Droiline

Temeraire's Chinese Lineage

Hello all, I'm Droiline and I like creating naming patterns in my lair, which, after doing a little reading, I found totally counts as a lineage of sorts and surprisingly enough, this particular one isn't already taken biggrin.gif.

This lineage is inspired by the naming tradition used for Chinese dragons in Naomi Novik's Temeraire series, as such, any breed can be involved and any number of new, unrelated dragons can join.

News

<07-12-2015> Added Terminology section, adjusted the rules to be less ambiguous.

<06-12-2015> Added more dragon names!

<05-12-2015> Created Lineage thread.

Terminology

• Naming Standard - the set of rules relating to a dragon's name that define whether a dragon qualifies as part of a lineage.
  • Breeding Standard - the set of rules relating to a dragon's breed, ancestors, mates or offspring that define whether a dragon qualifies as part of a lineage.
  • Dynasty - a set of dragons related by blood or breeding, all of which adhere to the naming standard of this lineage and none of which are related by blood or breeding to a dragon that does not adhere to the naming standard of this lineage.
  • Lineage Family - same thing as a Dynasty.
  • Singleton - a dragon without relatives.
  • Lineage Singleton - a dragon without relatives who adheres to this lineage's naming standard.
  • Breed Title - a Chinese word or short phrase that describe a particular breed. There can only be one for each breed.
  • Purist Lineage - a lineage where having a relative outside of the lineage disqualifies that dragon from being a member of the lineage.
  • Given Name - any part of a dragon's name that is not their Breed Title.

Rules

To qualify for this lineage, a dragon must pass both these naming and breeding standards.

Naming Standard:

• The first word of a dragon's name must be the Breed Title for that dragon's breed.
  • The name as a whole cannot contain numbers or special characters (excluding '-' for double-barrelled names).
  • The name must consist only of nouns or proper nouns.
Breeding Standard:
  • A dragon is not considered part of this lineage if they are in any way related to a dragon that does not adhere to the name or breeding standard of this lineage. This is a Purist Lineage.
Suggestions to alterations or additions to the rules are welcome! Just make sure they are fun/interesting. velociraptor.png

Joining

To join, you can either:

• Take an unbred caveborn dragon and name it according to our naming standard
  • Rename a mated couple, all their offspring, all dragons mated to their offspring, all of those dragon's ancestors and all their relatives to match the naming standard. Dragons related to this family but who are not on your scroll must also abide by the naming standard.
  • Acquire the egg of one of the actively breeding Dynasties and name this according to our naming standard
MembersCurrent Dynasties

Dynasties are named by taking the given names of the oldest dragon of a line and their first mate, and putting a hyphen between them.

