Red2111

Pro-Registration or Anti-Registration

alright its time for a serious debate on a serious issue. its time for people to pick sides *nods*

user posted image

the important issue i'm talking about are the "Super Human Registration Act" (SHRA) which requires those with naturally occurring superhuman abilities, super abilities acquired through science or magic (including extraterrestrials and gods), and even non-super powered humans using exotic technology, such as Iron Man, to register as "living weapons of mass destruction." Enactment of the law on the federal level led to various revisions to state criminal codes in order to allow state and federal coordination in enforcing the law.

Via Nitro's act of blowing up a small town (to include an elementary school filled with kids) the SHRA is in congress right now, and has majority bipartisan support in both the House and the Senate with the Presidents promise to pass it as soon as it hits his desk.

So, where do you lot stand on this? Should we require Muties and those with Super Powers to register and allow SHIELD to oversee them? Or is this an invasion of these 'peoples' Civil Liberties and unconstitutional?

Edited by Red2111

No registration! Might as well tattoo numbers into their arms and pick out tents at the concentration camps while they're at it.

SHIELD has proved to be too fallible an organization.

Totally against registration!

That's judging the whole group of "muties" as possible criminals and goes against their individual rights. Yeah!

By the way: NO group of individuals should EVER be judged, only because they belong to a certain group.... dry.gif

Totally against registration!

That's judging the whole group of "muties" as possible criminals and goes against their individual rights. Yeah!

By the way: NO group of individuals should EVER be judged, only because they belong to a certain group.... dry.gif

BTW, while I'm quoting some of this from the quote above, its also a response to the entire thread.

Scientologists? Serial Killers? I mean... You might want to consider that statement. Generalizations generally don't always work. And this is a serious discussion? I mean, it seems a little bit way too comic-booky and one sided. You know, the "obvious right side" and the "obvious wrong side." But I don't see a lot of people wanting to stand up for their beliefs when it comes to living a less comfy life, doing prison time, or ... death? Or maybe they say they do.... until it comes time to actually go thru with that. It's one thing to say "I would die for xyz" when someone hasn't lived enough years to really have a concept of death kick in. It normally takes a good many decades for that to kick in.

And having been thru the really unfun consequences of sticking to my beliefs, I'm certainly a lot more willing to know and admit my cut off point or my selling point. We all have them.

And of course you are judged by the company you keep. Why are you keeping negative company? It's certainly not healthy for you. And unless you have really special skills with helping people get out of unhealthy circumstances, and that person really just wants to change, then "you" also has a problem. If its not the same as the company, then its something along the lines of martyr or liking to keep inferior company to keep oneself better than the rest. You are the sum of the 5 people closest to you. You should take time and decide and carefully pick those people so you can naturally grow in a way you want to be.

It's easy to wave flags in fantasy worlds. I'm actually more curious about the flags you wave in the real world that you are willing to stand for despite the consequence, for better or worse.

Also we have lists like these in the real world... the way we treat people when they get out of jail for any felony, no matter if no one was harmed. And different crimes get different punishments. And without pushing the rules of the forums too far, what about various "Offender Registries" that exist, and all the rights they are no longer "allowed" to have because they are now not entitled to human rights or normal people rights?

Edited by natayah

BTW, while I'm quoting some of this from the quote above, its also a response to the entire thread.

Scientologists? Serial Killers? I mean... You might want to consider that statement. Generalizations generally don't always work. And this is a serious discussion? I mean, it seems a little bit way too comic-booky and one sided. You know, the "obvious right side" and the "obvious wrong side." But I don't see a lot of people wanting to stand up for their beliefs when it comes to living a less comfy life, doing prison time, or ... death? Or maybe they say they do.... until it comes time to actually go thru with that. It's one thing to say "I would die for xyz" when someone hasn't lived enough years to really have a concept of death kick in. It normally takes a good many decades for that to kick in.

And having been thru the really unfun consequences of sticking to my beliefs, I'm certainly a lot more willing to know and admit my cut off point or my selling point. We all have them.

And of course you are judged by the company you keep. Why are you keeping negative company? It's certainly not healthy for you. And unless you have really special skills with helping people get out of unhealthy circumstances, and that person really just wants to change, then "you" also has a problem. If its not the same as the company, then its something along the lines of martyr or liking to keep inferior company to keep oneself better than the rest. You are the sum of the 5 people closest to you. You should take time and decide and carefully pick those people so you can naturally grow in a way you want to be.

It's easy to wave flags in fantasy worlds. I'm actually more curious about the flags you wave in the real world that you are willing to stand for despite the consequence, for better or worse.

Also we have lists like these in the real world... the way we treat people when they get out of jail for any felony, no matter if no one was harmed. And different crimes get different punishments. And without pushing the rules of the forums too far, what about various "Offender Registries" that exist, and all the rights they are no longer "allowed" to have because they are now not entitled to human rights or normal people rights?

Yes, it's comic book-y because it's based out of comics. Which is why it's about registration of super heroes. Marvel's Civil War arc to be specific.

