AndyFromStateFarm

How Old is Too Old to Trick or Treat?

Maximum Age It's OK to Trick or Treat  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I feel like something around 12-15 might be a little too old or something. I have no idea really, but gladly Halloween isn't only about trick or treating - for me it's great to just have some costume and have fun with friends if they were into Halloween stuff. biggrin.gif

I stopped trick or treating when I was 15, but I don't think there should be any age limit on it. If you want to have fun on Halloween in the form of trick or treating, have fun! Many of the people giving out candy probably won't think this way, so if you're older, you might want to hope you're short and have a good costume to cover up your age? XD Personally, I would love dressing up as characters I love any day, but as I have no nerdy friends (or inrl friends at all, not that i really want them) and would never be comfortable at conventions, I never have the chance. But oh well.. I don't even have a costume to wear if I could. But, Seriously, if you wanna trick or treat, go trick or treating... Maybe you could even ask someone you know if you can take their little kid (Like, maybe your little cousin or sibling.) so it doesn't look so "weird."

It's up to you. I think I stopped around 14 or 15 because I started going to parties instead. Then when I was 17, my mom had my baby brother. By the time I was in my early 20's, I was taking him and my baby sister out trick or treating. My sister is now 13, and I'm going to try to take her out this year...probably the last time ever sad.gif

I stopped when I was 12. I was tall for my age and people thought I was a high schooler and I had to have my dad come with me to each door in order to get candy from people dry.gif

I had this problem too. My shorter friends used to tease me about it. They kept going for a couple of years after I stopped because adults were kinda nasty about giving me candy. I was the third tallest kid in my grade as I had my spurt early.

I think if I had kids (which I don't so maybe this isn't a great comment since I'm not really a parent), I would do something else "special" for my kids around age 10 and up. Because I know kids age 10 and up figure once they are over 9... and have that second digit, you are really a "pre-teen" and I remember when I was 10 I always wondered why 10 11 and 12 weren't considered "teens" (I understand the reasoning now since it's often more puberty or hormonal based, not that pre-teens have plenty of that), and wanted to do more semi-adult things.

I think there is a gradual progression where you get more "adult" or "older kid/big kid" privelages and responsibilities, and I think Halloween Parties and stuff would be part of that. I think kids age 10 and up should be able to have parties and still dress up, and I'd buy them whatever candy they wanted if they still wanted that sort of thing.

Of course, I guess it also depends on maturity. If I had a really mature kiddo who felt Halloween was too kiddy or goofy for them, I'd respect that. If I had a kiddo that (for example, due to some developmental issues may have more of the social or intellectual abilities of a younger age), I would certainly take them trick or treating or do something else to celebrate it so they could still enjoy that.

So I just think it depends on the Kiddo/person. But I also think the parents should still be able to do something awesome for them and not just say "You are stuck at home and don't get to do anything." Halloween is a big deal for young people (and many adults) and people should be allowed to celebrate, dress up, watch scary movies, eat candy, do whatever in a way they would seem to most enjoy it. And I know plenty of family or small or big parties for any age that can be way more cool than just going out and trick-or-treating. Also without the kids running around and doing pranks and messing up houses or getting into trouble. Although you gotta let kids be kids sometimes too and sometimes do stupid things and learn from their mistakes.

I think if a kid is starting to get to an age where the situation is iffy, its up to the parents to provide a much cooler more enjoyable alternative. I've never known a kid to throw a fit about the idea of having a super awesome or going to a really fun halloween gathering with their friends or family vs going "out". When I was that age I'd have taken the fun anytime vs having to drag around my siblings and wear the stupidest costumes of being hobos each year my mother demanded us to wear because we were so "poor" to do anything else and wanted to make a big deal of our "impoverished state". But my parents were very rarely cool or awesome or fun.

Edited by natayah

I voted on the "never too old" more for the fact it made me laugh.

I stopped trick or treating at about 12-13ish too.

But at almost 21, I still dress up to answer the door, ect, or to go to parties. You're never too old for that! That's like saying "hey, you're _ years old. stop having fun"

One year, I had a kid running down the street yelling "call an ambulance!"

I think my fake wounds were a bit too realistic xd.png

I voted never too old. That said - I don't do it and I never did - except to be behind my children when they were too little to be out alone.

I never wanted to. But I'd defend the right of those who DO want to and who enjoy it to do it as long as they like. As long as they don't take all the candy - kids need that side of it all more than grown-ups tongue.gif

Age breakdown ? I'm 71 laugh.gif

At least in my neighborhood, if the "older" kids still wanted to trick-or-treat, they'd help out shepherding or supervising the younger kids. That way, you'd still get to wear a costume and eat tons of candy, and the little ones won't roam out into the street.

I personally think once you're 18 and over, it is a little bit silly. But that's just me.

The last time I went Trick-or-Treating was in 2008.

I'll never stop, not even when I'm dead. I'll just come down from heaven and use my old pillowcase as a bag. But I'd need to find a costume that wouldn't go through a ghost first...

I wish I could say never. But unfortunately, I have to say early teens, maybe 12-13. As most people have said.

Halloween is freaking awesome though. It's may favourite time of year. I still dress up to go to parties, ect. But unfortunately, 20 year old's don't get free candy.

Shame. sad.gif

In my opinion Trick or Treating ends when you start high school. Although if you really wanted to dress up as something, you could take kids with you or attend ComiCon.

Ive never gone trick or treating. No one really does it around here. Well some do but not like there in merica. Also i dont live in america but latvia soooooooo idk when you should stop.

I'd love to say "never"

Only because, as an adult who's never been trick or treating in her life, I would love the experience. But I know that I can't. Unfortunately. xd.png

I grew up in countries where Trick or Treating was never really a thing and Halloween wasn't celebrated widely.