TJ09

2015-10-31 - Happy Halloween

if these guys cause everything around them to waste away, then are they slowly killing their caretakers/masters?

Edited by blockEdragon

Wooooah, halloween dragons based on moths and skeletons?

They look really pretty, I'm surprised. I thought they'd be more skeleton but its more mothy and I wasn't expecting moth-likes from the codes or eggs or anything. But that's not a bad thing-actually quite the opposite, since I adore moths haha.

Wooooah, halloween dragons based on moths and skeletons?

They look really pretty, I'm surprised. I thought they'd be more skeleton but its more mothy and I wasn't expecting moth-likes from the codes or eggs or anything. But that's not a bad thing-actually quite the opposite, since I adore moths haha.

how are they like moths?

please tell me biggrin.gif

Edited by blockEdragon

I wasn't actually aware calligare was a word, I just modified it from caliginous (also of Latin origin and means essentially the same thing...)! xd.png

~~

So, "a while" ended being "in a few hours" but anyway...some short bits of info xd.png

The design is based on this species of death's head hawkmoth. :3

They do have four eyes. Caligenes don't like bright light (like sunlight or fire), so they're principally nocturnal. They don't come out during the day unless it's sufficiently dark (for example, heavy canopy that blocks out a lot of the sunlight).

They communicate largely with body language.

Females are a bit taller and a bit more stockily built.

Conscious. :3

I'll put more in their encyclopedia entry c:

@blockEdragon

how are they like moths?

please tell me biggrin.gif

Death's Head Hawkmoth

Even without the post explaining it that's something I picked up on because I am a huge moth fan, and could tell by the colours and wing design that its definitely inspired. Very nice honestly. Probably my favourite breed now. Acute attention to detail regarding the species its based on and I appreciate that.

why are so many of these gendering male? o.o

My four that've gendered so far are 2 of each, but I influenced mine... What are everyone else's doing gender-wise?

My four that've gendered so far are 2 of each, but I influenced mine... What are everyone else's doing gender-wise?

Mine are all gendered evenly so far due to influence. I do have two that were not influenced and have not gendered yet, so it's a waiting game at this point.

The one I didn't influence went male.

I bet it's just sample bias/coincidence/bad luck if anyone is noticing more males than females, though.

Now off to the Caligene lineage thread for me! =D

My hatchlings just gendered and, not influenced, I've got 3 female and 3 male.

Only two of mine have gendered, but all have been influenced. If all goes well I should have 6 pairs. *knocks on wood*

I think they're very interesting. I get the skeletal cervine vibe that's probably intentional, but also a bit of a demonic one. They're nothing like a traditional red demon, true, but I've seen plenty of skeletal/skull-headed demons in more creative depictions, and these really fit that bill. Overall a very nice dragon.

Edited by BlindWolf

Kinda curious as to how the spriter's alt will look like.

i tried pixlr out and they look kinda glowy in lime green if thats anything

Edited by blockEdragon

Thank-you TJ and dragon spriters and conceptors for another engaging Halloween dragon, and event.

The Caligene's inspiration moth is also known as the Bee Robber. It walks into a hive unchallenged by the bees, as it can make itself smell like a bee, and then sucks honey out of the honeycombs. It is thought to have not caused but has worsened the collapse of the honey bee colonies. The Caligene dragon is truly a death monger. Enjoy!!

Indeed, many thanks to TJ, Infinis, our lovely and charming Mods and and all of the people who helped out by Dropping some of their hard-won new Halloween eggs into the AP, something we should consider organizing for next year, as so many people are tied up and miss out on the single-day Release or want pairs/more pairs.

Indeed, many thanks to TJ, Infinis, our lovely and charming Mods and and all of the people who helped out by Dropping some of their hard-won new Halloween eggs into the AP, something we should consider organizing for next year, as so many people are tied up and miss out on the single-day Release or want pairs/more pairs.

Yes, next year we should definitely start a thread in Site Discussion on October 18th and get as many people as we can to drop 4-7 eggs into the AP. We'll have to be careful not to greatly increase the difficulty of catching them while they're dropping, though. Definitely don't want to hinder people's chances of getting them from the cave itself on Halloween if we can help it.

Yes, next year we should definitely start a thread in Site Discussion on October 18th and get as many people as we can to drop 4-7 eggs into the AP. We'll have to be careful not to greatly increase the difficulty of catching them while they're dropping, though. Definitely don't want to hinder people's chances of getting them from the cave itself on Halloween if we can help it.

I feel like that's an unavoidable issue if you're collecting them en masse, which is why I hold the view that organizing this sort of thing is pretty unfair to the people trying to get them from the cave.

They look so good with so many things in lineages. @_@ Too bad I'm especially lousy at following up on holiday lineages. D:

I feel like that's an unavoidable issue if you're collecting them en masse, which is why I hold the view that organizing this sort of thing is pretty unfair to the people trying to get them from the cave.

Perhaps, I'm not really experienced enough to know how well this can be balance for Halloween. Christmas and Valentine's Day would be less risky since they tend to just sit there on the 2nd and 3rd days anyway.

Edited by Tehya Faye