Zovesta

Peanuts

Wow, did a quick search, no topic for this yet?

Whether you're talking about the new movie, the comics, or the now nearly traditional Christmas special, are you a Peanuts fan?

Not gonna talk about the plot, but the 3D on the new movie looks excellent. Anyone planning on seeing it? Tell me about your Peanuts experiences!

Edited by Zovesta

Tbh, the 3D I've seen in adverts for the new movie looks/feels kinda weird. On top of not looking right for something like Peanuts, it's got this weird digital, not-quite-polished sheen to it that just feels... off. Like it's coming out of some '90s video game where the 3D animation technique hasn't quite been honed yet. And I know not liking the animation style may be a superficial complaint, but I really don't want to watch the new movie - in large part because the way they decided to animate it feels so weird. (In some ways, it feels like, "Well, if they can't do a good job respecting the original animation and/or creating a good version of more modern-looking animation, then what does that signal for how they've treated the script?")

That said, I love Peanuts. I have actually been involved in several productions of the musical, You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown, and the one thing I always miss in that musical is Patty and Marcy's relationship, since they're not really shown much, and they're not really shown interacting with each other.

(In some ways, it feels like, "Well, if they can't do a good job respecting the original animation and/or creating a good version of more modern-looking animation, then what does that signal for how they've treated the script?")

Actually, from what I've heard, the creators of the Peanuts movie took a lot of effort to keep it faithful to how Schulz would have wanted it. His children were really involved in the production.

I enjoyed the movie. The animation I felt was a nice middle ground between modern CGI and the traditional hand drawn source material. There are a lot of references to the older peanuts movie and comics and the characters are very faithful to them as well. One comment I heard from a classmate was that they didn't want to see the movie because they feared it would only be about Snoopy. Charlie Brown is really the center of this movie in story and conflict.

Edited by Daydreamer09

Actually, from what I've heard, the creators of the Peanuts movie took a lot of effort to keep it faithful to how Schulz would have wanted it. His children were really involved in the production.

I enjoyed the movie. The animation I felt was a nice middle ground between modern CGI and the traditional hand drawn source material. There are a lot of references to the older peanuts movie and comics and the characters are very faithful to them as well. One comment I heard from a classmate was that they didn't want to see the movie because they feared it would only be about Snoopy. Charlie Brown is really the center of this movie in story and conflict.

I'm glad to hear that they did a good job with the script. I'm not sure that I want to sit through it, though - it's embarrassingly superficial, but the style of animation I saw in the adverts just weirded/creeped me out way too much. XP

I adored the peanuts movie, it felt like I was watching the old shows and reading the comics again. I liked how the art style was definitely 3D but some things like the facial features looked like they were drawn on making it look like just a high quality comic.

The snoopy sections were great, I thought linus sounded exactly the same as he did in the old shows and although there were some cringe moments it was still Peanuts!

My only complaint was I thought the ending was too nice... but it was decent.