dragontamer44722

Christmas Dragon!

2 More hours til Breeding starts!!!! And the event!!!

As much as I sympathize with those of you who do not celebrate Christmas, I do not agree that DC should make the Christmas dragon represent another holiday. It is explicitly a Christmas dragon, not just a 'winter holiday dragon'. I would much prefer to have a separate acknowledgement of other holidays with a separate dragon for them. Perhaps Hanukkah one year, Kwanzaa the next, et cetera. I'd even rather have that idea replace the idea of having a Christmas dragon. But as it stands it'd bug me a lot to get a non Christmas dragon that was called a Christmas dragon. For the same reason it'd bug you if DC did a Hanukah dragon that was red and green.

As much as I sympathize with those of you who do not celebrate Christmas, I do not agree that DC should make the Christmas dragon represent another holiday. It is explicitly a Christmas dragon, not just a 'winter holiday dragon'. I would much prefer to have a separate acknowledgement of other holidays with a separate dragon for them. Perhaps Hanukkah one year, Kwanzaa the next, et cetera. I'd even rather have that idea replace the idea of having a Christmas dragon. But as it stands it'd bug me a lot to get a non Christmas dragon that was called a Christmas dragon. For the same reason it'd bug you if DC did a Hanukah dragon that was red and green.

Plus, several of our dragons have been about as standard winter dragon as you can ask. Solstices are definitely not Christmas themed, and I wouldn't call Mistletoes really Christmasy, either.

I want something...well, Christmas-y again

Like reds and greens like the wrapping wings and winter magi and...the older christmas dragons

you could tell they were...well, christmas themed

Are they really called Christmas dragons? Not just Holiday dragons?

Are they really called Christmas dragons? Not just Holiday dragons?

Yes, Holiday dragons are the category of all dragons released for holidays that DC celebrates such as Valentine's Day or Halloween. Christmas dragons are the type under that category.

Edited by ~X~

Plus, several of our dragons have been about as standard winter dragon as you can ask. Solstices are definitely not Christmas themed, and I wouldn't call Mistletoes really Christmasy, either.

As much as I get what you're saying with the solstices, mistletoes aren't exactly traditional Hanukkah decor, at least not at my synagogue laugh.gif I dunno what they do in your neck of the woods

As much as I get what you're saying with the solstices, mistletoes aren't exactly traditional Hanukkah decor, at least not at my synagogue laugh.gif I dunno what they do in your neck of the woods

They might mean the color scheme, or the overall look of the dragon.

A name is one thing but the appearance is another.

They might mean the color scheme, or the overall look of the dragon.

A name is one thing but the appearance is another.

The original comment was about how the dragons are called Christmas dragons so they should represent Christmas exclusively, not other holidays. Names, evidently, do mean something.

I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, I just think it's funny when people try to play off things associated with Xmas as neutral.

On the contrary, the holiday dragons are described as "Spirits of Winter" and my Solstice dragon was specifically made to commemorate the traditional and nearly-ubiquitous tendency for civilizations to celebrate the coming of winter and the start of days lengthening again - which is very much not Christmas.

Yes, Holiday dragons are the category of all dragons released for holidays that DC celebrates such as Valentine's Day or Halloween. Christmas dragons are the type under that category.

In the Encyclopedia I saw only Holiday Dragon, followed by the year. The Valentine's day dragons have their individual names, with the exception of the first one. Can you point me to where it says officially "Christmas dragon"?

It does not say Christmas dragon anywhere. They're holiday dragons. They just happen to be given out on Christmas and are colloquially referred to as Christmas dragons on DC. As such, people are free to sprite dragons that are reminiscent of other winter holidays/themes. It just so happens that traditional Christmas themes and colors usually dominate suggestions.

Edited by Jazeki

in all honesty i really don't know what i want besides the fact that i want a dragon thats breedable with most of them (and looks good with most of them) since a two headed/drake/pygmy would be terrible given you would have about ten options

as long as its pretty and versatile with breeding ill be happy biggrin.gif

I celebrate Christmas and I still think we should have dragons that represent other holidays. But that's just me. -shrug-

Well, you all can think of it this way:

Green is the color of the evergreen, which stays green in the winter snow.

Red is the color of the cardinal, one of the very few birds seen regularly in winter, when all others have gone south.

White is the color of snow, which is prevalent in the mountain regions at this time of year for any country that has mountains.

So, green red and white are not any one holiday, but for all winterl holidays. Mistletoes and Christmas Trees are themselves symbols of the winter seasons, and have been for thousands of years.

So, name it what you will, it's the season for happiness and sharing, love and giving.

Edited by Riverwillows

Other than the name (which isn't listed on site), would you associate them with Christmas in any way? If not, I'd say they're fairly neutral.

Regardless I never get the fuss over Christmas / nonchristmas, Halloween isn't a thing everyone does in the world but no one complains about Halloween not using themes from other festivities that take place around that time. Similarly Christmas might not be everyone's thing but that's no reason to dislike it, especially when for most people Christmas is now as secular as, well, Valentines and Halloween are. I certainly don't mind the thought of other inspirations appearing, mind you--I liked last two year's releases more than any other Christmas but Winter Magi--but I would find it a bit odd to see a Hannukah dragon appear on what is actually Christmas Day, not Hannukah. xd.png

I think the christmas debate has been a little over fueled in RL where things are apparently not "christmasy" enough for people. It's just making people more sensitive to things not being christmasy enough to their standards.

The holiday dragons used to say they were the "Spirits of Christmas" in their descriptions but now they are simply "Spirits of Winter" Which I prefer tbh since I'm not christian smile.gif

Not that there's anything wrong with Christmas... I still give my family presents and stuff on that day. I just like that DC is officially preferring to be more Winter Holiday neutral.

though tbh I don't think that a dragon being red and green should label it a Christmas dragon. Christmas is more about being with your family, Giving presents to people, and baking cookies imo...

not colors.

I think this year's christmas dragon should be really charitable dragons who give gifts expecting almost nothing in return tbh... smile.gif

Edited by 626lavaheart

Other than the name (which isn't listed on site), would you associate them with Christmas in any way? If not, I'd say they're fairly neutral.

Regardless I never get the fuss over Christmas / nonchristmas, Halloween isn't a thing everyone does in the world but no one complains about Halloween not using themes from other festivities that take place around that time. Similarly Christmas might not be everyone's thing but that's no reason to dislike it, especially when for most people Christmas is now as secular as, well, Valentines and Halloween are. I certainly don't mind the thought of other inspirations appearing, mind you--I liked last two year's releases more than any other Christmas but Winter Magi--but I would find it a bit odd to see a Hannukah dragon appear on what is actually Christmas Day, not Hannukah. xd.png

Now 2016, when Hanukkah starts at sundown on December 24th, that sounds like a good time for a Hanukkah-themed dragon! But that's a discussion for next year. wink.gif