TJ09

2015-12-03 - Sprite Update (Round Two)

Maybe it's because all the other dragons are of the older style, but I just can't seem to jump on board with these new Silvers. The shading and colour shades are too different compared to the old ones, and the sprites just don't go well with ones that they did before. They're also too shiny in my opinion. I know they're suppose to glow, but I find it a bit excessive.

Nice work anyways, Spriters; you can't please them all.

Happy to see silver update finally. Been waiting for this one.

It's gonna make a lot of people upset, but meh. I like it.

I really like the new splits.

I appreciate that the basic pose of the silvers was retained, but I certainly feel that I've lost my dragons. There's nothing wrong with the update. They're beautiful, as is true of all of Lady Lyzar's work. They simply aren't the dragons that I fell in love with.

Continually updating old sprites will eventually cause me to leave, because I don't see a point in investing my time and caring about something that will be taken from me as current fads in art change.

I appreciate that the basic pose of the silvers was retained, but I certainly feel that I've lost my dragons. There's nothing wrong with the update. They're beautiful, as is true of all of Lady Lyzar's work. They simply aren't the dragons that I fell in love with.

Continually updating old sprites will eventually cause me to leave, because I don't see a point in investing my time and caring about something that will be taken from me as current fads in art change.

Couldn't agree more.

I appreciate the new sprites, but there is a little sadness for me that misses the old ones. Like a character about the old sprites that isn't captured in the new ones. Ah well. It is what it is now.

Finally home from work, to say that I like the new look to the Silvers more every time I look at them. I'll miss their wonderfully floofy manes, but I definitely enjoy the new floofier tail-tuft they now have going on.

Silver is my favorite color so I figured I'd like them no matter what they looked like; I'm glad my assumption was proved to be correct. And hey, if I can now get a CB Silver to give my single CB lady a mate, because they drop in 'value'? All the better! /laughs.

Edited by silver_chan

I 100% agree. My favorite dragon on my scroll is my CB Silver Darleigh, but no I feel like she's a totally different dragon. She'll always be my favorite, but now it's just... I don't know, it's hard too explain.

I know it'll never happen, but I wish Sprite changes were optional for each scroll. But hey, that's just me. Like maybe optional for each individual dragon species, or for all/none of them.

Just an idea.

Although, I do like the Splits! They look much more fierce and muscular now, which is pretty sweet.

I really, really love the new update; the Silvers look amazing, I know a lot of people appreciated the previous 'sketchy' and rough look but to me, this smoother one is a lot better and I absolutely adore the shading and colouring. The one thing I agree with is that its a shame they no longer look at each other when posed side by side but oh well, cant have it all wink.gif

The splits look lovely as well! I wasnt that keen on colelcting them before because of the designs but now I got an urge to stock up on few!

Now, if only the Albino dragon got a sprite update Id be so happy...

I love the Two-Head but don't care for the Silver. But I don't cleft them enough to care so it doesn't matter.

I've been so busy with finals that I completely forgot about the second half of the sprite update. I had stalked the forums waiting for it for so long too!

The new sprites look great. Silvers got a premium car wash and splits took on body building. Right on.

I love them both! Silvers finally look like alive dragons and not like statues!

And the splits! Awesome!

Edited by Gluria

*Spittakes*

I didn't see this until I saw the Duos on my scroll and had to double-take before checking the site. Ahhh, the lady Duos are so gorgeous! This is fantastic! And the Silvers look so pristine. Thank you so much, TJ and spriters! ^^

I meant to add to my last comment, I hope that the Silvers eventually get tweaked in Lineage view to look larger next to the other dragons. I understand not wanting to cut off any part of their beautiful form, but right now they look tiny compared to other thumbnails, and it kind of looks odd next to other dragons. Even mints look bigger than they do in Lineage view, now--or at the very least, they look the same size.

Edited by silver_chan

Oh wow, these are really nice! The Two-heads are a nice suprise as well; I might play around with them a bit more now.

