Skyal

Dragons you saw in the Wilderness

Anyone seen interesting or surprising dragons in the Wilderness?

I know I'm always surprised to see Golds & Silvers there, no matter how messy the lineage, but I just saw several cave born Golds there and I was curious what other people have found. Here's the CB Golds: http://dragcave.net/view/WtaLX , http://dragcave.net/view/Dwfe, http://dragcave.net/view/n5WI

I also found this dragon http://dragcave.net/view/RZZnh whose father is also in the wilderness.

The CB very rare dragons probably are hardest for me to understand why they were released since they're so hard to get.

In some cases, it could be an accident. I accidentally released a 2nd gen prize... I learned not to play DC (or at least to stay off the actions page!) when I was very tired!

I didn't even consider people might somehow accidentally release something. Probably because I always forget I *can* release dragons.

Most of them I click on are obviously wrong gender or just really, really messy lineage, but some are really curious. Like 2 papers, another dino http://dragcave.net/view/D4Ne and several black alts.

I saw a Caligene in the Wilderness today, but forgot to save the link :\

Still though, WHY? blink.gif

That's my question, too.

It would be really interesting to have release dates on the wilderness dragons, though.

Edit: I haven't come across any Neglecteds. Just lots of Dinos (last reload I checked had THREE), Golds, Silvers, Papers. A couple of CB Christmas dragons.

Edited by Skyal

Sometimes people release dragons which are special to them and which they don't want to ever breed or have offspring from again. Or they clear their scroll to start over fresh in the game. People release dragons for many personal reasons. I would never release a dragon unless I seriously wanted it off my scroll with prejudice for some odd reason, but I've read people say a lot of reasons to do so.

Edited by Lurhstaap

I have also released ones who refused their mates. I had one refuse three mates, and the mates were super difficult to get. So I tossed it out and gave up on the line entirely.

Edited by harlequinraven

I released a CB Ribbon Dancer back when we were under the 2 Holiday dragon total limit, because I wanted a frozen hatchling.

-Le sigh- dry.gif

Edited by Wahya

I think the dragons from burnt scrolls ended up in the wild for a while. I don't know if this is still the case, though. But if the AP is very low-time, hatchies that have enough views can grow up behind the wall of eggs and end up in the wild.

And cb christmas dragons were released by a couple of people who wanted to build lineages with them when we still had the overall limit of 2.

When the encyclopedia came out, I copied the links of all rare or special wilderness dragons for my post in the encyclopedia helpers thread, I was surprised how many of them are out there. I even found a neglected and a guardian of nature.

That's a good question about the burned scrolls. Would explain things like the Neglected being in the wilderness. I just can't imagine going through all the work of getting one only to release it. Although I suppose someone may have managed one accidentally and not realised what they had.

I've been going through a phase of releasing any dragons I can't use. For example, a gold that had a messy lineage. I just don't see the point in keeping them, and they're not THAT rare. I've been having trouble with whether I should release some messy lineage dragons that have neat codes though. Not really a code collector but I've got Pipa and MmPip. MmPip has a nice lineage too, wish I'd frozen them though.

Two CB Marrows, a CB s2 Yulebuck, a Cheese, a Paper, a CB Snow Angel, an alt Black, two CB Golds, a CB Radiant Angel, various Dinos, a CB Pumpkin, a CB Bright Pink, a CB Rosebud, a CB Ribbon Dancer, a CB Frill....

Why oh why can't I go hunting feral dragons?? sad.gif

Oh. Ok.

Seen: CB sweetling, CB black marrow, to many cheeses, to many papers, maybe 20 dinos, CB frill, alt black, and the list goes on.

Oh. Ok.

Seen: CB sweetling, CB black marrow, to many cheeses, to many papers, maybe 20 dinos, CB frill, alt black, and the list goes on.

Someone probably wanted a better code leetle, or maybe a burned scroll.

Edited by harlequinraven

If there isn't another thread for this exactly, there is a nifty one that actually "collects" dragons in the wilderness so people name them and possibly write stories about interesting ones. So there are other threads listing and providing links to dragons in the wilderness with tons of Alts, Neglecteds, Rare dragons, Dinos/Papers, all sorts of things, and they aren't really that surprising to see.

If you really want, you can just hit F5 and spend an hour or two and get a pretty good idea that tons of dragons exist out there and it isn't an uncommon site to see super rare ones there.

As to why... well when people leave the game, sometimes they want to clear their scrolls so they make sure they won't or don't come back. Maybe they feel they are freeing their dragons. I know I release tons of dragons cause to me if I'm not actively using them, I don't generally want them on my scroll, I'm picky about lineages, but if they have offspring I don't want to mess up lines for others. Also if people are leaving, maybe they don't want the off chance idea someone might hack their scroll and idk... use their name or something, so having a scroll without any dragons would prevent any one from wanting to steal it.

I know of a few people, and there have probably been many others, who have decided to start fresh on their scroll (this person decided they would only have super shiny dragons) and so they let go of almost everything and just started fresh. Since you can have only one Scroll per ToS, if you want to restart it or redesign it for some reason, releasing dragons is an easy way to do that.

I didn't want to fall below a silver trophy when I did mine, and spent a lot of time at a silver trophy, because I would release a messy line for every new nice dragon I got.

Additionally, what is it going to do for someone else if someone keeps or releases a CB anything rare? They can't "give" it away... they can't transfer it it... The only scenario where you can "give" someone your dragons is if you are "giving" them your scroll and that person then has to be willing to give up their other scroll so they stay in the ToS.

Additionally, some people just imagine they are setting their dragons free for whatever story line. Or some people do it as a form of protest. Let's say something changes (art design, they don't like the breed's new elemental alignment, whatever), they may choose to "release" these dragons and no longer have them on their scroll. Also if the person is leaving DC and maybe protesting something about the game, they will make sure they leave in a way that makes a statement or makes sure they will never return. So they make sure their scroll is emptied and their forum account gets banned. And some people are just into various stories and RP. I used to NEVER allow Zombies on my scroll. Now they have a reason to be on my scroll due to various experiments and observation only. But if someone wanted a ... "light" or "dark" scroll only, they might have to release the dragons that an elemental alignment that falls out of what they want to accomplish. Maybe I am holding something as a gift and someone didn't pick it up in time and I didn't want it to grow up on my scroll. So I let it free.... There are a million reasons to free something to the wilderness. A lot of people view this as kinder than killing them.

And also, a lot of other people have fun with how the various random dragons form as a "dragon group" on the wilderness pages on reloads. They will "adopt" these groups, watch them, name them, write stories about them.... freeing them allows a lot of other options for the general public. And if you are leaving the game or choose not to keep a dragon for many reasons, it is actually a kind thing to do for the dragon and the player base. Because again, its not like you can gift it to another individual. So this way they free it to gift it to the rest of the world.

Edited by natayah

A quick question. Is there any way of knowing exactly how many dragons are in the wilderness?

I sometimes go F5 that page just to see what's out there and it appears there are lots and lots.

Edited by Barb_