pudding

Underfallen

Usually when Sans fell asleep, he woke up to familiar surroundings. After all, this was the underground. Monsters kept to themselves and it was generally accepted that if you bothered someone, you’d end up in a fight. Tensions were high but it meant everyone who was alive knew how to respect boundaries. Even for the weakest monster in the underground like him, he had his brother standing over him that ensured that nobody ever messed with him. So if he fell asleep somewhere, odds were he would wake up in the same place. But this time, when he closed his eyes at his post, he woke up lying in the snow, staring upwards towards the top of the cavern the monsters lived in. For a moment, he was dumbfounded. Sitting upright, he glanced around at the snow and looked around, finding himself nowhere near his post at all. From the looks of it, he was just outside of Snowdin in the forest.

Sitting upright and brushing snow off of his black sweatshirt, he glanced around but the culprit for whomever had moved him was nowhere to be found. That was incredibly stupid. Not only had someone moved him in the first place, but they hadn’t even bothered to actually harm him. What was the point in doing something that would so obviously piss him off if they weren’t even going to follow through with the logical action there?

Sighing, the skeleton stood up and shrugged slightly, trudging through the snow back towards the main path. Ah, well, his mood was spoiled now. Might as well go back home and sleep back there. He could sort out whoever had bothered to move him after finishing his nap elsewhere.

"Let the great Papyrus get the water! After all, the sink is far too high for you!" The tall, slim skeleton was honestly the only one who could reach the impossibly tall sink. So, naturally, he was the one to fill up the pot. A large, steel pot was filled with water and placed on the stove. There was nothing better than making spaghetti with Frisk! Even Sans decided to join in! "Sans, could you get the vegetables out of the refrigerator? Teach frisk how to make the sauce!" He turned, offering the small child both a tomato and a mincing knife. Teaching to cook young made for successful children!

But the other skeleton was silent for quite some time. Sans's eyes darted between both Frisk and the knife in the child's hands. The image was too similar it...He tensed, his right eye flickering blue for just a second. And then, as if it had never happened, he smiled and walked forward.

"How's about we leave the sharp stuff for the adults?" He suggested, gently taking the knife from Frisk. "I can cut the veggies, you can add them to the saucepan." The uneasiness on his face still lingered, albeit faintly. It just...it looked too similar.

---

This was not the bed he had gone to sleep in. In fact, he had never been to this place before. The sunlight streaming gently above him...it was infuriating to see. Papyrus awoke in a field of flowers, sitting atop a small mound. Above him was the sole opening to the Underground, taunting him from so far away. And yet...this place was unfamiliar. Perhaps it was the ruins?

The tall skeleton climbed to his feet, brushing dirt and flower petals from his outfit. How awful this place was. Cheerful things like this were usually torn up for a reason. No matter. He would find a way out of this awful place.

Edited by shadow_claw

Frisk accepted the vegetable and knife easily enough, holding the fruit in one hand and the knife in the other. They had come back to Sans and Papyrus after defeating Flowey once and being told they needed to make an effort to get closer to their friends to reach an ending that would be better for everyone. So they had spent their time with Sans and Papyrus, occasionally visiting Alphys and Undyne as well. They didn’t want to go back to Asgore until they were ready. And that wasn’t right now.

Surprised when the knife was suddenly lifted from their hand, they looked over at Sans in surprise, an almost questioning look on their face. But they accepted the new role and moved to the counter next to Sans, waiting for the to start cutting all of the vegetables so they could toss them into the saucepan. Looking eagerly up at Sans, they smiled, waiting for him to continue.

Sans noticed something was amiss immediately upon reaching Snowdin. Instead of the bleak, snow-covered town filled with monsters, the inhabitants of this place bounced along with an unusual amount of…cheerfulness. It was revolting. And what was stranger is they all seemed to recognize him.

“Hello Sans!”

“How are you today?”