Uncommon

CommonCurrent Breed Titles

Albino - Baihua

Anagallis - Shexian

Balloon - Qiqiu

Black - Hei

Black Capped Teimarr - Heise Mei

Black Tea - Cha

Blacktip - Hei Qi

Bleeding Moon - Xieye

Blue-Banded - Dai

Blusang Lindwurm - Yanshui

Bright-Breasted Wyvern - Xiānyàn

Brinstone - Liuhuang

Brute - Wuli

Canopy - Huagai

Carmine Wyvern - Yanzhi

Cassare - Chexiao

Cheese - Nailao

Coastal Waverunner - Yanhai

Copper - Tong

Crimson Flare Pygmy - Shanguang

Dark Green - Shen Lu

Day Dream - Zuomeng

Deep Sea - Shenhai

Electric - Dianqi

Imperial Fleshcrownes - Luan

Gemshard - Baoshí

Gold - Jin

Gold-Horned Tangars - Jin Jiao

Golden Wyverns -

Lunar Herald - Taiyin changed from Yue

Magi - Wushi

Moonstone - Yue

Nebula - Xing

Nhiostrife Wyvern - Haoqi

Pillow - Bu

Purple - Zise

Pyralspite - Liu shi considering Guang

Red - Hong

Shimmer-Scale - Dan Guang

Silver - Yin

Spirit Ward - Jingshen changed from Gui Han

Striped River - He

Sunstone - Yang

Swallow - Yan

Terrae - Tu

Thunder - Lei

Tinsel - Bo

White - Bai

Xenowyrm (Gaia) - Jia Yu

Xenowyrm (Mageia) - Wushi Yu

Xenowyrm (Thalassa) - Shui Yu

Xenowyrm (Pyro) - Jiao Yu

Xenowyrm (Chrono) - Xijian Yu

Adding To and Changing the List

The names so far have been chosen by me sitting with google translate and playing until I found a noise that seemed to hold a suitable meaning and was aesthetically pleasing. If you think another name sounds nicer, or you have experience with the Chinese language and can offer a more accurate phrase, please do make those suggestions in this thread and we can discuss them. If a change is made I would like everyone to make an effort to alter the names of the species members involved, but failure to do so will not land you in trouble.

So there we go. Want to join the lineage?

Edited by Droiline

Before I join, I do want to know... Can you add names for one more dragon? I have a Golden Wyverns (It's lineage is pretty fine, they have 1 child, and the parents are Cave Born) So it would be really cool if I can add in my Golden Wyverns (If not, I'm fine with it. No problemo)

Edited by TheDragonofGold

I would like to join the lineage with my magi, he was CB. His name is Wushi-Zhugong.

Here are some phrases for you, I take Mandarin in school.:

Deep Sea: Shenhai

Pyralspite: Guang

Nebula: Xing

Black Tea: Cha

Gaia Xenowyrm: Jia Kaishi

Lunar Herald: Yue

Pillow: Bu

Black: Wan

Gold Wyvern: Jin

My scroll: http://dragcave.net/user/blackteadragon

Edited by ValkyrieXx

Hm, sounds interesting ^^ I have a few questions though, for names of the next generation would it be alright to add II or III to show what generation they are? Or is that not following the tradition of naming?

Also, for Pyralspites, would that name be for all Pyralspite variations (Pyrope, Almandine, & Spessartine)? Or would it be better to have different names for each variation? Perhaps a variation of the name Lui shi? (Would a variation needed to be done for all dragons with a variation (Nebulas, Xenowyrms, Lunar Heralds, etc)?)

It may be good to try to make a list for all dragons, if possible, so that others when they join can see it. Unless you want this to be only certain breeds of dragons?

Oh wowwie, I didn't expect such a fast response!

TheDragonofGold, about the species names - the eventual aim is to have every species named on here (perhaps with the exception of old holiday dragons), and they are being added as they become relevant smile.gif

So yeah, we can definitely add Gold Wyverns! But we'll have to discuss their name...

ValkyrieXx, thank you very much! Do you know what the best word for wyvern would be? We can't just use Jin for the Gold Wyverns as there are also Gold dragons and Gold-Horned Tangars.

Also, what is the difference between Wan and Hei? And between Guang and Lui shi? What does Yue mean? How did you translate Xenowyrm??

Oh and I found a bunch of different ways of writing Magi/Wizard/Sorcerer, would Yaoren fit better than Wushi?

It can be difficult to find the nuances when using a translator happy.gif

~X~, I suppose some people do have numbers in their names, like in royal lines, so we could allow it? Might open up the discussion now it's not just me here biggrin.gif. How would you feel about putting generational information into the description?

Finally, the subspecies/colour variances question. I did wonder about this when I walked away from the computer today - do we want to have a general species name and then a variation name added on?

There are two kinds of variations - one that comes out randomly through breeding, like Nebulas and Gemshards, and the one where you effectively have a handful of very similar looking but seperate species, like with the Pyralspites and Xenowyrms (have I got that right?).

Personally I think that the former should just come under one name (though there is nothing stopping you from calling your gemshard Baoshi Blue John if you liked), but there is certainly an argument to be made for giving different names with shared parts to the latter type. What does everyone else think?

Finally, is there such thing as pinging in this forum? Or a standard way to let people know you've replied to them 0_o?

