Ahimsa

Trading Traded/Gifted Dragons

Is it alright to trade an egg someone else traded/gifted you?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is something that I've been wondering -- DC Etiquette? -- for a while now.

What do you think about people that trade gifted eggs/dragons? What about traded eggs/dragons? Nah? Yeah?

If the egg or hatchling is gifted, I believe it should stay with user it was given to unless it is for re-gifting, which the gifter should be informed about.

If the egg or hatchling was traded for, then it is up to the user what to do with it since it was a not a gift and traded equally for. But that is just my opinion.

Edited by ~X~

I think that whatever is on your scroll, you can do with it whatever you like: trade, gift, ffa, vamp, zombiefy, kill, freeze, name, not name, breed, not breed, release or even forget it. It really doesn't matter where the dragon egg/hatchling/adult you have came.

The gifting on the other hand is rather tricky subject. Gifts are usually meant for keeping and usually gifts should be cherished as they were given with warm and benevolent hearts. But I must admit that in real life I have gifted some "secret santa" gifts and the likes forward the next year (as I do not need useless christmas decorations etc.). So if I do something in real life why not do it here? And unfortunately it comes down to what is the gifts "value". Is it from a friend, or is it something super awesome, is it something I need, or does it have funny background story - But the gift needs to have something, mean something, to be kept.

Edited by sroo

Moving to the main site discussion area as the trading area is for trading/gifting.

Retrades are fine unless the person who traded it to you asks that you not, and the opposite is true of gifts--don't trade unless they told you you could. Personally I've been on both ends--sometimes asked by some prize owners not to retrade things I otherwise would have, sometimes tell people I gift things to that if there's something they want more they can try to trade for it.

Two different things here.

TRADED: to me, means you "bought" or exchanged basically. I don't see any harm in re-trading a trade.

GIFT: being given an egg/hatchling without anything in return. These I wouldn't trade away and I would hope others wouldn't either. It's a gift after all, if you really don't want it, return it or ask if you can share it with someone who needs it more.

Just my two cents though, don't mind me.

I sometimes post things for free on the DC group facebook page. I usually ask that people not trade them, but that they can gift them if they want. Usually, they are dinos, trios, papers and cheeses.

I got really aggravated one time when I saw someone trading away stuff that I gave her for free, so that is why I ask people not to trade. She traded for something that I would have wanted, but I had nothing to offer, as I had gifted it all away to that gal.

On regular stuff, I usually don't put any restrictions.

I often trade with people and then re-trade with someone else. That usually happens when someone is looking to trade a CB xeno for a different kind of CB xeno. Since I am going to trade mine away anyway, they get the type of xeno they need, and I only want to trade mine away for hatchlings, so the type I have doesn't matter to me.

I would never trade a gift, unless the other person gave me the present under the assumption that I would be using it for trading.

I would definitely trade a trade if I wanted to, and I have done that many times in the past. When you trade for something, it's like you're buying it; when you buy something it's up to you what you wish to do with it.

When It comes to trades, I don't care if people retade things I traded to them, as it is on their scroll. But for gifting, I bred it for them, and if they don't want it/they want to give t to someone else, they can just ask/say so instead of abandoning the gift :/

Those are 2 pretty different situations.

I'd never give away a gift, or even freeze it (unless the giftee says it's ok).

Retrades on the other hand are ok in my book. You paid something of equal value for that egg, it was more of a purchase, not something specifically bred/caught for you by the other person.

Say for example you have dragon A and want dragon B, but get offered dragon C. Someone else has dragon B and wants dragon C. It makes sense to accept C and then trade it with the other person for B. In the end all three of us get what we want.

Trading a dragon you traded for is fine, but gifted dragons are another matter altogether. They're gifts, given to you; you could at least ask to regift it if you can't/don't want to keep it. :/

If it is a gift, I absolutely want nobody to trade it.

If it was from a trade though that is fine.

Gifting is no. Re-gifting is fine (just no trading)

Trading is yes

If I trade for an egg, I can do whatever I wish with it, trade, gift, keep, freeze, UNLESS there was a specific agreement about its treatment as part of the trade.

If I'm gifted an egg, I will keep it. To trade it away would be tacky and wrong. Maybe regift, but those would be unusual circumstances, and I would probably check with the gifter to see if they minded.

If you traded for it, yes, if it was gifted to you then no.

