lanette

Favorite Boardgames?

My friends and I sometimes get together and rent games to try out. My husband has bought a ton but our favorites are Avalon, Dixit, Splendor, Lords of Waterdeep, Temple of Elemental Evil, Pandemic: Reign of Cthulu and Dominion.

Some others worth mentioning are Munchkin, 7 Wonders, One Night Werewolf, Sushi Go, Takenoko.

Edited by Sylvan_Moon

Chess is my favorite forever ^^ I also like Monopoly and Jenga.

The Star of Africa has been my favourite board game since ever. smile.gif The map is so beautiful and the suspence and worry if you'll end up being ropped. user posted image

I also liked Pyramido (didn't find what it might be called in English). It was basicaly a memory game where you moved pyramids while looking for a specific relic. (

)

user posted image

Mouse trap was so fun. I remember just playing with the diver. I think the one at home has some parts missing :/

Edited by sroo

I played Clue, the Hasbro 2013 edition. biggrin.gif Scarlet is hot! And well, Mustard is a dashing young lad. That's the thing with me, I fall in love with fictional characters and game characters.

I wish I knew how to play chess because the concept of the game fascinates me. Sadly, no one I know can teach me because no one can play. sad.gif

I also like Monopoly - makes me feel like I actually have some money. laugh.gif

I play with my long-distance boyfriend using Tabletop Simulator (it's really nifty, everyone should check it out!). Thanks to the mods, pretty much every board game imaginable is available. We play a lot of Battleship and Monopoly, though. xd.png

Darkness Comes Rattling is my favourite board game. It's a co-operative game where you play as warriors with night and day forms, trying to save the sun that's been eaten by a snake.

I love board games and host a game night once a month. I have several favorite games, but I'll keep this list short. smile.gif

Hex Hex - This is a game in which people are using directions printed on cards to get out of being "hexed." It's actually the game of hot potato with cards, and it gets rowdy and hilarious. I've had several friends and family members immediately go out and buy this game when I've introduced it to them, they enjoyed it so much.

Dead of Winter - I normally hate cooperative games, probably because I grew up with tons of siblings and we loved the aspect of games that involved really screwing up each other's plans. In Dead of Winter, the players are working together, but they also have their own individual objectives, and one person could secretly be a traitor whose goal is to prevent everyone from winning! I've always had a blast with this game.

Lords of Waterdeep - I'm not sure what to say about this one. It's simply a fun game.

Caverna - This is probably my favorite game ever, but I have a hard time getting people to play with me because it's so large and has a ton of pieces, others look at it and get intimidated. It's actually very easy to understand once you start playing it, though.

Scrabble - I grew up playing this game with my family, and I'll always love it.

Codenames - This game is always a hit every time I bring it out. I don't think I own a game that is as universally loved as Codenames.

Edited by Goslander

I take a game called Bucket of Doom to my aspergers meetups and it's usually a pretty big hit with everyone! You have to escape different sitations by creating plans with items listed on cards. It's very goofy but also sometimes innapropriate.

On 10/20/2016 at 6:02 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

Quirkle, Scrabble, Go!, Sorry.

Why are you Sorry???  

Goes and hides under his chessboard

Played a lot of Life with the family, taught the kids Chess, but it didn't take with them.  And they refuse to play Scrabble or any other word games with me...  Because of my reading since a child, I have a large vocabulary.  sigh.  ;(

On 10/28/2016 at 5:19 PM, sroo said:

The Star of Africa has been my favourite board game since ever. smile.gif The map is so beautiful and the suspence and worry if you'll end up being ropped. user posted image

I also liked Pyramido (didn't find what it might be called in English). It was basicaly a memory game where you moved pyramids while looking for a specific relic. (

)

user posted image

Mouse trap was so fun. I remember just playing with the diver. I think the one at home has some parts missing :/

Possibly the game Concentration might be similar...

When I was little all I ever wanted to play was Candyland. I remember my parents getting really sick of playing all the time! :lol:

My favorite board game (or tabletop game?) now is this game Rummikub that's like the card game Rummy but it uses tiles instead of cards. 

For actual board games (with a 'board' of some type:

As a kid, the family would play all the classic board games. I liked Life and a varient of Monopoly with planets and moons for the properties, as well as a German game, mensch ärgere dich nicht - much like ludo or sorry.

With my sister and friends, our favorites used to have a board game called dungeon (board game based rpg where you explore rooms, fight monsters, and get treasure). I think it has recently been ressurrected, and it was revamped several times, but I have the early 80's version with the Keith Parkinson red dragon on the cover. We also loved HeroQuest and mousetrap. 

As an adult, my group of friends play Imperial assault - you have to build the interlocking 'board' as you go, but it does have a board element. We also have Nuclear War and it's various expansions, Pandemic and expansions, and Fluxx Board Game.

We find ourselves playing more boxed card games (as opposed to card games with traditional playing cards) than board games recently. If these count, our favorites are the kinds where the whole playing group uses the game set (not the kind of card games where everyone has to keep buying card packs). Fluxx (and it's themed varients tops my list - for the quick learn and quick play, DragonFire - my new favorite, Munchkin (again, multiple themes available), Dominion, Apples to Apples/Cards against Humanity (we sleeve the cards and mix them together for even more fun), and Ashes.

Edited by -FireClaw-
Corrections from trying to type on a tiny phone screen

This thread has been lying dormant for a while. While I still like Concept and Dominion, I hardly ever play them these days because there are so many cool new games out there.

My favourite, hands down, is Spirit Island - my brother and I have been playing it for years, sometimes in larger groups, too, and no game is ever the same. The expansions are neat, but I don't even need the scenarios and opponents (although my brother enjoys the challenge), as the basic game already offers so much.

I also like "Letter Jam" and "Adventure Club".

The reason I'm writing is that there is a new game coming out that should be right up our alley - "Wyrmspan". Think Wingspan, but with DRAGONS. I'm so excited, although it would probably have been cooler with DC art. B) I think I might need to buy that one.