Twyro

Your Caligene breeding and naming plans

Does anyone have any idea what caligene is supposed to mean?

Or how to translate it in Latin?

For now, as I can't translate the breed's name at all I just have Caligen and Caligena... But I'm not sure if I won't rename them.

Does anyone have any idea what caligene is supposed to mean?

Or how to translate it in Latin?

For now, as I can't translate the breed's name at all I just have Caligen and Caligena... But I'm not sure if I won't rename them.

Wild guess (and may get changed if / when spriter might answer!), but:

Caligenes - caligine / caligo, in both Italian and Latin, translate to soot /smog / fog / darkness / gloom. The dragon breed might be an adapted spelling?

Sources

Wikipedia articles caligine (Italian / Latin) ; caligo (Latin)

ETA: Aha! Quote from spriter, Infinis, in thread here:

I wasn't actually aware calligare was a word, I just modified it from caliginous (also of Latin origin and means essentially the same thing...)! xd.png
Edited by panthera1

Wow, I don't normally like to do Holiday x Holiday pairings but they look awesome with Radiant Angels and Graves! I might have to break my rule!

I'm also loving them with GWs. The Green Gemshard and Thunder pairings look pretty rocking too. I was thinking of trying green coppers too. I made sure to influence my Jungle and Coast Caligenes to be female, just in case.

Mine are named: Females- Mothshade, Skullfeather, and Malevolentshine; Males- Anubisclaw, Midnightmoth, and Bonefeather.

As for breeding, my first thought was Bronze Lunar Heralds, Spirit Wards, Autumns, and Whiptails. :) Night Glories and Howlers would look lovely, too, I think, but dang those are Drakes... *sigh* And maybe something new that's not out yet but released before next Halloween will look nice with these guys.

The pureblood pair(I hope xd.png) Male: There is no escaping because my and female: fate is horror and doom.

Another male: the fear is tying you down

The last one doesn't have a name yet, waiting for them to gender to decide.

I named most of mine for their codes. I always try to get holidays with cool codes, though it was harder this year than in previous ones. So I ended up with males Khaene, Masix, and K'samp, and females Jescai, Obranat, and K'pori. All of them have the Aglarond surname, which all my CB dragons get. There are an additional two that I haven't named yet, because their codes are more challenging to pull names from and also because I forget which one I influenced to be which gender.

Might end up doing a PB line with K'samp and K'pori. I don't typically like PBs very much (checkers are more my thing), but I really like how their names go together.

These look amazing! I can't wait to try them.

I found that the Solstice dragons go well with these. The female Caligene sprite to me, looks similar to the Solstice sprites, but alas, Solstices are female too, so I won't be able to breed lineages of the two sprites.

Anyway, in case you'd like to compare sprites with other sprites to see how they go, here are the image links for the from the wiki.

user posted image - Male

user posted image - Female

Pairs I quite like:

user posted image x user posted image - I like the contrasting colours.

user posted image x user posted image

user posted image x user posted image - The feathers make this one.

So far I like them best with bronze/gold lunar heralds, golds, mageias, and graves. But they look like they will go well with a lot of different dragons.  biggrin.gif

All of mine have "Omen" at the end of their name. The first names are: dreary, bleak, dismal, grim, somber, dire, and ghastly.

Great minds think alike!

Mine are:

Malignant, Skeletal, Death, wasted, malevolent and Stealthy

You guys know that creating checkers will be a long time

VERY long time

There are some VERY long marrow and shadow walker checkers!

user posted image x insert female undine here

insert male silver lunar herald here x user posted image

Edited by Elementzal

Oh yeah, caligenes are one of the rare few that have feathered wings. Of course they must breed with whites. And thus, here I go, searching for yet another white spriter's alt offspring..

I'd also like to try breeding them with golds? I feel like it would really accentuate the gold in the wings.

You know, I bet they'd look good with moonstones, too. Especially the males. Beautiful pale glowy dragon with beautiful dark shiny dragon. Yet another pair I'll have to try when mine grow up, haha.

I think they might look nice with brimstones. :D

There are some VERY long marrow and shadow walker checkers!

Once I'm unlocked, I'll be able to breed a fifth gen of my cavern lurker checker.

~

Here are some new things I tried based on thread comments.

user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

The other genders are at the end of my album.

charlottekay62, pinkgothic, and Deinosaur - glad I'm not the only one enjoying some of the "weird" lineages I tried! *hands pinkgothic some tissues*

ytak and Amberfly - I was going to mockup whites/moonies last night but decided not to for some reason. xP

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Ugh, I am so in love with this years Halloween dragon. I think it might just be Halloween dragons in general.

I am definitely liking the CalixGW and CalixEmber pairings. I might have to start a CalixGW line, it looks rather nice.

I totally just named one of mine Nightmare Stag. cool.gif

So far my names:

DEATH MOTH

Die Wilde Jagd

Mother of Death

Noonwraith

Witchman

Devil by the Well

But I also have Deathspawn and Hawkemoth. Not sure if I want to keep these two, though...

Also, I really am liking that Male Caligene x Swallowtail lineage!

Which, I bred my dragons so if you can see:

Female Swallowtail

edit:

Female Gaia Xeno

Male Chrono Xeno

Edited by kiyoura

Also, I really am liking that Male Caligene x Swallowtail lineage!

Which, I bred my dragons so if you can see:

Female Swallowtail

Yep, I like it in practice as well as theory!

~

Hm, pyrope, lumina, and heartseeker look nice, but the nicest out of Tehya's (aside from repeats) group is waterwalkers (nice contrast yet both colors are still muted) or maybe reds!

I like the whiptale idea. It gives me a reason to collect more, since I only have about 3 or 4 Whiptales total? tongue.gif Also, I'm still working with naming mine. I think I'll go with crow or raven style names.