Tigerkralle

ANSWERED:Night or day indicator for Solstices

Well, not eggs, but maybe hatchies can be different for rose\blue solstices? For any other alt dragon we either know the colour from the beginning because of the specifics or our scroll (Valentine Sweetlings, Snow Angels), or we are able to tell the colour right from the hatchie stage (Undines, Blacks, Dark Greens). Even Lunar Heralds have different egg sprites, if I need a white one, I just wouldn't take the brown one. And waiting until they grow up to a full-adult form is... pretty long.

For me, AP hunting proved to be a total mess in the case of Solstices. I prefer holiday hunting to trading, and when I breed any of mine, I mostly throw eggs in the AP too or give them away in the "free eggs" thread. But all of my "caught exactly in the night time with 7 days left" Solstices came out blue. I'd be totally OK if Solstices were able to breed all year long, but for a once-a-year breed it's a pain =\

Well, not eggs, but maybe hatchies can be different for rose\blue solstices? For any other alt dragon we either know the colour from the beginning because of the specifics or our scroll (Valentine Sweetlings, Snow Angels), or we are able to tell the colour right from the hatchie stage (Undines, Blacks, Dark Greens). Even Lunar Heralds have different egg sprites, if I need a white one, I just wouldn't take the brown one. And waiting until they grow up to a full-adult form is... pretty long.

For me, AP hunting proved to be a total mess in the case of Solstices. I prefer holiday hunting to trading, and when I breed any of mine, I mostly throw eggs in the AP too or give them away in the "free eggs" thread. But all of my "caught exactly in the night time with 7 days left" Solstices came out blue. I'd be totally OK if Solstices were able to breed all year long, but for a once-a-year breed it's a pain =\

Odeen already said no, and I want to respect her wishes. I think the exact hour of breeding is all we need here.

I'll be OK with an exact hour of breeding too, no problem. Just anything, really - but not waiting for them to become adults only to understand that you've still got the wrong colour %)

After this year's breeding, I would REALLY want an indicator of some sort. I didn't take any Solstices from the AP, traded for all mine and got them gifted and even then, people made mistakes with breeding and I ended up with wrongly-coloured Solstices.

I really don't care what the marker is, but I really want one before next year's holiday breeding, because this is just ridiculous.

We need something, I don't care what. Three of my Solstice have turned blue winged even thought I grabbed them after the rosy breeding time. I think I may release they, which is something I hardly ever do. It's not that I don't like the blue winged, they are very pretty. But I like the rosy better and I'm just frustrated that I have to wait a whole year to try again. If these were normal dragons it wouldn't be so bad. Make it simple, just add the time bred to all eggs.

Since the AP is messing up color predictions by giving you the complete wrong time to start with we absolutely need something. We shouldn't have no idea what sprite our holidays are going to end up as. If they were normal dragons I wouldn't be as concerned but we only have one small window per year to catch and breed them. Wasting all that time on wrong eggs because its literally impossible to be sure which they are is anything but fun.

Since the AP is messing up color predictions by giving you the complete wrong time to start with we absolutely need something. We shouldn't have no idea what sprite our holidays are going to end up as. If they were normal dragons I wouldn't be as concerned but we only have one small window per year to catch and breed them. Wasting all that time on wrong eggs because its literally impossible to be sure which they are is anything but fun.

I agree.

I got 2 beautiful line of solstices but they both turned blue wings and I wanted rosy wings. If I had some way to know the wings colors when I caught the eggs I would have returned them to the AP and hunted others but I had to wait till they grow to discover. Now I'm considering if I will keep them in my scroll or if I will release them. Bummer. dry.gif

We desperately need a way to know the wings color when we hunt eggs in the AP.

Edited by danicast

I agree that we really need some type of an indicator of the time an egg was bred. I'm currently waiting here and wondering what my Solstices' wing colours will be. None have grown up yet (except for the one I bred myself) and some of them didn't have any siblings that showed the "real" time of breeding so I'm hoping they will colour the way I planned.

So far the best suggestion in my opinion is that the hour of breeding would be displayed together with the date of breeding on an egg's/hatchling's page. It wouldn't change anything about the breed itself as it would only be an in-game mechanic probably applied to every breed on the site. But I'd be happy with just about anything that would tell the future wing-colour as the Solstices can only be bred once a year for one week and if they end up colouring wrong you'll have to wait a whole year to replace them, so it can get a little frustrating. :/

Same; if it weren't for how limited their breeding period is I wouldn't be as annoyed by how a player searching the AP can't accurately predict what they'll grow up to be, but we only have a week to breed them. One week. Out of 52.

Some sort of indicator is needed, even if it's only visible on S2 hatchlings. Actually, Suklaademoni's idea is way better.

Edited by Guillotine

Bringing this up again due to Christmas being around the corner, and I'd really like to be able to avoid the situation where I traded something rare for what I thought would be a Blue-winged Solstice only to find out it wasn't. Mentioning this because I know some people are going to jump in the bandwagon of "but the AP doesn't add time anymore"- the AP is just half the problem.

