zaverxi

Holiday dragon names in Encyclopedia

If this is because they don't have their own descriptions, would this be more likely to be considered if they did? Many of the artists would be glad to compose them I'm sure.

Edited by Ashywolf

Never heard that.

I am so used to calling them Val '09 that they really don't need another name for me. The other Valentine dragons all have their unique names so there is no room for confusion.

But the Christmas dragons? Maybe in the beginning when there were only two or three of them that was okay, but now it is just too confusing to remember which year is which dragon! They need their "unofficial" names to become official.

I absolutely agree!

Like everyone else I know, I've always called the '09's Valentine dragons - since they were the first, that works; it's all of the others which need the common names attached for identification. The anonymous holiday spirit idea only worked for the first few years and is especially confusing for newer people - heck, people like me often take time even to remember the common-use names for new Holidays; having it in the Encyclopedia would be quite useful.

Bumping this because I still want it to happen!

I am all for making the "unofficial" name part of the official name, even if it is not included in the description of the dragon!

Holiday Dragon (2007) - Holly Dragon

Holiday Dragon (2007): Holly Dragon

Holly Dragon (Holiday 2007)

Any of those would be better than what we have now. These are the names they are actually known by and were given to them by the spriters who created them, so it is NOT just a fandom name. Please make them official!

This is somewhat related to my own suggestion about the other holidays, so I would voice my support for something like "Holiday 2007: Holly" (This forces breed sort to keep them together as well.)

Holiday Dragon (2007) - Holly Dragon

Holiday Dragon (2007): Holly Dragon

Holly Dragon (Holiday 2007)

Bolded is my preference

It makes absolutely NO SENSE to have one holiday type dragon with just dates, when all the others have names and descriptions. Even if we don't give the winter holiday dragons a description, they at least need names. The so-called 'unofficial' names are pretty much 'official' with the players anyway, so it only makes sense for the view pages and Encyclopedia to reflect that.

ETA: Heck, just look at my sig.. you don't see me asking for a Holiday 2007 do you? I'm specifically asking for a Holly trade.. and I'm quite sure EVERYONE knows what I'm asking for.

Edited by Cinnamin Draconna

I am in support of giving them official names, and descriptions would be nice.

I like this idea. I also like the idea of 'Holiday dragon 20XX (['Unofficial' name] Dragon). People were upset when the dragons got sorted by their name, and that would keep the Christmas dragons all together in name-sort, at least.

I had no idea the names were unofficial, since they're so commonly referred to by them. I'm pretty sure that's what they've been called in holiday events too.

I'm definitely in favor of making the names official, and I like the "name (year)" format that was suggested. Descriptions would be nice, but I don't mind that so much.

They're unofficial in the sense that they're not anywhere in the cave. All of the winter holiday dragons (except the Holly?*) are called the names that were given to them by their spriters

*Hollies might have their name from the habit of nicknaming dragons based on their egg descriptions, such as greens also being called pebbles. I don't remember if they were also named Holly by Silvanon, or if it's a case of the nickname sticking because there was no official adult name. But even if Holly is not an "official" unofficial name like the others, it is so universally used that it might as well be.

I guess the name format depends on if TJ wants to bring the other holidays back together in breed sort or not. If he is not inclined to reunite the valentines and the halloweens, it makes sense to simply rename the dragons (as the only holiday dragon other than the winter ones that have the year in the name is the "Valentine Dragon (2009)", because it has no breed name). If he does rename the other holiday dragons so they sort with their holiday, it makes sense to include the winter holidays' names after the holiday identifier.

No matter how it is handled, I absolutely support renaming the winter holiday dragons to include their names. People shouldn't have to refer to the wiki or ask questions on the forum to know what to call their winter holiday dragons.

the Aegis and Mistletoe dragons have both been called that by their spriters so I think those ought to count as official. I don't know about the others.

I personally like to have all of my Holiday, Halloween, and Valentine dragons sorted into the same area. It makes it easier to breed them once the holiday/event begins. Having event dragons sort by name and not simply Halloween 2015/ 2016 was one of the things I was disappointed with when the breed sort got changed. Although I agree that there should be a breed description for each of the holiday dragons, it would be nice if it were placed under the current breed description and if the dragons still sorted with the other Holiday dragons in order of release.

Bumping thie suggestion and i already posted my opinion but i will write it down on more time:

Since we all use the inoffical names for the Holiday dragons can we please have those names displayed as the official names? It is much easier to have the beautiful names then Holiday (Year of first release).

I am pretty sure this sentence is different then what i posted ages ago but that is my opinion.^^

Bumping this up from page 10 because I just spent about 20 minutes the other day trying to remember the name of last year's Christmas dragon (Garland). I had to go back to the original release thread and hunt for a post where someone called it by the "unofficial" name.

Can we please have the "unofficial" names become official?!?!?!? Everyone calls them that because it is generally harder to remember them by the year they were released. Please @TJ09 can we have this change?

