Sinion Kabe

Black Alts

What type of Black Alt breeding successes have you had?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This will end up being my 8th attempt at breeding a 2nd Gen Pure Bred Black Alt.

I have done some basic research on the best combos to produce a Black Alt by looking at random scrolls over a period of time. And, from what I have personally seen, many of the Black Alt's seem to be produced via messy high gen lineages! In particular, the Black and Gold dragon combo seems to produce a decent number of Alts.

Am I fighting a losing battle by hoping to produce a Black Alt by using two Black CB dragons? Or, is this actually possible to do but just less likely?

I guess I created this topic as extra research to help myself and any other DC users on the best dragon combos. Here's to hoping that you veteran DC'ers can shed some light on this? And here's to also hoping that there is some sort of formula for breeding Black Alts, as opposed to breeding success being completely random, thus deeming this topic pointless! If so, maybe this thread can still serve as a discussion on current success stories for breeding methods.

Add as much information as you can, including links to lineages smile.gif

Actually, I don't think that the lineage has something to do with it. Black x gold and purebred blacks are just very popular combinations that have been bred ever since the breeds existed, so there are simply a lot of them out there - both alts and regular ones.

About messy alts: Blacks were one of the first breeds, I believe they were in the cave even before we had lineage view, so there are simply more messy blacks out there than messy newer releases. Plus, as they can alt, people are less likely to bite or kill messy blacks. If they don't alt, they often end up frozen or in the wild.

Alt blacks have been very rare in the past year - talking about the successful gold x black combo, check these progeny lists wink.gif

Edited by Ha-Ki

Well i don't know about alt Blacks, but i have produced an alt Vine 2nd gen. I'm on my phone so i can't link, but it is possible to create 2nd gen alts. I have yet to produce or see a 2nd gen alt Black, but I don't see why that wouldn't be possible.

I've seen a few 2nd gen PB Black Alts. There was a rumor going around that Black Alts were more commonly produced when breeding with a Gold, but I don't think that's actually true. It was just a common pairing that ended up making a bunch of alts because it was popular, and then people hoping to get an alt ended up going along with the pairing just in case.

Actually, I don't think that the lineage has something to do with it. Black x gold and purebred blacks are just very popular combinations that have been bred ever since the breeds existed, so there are simply a lot of them out there - both alts and regular ones. my progeny list

About messy alts: Blacks were one of the first breeds, I believe they were in the cave even before we had lineage view, so there are simply more messy blacks out there than messy newer releases. Plus, as they can alt, people are less likely to bite or kill messy blacks. If they don't alt, they often end up frozen or in the wild.

Alt blacks have been very rare in the past year - talking about the successful gold x black combo, check these progeny lists wink.gif

Just had to mention that I love those progeny names like "Alt - nope not me", "I'm trolling you", and "we'll never fulfill that alt IOU" x] At least having fun with the names, but I agree it is has been a dry time lately for alt blacks.

I definitely have not bred as many as you or as others, but I have a pair that produced alts for every other offspring and now, nothing =p My progeny list. Although, I have not seen a recent hatchling (in the past year or so) as the sitting alt. I do not know if that is because it is just that rare or something. You can still have a chance to hatch the sitting black alts right?

I can't vote, as I'm not sure what you mean by 3rd+ Gen PB Alts. I do have 2 3rd gen alts with all black lineages... but no 2 gens of any kind.

And I have seen 2 gen PB alts. Interestingly I DO have several 2 gen PB alt vines. I think people breed a lot of blacks to golds and that skews a bit - most people go for PB vines.

Of course you can get 2nd gen alts, PB Blacks that turn alt and 2nd gen PB Alts. The chances have more to do with timing as they tend to come in droves. There are "seasons" to it so to speak of "many curled alts", "almost no alts" and "sitting alts". If you look here at the PB pairing you see that I started breeding them in a "High alt" phase 5 out of the first 6 breedings turned alt, afterwards it calmed down.

Just be patient and you'll be fine.

Just for the record. I'm still missing a male PB 2nd gen Vine and only have 2 alt Vines at all. It only depends on which you collect more wink.gif

Edited by herk

This will end up being my 8th attempt at breeding a 2nd Gen Pure Bred Black Alt.

I have done some basic research on the best combos to produce a Black Alt by looking at random scrolls over a period of time. And, from what I have personally seen, many of the Black Alt's seem to be produced via messy high gen lineages! In particular, the Black and Gold dragon combo seems to produce a decent number of Alts.

Am I fighting a losing battle by hoping to produce a Black Alt by using two Black CB dragons? Or, is this actually possible to do but just less likely?

I guess I created this topic as extra research to help myself and any other DC users on the best dragon combos. Here's to hoping that you veteran DC'ers can shed some light on this? And here's to also hoping that there is some sort of formula for breeding Black Alts, as opposed to breeding success being completely random, thus deeming this topic pointless! If so, maybe this thread can still serve as a discussion on current success stories for breeding methods.

Add as much information as you can, including links to lineages smile.gif

The lineage Does not play any part in it.

Blacks and metallics were very en vogue some time back so naturally there is just a big pool of them around.

I have seen and owned alts from all sorts of combos!

Linking one of my 2nd gen PB alt blacks.

As far as I know, and I've been playing a long time, every bred black egg has an equal chance to alt. There's no "magic combination" that increases the chance. I've got alt blacks from many different pairings. The thing though is that the chance is fairly low o matter what you breed. I'd expect that it will take more than 8 tries to get one to alt, though as noted above they do seem to alt in clumps.