Track track track..... There it is! That's handy to know smile.gif does alert you to edits as well as posts or only new posts?

And yep, Shun and Tai look good to go! So are the wyverns as soon as a good name is figured out. If you like you can use Jin Shuang Zu as a place holder (means something like Double Footed Gold) until we figure out something a little more elegant.

Do you know of a really good concise way of listing family groups? So far I've been just been listing the personal names of the head pair in each line - should we perhaps also link to them or to the scroll they're on?

Oh wowwie, I didn't expect such a fast response!

TheDragonofGold, about the species names - the eventual aim is to have every species named on here (perhaps with the exception of old holiday dragons), and they are being added as they become relevant smile.gif

So yeah, we can definitely add Gold Wyverns! But we'll have to discuss their name...

ValkyrieXx, thank you very much! Do you know what the best word for wyvern would be? We can't just use Jin for the Gold Wyverns as there are also Gold dragons and Gold-Horned Tangars.

Also, what is the difference between Wan and Hei? And between Guang and Lui shi? What does Yue mean? How did you translate Xenowyrm??

Oh and I found a bunch of different ways of writing Magi/Wizard/Sorcerer, would Yaoren fit better than Wushi?

~X~, I suppose some people do have numbers in their names, like in royal lines, so we could allow it? Might open up the discussion now it's not just me here biggrin.gif. How would you feel about putting generational information into the description?

Finally, the subspecies/colour variances question. I did wonder about this when I walked away from the computer today - do we want to have a general species name and then a variation name added on?

There are two kinds of variations - one that comes out randomly through breeding, like Nebulas and Gemshards, and the one where you effectively have a handful of very similar looking but seperate species, like with the Pyralspites and Xenowyrms (have I got that right?).

Personally I think that the former should just come under one name (though there is nothing stopping you from calling your gemshard Baoshi Blue John if you liked), but there is certainly an argument to be made for giving different names with shared parts to the latter type. What does everyone else think?

Finally, is there such thing as pinging in this forum? Or a standard way to let people know you've replied to them 0_o?

If all dragon breeds are to be added to this lineage then this will definitely be a challenge ^^ But that is fine.

For naming help, perhaps:

Gold - Jin or Fansi or Fanying or Fanguang

Gold Wyverns - Jinshu

Shimmers - Dan guang

Tinsel - Jiang or Bo

Silver - Yin or Hui guang or Faguang

Those are just a few but I can try to look at more. Generation information could be in the description if the user wants. I was more asking for owner purposes when breeding and etc. It is really up to you since this is your line ^^

I think keeping it under one name would be best as well, it may become too complicated otherwise for others to keep up and also, limited in characters for naming.

Listing the family groups in each line like you have will work and adding their link will probably be the best. So anyone catch a CB dragon and naming it as such? Will there be a limit to people doing this? or will it always be open?

Edited by ~X~

@~X~

Ok, since it's up to me, I'd prefer not having numbers in their names.

What I was thinking was that any dragon at all can be a member of this lineage as long as all their relatives fit the naming requirement. It would be nice to cover as many species as possible, so personally I'm going to avoid duplicate species.

Also, just had a new thought. I hear sometimes dragons have three egg clutches and you can only keep one? We could have things called fake/partial or servant lines whose eggs could be given in exchange for the lost true lineage eggs? Is that getting too intricate?

Anywho, I'm off to sleep now (English time zone). I may not have answered all the questions yet, but my brain is starting to melt, talk later!

PS: Dragon of Gold, I am loving your icon - super shiny that.

Night!

~X~

Oh, and the aim isn't to have every species involved in the lineage, just to have all the names up there happy.gif

And yes, there's no limit, although much of the paperwork will have to be moved to open spreadsheets I imagine so everyone can help keep things up to date.

Currently I'm only listing actively breeding pairs under the "Current Dynasties" Section, although I haven't quite decided what constitutes a dynasty....

Does anyone want to take up the position of spreadsheet boss and set up sheets to keep track of all the dragons?