What was wrong with this place? Moving quickly through the town, Sans quickly made it back to his own house. But before he could move to open the door, noise from the inside caught his attention. Moving around the side of the house, he peered in one of the windows, immediately shocked to see two skeletons inside. One, that looked like himself and another that vaguely resembled his brother. But what was more surprising was the small child standing near himself. He knew that child all too well. It was the human.

What were they doing?

What were they doing alive?

Although he didn't tower over the counter like Papyrus did, Sans could each it pretty comfortably. Sliding the cutting board over to himself, he set one of the soft tomatoes on the plastic and began to cut. Poor Frisk didn't even know. His actions...they all had a meaning to them. And he had reason to be afraid. Just...he wouldn't overreact. It wasn't his style. After chopping up the first tomato, he offered the now full cutting board to Frisk. "Here you go. Stand on the stool there, and tilt it over the pot. I'll scrape 'em in..." For a moment, he felt as if he was being watched. Slowly, as not to arouse suspicion, the shorter skeleton turned his head a fraction. And what he saw out the window...

That wasn't possible. Because who he saw...It was him. Staring right back at him. And yet...whoever this was clearly wasn't himself. Because he was...him! There couldn't be a second one. And his teeth...

"Hey guys, gotta run to the little skeleton's room." He declared, handing the cutting board and knife to his brother. Sans sauntered out of the room, walking calmly until he was out of sight. As soon as he wasn't visible...

His right eye flashed blue as Sans leaned against the wall, searching through all the possible timelines. Was there ever a possibility he could look like that? No...Nothing was coming up! Sans continued to search until he looked as if he would faint, eventually breaking off his search out of exhaustion. Hands shaking, his hand crept toward the door.

What was going on?

Frisk followed the instructions easily enough but when Sans suddenly ran to the bathroom, they paused. Glancing back towards the window, they hesitated slightly but nobody was there. The glass just showed the snow outside and the trees there as well. Oh well. It was probably nothing. Looking back up at Papyrus, they smiled slightly and tilted the saucepan towards him so he could add in the vegetables.

---

Sitting down beneath the window so that he was no longer visible, Sans frowned. Well then. This certainly was strange. It looked as though he was going to be forced into a confrontation with another version of himself now that he had been seen. It was the only logical thing to do, after all. It's what he would do and surely this other version of himself couldn't be so stupid as to just ignore this. Based on the surroundings alone, he could tell that he was the he was the one who was an anomaly. This wasn't his timeline.

If it was, the human wouldn't still be alive.

Moving around the side of the house, he shoved his hands in his pockets, he moved around to the front door. There would have to be some kind of a confrontation. At the very least, he could act civil towards himself. For now, at least. Taking the direct approach would probably be the best idea. So he raised one of his hands to the door and knocked just once.

Papyrus, although somewhat concerned, was quick to step in for his brother. Maybe he had eaten something bad at Grillby's. Sans was acting a little weird, but...Sans was always a little weird. It was sort of his thing! Tilting the cutting board upwards for Frisk, he offered her the knife. "That's it! Scrape it all in." He smiled, glad to have someone other than Undyne to cook with. Undyne was great and all, but she was always so...violent. cooking was a labor of love, not war!

---

As soon as a hand was reached out to knock on the door, another pulled it open. The Sans behind the door took a step backwards at his own reflection, shocked. It...was real. This was no illusion, then. Silently did he stare at his mirror, blue smoke fading from his right eye. His eyes sockets narrowed slowly, carefully, as if he was debating what to do. "Where...was your timeline?" He asked, frowning. It was like...it didn't even exist!

Edited by shadow_claw

It was even stranger looking at him up close. Lowering his hand and stuffing it back in his pocket, Sans stared at his clone silently, assessing him with a careful eye. Er... eye socket. But really, they looked identical. Everything about them was a mirror. Well, except their clothes. Oh, their teeth. It looked like this other version of himself didn't have sharpened teeth, or even a golden tooth. What an odd set of differences to have.

