Gruff

Worst thing you received for Halloween?

Those nasty candies that look like salt water taffy from the outside, but aren't. Wrappers are solid black or solid orange. YUCK.

Edit:

These things:

user posted image

They're Mary Jane peanut butter kisses and have been the bane of Trick or Treat for decades. They cost like a dollar for a bag, and personally i'd lock my door and turn out the light if I were so poor or so cheap I couldn't give out something better. Ewwwwwww

Donut. A Donut. Typically people would enjoy that, but it was A) really disgusting, B ) I'm allergic to them, and C) It didn't even have a napkin, we were supposed to grab it with out bare hands, and who knows who has touched the thing, as it wasn't in a box.

That, or a back to school coupon. Because... October is totally the time to give those out.

Edited by EmmaD333

a piece of candy that tasted like sadness and looked like lemon drops (which i like)

I know emotions don't have taste but every time i sampled it i got inexplicably sad

and i kept forgetting they where sad flavored and thought they where lemon flavored (they where kinda a yellowish tan) and every time I ate it, I was sad for a few minutes.

i still wonder what the company put in the candy..

i think it was a poor flavoring made to resemble pineapple but they are rotting in the dump now so i will never know

Are you talking about Lemon Heads? That is a pretty much perfect summary of how I view those.

As for worst: Definitely the bible. You cant claim you dont celebrate halloween, if you spend every single year handing out the pamphlets and mini bibles!

Best: The neighborhood I went trick or treating in growing up handed out cans of soda, $1-5 dollars, king size candy bars. There were some houses only the adults got things at (a few of the neighbors would mix drinks for the parents, to "keep them warm"). About every 3rd house had a big bonfire on the driveway, some with smores.

Very specific best halloween: As kids, we learned early that being the first group to knock on young adults doors, catches them off guard, and guilt trips them into giving you something they normally wouldnt, before shutting their light off.

We got Klondike bars one year that way. We've gotten fresh from the store/freezer pies that way too..

Those of you that don't like Mary Janes (those black and orange wrapped candies) send them my way. They are my FAVORITE thing to find in my kids bags. I've only seen them for sale once ever. Before that, I just assumed there was some secret old people club that sold them.

Edited by Thuban

This didn't happen to me, but I had to share...

On Twitter I saw someone tweet ran out of candy, giving out potatoes.

She was holding up a shoprite bag filled with mini-potatoes.

This gets the award... I think.

LOL Thuban. Secret old peoples club indeed. biggrin.gif

You're like only the second person ever I've known who has liked those things and was under the age of seventy. I work around a bunch of elderly people and they just love 'em, along with horehound candies, teaberry gum, and creme drops. Ahhh, nostalgia! xd.png