cyradis4

Change male Silver lineage Tile

If what you did is as drastic with the silvers as the magelights I think we may have a pretty good solution there. Given that the tiles are essentially identical between old and new, the difference being the subtler shading and the less pronounced outlines, meaning that a change in the size of the dragon in the tile is technically yet another change that might ruin even more lineages. A smarter resize may be the best solution and make the tile more true to the full sized dragon.

A smarter resize may be the best solution and make the tile more true to the full sized dragon.

Thank you. I was going to post something very similar and I fully agree with your statements.

Thanks to LadyLyzar for permission~ Here are the Silver tiles:

user posted image

Same setting as listed for the Magelight example. I also saved the transparent versions just in case.

user posted image

Same setting as listed for the Magelight example. I also saved the transparent versions just in case.

In the case of the Silvers, in case anyone followed my thoughts from the other thread...

That right there, makes me feel a lot happier about looking at my lineages. Everyone's eyes/monitors/lighting is different. In my set up, Silvers are VERY blurry in lineage mode when compared to the way Blacks/Shadows were. I thought maybe it was me or the machine and I would have to 'deal with it'. Another reason I was less then thrilled to find out this update got pushed. 11th's 3rd tile for me, is very clear and I can pick out the details better, which gives me a stronger feeling about if I was going to continue my lineages or not. Personally, if this goes though, I might. Hopefully this does not harm others the way the cropping might have, I could see how it might affect some other lineage types.

I hope TJ uses what 11th did or does the same thing himself. It looks oh so much better. I think the "blurriness" problem is real, and is caused by the subtler shading and the less prominent outlines. The smarter resize manages to save the detail of the sprite that the more basic resize doesn't. Honestly, the 3 tiles look like going to an eye doctor and the flipping through lenses until it's in focus for you, the difference is that significant.

user posted image

That looks really nice! I hope that some changes can be made the the lineage view.

I hope TJ uses what 11th did or does the same thing himself. It looks oh so much better. I think the "blurriness" problem is real, and is caused by the subtler shading and the less prominent outlines. The smarter resize manages to save the detail of the sprite that the more basic resize doesn't. Honestly, the 3 tiles look like going to an eye doctor and the flipping through lenses until it's in focus for you, the difference is that significant.

Yes - that IS better. Please let us ALL hope for it !

user posted image

The extra contrast helps a lot smile.gif

user posted image

That's definitely a vast improvement for the lineage tile.

user posted image

Looking pretty good, the Silvers are much clearer like this.

Nice to see I'm not the only one that sees the silvers as blurry in lineage view. lol That said, I think the new silvers look fantabulous! I do hope the lineage view can be fixed though, so that the image is sharper.

While it's not possible for everyone to look at these fixes from a non-emotional viewpoint, I do have to say that I think, personally, some of these older sprites are in desperate need of updates - anatomy wise, shading wise, size wise and I am looking forward to seeing what the artists come up with.

user posted image

Oh my goodness yes please. I keep squinting pointlessly at the silvers in lineage views, which only makes my headache worse. It is a better idea than cropping it, which still looks a bit blurry. Sharpening the image makes all the difference. After all, a lot of work was done to give the silvers shading and details, and shrinking the image kinda ruins it. Sharpening it makes it all come out again.

Also, the sharpened images look a lot nicer when placed next to updated AND non-updated sprites.

The biggest issue with the tile is that the male sprite is tall and skinny, and TJ tried to fit the entire width into a tile which naturally cut off most of the tail. Other dragons which have different proportions are better able to fit without much being removed, or have enough removed that you focus on the nicer bits, like ices for instance. Nice ice

Edited by zaverxi

Nice job 11th!!

If that improvement is implemented I will definitely pick up my existing silver lineages again!

user posted image

+1 support! Shouldn't require any additional coding, just the replacement of an image in the database. Can't see any reason why not.

Huzzah for that third tile set. Thank you, 11th!

Now, how about an answer from TJ? If LadyLyzar gave her permission for the experiment, I am assuming she would be OK with its implementation. So, can you make it happen, TJ? If you say "eventually", that's good enough for me!

Those really do look fantastic. I'm glad to see some work done with this idea and progressing, and I'm if Lady Lyzar has no issues with it (she seems pretty happy to always lend permission for different ideas which I think is great), I think it really does add something to those lineage views. I don't think it would take away anything from people who also love the new sprite either. Which I do!