"Where?" He echoed, looking a bit perplexed. He leaned backwards slightly, tilting his chin forward so that he was looking up at the other version of himself. "It's not as if I can give you directions. But..." He trailed off, looking past Sans and then around them. Too many monsters lurking about. No place to have a conversation, that was for sure. "Why don't we chat somewhere more private?"

((I left underfell pap up for interaction, since you said you wanted to use both floweys))

Sans frowned, lowering his voice so the two in the other room couldn't hear. "I couldn't, you know, see it. Anywhere." He replied, glancing behind his shoulder at the kitchen. He never said how badly he needed to use the bathroom. "Fine. Just, follow me." Sans led the way to the backyard, to a rundown shed. In fact, it hardly looked like it could be entered. But he unlocked it anyways, allowing for his copy to enter.

Being back in the workshop after all these years...It made his heart hurt. He hadn't been inside for...ages. Papyrus was too young to remember, but the shed was once their father's hideaway. Sometimes, the older man wouldn't leave for days. He was either in the shed, or in the lab. That's how it always was.

Sans now stored some personal items inside. Pictures of other timelines. Of how it could be, or was, at one point. Other than scattered mementos and machinery, a large object lay in the far corner, covered by a sheet. It had been there for...what, twenty years? Twenty five? The eldest of the skeleton brothers dared not look at it. It hurt too much.

"I couldn't see it. Your timeline. Or you in it. How...how many times did Frisk reset? What happened?"

Would that happen to them, once Frisk got tired of resetting? That everything would disappear? No...That couldn't happen!

((Oh, I didn't realize. Whoops!))

Sans followed his copy around the back of the house to the room hidden back there. Closing the door behind himself, he glanced around but was satisfied that it looked almost exactly like his own. There was a change, of course, since he refused to enter his own since the accident so long ago. But the covered machine certainly was familiar.

"Frisk," He replied, focusing back on his copy. Rolling the word around in his mouth, he hummed softly then shrugged. "Oh, you mean the human you were cooking with." There was a slight pause, barely a few seconds long as he ran the scenario out in his head. No, this was just like at home. Revealing that wasn't such a good idea. He never knew who would take that personally and who would get angry over it. Lying was easier and safer. Just carry on with the secret he'd been holding onto.

"Never seen one like that in my own timeline. Or at least not one that can reset. That's a very dangerous power, isn't it? How many times have you had to start over?"

----

Flowey sat alone in his own part of the ruins. As a flower, there wasn't all that much to do. There was plotting and scheming but it wasn't as if he could enjoy himself outside of that. No, his only amusement came from anything stupid enough to believe him. Just like...

"Papyrus!" The flower exclaimed in surprise as the skeleton suddenly appeared. What was he doing in the ruins? That made absolutely no sense!

And what was he wearing?

"What are you doing in here?" He asked, his voice falling back down to a whisper. "I thought you'd be out training for the royal guards."

There was a long pause of silence. Sans sifted through various photographs, his tense expression melting into dread. "Too many." This one...had lasted particularly longer than the others. The child often sped through it all, killing everything in their path, or rushing friendships. It was always the same. A hand drifted to his chest, where a particularly deep wound had once existed. Sometimes, he could still feel it. Even though, if he pulled his shirt off, nothing would be there.

But he knew it had happened. "But they're...a good kid. Very kind. The other one...I don't know what it is. But it's not Frisk."

Sans stared at his opposite with a slight frown. Clearly, there had been strong differences in their timelines. Moreover, this was himself. He should be smart enough not to... well, not to be so stupid.

"What other one?"[/color] He replied, taking a small step forward, away from the door. No, that didn't matter. What mattered was the real problem at hand. "Good kid or not doesn't matter. They're human. You should have killed them by now. Instead, you're playing house." Looking almost disgusted, his voice lowered into a small whisper. "It doesn't matter what you do now. Eventually, they'll just reset. And you'll be right back where you started. Never moving forward. Always stuck in the same exact place."