Buuuuut. If this was a lead in to a debate, I'm not sure what side you are trying to debate from either? Are you saying that people who are born differently should have to put themselves on a public list- when they are currently and actively being discriminated against? In violent ways, which have high death counts, I might add. Xavier's School For Gifted Youngsters/Jean Grey Academy had been shot up and blown up a few times. Mutants get murdered in the street.

To put things in perspective- mutants are supposed to represent whatever group is current being repressed. It's a stand-in to present current social structures without having to get too political about it.

The discussion of this thread comes down to this: Do you believe that people who have powers should be put on a public registry? Note that most of these people gain powers through birth or an accident. Several of these people have others that wish them or their loved ones harm. The pro-regers will argue that these people are dangerous and need a government agency like SHIELD to keep them in line. Even if they have no criminal record. Because they might do something.

.... But back to your post.

As far generalizations go... While will agree that Scientology is pretty wackadoo and some of the people who believe in it are oddballs, I don't think everyone in the entire group deserved to be judged. Or compared to serial killers. If you make a point against generalization, it's usually best to avoid making one. It was pretty easy to see what Milkaq was trying to say. Don't judge people except on the merit of their actions- Serial Killers' actions are pretty easy to judge them by, yeah?

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make with the paragraph about negative company. I just don't understand how it fits into the topic at hand. Spider-man and Storm are pretty good company in my book. Would be so kind as to clarify for me? I enjoy in depth conversations and debates. I'd really like to see what your side to this is. smile.gif

Edited for typos.

Edited by ObnoxiousObscurity

This is something that can take a lot of thought to decide. ObnoxiousObscurity was bang on with their analysis of the situation.

In any case, since a lot of the mutants are hated and some of them have not acted out or hurt others... it could be in those respects like what would happen if transgenders were having to register and be known to everybody. The already-high death toll would go through the ROOF, and speaking as a transman, I would rather finish myself first in a mercy kill before throwing THAT tantalizing carrot in front of some sadistic transphobic killers. At least I'd be able to choose the time, place, and method and not get brutally beaten almost to death and raped beforehand.

Then again, there is a potential for a lot of damage and destruction especially with uncontrolled powers or powers that suddenly appear out of nowhere with no way to control it at first. I suppose that registration thing would be more acceptable if SHEILD would actually, like, do some training and still give the people a chance to have a normal life and not have to admit to their powered status if they didn't want to - once they learned the self-discipline and self-control to make sure they wouldn't do accidental harm when out in the public. Until they get that control, then to walk out in public and KNOW that your power can act out and harm people and property, would be enough to convict you of voluntary manslaughter as per the US judicial laws. To knowingly endanger the people around you just because you don't have that control, when it can result in serious death, is a very serious thing indeed.

I just wish they'd come up with a different way to approach it, and allow the mutants to have a "normal life" and blend with the others if they should choose to, and not be bothered at all, after they've gone through the proper training and getting self-control and discipline. Those that have killed should get the appropriate crimes of course, but if it was accidental due to power upsurge, then the sentence can be shorter and lighter compared to the purposeful usage or even just criminal neglect of going out again and again (while being warned away from that) while knowing that their power can surge out and hurt others. Repeat offenders of the intentionally doing it for harm, should be appropriately jailed and made to learn the seriousness of the punishment. (I'm looking at you Tony Stark. Playboy millionaire he may be, he still needs huge lessons on how to freakin' treat people right and not take that many lives or cause that much damage if at all possible. -SIGHS-)

That's my take on it at the very least. In the war between Xavier's and Magneto's paths towards mutant registration, I'd be on Professor X's side toward finding a way that mutants and normal could live together while not persecuting the mutants, or recklessly endangering the normals, at the same time. Difficult compromise to manage yes but still feasible to my mind, and something to work towards all the same. What about y'all?

Alright. My case is not going to go in-depth, but here's my stance:

I see two sides to the argument for registration. One, it exposes organisations such as the Red Room (and other superhumans using their abilities to harm) to the public, allowing the general public to be wary and possibly lead to organisation shutdowns. However, you've got to consider that these people will continue on their merry, destructive way whether registered or not.

Two, it forces people to be responsible for the consequences of their actions if they were foolish. Causing deaths of citizens while fighting someone else is still manslaughter, and in some situations should be treated as such.

On the other hand, a lot of the damage superhumans do (who fight to protect, anyway) causes damage but overall is good for the population - like prevention of the Chitauri killing everyone on Earth, but crumbling parts of New York to rubble in the process. Making these heroes would make them unnecessarily vilified and visible to enemies. EDIT: Humans, as you may recall, are not known for their compassion and understanding.

We must also consider superhumans who are vulnerable - children, people who do not wish to use their powers, people who live with dependents, people whose identities are secret for the protection of themselves and maybe others. Consider Hawkeye - he gets enough threats on a daily basis, and is the generous landlord of a block of apartments that houses many people who are vulnerable and would otherwise be destitute. Registering him would destroy his small safe-haven and how he is known to his "family" he has created.

/end rant.

Edited by azaria