Although I do think re-gifting is fine, but you should let the person know where their egg has gone, I just think it's polite. smile.gif

I concur with previous posters (answered 'Nope' to the poll, since traded/gifted were combined):

Traded - yup, okay to retrade. Once trade is complete, the egg / hatchling is yours to do with what you choose.

Gifted - nope, the egg / hatchling should stay on your scroll unless it's destined for a regifted scroll, at which point it's courteous to let original gifter know. smile.gif

If I gift something and find out that the egg/hatchling left the scroll of the giftee, or was harmed, I'm not a happy bunny. Only exception is if I'd agreed that trading could be done. That's one of the reasons I prefer to gift in the forum and ensure I know where eggs or hatchies are going.

Trades are a whole different matter. I traded, is not mine anymore and I don't have a say.

A gift is someone compassionately giving something to someone else to take ownership of. I see absolutely 0% wrong with trading a gift if that's what you want to do with it. Once a dragon leaves your scroll, it's no longer yours to control.

Trades are completely different as both traders paid with something they believed is in equal value. Gifting is a completely different matter as sometimes you don't even expect a gift to happen! Even in FFA type gifts like the departures thread, I don't want it traded away, or regifted unless the gifter is cool with it.

Voted. For me, I do with them the way I would want others to:

I re-trade eggs/hatchies or gift them if I don't get exactly what I was asking for my trade. Trading via PM, I tell the person who I'm trading with where it will end up, since I know some people care about that stuff. I have never re-traded a gift. I don't think I've ever gotten a gift I didn't want, though. If someone offered to gift me something I didn't want, I'd decline it. I always follow the requests from things taken from the departure board.

However, that's just me! I think if someone trades something, they can do whatever they want with it. It's a bit different with gifts and departure thread requests, but it shouldn't be. I mean, once someone offers a person something and they take it, it's theirs. I understand the argument, though, and that's why I always honor that stuff.

I also think of it like this: life happens and who knows what might be going on with someone who accepts a gift, trade, or departure who then doesn't care for it.

A gift is someone compassionately giving something to someone else to take ownership of. I see absolutely 0% wrong with trading a gift if that's what you want to do with it. Once a dragon leaves your scroll, it's no longer yours to control.

I agree with Sock. If I give someone a gift, I want them to have it - to do with what they will. If I put conditions on it - it's not much of a gift, is it ? Think of that sweater Granny knitted you. You HATE it. And it is 17 sizes too big.

BUT it's warm. And there's that homeless guy on the corner and it's snowing. I will enjoy that horrible sweater MUCH more knowing it is keeping someone warm.

I have occasionally been given an egg here that I REALLY didn't want. So far I have kept all but one (and I asked, as it was in the days of 2 per holiday, and I saw a MUCH better one in the AP.) But it's almost as horrid for the donor to be told thanks but no thanks as it is for them to see their egg go to live somewhere else - and why should anyone be forced to keep something on their scroll that doesn't FIT ? Best for it to be somewhere it will be loved, no ?

While technically a dragon that left my scroll is not mine anymore, I don't like to see that stuff I have gifted to someone is traded away. I'd put people on my private blacklist if I caught them doing that, and would simply never gift to that person again.

Re-trading is fine in my opinion, and re-gifting is as well. Gifting via AP or departure thread is fair game for trading as well, in my opinion. I just don't want to see people offer stuff for trade that I gifted to them specifically because I wanted to help out with a wish from their signature or wishlist.

There's also a thread for discussing whether freezing, killing, releasing gifts is ok: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=157883&st=0

Edited by Ha-Ki

I would not trade or re-gift a gift without asking the person who gave it to me.

If I gave something to someone else without knowing they're actually looking for this thing, I hope I would remember to tell them I don't mind if they trade or re-gift it.

When I post one-way transfers in gifting threads, I am aware someone might take something valuable (CB Trio or similar) just to trade it, and they're not breaking any rules by doing that. (I would think it's not a very nice thing to do - but I didn't have to post something free for anyone to take if I wanted to control what was going to happen to it.)

For traded dragons, I think trading them again is always okay.

Traded yes, gifted maybe.

Once it is on the other person's scroll, it isn't really my business anymore. When I post nice things on the departures thread, I usually request that the recipient doesn't trade/bite/kill it, but that is just a hope.

However, if I saw someone trading something special I had bred especially for them at their request, and they were all like, "I love it so much thank you I will name it," I probably wouldn't be gifting them anything else in the future.