TheDragonofGold

I think I prefer Jingshen biggrin.gif

Ah alright, so just those in the first post. Could I request that Moonstone, Gold, and Silver are added to the list?

(sorry if I am not catching on as fast x'D brain is over-working =p)

Also, as a suggestion if Moonstone is allowed, can Yue (Moon) be for Moonstone and Taiyin (lunar) be for Lunar Heralds?

As for what constitutes as a dynasty, that I feel will be largely up to. Since a dynasty usually has to do with sequence of rulers from the same family or can be a dynasty from members of a family with influence and power in certain areas, I am not sure what would be defined as dynasty for our dragons. Perhaps after a certain number of offspring from the current dynasty, a new could arise from new CB pairs? Or maybe some current offspring that decide to claim a new dynasty?

I am not sure how that would work but those are just some ideas. Though I may have gone too technical =/

Edited by ~X~

~X~

Oh, and the aim isn't to have every species involved in the lineage, just to have all the names up there happy.gif

And yes, there's no limit, although much of the paperwork will have to be moved to open spreadsheets I imagine so everyone can help keep things up to date.

Currently I'm only listing actively breeding pairs under the "Current Dynasties" Section, although I haven't quite decided what constitutes a dynasty....

Does anyone want to take up the position of spreadsheet boss and set up sheets to keep track of all the dragons?

Maybe for a spreadsheet, you could set up Lineage Moderators and have a group of people manage a spreadsheet, rather than one person. Because that can get overwhelming.

Since there is a high likelihood of having multiple lineages per dragon breeds, maybe once a lineage with the breed exists, a dynasty begins, and in each dynasty are smaller sets of families, which can be identified by the first two dragons' names (the given species name and then whatever follows, seeing as how DC is set up we'll have to have a following name).

I couldn't help but jump in. I've only read His Majesty's Dragon but I loved it so much okay.

ALSO: Can I request that Sunstone and Nhiostrife be added to the list?

And one more thing. Does each lineage have to be purebred?

Edited by arya10

Your welcome!

For Gold Wyverns you could use

Dòufu: Means tofu, but in China during the New Year, eating fried tofu symbolizes riches and wealth, because it looks like blocks of gold.

Qián: Money

Jinse: Golden

Zhengui: Precious

ALSO: Can I request that Sunstone and Nhiostrife be added to the list?

This is from a user earlier:

Sunstone: Rì guāngshí or Taiyang

Nhiostrife: Haoqi

Black is directly translated into Hei, there are many options though, because there are so many dialects, like Cantonese.

Liu Shi: A Chinese Actress and Ballerina, it can also mean Six Is. Guang, means polished.

I really like Wushi, it sounds good.

Xenowyrm is not a word, so I made close translations

Gaia Xenowyrm: Jia Yu

Mageia Xenowyrm: Wushi Yu

Thalassa Xenowyrm: Shui Yu

Pyro Xenowyrm: Jiao Yu

Chrono Xenowyrm: Xijian Yu

Yu means a Worm in a mythical sense

Yue means Moon

Edited by ValkyrieXx

If I could, I would like to claim two lines.. one common and one rare.

Dark Green (Vine) - Shen Lu - Shen Lu Draconna Ryu and Shen Lu Draconna Yi

Silver - ??? - http://dragcave.net/lineage/Bb7LV

I'll change the current names on the Silvers once I know they're accepted, and know what the proper name for silver is.

Draconna is the surname for most of the dragons on my scroll, but will be used as their family name for this lineage...

surname - Shen Lu

family name - Draconna

call name - ___________

So all of my vine lineage dragons would be named Shen Lu Draconna _____

and all of my silver lineage dragons would be named _____ Draconna _____

Do lineages have to be purebred, and if yes, are there any acceptable abbreviations for lineage names for dragons from multiple lineages?

Edited by Infinis

Ok, we have Moonstone, Sunstone, Gold, Silver, Nhiostrife and the Xenowyrms added, and the confusion between lunar herald and moonstone (hopefully) sorted.