Messies have no greater chance to alt than 2nd gens. It's just that there were a ton of blacks bred before lineage view was available and we didn't worry very much about lineage then. So there are a lot of messies out there.

My advice is to just keep breeding. Eventually you'll get that 2nd gen PB alt. Send out a PM if you'd like and I can breed some of my CB black pairs and send you eggs.

Also, everything I've said about blacks applies to vines as well. I think I tried about 2 dozen vine pairs before breeding the 2nd gen PB I have.

I have twelve Alt Blacks: eleven 5+ gen from mildly-to-super messy lineages, and one PG 2g. I'm pretty sure the messy lineages are just because statistically there are more messy dragons than PB ones! (especially on my scroll tongue.gif)

About two weeks ago I started pushing to get another Alt before Christmas, and I bred 18 eggs before the 19th alted (plus two more before that one hatched). I'm not sure what the official odds are, but I did not realize how frustrating it would be with all my egg slots occupied, tapping my fingers waiting for nothing to happen.

I can't vote, as I'm not sure what you mean by 3rd+ Gen PB Alts.

fuzzbucket, my friend. I mean any Black Alt PB's that are 3rd Gen or higher.

Thanks for the input and links, guys. Appreciated. Good to know there are 2nd Gen PB's out there and that messy lineages aren't necessary. I have managed to breed Vine and Undine Alts (2nd Gen PB's) and they seem more common throughout the game, from what I've seen. It makes sense that there are intervals as to when you are able to successfully breed certain Alts. With the Blacks, there seems to be smaller and less frequent gaps as to when Alts are breedable.

If this is so, I hope the Black Alt interval comes around soon!

I sure hope we get more Alt Blacks soon, I've been trying to get alts to freeze for months.

No alts hatched from two black eggs. Tempted to nab some off of the AP or breed them just to see if the spell lasts.

My 2 cents:

http://dragcave.net/lineage/2NA9n

I have the 4 CBs of the bottom half. I also have alt blacks from the most varied lineages.

Wow, that lineage looks sweet!

Success combos are much broader than I first assumed which is good news cool.gif

Unfortunately, my 8th attempt at breeding a Black Alt 2nd Gen PB was another fail! unsure.gif

All of my Alts are like, super old (my adults being 7 years, the hatchling over 5), but each of them have completely different sorts of lineages. My adults are actually from the same father but different mothers; one's 2nd Gen, the other is 4th Gen with a semi-messy lineage, and well, check out that hatchling. But these were all back when Alts had a different egg sprite, so I had it easy.

I still genuinely believe it's a random occurrence & has nothing to do with pairings/lineages, though.

I'm really curious about the ratio of normal blacks to alts...might try breeding a bunch of them after the holidays to test it out.

Edited by skibbereenfarms

It seems that as soon as I abandon a bred Undine, Black, or Vine egg from my scroll with a lineage to the AP, it alts. RURGEHRYRHHH

I have personally never hatched a Black alt before. I've hatched undines and vines, never blacks, though.

I bred or caught from the AP quite a few messies (especially in my beginner's time), some of which hatched alt. My first one is almost as old as my account: https://dragcave.net/lineage/4gXz

The only PB and the only other nicely lineaged Black alt I have were both gifts.

OK then - I have two 3rd gen PBs

Funereal Calumnia and The Waltzing Alternative.

And a choice selection of others, some EG and some part of my insane project ending with himbiggrin.gif - who's not an alt at all, but who has a very interesting background (he's actually a 25th gen with the mos inbred lineage you could imagine and then some !)

Thanks for shining more light on the subject, guys smile.gif

Based on what I have seen in this thread so far, I agree with those who say that messy lineages does not give you a higher chance of breeding a Black Alt, however, the answer is not definitive.

I did see a Black Alt hatchling a few days ago so, hopefully, we'll see a few more cool.gif

I bred her when alt blacks were easy to get. Her matching mate has proven to be much harder to create. Alt vines have been easier to breed/catch than alt blacks, at least for me.

I bred her when alt blacks were easy to get. Her matching mate has proven to be much harder to create. Alt vines have been easier to breed/catch than alt blacks, at least for me.

Wow, most impressive Black Alt lineage that I have seen so far ohmy.gif

I hope we get another spurt like that in future unsure.gif

Actually, the answer IS definitive. Any bred black egg has a fixed, small, chance to alt. Lineage has nothing to do with it and never has. I've got a 2G PB black alt and an older messy from before I learned to care about lineage. tongue.gif Seriously though I promise you that all bred blacks are the same in terms of alting. Right now alts are very hard to get. I've been breeding dozens of PB G2s trying to get a male.

I'm back after a long break and am interested in alt blacks. I bred this and gave it away and it alted.

lineage - gold and black alts

I gather black alts are much harder to get these days.

Edited by sidoney

http://dragcave.net/progeny/NC5RL

http://dragcave.net/progeny/KYVZb

http://dragcave.net/progeny/jeFN7

http://dragcave.net/progeny/zrIs1

http://dragcave.net/progeny/Cq6lj

My highest progeny for the 5 CB black dragons i have bred over the last 3 months

the only alts i got were when i first got the dragons, i think the alt rate has lowered because used to have a higher chance

but im still making attempts