What was initially dread quickly soured into anger as his copy spoke. Kill Frisk? A kid? He could never do that. Even when he had tried, all those times ago... No. That was to save the timeline. To keep it from being corrupted. This...this was different. Sans's face hardened into a scowl as the other skeleton spoke. "What's wrong with you? Why would I hurt Frisk? They're our friend. My friend. They're nothing but kindness." A dreadful feeling crept up his spine, leaving him feel chilled. This...was not him. Although they looked very much the same, they were different people. This Sans...was violent. He could tell by the look in the other skeleton's eye. He wouldn't anything happen to that sweet little kid. . "You even glance at that kid the wrong way, and you'll be in for a bad time." he growled.

---

That voice...yes, he had heard it before. Never that confident, though. Papyrus turned his head, eyesockets narrowing at the beaming flower. This was...odd. The last time he saw that flower, it was with the child. The human that had vanished. The one whose soul was never found. The one that kept them trapped. Sneering as best a monster without lips could, the dark-clad skeleton arched his back to appear taller. "Do you think I, the Great and Terrible Papyrus, need those miserable whelps! Nyeh he he!" His gaze hardened, a sneer turning into a scathing glare. "Don't insult me so. Now, unless you are willing to assist me out of these...disgusting...ruins," Papyrus's eyes narrowed, bones materializing around the flower. "I suggest you hold still. It's easier to kill you that way! Nyeh he he!"

The smile reformed on San's face as he stared at his clone, head cocked slightly to the side. "Are they?" He asked. That was adorable. A version of him that thought he could have friends. Not only that, but a version of him that was friends with a human. It was almost comical. "Last time I checked, friends didn't reset friends. No one should have that kind of ability." But he apparently conceded, raising his hands in surrender. "I don't know where my timeline went but I know this one isn't mine. I will make sure I don't interfere with your home. You can have your little game of house. I'll just try to figure out how to get back to my own him. Alright?"

----

Oh. What? Staring up at Papyrus in shock, the flower tensed up as the bones suddenly materialized around them. Now that he looked, he could see that not only had Papyrus's outfit changed, but his actual features looked different. His teeth, for one, were sharpened as if he had filed them down into points. This...this wasn't right. "Wait!" Flowey quickly exclaimed. "I know how to get out of these ruins. Let me just show you." If this didn't work out, he should be able to duck down into the dirt fast enough to avoid death. But it would be close and he didn't want to risk it if he didn't have to.

Sans glanced away, his scowl remaining intact. "I don't...think they know that I know. They don't...realize..." The more he spoke, the less sure he sounded, until he was completely silent. Frisk would never do something that awful on purpose. Never. Sighing, Sans ran a hand down his face. "Look...I guess you can stay with us. Just...don't say who you are. You can be, like, our cousin or something. I don't want to explain everything to Papyrus. Not yet." He decided. It would be cruel to kick this guy out of his own house, after all.

Well that was ever a lie if he heard one. Of course the kid knew. What kind of being held that power and didn't even realize it? Still, he was here now. This world didn't need such a destructive force in it. The power of a god couldn't be give to just anyone. And certainly not some bratty, human child. If this Sans didn't realize it, he could just take matters into his own hands. "It's better if less people know. Spares the heartache when everything rolls back." He nodded slightly, musing over the idea before winking. "It doesn't look like my presence here will cause significant problems for the timeline. It hasn't already, after all. So I'll stay with you and pose as your cousin until I can find a fix to this. Now can we get out of this room? I really hate being in here."

Sans's expression softened and he, too, headed towards the door. "Yeah...me too." There was no arguing with that. This was the only place that he was certain nobody else could barge in, which was why he picked it. As soon as he was given the chance, however, he oillied tf outie.

"Great news! Our second cousin Roman has come to visit!" Sans strode back into the house, beaming as if nothing was wrong. He looped an arm around his brother and chuckled.

"Roman? I didn't think we had any relatives!" Papyrus tilted his head, visibly confused. He finished straining the noodles, pouring them back into the empty pot.

