Goko

Anyone else a graphics designer?

Just wondering, does anyone else enjoy graphics design (GFX)? I'm a pretty new graphics designer, I've been working for around 3-5 months now. I don't have a fully updated portfolio, but I'll be buying a portfolio later this week.

Here's my current showcase, it was last updated like 4 months ago. :C

http://gokoverm.deviantart.com/gallery/

Anyways, feel free to post down below asking questions regarding graphics design, and I'll be sure to help in anyway I can. smile.gif

I'm in architecture, but with the amount of time I spend working on panels and my portfolio, I might as well be a graphic designer. ("I just spent 6 hours looking at fonts, holy censorkip.gif!")

I'll have a proper website up in a few weeks, hopefully. Then I'll be able to showcase my real stuff! I also used to do minimalist wallpapers, but not as many as I used to.

Good work, guys smile.gif

I used to make signatures and avatars on Photobucket but I don't really have the time anymore or Photobucket lol

I don't do very much of it, and it's certainly not my desired career path, but I did help a very good friend of mine out by making a bunch of visual assets for her website.

I don't do very much of it, and it's certainly not my desired career path, but I did help a very good friend of mine out by making a bunch of visual assets for her website.

Yeah, me too. I'm looking forward to the music industry as my career. Specifically a r&b/rap artist. However, that's completely irrelevant to this subject. Anyways, do you have any showcases of your art?

user posted image

Though in all seriousness, I don't do graphic design. I'm a creature designer hoping to make it to movies or games (dreams are a wonderful thing). But that said, if my comic project ever actually happens, I'll really need to look into learning it. It seems interesting enough!

user posted image

Though in all seriousness, I don't do graphic design. I'm a creature designer hoping to make it to movies or games (dreams are a wonderful thing). But that said, if my comic project ever actually happens, I'll really need to look into learning it. It seems interesting enough!

If you plan on working on comics, graphic design tends to lean more towards commercial aspects of art. Advertising and logo design. I would suggest looking more into the field of illustration, layout design and character design. As well, Scott McCloud has some very good books on comics. Understanding Comics and Making Comics.

My experience with graphic design has been getting an associates degree in digital design and graphics. While in school, I fell in love with adobe illustrator and the pen tool and tend to lean on it the most. Making box flats is also incredibly fun, figuring out how to fold, cut and tape to make something 3 dimensional.

Edited by Daydreamer09

If you plan on working on comics, graphic design tends to lean more towards commercial aspects of art. Advertising and logo design. I would suggest looking more into the field of illustration, layout design and character design. As well, Scott McCloud has some very good books on comics. Understanding Comics and Making Comics.

My experience with graphic design has been getting an associates degree in digital design and graphics. While in school, I fell in love with adobe illustrator and the pen tool and tend to lean on it the most. Making box flats is also incredibly fun, figuring out how to fold, cut and tape to make something 3 dimensional.

And since I'll probably end up self-publishing, I might as well get a basic handle on those commercial aspects =D

I don't expect it to be successful in any way.

And you can be certain I've looked into the more important fields! Especially character and creature designing, since that's the focus I have right now. Got a couple of books detailing the other aspects too so I'll fumble my way there one way or another.

Box flats! Can you please share some of your work and/or tips and discoveries in designing them? I'm looking into prefabricated folding architecture and folding things really interest me. biggrin.gif

Box flats! Can you please share some of your work and/or tips and discoveries in designing them? I'm looking into prefabricated folding architecture and folding things really interest me. biggrin.gif

You might want to check out origami too then if you haven't already

I did some graphic design while in college and I bounced around with having that as my major, but I don't really enjoy it as much as illustration. That doesn't mean I don't have one of my assignments in a frame on the wall that my teacher gave a big fat A on.

user posted image

Only a graphic designer would get the joke, or at least someone who knows about graphic design.

Here's one from a group class project where we had to pitch a bathouse.

Bathouse box flat.

And this isn't technically a flat (misplaced the original file), but it shows what the front and back of a designed cd cover looked like after being folded from a single sheet of paper. I found this off pinterest, folded a scrap sheet of paper and went over the folds in pencil to figure out the flat design.

While I do enjoy flats and they are one of my favorite parts of graphic design, I wouldn't say I have a lot of experience in it (I only recall making 4, all for school). Pinterest is a great treasure trove to find inspiration and ideas for making unique packages. Books are also great resources and you can alter the example flats inside to suit your needs. smile.gif

If you're designing flats for a client's product, do research on what labels normally come on that product's packaging. A barcode is pretty standard, but there's also recycling labels and warning labels. If you take those labels into consideration, it helps you design around them and also prevent this from happening.

user posted image

Poor Mike.

Edited by Daydreamer09

I've been a graphic designer for 10 years and work for a newspaper company. As much as I love it the newspaper industry is taking a knock and who knows for how long I might still have a job.

I would love to go study animation but financially I can't.

Not, like, professionally. I was the PR person for my university's choir, and did poster design, and in high school I did the programs and posters for our drama department.

Unfortunately I lost a lot of my stuff when my last laptop died, but it was mostly pretty simple stuff like this that I made for my fraternity.

Nowadays I sometimes do photo edits and gifs for my blog, but that's about the extent of my design ability.

It's a lot of fun, and I wish I had more time and opportunity to do it.

I've been a graphic designer for 10 years and work for a newspaper company. As much as I love it the newspaper industry is taking a knock and who knows for how long I might still have a job.

I would love to go study animation but financially I can't.

I'm currently attending an arts school for animation and it is EXPENSIVE. But... You don't have to do that to get into the industry.

There are a lot of programs that you can get for free and use online tutorials to learn. CGI has Blender, Sculptris and Autodesk Maya. For 2D, Adobe Flash (Soon to be Adobe Animation) is pretty common in the industry and you can get a free 30 day trial. (Toon Boom is a program you can use for 2D, but will cost you some. Same for a program for CGI called Zbrush.)

Mastering these programs can get you places in the animation industry.

Technique-wise there are 2 volumes of a book series, Drawn to Life by Walt Stanchfield which cover principles of animation that I'd recommend. These are universal in both 2D and CGI.

Edited by Daydreamer09

My dream is to be a graphics designer. I've been using PS for over 10 years, but my main focus has been creating forum signatures for anime forums. I haven't found a place to properly post them yet, but there's a few on Tumblr @ winchesterproductions c: It's the only thing I do that I'm actually proud of haha

I'm not exactly a graphics designer, but I can do nice, clean photo manips and (my specialty) business cards!