Digital Decay

Add the hour of birth to an egg's info page

It is possible to not know when Cave Time is. However, this argument is more alone the lines of forgetting or feeling that knowing when the time was is irrelevant. I still think the best solution would be to globally update the themes rather than add "EST" to the end. It does seem a little bit cramped and it seems weird. I can't place my finger on it.

I wouldn't have called it a fault with the themes. It's very nice that tj made extras - and very wonderful, given that many of us actually can't use the new default. But he said when that came in and when he said some older ones would have to go that it is a lot of work updating them all with each change, and that while he may add the time to others, he wasn't promising. As one who uses St Pat's, I can live with that. Far better than a situation where he decided to remove the alternatives.

But the hour of laying would be lovely.

This is an amazing idea.

it'd help with calculating time of birth and death,thus making breeding dragons that have relation to time,or experimenting,WAY easier. Also,it'd motivate others to make Cave-Time visible on the other themes.

I'll add my support - having a precise time of breeding would be a huge help in hunting Solstices, because this year... yeah, getting off topic. Support!

full support! solves a LOT of problems, the Solstice issue included

Edited by Red2111

This is an excellent suggestion, this would be especially helpful in hunting Solstices. Full support.

The themes will have to be updated across the board to have Cave Time displayed. There is no solution short of this.

Actually, there is. If you really need to look up Cave Time, go to the FAQ to find which time zone it is. Log out of your account and go to the DC main page. (Which should reset your theme to default.) Or visit DC from a different browser. (Should also reset your theme to default, as you can only be logged in on one browser at a time.)

The themes will have to be updated across the board to have Cave Time displayed. There is no solution short of this.

Actually, there is. If you really need to look up Cave Time, go to the FAQ to find which time zone it is. Log out of your account and go to the DC main page. (Which should reset your theme to default.) Or visit DC from a different browser. (Should also reset your theme to default, as you can only be logged in on one browser at a time.)

Clicking an action and checking the time in the action log also works. I used to hide and immediately unhide something before we got the clock.

Not sure if someone else has highlighted, but the issues of all themes not showing DC time and having the hour added to an egg are two completely independent issues. (Not that I have an issue with other themes lacking DC time, but I digress.) An hour indicator on eggs is to show what time the egg was bred which can then be used to assess what form the dragon will hatch out to be. Just because I have a DC time clock doesn't tell me what time some other user in the world bred their egg- two separate issues.

On the Solstice night/day indicator thread, several of us have already highlighted that the AP's counter is extremely deceiving since you don't know if the person abandoned the egg exactly when they bred it, and the AP adds however much time to the egg to fill it back up to 7 days (with an hour being the max), on top of the whole "AP wall" issue. Again, having DC time on a skin is not going to solve this issue- that's what adding the hour to the egg page is to address. Not to mention, people tend to rule out the human factor in all of this- some people just get confused as to when they're supposed to breed what dragons at what time, even when they have DC time available or even live in the same part of the world. It sounds silly, but it happened to me when trading with other users quite a bit (this was during a holiday period however, where things get busy & crazy). I have to just trust that they bred it correctly only to find out later it wasn't the case.

(The reason why I want to separate these issues is because TJ has already commented on the "DC clock on other skins" topic and it essentially boiled down to being too much coding for little reward and the overall consideration for the idea was it's highly unlikely to happen. Adding the hour to the egg/dragon's page is a separate idea that addresses totally separate issues and I'd hate for it not to be accepted in-cave because it got lumped with an idea we already got feedback from TJ on in that it's not a good suggestion.)

Edited by bluesonic1

Yes please!

Support!

Also adding the time and not just how many days left to how many days until you can breed a dragon again.

Yeah, this would be handy to know. Support. (yeah, sometimes I can support things ya know!!) tongue.gif

At the very least, the exact time of breeding/catching in the cave should be shown as long as the egg/hatchling is still growing (=not adult and not frozen).

Support.

(PS. the theme and the clock is a very poor anti for such a suggestion, I must say.

We used to have no clock at all and still our time-influenced dragons were depending on it and we had to deal with it on our own with outer clocks or choose to go blind, just because your fav theme doesn't have a clock and just because you don't want to use the theme which does contain clock is simply... erm... no comment. Why the 'I don't need/want=others shouldn't have even if I wouldn't be influenced' attitude?)

Edited by VixenDra

(PS. the theme and the clock is a very poor anti for such a suggestion, I must say.

We used to have no clock at all and still our time-influenced dragons were depending on it and we had to deal with it on our own with outer clocks or choose to go blind, just because your fav theme doesn't have a clock and just because you don't want to use the theme which does contain clock is simply... erm... no comment. Why the 'I don't need/want=others shouldn't have even if I wouldn't be influenced' attitude?)

Full support on this.

I myself have used the Portal light theme for years and just currently changed to default, simply because I felt like it (and it fits better).

Everyone who is on DC has internet access. So everyone should be capable of googling "world time" and voíla - there's a whole bunch of websites where one can look up the current time everywhere in the world. I used to do that a lot.

At the very least, the exact time of breeding/catching in the cave should be shown as long as the egg/hatchling is still growing (=not adult and not frozen).

That would be awesome.

Full support on this.

I myself have used the Portal light theme for years and just currently changed to default, simply because I felt like it (and it fits better).

Everyone who is on DC has internet access. So everyone should be capable of googling "world time" and voíla - there's a whole bunch of websites where one can look up the current time everywhere in the world. I used to do that a lot.

Again, I'd like to point out that having easy access to DC-time doesn't help you know what time some random user bred a certain dragon whose egg you picked up in the AP...

There is one very big problem with the theme, though; Cave Time is never displayed on the theme. Anywhere. So for those running the default theme, you're laughing. You're calling me crazy. But it's a problem consistent with all of the themes, so with this as a problem, it is major. Optional user functionality is affected, so giving one group of users something while disallowing the other group the feature is unfair and creates a schism.

I agree with the cave time being added to all themes. I myself use the St. Patrick's Day theme because it loads quicker (which makes hunting easier).

I also agree with the main idea of the thread, as it would be a very useful feature.

Honestly this would be useful for not just raising certain dragons but estimating time left. With an actual date and time, you can calculate how much a dragon has to grow just by looking at the page, rather than just estimating or digging through the Action page.

So, I support.

Fully support this! Only issue I see with this is that the birth times for older eggs may not be stored anywhere depending on how the logging system works, but if they aren't it definitely shouldn't be too hard to start logging it now, depending on how much storage space is available on the servers.

Full support to this thread's idea and agree about missing clock on other themes, standard features should be available in all themes.

and agree about missing clock on other themes, standard features should be available in all themes.

TJ posted - when he retired some skins - that the amount of work involved in doing these things for all skins is just too much and that it was not going to happen. As someone who has to use St Pat's for many reasons I support him on that, irritating though it is. The easy way around it is to open a second browser and have the cave page open there - it shows cave time. But I can't say I have ever found it all that urgent. And lord knows I am picky and fuss about pretty much everything !