I would've preferred a few of the suggested new silvers to my old ones, but I prefer my old ones over these new ones.

That's the crux of this, though. IF we had to have a change (and I was one who didn't want one AT ALL - and as I recall, you weren't !!! xd.png) these were the only ones I could bear to see (though they do seem to have got a little fuzzy in translation...) You preferred one I loathed as a silver, though it was OK as a dragon.

I think being offered a choice would therefore be an appalling idea. It would get people's hopes up of their dragon being "updated" in ways they like, but which will make other people throw up.

This is not the first update I haven't liked - so I think you are rather lucky !

Edited by fuzzbucket

Last night my post was a knee jerk they're ruined on the silvers. Tonight I will tell you the rest of the story.

I play a little known mmo called Istaria, orginally launched as Horizons. There dragons are a player race and I played since game launch 10 years ago or so (I don't remember exactly). On the game forums there people found Dragon Cave and posted the images in their signatures, I didn't join Dragon Cave as I am not that much of a forum person to get enough views for them to survive.

One of my friends there had a pair of dragons in his signature which I thought were wonderful. It created quite a stir as some people thought the pose was too suggestive and he ended having to remove them from his signature.

Think it was a few years later when I spotted the ribbon dancers and alt vines in people's signatures and decided maybe I should look into it. A few months later I did and found out about the fan site hatcheries and it would be possible for a not crazy forum poster to play this game. I joined and got my first eggs and put them in my signature at Istaria forums. As I suspected that didn't generate nearly enough views to crack a shell let alone hatch so I sought out the hatchery ER's and kept my first dragons alive and well.

Learning the ropes here at Dragon Cave I found out to my dismay that the ribbon dancers where a holiday breed and it would be impossible for me to get a caveborn, alt vines were hard to get but doable, and the wonderful dragons that were in my friend's signature at Istaria forums were here. Silver dragons. Which I set out in search of and never stopped hunting... until now.

I've tried to put my finger on what is wrong with this new incarnation. The male's chest is wrong for an eastern, eastern body shape is more snake like without a distinct chest and narrow waist. The female looks like she stole a horse's tail, held high like they do when feeling frisky and running. Over all their manes look like fresh from the poodle parlor, fluffed and possibly hair sprayed.

On the other hand, the male silver can now easily pass for a male arsani but bears little resemblance to the eastern grand sire in the lineage.

My silver lineages are done, I'll finish getting mates but the yulebuck and sweetling x silver lineages I kept adding to every year with no thoughts of stopping have hit the end of the road. Time for mourning that which was for me. It hits a little harder as I started a special tribute lineage to my cat I lost to cancer this summer, bred on the day she died. Fortunately I started a purebred chronos lineage for her too.

Now the question begs, what others of my lineages will be in peril of more doppelgangers taking their place? Why should I bother doing more than catch new release and then wait for the next release? You may have cured my addiction to this place, I'm not leaving but I wouldn't be spending the crazy amount of time here like I did either. Been neglecting things in Istaria, might be time to go build that plot. (If anyone else here plays, I am Dracaena there too on order shard.)

I think being offered a choice would therefore be an appalling idea. It would get people's hopes up of their dragon being "updated" in ways they like, but which will make other people throw up.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. Please don't show me what could be and then snatch it away. I'll be more happy not knowing the alternatives in a planned update. xd.png

I wish they had used the LadyLyzar sprites that formed a circle, I loved those. The two-heads look great!

I'm with most people saying that the silvers should still form that adorable circle they make... it somewhat saddens me to not see that even though the sprites are beautiful wub.gif

im confused as to why people are saying the new sprites are too shiny? they are silver dragons? they actually look like silver now. i like both sprites but the old sprite's limited shading & color count made them comparatively dull to actual silver.

Edited by Switch

I would have preferred if some of the more 2D-looking dragons in need of rehab/spiffing (albinos, dorsals) were updated instead of the silvers...