"I'm not pullin' your tibia. Cousin Roman doesn't visit very often."

"Well..." The skinny skeleton paused, as if considering his options. "Nyeh he he! The Great Papyrus always makes enough food for a guest!"

---

Eyes narrowing, Papyrus stared at the flower for a few seconds. He could just kill the stupid thing and find his own way out. But...he could get its help and kill it later. That would work. "Very well. You are fortunate to find my temporary mercy." The bones fizzled away, returning to wherever they were to begin with. "Lead the way, slave!"

Roman? Really? No, it was fine. At least it seemed like Papyrus accepted the lie easily enough. Apparently the color changes between their clothes was enough of a difference to fool him. Briefly, Sans wondered if his own brother would fall for the same tricks. Eh, probably. "Sorry to drop in on such short notice," He replied with a smile. Frisk, taking that moment to step out of the kitchen, looked up at 'Roman' in surprise. Blankly, Frisk stared at the third skeleton in the room for several long moments before turning away, their expression never changing once. Moving over to Papyrus, they lifted their hands up to show off their hands with a frown.

"Pap!" Frisk declared, trying to get the tallest skeleton's attention so he would look at their hands. Which were covered in the tomato sauce they had been making. Wiggling their fingers, they watched, waiting for Papyrus to notice. He was the only one tall enough to lift them up to the sink so they could wash their hands, after all. The new skeleton was all but ignored from this point on, leaving Sans to stand in the doorway in obvious confusion. Why had the kid stared at him for so long and then not said anything? Had it realized? Or not?

----

"T...thank you," Flowey replied hesitantly, using the time to figure out how they could properly guide Papyrus. They were just a flower after all. Sinking quickly into the ground, there was a slight pause before they resurfaced near the end of the hall. "Just follow me. This will be the easiest way to go. We will have to go through Toriel's house but she comes out here everyday to look for humans so it should be easy enough to avoid her."

Upon seeing Frisk's dirty hands, Papyrus smiled widely. "Ah, I see! Those tomatoes stood no chance against the Fantastic Frisk!" He crouched, ducking so Frisk could climb onto his shoulders. Once settled on his shoulders, Papyrus stood partially, crouched so the kid could reach the sink. "Be sure to use the MTT brand hand soap! It's smells good and has sparkles!"

Sans smiled as he watched frisk and Papyrus have fun together, a smile on his own face. Frisk would never reset if they knew how awful it was. To know that any day could start it all over again. Again, a warning flashed in the skeleton's gaze. He would not let Frisk be killed. Especially not by a version of himself.

Keeping their hands up, Frisk carefully climbed onto Papyrus's shoulders, trying to avoid getting tomato sauce on his head. Humming loudly, they waited for Papyrus to stand up before reaching over and turning on the sink so they could rinse off their hands in the kitchen. However, this quickly turned into a game itself as the sink filled up with soapy water and Frisk began splashing their hands in it, getting water on the floor and especially on Papyrus.

Sans frowned as he watched the human and Papyrus laugh and joke. As if that thing wasn't the real monster in the room. As if it wouldn't hesitate to kill them all in a second and restart everything. Like it was some kind of game. Sans's hand twitched slightly as he closed one of his eyes, suppressing the power that manifested there with a sigh instead. Shaking his head, he glanced briefly at the other Sans and shrugged sheepishly before stepping away from the kitchen to avoid being splashed by the water Frisk was throwing about.

The laughter in the room was contagious, as even Sans chuckled a little. Of course, while getting the food they had worked on out of the way. Papyrus was a great guy, but he didn't always think things through. That what Sans was there for. To make sure nothing bad happened. Picking up both pots, he moved them out of the way of the water. Water, of which, he would have to clean up. Not that he minded, of course.

His smile faded as his gaze drifted to the other Sans. Was he...honestly struggling not to fight? That...was appalling. What timeline had this version of himself came from? It must be horrid.