I think there was mention last year that the S2 hatchies would be recolored, but I don't know how true it is. Maybe I imagined it....But I agree. I have two people asking for specific colored pairings from me and I want to make sure my breeding window is correct.

I'll just say this outright for your convenience when considering descriptions.

The time at which a Solstice egg is laid:

- Does not change the physiology of the egg in any way. That means no change in its glow, color, reflectivity, or apparent surface temperature.

- Does not change the behavior or physiology of the hatchling in any way. That means no stargazing, extra shimmery skin, or increased energy levels.

Regarding color display, a Solstice would not display its wing color anywhere but on its wings, which means eggs and S1s would always just be blue because they don't have wings. An S2's wing color might vary based on its laid time, but it currently does not. (again with the 'things i'm indifferent to' list)

The development of color on the wings, like the growth of whiskers and the orb between their antlers, is a sign of maturation in those individuals whose wings are colorful (but Solstices don't view their blue-winged compatriots as immature any more than we'd see a blonde person as immature because their bright yellow-blonde baby hair stayed that way and didn't darken to dirty blonde as they aged).

I think that's what you mean? It was posted earlier in this thread- recolouring of s2 is an "indifferent" from Odie. I feel like adding the time an egg was laid to the view page is the easiest and least intrusive suggestion for solving this problem that's been proposed so far.

Edited by bluesonic1

I've always wished the S2 to have rosy wings if it is to grow up rosy^^; Both for the aesthetics and the indicator of the time it was bred visible before it grows up and in case of freezinng at least of the S2.

I'm also for adding exact time of breeding/cb catching and hatching being displayed at least while the dragon is still growing.

Still, I'd love a rosy s2 sprite introduced^^

I think that's what you mean? It was posted earlier in this thread- recolouring of s2 is an "indifferent" from Odie. I feel like adding the time an egg was laid to the view page is the easiest and least intrusive suggestion for solving this problem that's been proposed so far.

Yes, that's what I remembered. Either way, I think something should be done.

To be fair I'd be happy with a colour change in the S2 sprites as well, mostly because I realised a while ago that rosy & blue wing hatchies sort differently within the "Solstice" word when using Breed sort, so I have a hatchie inbetween my adults tongue.gif

Now that the AP time add is gone, it shouldn't be as much an issue this year, going by eggs alone.

With people having such strong color preferences, this really does need to be a thing, and IMO timestamping is easier and more realistic than expecting Odeen to recolor the S2 sprite (pretty/useful as that would be).

Now that the AP time add is gone, it shouldn't be as much an issue this year, going by eggs alone.

I did post earlier saying the AP is only half the problem- last year I traded for a Solstice that turned out the wrong colour due to human error on the breeder's part, and then I got stuck with it because I had no way of confirming this until it was too late. Also, even without the time add, the AP thing is still somewhat a guessing game- something very frustrating considering we only find out the colour after it's an adult and have to wait a whole other year to simply try again.

I'm in favour of these kinds of mechanics for dragons we can breed all year round, like the random colours of Gemshards. But not for a dragon that has a limited breeding window that we have to wait a year to correct mistakes that we didn't even make.

The only people who should ever be touching any Solstice sprites for any reason are me and JaziandCo, and I have no intention of ever recoloring the egg. I'm indifferent to a colorful S2, but the S1 and egg have no reason to display color.

I'm also indifferent to indicative descriptions, but you can be sure I'll be picky about the wording. Again, I see no problem with how things currently operate.

colourful s2, or just bred at 8pm or bred at 6am text next to how many days it has left

colourful s2, or just bred at 8pm or bred at 6am text next to how many days it has left

Or even just "bred during the day/night"; any indicator, however vague, would be fine.

I'd appreciate it too, as someone who has to breed them at a specific time for lineage reasons. It makes it a lot easier for the breeder to correct for next time if it's listed in some way.

Another year, another post. Can we please have some sort of indication on eggs and hatchlings as to what color wings they will end up with?

With the AP no longer adding a day that is a partial solution but is no help at all if you are trading hatchlings in the trade forums. Plus the human error with calculating breeding times if you are trading bred eggs with a specific trade partner. It get chaotic enough with various time zones trying to get both trade partners online at the same time without adding in a fussy breeding time frame for wing color.

Please throw us a bone. They are lovely dragons, I am in a lineage group that specializes in Christmas dragon lineages. Yet I don't collect Solstice dragons because of this problem. To me the times seem just opposite of what I think would be natural and I am not on cave time. Add in a trade partner on the other side of the world from me trying to get times right for what we want...is just more trouble than the dragons are worth to me. Sad but true.

Would be really nice if this happened, in any format (more specific time laid data, new S2 sprites, slightly different egg descrip... whatever). Right now the difficulty of ensuring you're getting the correct dragon in a tiny once-a-year breeding cycle is like a slap in the face to all those who love the sprites most. Risking a year of lost progress is not fun.

Someone posted an example of a rosy-winged s2 in TLQ in Help, so it looks like we did get a rosy-winged s2 version this year.

I kind of figured Odeen was going the s2 change way as it seemed very odd that such a discussed topic suddenly went quiet coming up to the event/season.

Thank you so much Odeen wub.gif