A few points:

• All lineage tiles are automatically generated. Manual replacements are thus not a thing.
  • Photoshop's "bicubic sharper" scaling does so by doing some proprietary filtering that is difficult to imitate and impossible to replicate (nor would I want to, given the below point).
  • The shadows on the male in the "edited" tiles posted above are darker than any of the colors on the sprite. That seems like a poor representation of the original art--look at what the "haloing" on this example.

A few points:
  • All lineage tiles are automatically generated. Manual replacements are thus not a thing.
  • Photoshop's "bicubic sharper" scaling does so by doing some proprietary filtering that is difficult to imitate and impossible to replicate (nor would I want to, given the below point).
  • The shadows on the male in the "edited" tiles posted above are darker than any of the colors on the sprite. That seems like a poor representation of the original art--look at what the "haloing" on this example.

Don't you have some say in the process, though? There's been a few breeds that have had tiles moved around after they cut off most of the dragon, weren't there? And I could swear female marrows used to fill more of their tiles.

A few points:

All lineage tiles are automatically generated. Manual replacements are thus not a thing.

Photoshop's "bicubic sharper" scaling does so by doing some proprietary filtering that is difficult to imitate and impossible to replicate (nor would I want to, given the below point).

The shadows on the male in the "edited" tiles posted above are darker than any of the colors on the sprite. That seems like a poor representation of the original art--look at what the "haloing" on this example.

What about making the Silver a bit bigger, as suggested by cyradis4?

I'd suggest making the Silver a bit bigger. That'll take out more of the tail and probably a bit of the back, but he should be less-blurry and look more proportional to what he used to be, against other dragons.

What about making the Silver a bit bigger, as suggested by cyradis4?

It would look awful and out of proportions compared to other dragons.

Examples:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/BqlOB

This line looks beautiful because you can see the full body of the silver and the silver is in the same size as the shadow walker

Another example:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/D1lMR

If you make the silver male bigger the whole harmony and proportion will disappear and you'll have a HUGE sprite mixed with smallers sprites of other dragons. It would be awful.

One more:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/nzd6a

See? The silver is exactly the same size as the moonstone and the same type of crop.

this one too:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/BaDu6

Both copper and silver have similar size and crop and the lineage is beautiful. It would look awful with a bigger silver.

Change the silver male crop will lead to a disaster and will ruin all lineages.

Edited by danicast

It would look awful and out of proportions compared to other dragons.

Examples:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/BqlOB

This line looks beautiful because you can see the full body of the silver and the silver is in the same size as the shadow walker

Another example:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/D1lMR

If you make the silver male bigger the whole harmony and proportion will disappear and you'll have a HUGE sprite mixed with smallers sprites of other dragons. It would be awful.

One more:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/nzd6a

See? The silver is exactly the same size as the moonstone and the same type of crop.

this one too:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/BaDu6

Both copper and silver have similar size and crop and the lineage is beautiful. It would look awful with a bigger silver.

Change the silver male crop will lead to a disaster and will ruin all lineages.

I think I understand your point but I was not thinking of a significant size increase, just enough to improve the lineages. I tend to look for compromises.

I think I understand your point but I was not thinking of a significant  size increase, just enough to improve the lineages. I tend to look for compromises.

But you see, the lineages don't need improvement. The users need to get used to new lines with the new silver sprite because of the change of sprite. They are thinking that the lineages are strange because they are not used to the new sprite yet. With time, they will get used. There is no need to changes, the lineages look perfect. smile.gif

More examples:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/BfQC5

see? Harmony of all sprites

This one is even more interesting because it have several sizes:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/aefDa

A bigger male silver will totally ruin this one:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/uTaU9

I think that the silver sprites thumbs for lineage view were calculated to work with other dragons breeds, that's why they have this size.

And sometimes is not a matter of compromise but a situation where people need to give up and give time to time because there is no need to change anything. Force TJ to change something just for the sake of change or just to make some people feel better (yay! we forced TJ to change something! We won!) it's not a real compromise. I think if people wait a couple of years everybody will feel much better about this sprite change, exactly like happened with the golds.

Edited by danicast

But you see, the lineages don't need improvement. The users need to get used to new lines with the new silver sprite because of the change of sprite. They are thinking that the lineages are strange because they are not used to the new sprite yet. With time, they will get used. There is no need to changes, the lineages look perfect.  smile.gif

In your opinion.

Not everyone agrees with you.

Edited by fuzzbucket