As long as the Holiday dragons continue to be sorted together, I'm all for this. Some of the Holiday breeds already use their "unofficial" names in their descriptions anyway (ex. Garland). Even their creators call them by the unofficial names.

The biggest 'plus' in my mind for this suggestion is the fact that, in many cases, the spriters themselves have used these 'unofficial' names when talking about their creations. DC seems to bend to spriter's wants an awful lot in other areas (discontinued breeds, sprite replacements, different mechanics, etc etc) so I really see no reason why these 'unofficial' names shouldn't be official. 

I don't care too much about all of them sorting together. None of the other holiday dragons do. But it would be easy enough to get that to work by just designating them as "Holiday (2007) - Holly" or some such. I don't think the artists would care because in most cases it was they who gave us the official "unofficial" name anyway!

36 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Bumping this up from page 10 because I just spent about 20 minutes the other day trying to remember the name of last year's Christmas dragon (Garland). I had to go back to the original release thread and hunt for a post where someone called it by the "unofficial" name.

Can we please have the "unofficial" names become official?!?!?!? Everyone calls them that because it is generally harder to remember them by the year they were released. Please @TJ09 can we have this change?

You know, you could have had this easier. Just go to the which egg is which page on the dragon cave wiki, and scroll way down. There you'll find all the holiday eggs in order of release (for each kind of holiday) with egg description and inofficial breed name. XD 

24 minutes ago, olympe said:

You know, you could have had this easier. Just go to the which egg is which page on the dragon cave wiki, and scroll way down. There you'll find all the holiday eggs in order of release (for each kind of holiday) with egg description and inofficial breed name. XD 

I could, except half the time the wiki crashes my laptop before it loads that page. Also I shouldn't HAVE to go offsite to find it!

It does? Maybe you should use an adblocker... 

That’s besides the point though. There are a few external sources we can use to find the names, but why should we have to? All names should be visible on the site, particularly in an encyclopedia, especially if it’s in the dragon description, like the Garland!!

So yeah, I really support this. Honestly the fact that it hasn’t been implemented yet is a little infuriating lol

On 8/3/2018 at 10:35 PM, purplehaze said:

+1!

I actually just had the opposite issue with Garlands. I tried to add them to a group but searching "Garland" didn't bring up any dragons at all, and neither did "Christmas." I had to check on the dragon's page to even remember they're called "Holiday Dragons" (which I find extra confusing because Halloween and Valentine's day are called holiday breeds, too) and that they aren't referred to by their breed name.

While I find the wiki very helpful, I strongly agree that we should not have to go off site for basic info like a breed name.

7 hours ago, GhostMouse said:

(which I find extra confusing because Halloween and Valentine's day are called holiday breeds, too)

The site has always called them "event" dragons, of which there are three recurring events: Halloween, Holidays, and Valentine's. I recall someone years back claiming that they had been renamed from Christmas to Holiday dragons, but then I dug and found that that was not the case.

Fleshing out the Holiday breeds with real descriptions is something I'm specifically okay with, which is the exact reason Garlands are so described. However, until that happens for all breeds the encyclopedia will stay as-is.

On 8/3/2018 at 7:55 PM, HeatherMarie said:

The biggest 'plus' in my mind for this suggestion is the fact that, in many cases, the spriters themselves have used these 'unofficial' names when talking about their creations. DC seems to bend to spriter's wants an awful lot in other areas (discontinued breeds, sprite replacements, different mechanics, etc etc) so I really see no reason why these 'unofficial' names shouldn't be official. 

For the record, "holly" is not the "artist/concepter-given" nickname for the breed (hence: https://dragcave.net/view/8IlA), so any naming given to the holiday breeds is guaranteed to either ignore the community-given name or the "name-as-intended" for at least one breed.

8 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

The site has always called them "event" dragons, of which there are three recurring events: Halloween, Holidays, and Valentine's. I recall someone years back claiming that they had been renamed from Christmas to Holiday dragons, but then I dug and found that that was not the case.

Fleshing out the Holiday breeds with real descriptions is something I'm specifically okay with, which is the exact reason Garlands are so described. However, until that happens for all breeds the encyclopedia will stay as-is.

For the record, "holly" is not the "artist/concepter-given" nickname for the breed (hence: https://dragcave.net/view/8IlA), so any naming given to the holiday breeds is guaranteed to either ignore the community-given name or the "name-as-intended" for at least one breed.

Toes...? I don’t think that would be made an actual breed name? If it’s in reference to Mistletoe, since we have artist-named Mistletoe dragons already, couldn’t Hollies follow Birdz’ name suggestion (which would presumably follow the oft used Holly) instead of the inactive old artist’s, especially since Birdz would be the one writing their lore at this point?

Edit: and I’d really like it if holidays were actually named Holiday XXXX (name), like Holiday 2017 (Garland), so they’d all sort together.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy