TJ09

2015-12-03 - Sprite Update (Round Two)

I'm not sure how you can say that the male was originally bulkier; you can't see how bulky or not bulky the female chest is in the original sprite or the male sprite. There was a distinct difference in the jawline, yes, as the male's seemed to be more defined, but other than that, I'll have to disagree with your observation.

I understand you can't tell, but I can. So we'll have to disagree.

To each his own, I suppose.

I am extremely happy, however, to finally be able to easily distinguish between the new silver eggs and the white eggs. THANK YOU biggrin.gif

Overall, great job, spriters, again.

You're still imposing human ideas of gender essentialism onto the silvers by saying that small horns and a more slight frame are inherently feminine.

In many reptiles, especially snakes, females are bulkier and heavier because they bear the young, while males are smaller (sometimes startlingly so!). Their idea of feminine is thick, large, and muscular.

In hyenas, "feminine" means large, aggressive, ornery, and cocky while "masculine" means meek and obedient.

Masculinity and femininity differ wildly between types of animal based largely on their social and reproductive strategies. You cannot call a male silver feminine due to its body shape and expression unless it's explicitly stated what physiological traits are coded to each gender (basically, when it comes to what we know about silvers, the only way you could get a "feminine" male silver is for it to have a pink mane).

The word I think you're looking for to describe the male is "gracile".

The male silver looks weird, kinda like a dog almost?? But tbqh I really don't care much because they are pixels and not real.

I think rather than masculine / feminine it's more aggressive / meek. The old pose did seem slightly more imposing, but only slightly, and I think it's more my mental reimagining of it than a really noticeable trait.

I have to say I'm not really a fan of the male silver's prominent cheek structure or how his head looks. I'm also not a fan of any of the silver hatchlings. I do like the female though. She looks pretty.

Surprisingly the splits take the cake for me this update.

Thanks for the long awaited updates though.

You're still imposing human ideas of gender essentialism onto the silvers by saying that small horns and a more slight frame are inherently feminine.

The word I think you're looking for to describe the male is "gracile".

I use masculine and feminine because those are the words I chose. I'm comparing old male form to new male form. And new male form to the female. And the new male looks less 'masculine' compared to the old male form, and more 'feminine' like the female. I'm comparing form, not semantics. But I can go along with 'meek' compared to 'aggressive' as suggested by dragonpuppy.

Use what words are pleasing to you, but it won't change how the male looks to me.

Edited by whitestar

Hmm. Whle I'm getting used to the female Silvers, I have to agree with the lack of over-all aggressiveness that the old male sprite had. There was a reason I named my Silver CB male 'Tidus', based on a character from Final Fantasy X - he had this 'bring it on!' feel to him that I absolutely adored. That was at the forefront of my mind when I did my versions. But this one looks more like he's going 'eehhhhh maybe not' instead of 'fight me bro!'.

Maybe it's the way he's tilted backwards instead of forwards (I'd love to see an edited head), and how he looks like he's trying to get away from something, instead of challenging whatever lay before him.

Hmm. Whle I'm getting used to the female Silvers, I have to agree with the lack of over-all aggressiveness that the old male sprite had. There was a reason I named my Silver CB male 'Tidus', based on a character from Final Fantasy X - he had this 'bring it on!' feel to him that I absolutely adored. That was at the forefront of my mind when I did my versions. But this one looks more like he's going 'eehhhhh maybe not' instead of 'fight me bro!'.

Maybe it's the way he's tilted backwards instead of forwards (I'd love to see an edited head), and how he looks like he's trying to get away from something, instead of challenging whatever lay before him.

Actually I can't see any over-all aggressiveness on the old male sprite. Maybe because my attention keeps being caught by the over-weird neck.

I am actually fine with the new silver looks. They look good as their own. The BIG problem is that they ruin almost all previous lineages.

Edited by sene

Huh. It could be worse. I guess I prefer less detailed sprites in general, but I'm sure I'll get used to these.

I just wish the Silvers didn't look so young. They don't quite look like babies, but... adolescents, I guess? They don't look fully grown. They're scrawny and soft at the same time. Argh. Yes, I'll get used to them.

Edited by sylviamaris

I am actually fine with the new silver looks. They look good as their own. The BIG problem is that they ruin almost all previous lineages.

