AndyFromStateFarm

How Old is Too Old to Trick or Treat?

Maximum Age It's OK to Trick or Treat  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It also depends on if you can be mistaken for a 13 year old at the age of 21. xP

12-13 years old. Most kids I know stop doing it then, and I stopped doing it around that age.

My last year was at thirteen. Made an incredible silver ghost/alien costume that last year. After that, I got involved in setting up the decorations and passing out candy to the trick-or-treaters. The neighborhood where I grew up actually blocks off several streets in the area, and everyone decorates. It's almost like a small Mardi Gras with wandering musicians and jugglers. and a couple thousand kids coming through with their parents.

I kind of miss some of the Halloween festivities, since no one trick-or-treats in the area where I live now. I think my son was 11 when he last went trick or treating, but he didn't like costumes that much.

There isn't a point to trick-or-treating if you're not dressed up, and teenagers in everyday clothes, just holding pillowcases, are really tacky.

For as long as you continue to dress up, and have kids to take with you. Like.. toddler range and up. Im not a fan of people taking BABIES trick or treating...

As much as I love the idea of trick or treating, I've always seen it as a thing that ends with middle school. Adults going around looking for free candy just seems... strange. Go buy your own roflol

Now costumes and dressing up for Halloween, THAT is ageless. happy.gif

I should add that even at 60, I still at least pull out the pirate hat to wear for a while, even if I'm not going anywhere, and I do have several good costumes that I will continues to use as I get older. I can still be a pirate, a witch, a vampire, a queen, an alien, or whatever I want, and age has nothing to do with that. biggrin.gif

I should add that even at 60, I still at least pull out the pirate hat to wear for a while, even if I'm not going anywhere, and I do have several good costumes that I will continues to use as I get older. I can still be a pirate, a witch, a vampire, a queen, an alien, or whatever I want, and age has nothing to do with that. biggrin.gif

Well put and I agree. I'm almost 27 and I have a niece and nephew and my boyfriend has little brothers. I've trick-or-treated with both of them and had a fun time no matter what. Heck, I even dressed up as a clown (and I hate clowns) but it was fun to act goofy and make them laugh.

My opinion is, as long as you have fun and enjoy yourself it doesn't matter how old you are. happy.gif

My last year I was 27 ( college as well so yay for living on campus that allowed everyone to ToT) Before that I was actually out with my little cousins, and dressed up. Any candy I had though went to them ( mostly)

I'll go any year with my lil brother.

but I stopped doing it by myself after highschool I think.

My lil bro alternates years with us with his mom so I went to a community halloween party that I helped decorate and bake for...

It was all older people of course and I think I was one of the younger people... But damn the people there had kickass costumes... a couple of them made my jaw drop tbh.

I definitely love halloween too much to ever just " sit home and hand out treats"

edit: I put the "never too old option" though you can always bring a younger kid that's somewhat related to you and go house to house with them.

Whether or not you can get candy out of it depends on how young you look in your costume and how short you are of course...

Edited by 626lavaheart

As much as I love the idea of trick or treating, I've always seen it as a thing that ends with middle school. Adults going around looking for free candy just seems... strange. Go buy your own roflol

Middle school? Where I live, every year there's one or two groups of high schoolers who make a round through the neighborhood. I think about senior year of high school or maybe a year after seems like a good time to stop. Once you're 20, you can't claim to be a teenager anymore.

Never think it is, but my parents say to stop at high school somewhere, or 18 or older, I like to go treat-or-treating every year but others might think its weird, and I don't get it.

It'd be interesting to me to see an age breakdown of how people voted.

When I was nearing my last years of trick-or-treating, I always thought my friends and I would go all through HS. Then our freshman year of trick-or-treating we had a really bad time (we ended up fighting and we split into a few different groups), and we never ended up going trick-or-treating after that.

Now that I'm older, I really think teens should be doing other things - handing out candy, Halloween party, haunted houses, etc. Teens can be really disrespectful towards little kids (inappropriate language parents might not want their kids to be learning quiet yet, even being disrespectful of kids physical safety), so it'd be nice if they stayed away from the trick-or-treat scene and let young kids enjoy their activity. There's always leftover candy or allowance/wages to buy their own candy.

I also think it's less fun for people to hand out candy to teens. They're getting to a point where they're just not as outwardly enthusiastic (or cute) as kids - with a lot, it's more like they expect the candy and can be a little dismissive towards those handing it out. So now that I'm older, I voted with the end of middle school should come the end of trick-or-treating. So about when you're to the point where you don't really need adult supervision to trick-or-treat.

Parents notwithstanding because they're more supervising than trick-or-treating (completely acceptable to take some of their kids candy as a "fee"!).

So, I think how you act is very important. I don't mind seeing a 14 year old trick or treating at all, but if they're swearing or trying to act really cool, I don't like it. There are lots of kids around, it's dark, and they may be trick-or-treating in an unfamiliar neighbourhood. Try and help them to feel safe.

If the person is old enough to get a part time job, I think that's really the cut off for going out trick or treating with your peers. Trick or treating with younger friends or family? Sure, go ahead. Dressing up doesn't harm anyone. And if you see something you really like at someone's house, then that's cool, too. (wandering around in the cold trying to look after a bunch of kids deserves some kind of reward!)

I'd vote if there were some ages to vote on.

Although not trick-or-treating, I took a lot of pleasure out of scaring others when we visited the horror maze the other week.

Uh, back when I was around the age suitable for ToT, Halloween wasn't even a thing around here. But in the last 15+ years, Halloween has become ever more popular, and my daughter (12) very much enjoys it, and has done so for a couple of years. smile.gif

While I personally stopped trick-or-treating at 13ish, I wish there was no stigma to going trick-or-treating when older. I heard stories from friends who continued to do it tell of people that refused them quite rudely because they were too old.

The usual "Halloween Party" excuse rings hollow when you are not a party person, nor have friends that are party people. My house is located such that there ARE no trick-or-treaters(there were a few times when I had neighbors young enough). So as I also have no kids of my own, Halloween means NOTHING to me except for dc stuff, and that quite frankly makes me sad. Also, the "buy your own candy" also rings hollow, you can buy candy ANY TIME OF THE YEAR. It isn't just about the candy, it is about having fun while doing so.

Edited by Nectaris

My son just turned 3 and he started Trick or Treating. I think I'll stop doing it with him when we both hit age 13 tongue.gif

One day a year it is okay to be Peter Pan and act like a kid again. No age limit for me. I buy enough Halloween treats to supply a small planet so everyone is welcome to trick or treat at my house.

It depends on your circumstances, I think. I stopped for a few years in my mid-teens, but then we moved and I became close to the kids next door. I took them trick or treating for a few years, and I dressed up and got candy as well. I was... 20, 21 at the time, I think?

You're only too old for it once you think you are. :3

I personally don't think I'll get 'too old' for it ever, but there might be years when I'm too lazy xd.png

I stopped when I was 12. I was tall for my age and people thought I was a high schooler and I had to have my dad come with me to each door in order to get candy from people dry.gif