TJ09

2015-12-03 - Sprite Update (Round Two)

Hnng, that muscle definition on the Splits is amazing. I'm really curious about what is used as a reference for draconic anatomy.

Edit: And I don't think there's anything wrong with the Silver male somehow looking effeminate… That isn't something I draw from the sprite at all. Silvers are supposed to be a very graceful, beautiful breed. Why are users upset when a male of the species does not appear distinctly masculine?

Edited by Niyaka

Hnng, that muscle definition on the Splits is amazing. I'm really curious about what is used as a reference for draconic anatomy.

Experience mostly, but I think I was digging through a lot of lion and tiger musculature to fill the blanks if I remember correctly.

So. Splits are all kinds of awesome. Definitely my favorites out of updates. They fixed everything bad with old sprites without changing too much.

Silvers on the other side... they are pretty. And shiny and fluffy. But, their general glowiness just doesn't fit in with the tone of the rest of the dragons. On top of that, in my personal opinion, update silver thread had many more spriter from many different artists, and a big number of those was far better fitting and better done.

I agree with you.

I'd like to reiterate how unhappy I am with the new eggs. They are the only part of this update that I'm truly displeased with. Just...the eggs look very flat and two-dimensional to me. Or maybe like they're translucent? As opposed to silver. They do not look like silver eggs to me. IMHO the old silver eggs only needed, if anything, a little more contrast in shading to match with the new adults/hatchies.

I'm just...I hate to complain, because I know the artist worked really hard on these, but I can't help it. I don't think I'll ever get used to those new egg sprites. However, I will say that I'm 100% in love with the adult female. Everything about the adult female I adore. The male adult...I kind of agree with the comments about it looking like a feminine female silver with blue fur, but hey. I can get used to it, I think. Same thing with the hatchies, they're okay and I can get used to them.

Edit to add: I'm ultimately very grateful for these updates though. Much as I (and a lot of other people too) loved the old sprites...I agree that they were in need of updates. <3

Another edit to say: I think the unhappiness with the male sprite is because they lost the bulkiness the old sprite had, even if biologically, it doesn't make sense. xd.png

Also I'm really pleased with all of the two-head update. They look awesome!

TL;DR - Burns doesn't care for the new egg sprites.

Edited by xxBurningxx

Wow. I actually like the two-heads and female silvers now! I liked none of those previously. The male, of course, is still great. biggrin.gif The neck still looks weird but I understand trying to keep to the spirit of the sprite and at least it doesn't look completely snapped in half anymore.

Kinda wondering about the new egg for the silvers too but I do understand the need for making it look like it fit the new ones. They're still silvery, I just think it was unnecessary to change that too.

Oh wow, lovely new sprites! I especially love the new splits, because I've always almost really liked them, but they seemed to clunky and this update really fixed this!

Good job on the new silvers, too. I'm especially a fan of the Silver Lady. smile.gif

Edit: I can also tell that real silver was used to help decide the colors/shading on the new sprites. It's been my favorite metals IRL since I was very little so I really appreciate it.

Edited by weaseldale

What they did to the male silver is just awful, I dont even see it as a male anymore, it looks so feminine, that it's like we have 2 versions of a female "silver" if whatever these sprites are can be even called "silvers".

I don't mean to be rude but silvers weren't the most masculine of breeds to begin with. Plus I don't think big magic lizards care too much about gender tongue.gif

edit//

Well, ok, is it possible to address one of the biggest issues with the new silvers - Can they appear less blurry in the lineage view?

I'm a big fan of the new silvers and I'd really love to see them be a bit bigger in lineage view -- the soft colors get a bit washed out without a strong outline. I don't know if adding an outline is the best solution but certainly zooming in a bit on their lineage view would help.

Edited by bearsister

Don't mind the splits, but the silver hatchlings look weird to me, and they have lost their featheryness. And their egg is a pearl instead of a silver to me.

Good art though, so good job artists, just not quite in my style.

I don't mean to be rude but silvers weren't the most masculine of breeds to begin with. Plus I don't think big magic lizards care too much about gender tongue.gif

Especially not human gender ideals. They have their own ideas of what is appealing. xd.png

Edited by Tehya Faye

Especially not human gender ideals. They have their own ideas of what is appealing. xd.png

Male gemshards be like "I like big spades and I cannot lie / You other dragons can't deny"

I don't see polls helping. If the poll votes are in favour of change (which, going only by the responses in this thread and the silver revamp thread, would be the case), then the situation would turn out as it is now and no different.

But if it gives people more confidence that the changes were not made without consent of the community, then sure I guess.