I'll do my best to answer all the new replies, but to give me a prod if I've missed you out.

Dynasty is what I'm currently calling a lineage family and they are named after the given name of the oldest mated couple. Might change this system later.

Dragons must be related to other dragons to be part of a dynasty, unbred cavebornes are not members of a dynasty.

Dynasties can be any mixture of breeds you like and there can be multiple dynasties with overlapping or identical breed sets.

arya10 happy.gif I'm currently on the last book and AAAAHH so much happens.

Breathe.

Spreadsheets sound good, but I currently have very little time to set one up or maintain it. Should of thought this through before posting the idea probably but I was young and foolish shades.png

Cinnamin Draconna, I'm afraid Ryu and Yi don't qualify for the lineage as they are related to dragons who don't meet the name requirement :/. Same problem with the silvers.

That aside, I would be fine with you adding a scroll-related shared name on top of the chinese species name as long as the individuals involved meet the requirements stated in the rules.

Infinis, having Temeraire is definitely a win! But that doesn't mean he can be part of the lineage without meeting the family and naming requirements wink.gif

Bedtime now. Tomorrow I may go over my original rules and try to make them less ambiguous - they seem to be confusing people tongue.gif

I figured, that's why I removed that part of the post x3 but it didn't hurt to ask anyway! xd.png

Dynasty is what I'm currently calling a lineage family and they are named after the given name of the oldest mated couple. Might change this system later.

Dragons must be related to other dragons to be part of a dynasty, unbred cavebornes are not members of a dynasty.

Dynasties can be any mixture of breeds you like and there can be multiple dynasties with overlapping or identical breed sets.

This is kind of confusing. ;_; So any 2G+ dragons that are part of the lineage are part of a dynasty? I don't really know what you mean by lineage family. ;a;

Are you sure you meant given name? I ask because given name is the first name (f. ex., Tabitha) whereas family name (f. ex., Yin) is the surname. xd.png;

Also for multiple breed lines - how do I handle naming offspring from these? Should I carry down multiple family names, carry only the mom's/dad's family, or abbreviate so I can fit as many family names as possible?

(I'll be joining, I just need to figure out non-PB pair offspring naming and to testbreed my intended PB pair(s).)

I am in the same boat as Infinis as I plan to join, just need to figure what pairs are allowed and how to go about naming the offspring.

To be pairs for this lineaghs, the species do not need to be the same correct?

(Like a nebula and a moonstone can breed and be apart of the lineage correct? As long as they have the correct naming?)

Edited by ~X~

Ok, we have Moonstone, Sunstone, Gold, Silver, Nhiostrife and the Xenowyrms added, and the confusion between lunar herald and moonstone (hopefully) sorted.

I'll do my best to answer all the new replies, but to give me a prod if I've missed you out.

arya10 happy.gif I'm currently on the last book and AAAAHH so much happens.

Breathe.

Spreadsheets sound good, but I currently have very little time to set one up or maintain it. Should of thought this through before posting the idea probably but I was young and foolish shades.png

Cinnamin Draconna, I'm afraid Ryu and Yi don't qualify for the lineage as they are related to dragons who don't meet the name requirement :/. Same problem with the silvers.

That aside, I would be fine with you adding a scroll-related shared name on top of the chinese species name as long as the individuals involved meet the requirements stated in the rules.

Infinis, having Temeraire is definitely a win! But that doesn't mean he can be part of the lineage without meeting the family and naming requirements wink.gif

Bedtime now. Tomorrow I may go over my original rules and try to make them less ambiguous - they seem to be confusing people tongue.gif

I can be a moderator, if you need extra help, but I also have my own lineage, The Pillow Lineage, so I would have to balance that too.

I'm confused... the two vines are caveborn and their other offspring would NOT be considered part of this project. If the caveborns need to be childless, you should state that in the rules.

Same thing for the silvers.. if they need to be childless, it needs to be stated.

Otherwise, all four of my caveborns should be eligible, once they are named properly.

Im set on joining this lineage, but I'm just going to wait until everything sorts out.