Yah. The brightness and lack of solid outlines isn't bad on its own, super shiny at least works for the silver lunars certainly, but it's such a big CHANGE here that it doesn't feel like the old silvers any more, normal or lineage wise. I preferred the subtler changes we had with the holly and splits. sad.gif

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I really loved the update, the silvers look shiny (finally!), more defined, in a less awkward pose. Although the horns on the male are a bit smaller now, but is not that bad as now they are the same size as the females, making them more "standard" as a species. But Id like to add... until this update I thought the horns of the silvers were just hair xd.png.

The splits were the first I saw (I have my scroll breed sorted), and I really loved them, I have loved them since the beggining, now I love them even more. And just like with the silvers and their minor details: I didnt know the splits had a bifurcated tail, I thought it was an added touch, but I saw clearly on the old sprite that is there! I felt so stupid for not noticing before xd.png.

Really loved this updates!

I love that the silvers live up to their description. They do seem to "glow" now, where before, they were pretty dull. Yes, Im having some knee jerking to some of the lineages looking a bit different, but overall, the sprites look truer to the descriptions now.

The splits are pretty cool. I might start using them in lineages again (still holding out for new two headeds, to make them more interesting though!)

I, for one Im pleased that the silver dragons now look like they're actually made of silver, my only problem is that the odd shading makes the sprites stick out like sore thumb compared to other dragons.

Also, I was expecting the Red dragons to be the ones updated next (they really need it the most imo) but the split dragons look fab so I wont complain. tongue.gif

The more I see them on my scroll, the more I enjoy them. I can go to bed happy tonight! biggrin.gif Sorry to everyone that is still a little upset, though. It's hard to please everybody, unfortunately.

Thank you TJ, Odeen, and LadyLyzar!

(And everyone else that makes this site what it is!)

Edited by Areous

Personally, I like the new sprites for both of these breeds.

I agree with those who have said the Silvers now seem to live up to the 'almost magical aura that lights up any place' part of their description (they're more vibrant). However, my one complaint about them is actually in the expressions - the old Female looked happy and content, now...she looks a little 'evil' (mostly due to the eye I feel). The Male - he just looks a bit 'goofy' to me now with his expression...and actually reminds me of the Female Horse Dragon head-wise.

Over all though - I like the new Silvers way better than the old ones.

And the Two-Headed Dragon - just amazing in my opinion. Though again - my one complaint is in the expression of the Dragons. The old ones - while they did look a bit on the 'mean' side...it was more in a mischievous way. The new expressions make them look a lot more violent (which does match with their description better)

Even still - they're awesome.

All in all - I've liked all the Sprite updates that have happened, and can't wait to see what the future holds (Add my name to the list who wants Reds to get an update, and I wouldn't be opposed to an update for the Albinos either).

Thank you to TJ and all the Spriters involved in these projects smile.gif

Oh MAN those silvers look ELEGANT! I LOVE IT! Silvers were one of those dragons I collected only because they were rare - now I'm gonna collect them because they're BEAUTIFUL!

AAAAAAAAHH I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I KNEW IT

I knew LadyLyzar's sprites would make the cut. Absolutely incredible. The details, the shading, the preserving of the original sprite. They're beautiful!

Definitely prefer the old Two-Headed sprites. The defined muscles make them look so menacing. On the whole, I just don't like them. The Silver's look fine, though.

Edited by tyto_alba

Sites like DC usually try to keep art style consistent. Making the site's art styles more uniform makes the site look better and more professional. There is a big difference between a design element and a style of rendering art. The uniqueness of a species is in its design, not its art style. It doesn't become more or less unique of a dragon design depending on how it is drawn, assuming its design remains the same. It sucks that some will miss the various styles, but it is a wise move on DC's part. Honestly, it shouldn't have been so varied to begin with unless TJ was specifically intending for that to be a site feature. Since he's trying to change it, we can assume not.

Eh, I don't really want to see such consistency. I like eclectic.

I don't have the same style of artwork throughout my home. I don't go to the museum and only look at the impressionist paintings, or only the abstract paintings or whatever. Boring.

I like to see things mixed up a little, and if I think this Van Gogh looks good next to that Georgia O'Keefe and it pleases me why shouldn't I have that option? Just because someone else thinks mixing styles is a no-no?

ohmy.gif

I can't beleive I'm actually seeing this.

I'm going to see if this is a dream.

I love the new Two-Headed sprites as they are amazing but silvers even tho they are all smooth now i kind of like the old sprite as it was more striking and the pose of the male sprite was pure perfection.