(sorry)

Meanwhile I'll hide in the corner where I wonder why so many people don't like the awesome (opinion) changes :c

Edited by Ashywolf

Love the two-headed update! Still a bit split on the silver one, but I do love the shininess~

I just want to give people a reminder that there ARE actual people, with feelings, who drew these sprites. A good artist nearly always accepts constructive criticism, but there have been a few terribly rude and unhelpful comments. They are doing nothing to help your case (rather, they are likely hurting it) and likely are what give rise to the opinions some users seem to have that DC members are irrational and overly dramatic. Everyone is absolutely welcome to their opinions, but there is a good way to state them and a poor way to state them.

I do also agree with the person who wondered why looking slimmer meant the dragon no longer looked male. There are plenty of examples in real life of animals in which the female is the bulkier or both sexes are equally slender and refined. Just because this is not the case in humans does not mean it is the same in all species. Before anyone says, "But the male does the hunting!", the encyclopedia entry does not state what manner of hunting is employed by the silver dragons. They could be speed hunters rather than relying on bulk. In which case, it would make perfect sense that the male was actually slimmer than the female. In no way am I saying that people aren't allowed to dislike the male sprite, but there's no biological reason the male should not be as or more refined than the female.

Edited by harlequinraven

I just want to give people a reminder that there ARE actual people, with feelings, who drew these sprites. A good artist nearly always accepts constructive criticism, but there have been some terribly rude and unhelpful comments. They are doing nothing to help your case and likely are what give rise to the opinions some users seem to have that DC members are irrational and overly dramatic.  Everyone is absolutely welcome to their opinions, but there is a good way to state them and a poor way to state them.

I think several of the posts made by those against the new design have stated, tactfully, what they didn't like about the design and how it could improve (granted, many didn't).

What I find just as insulting, though, is every frustrated player's dislike being dismissed and then told "Alas, the old sprites have been removed from the code. They're gone and aren't coming back. The ship has sailed."

We know there was someone behind the work and many tried to explain why it was that they didn't like the new design, with tact. In the very least the concerns could be responded to in a likewise courteous manner.

Edited by FireMaster13

I think several of the posts made by those against the new design have stated, tactfully, what they didn't like about the design and how it could improve. What I find just as insulting is every frustrated player's dislike being dismissed and then told "Alas, the old sprites have been removed from the code. They're gone and aren't coming back. The ship has sailed."

We know they were created and many tried to explain why it was that they didn't like the new design, with tact. In the very least the concerns could be responded to in a likewise courteous manner.

There have been some very tactful opinions, yes. However, the posts I was specifically thinking about were the first posts the people had made and were quite rude toward the spriter, not even toward the person who said "Alas, the old sprites have been removed from the code. They're gone and aren't coming back. The ship has sailed." Take that issue up with the person you have the issue with, not the spriter. smile.gif

Edited by harlequinraven

There have been some very tactful opinions, yes. However, the posts I was specifically thinking about were the first posts the people had made and were quite rude toward the spriter, not even toward the person who said "Alas, the old sprites have been removed from the code. They're gone and aren't coming back. The ship has sailed." Take that issue up with the person you have the issue with, not the spriter.

Ah, yes, those were not made in good taste, I'll agree.

That quote is from TJ in response to a suggestion topic here.

Edited by FireMaster13

This kind of thing makes me wish we could gift adults, because I'd totally give all but one of each available sprite (scroll goals tongue.gif ) of my Silvers to someone who likes them.

AYes, those were not made in good taste, I'll agree. That quote, however, is from TJ.

I know that. I am saying take that up with him. If you dislike that quote, take it up with the quoter. I know you did not personally do anything (that I saw, anyway) rude toward the spriter, but others have. My post was a reminder to people that the spriters just did the artwork. Not liking it is one thing, as everyone has their own opinions, but being exceedingly nasty about it is pretty horrid.

So I do like the silver female overall, she still has the basic essence of the original, still looks like an eastern dragon, though I do miss her smile. Some of the shading looks wrong on her but I don't know it that's because of my iPad, or the black background on portal or a combo of both.

The male I don't like. To me it he's lost the essence of the original, he no longer feels like an eastern dragon. His mane doesn't look like it's attached to his back, which I think is due to the light shading line right before the dark outline. Especially by his tail.

I don't like the hatchlings at all, they look like baby horses in the fetal position.

I know they won't be changed, I know eventually I will get use to them, but I don't think I'll be going out of my way to try and collect them anymore.

The splits I do like them although I will miss the sweetness the old ones had. These new ones look like they'd rather rip someone's face off. Though they do look more dragon like, even if hatchling stage one looks like his shadow is trying to leave him. happy.gif

I'll agree to that. Being an artist myself, I try to make my dislike about something worded with specifics or critique in mind, not all out trashing.

I was adding to your point the other side of the coin, responding to the dislike, could also be said in a courteous manner.