Deciding the best course of action was to distance himself from the sickeningly sweet situation and the laughter coming from both the child and skeletons, Sans moved to the far wall closest to the stairs and leaned against it, hands safely nested in his pockets. Closing both of his eyes, he began to rack his brain for what he should do in this situation. If the other Sans could not see his timeline, there was a very good possibility it was gone. He would need to check if anyone else had tumbled across timelines on accident as well. But if their own timeline had snapped and broken apart, it was very likely that they would have no way of getting back. Which meant it would be a permanent stay here.

Frisk was beaming by the time both they and Papyrus were covered in water. In a quick movement, they slid off the skeleton's shoulders and dropped to the floor, splashing in the small layer of water that had gathered there as a result of their antics. Turning to Sans, they smiled and tugged on his jacket, trying to pull him back over to the sink to play with the water with them.

Sans didn't argue when tugged towards the overflowing sink. He laughed, sliding off his (now soggy) slippers to splash in the small layer of water that covered the kitchen floor. "Gotta go bare bones for this! Can't ruin my slippers!" More than they were already ruined, that was. They were already really gross looking.

---

It didn't take long for Papyrus to catch on, following the little trail Flowey had made. After all, he could keep this...thing. Alive while they were needed. "This...woman. Will she cause problems?" He asked as they walked. Soon, they reached a small, quaint cottage. Oh..odd. Looked like a great place to loot.

"No," Flowey replied with a small shake of his head. Stopping out front of the cottage as he couldn't very easily appear inside thanks to the floors blocking his path, he glanced at the door then smiled. "She probably isn't even here right now. And even if she was, she doesn't like to fight. She believes in mercy. If you don't attack her, she probably won't care and will just let you pass through."

Frisk laughed and tossed some of the water at Sans as they splashed about too. However, this only lasted a few seconds before they paused and looked towards the door. Stepping out of the water, they walked to the entrance of the kitchen and looked out at the main area, their eyes quickly finding 'Roman' as he rested against the wall, his eyes closed and his hands stuffed in his pockets. Quickly darting across the floor over to him, they paused as they looked over the skeleton.

Looks like Sans wearing different clothes

Frowning slightly, Frisk tilted their head to the side, debating on waking up the skeleton and getting him to join in on the fun.

That was...odd. Encountering any other monster usually led to combat. Very well. He could just sneak through. Papyrus tested the door, suprised to find it unlocked. Though, when he walked inside, he was met with a startled woman, flames flickering in one hand. In the other, she clutched a cell phone. It looked at if she had been in the middle of failing someone's number.

"Who...you are you!" She stammered, expression both worried and angry. Having sensitive ears (and Papyrus was always really loud), she could overheat the conversation. Her eyes, however, quickly darted to Flowey. "Go...go away!"

---

"Hey kid?" Sans turned as Firsk began to walk away, his expression concerned. He was now soaked with water, just like Papyrus. But Papyrus didn't seem to mind. "Roman took a real long walk from his place. He just wants a little rest. He can play later, okay?" Frisk would be harder to convince than Papyrus. After all, Papyrus was too trusting for his own good. Frisk...was abnormally perceptive compared to the other monsters around.

Edited by shadow_claw

Frisk glanced back at Sans as he suddenly spoke up. But they looked less than convinced and turned back to the skeleton as he rested against the wall. Only a few seconds had passed but it looked as though he had actually fallen asleep instead of just resting there with his eyes closed. But when they looked at him closer, it really looked exactly like Sans. He even fell asleep everywhere as well.

Turning completely to face Sans now, they stared at him for a few moments before glancing up at the other skeleton. Roman. Giving Sans a long look, they remained between the two, waiting for them to offer up a much-needed explanation. And a cousin Roman wasn’t going to cut it.

——

Flowey frowned when the door opened to reveal the goat. Oh, great. “Never mind,” He replied, shrinking slightly into the ground with a hiss. “We just need to get through here. I can’t help you until you’re out of the ruins. Not unless you decide to carry me."