TJ09

2015-10-07 - Sprite Update (round one)

Love the updates. The Holly looks much better now, imo, and I really love the change to the Nillia. I've never been a huge fan of Horses so I'm kind of 'eh' about their change, but I'm a gigantic fan of dimorphism so I can appreciate it for that if nothing else.

I personally wish all the sprites would have dimorphism; I find single-pose dragons to be, well... kind of boring, lol. But I can understand why people would prefer not all the dragons in the Cave to be dimorphic.

Looking forward to seeing the Silver changes!

I have a grown Silver on top of my scroll so I will see the silver update right away biggrin.gif

Bring it!

Ok I love the male horse, stunning sprite! Not sure how I feel about the Nilla though guess I am going to have to do some more breeding with it. tongue.gif And I will always love the Holly no matter what!

I personally wish all the sprites would have dimorphism; I find single-pose dragons to be, well... kind of boring, lol. But I can understand why people would prefer not all the dragons in the Cave to be dimorphic.

Looking forward to seeing the Silver changes!

Agreed. I would be so happy if all sprites had dimorphism, including the S2s.

And can't wait for the updated Silvers!!!

I really like all the new updates. Well done to all involved, I've done (a very little) artwork pixel by pixel so you have my deepest respect. I really love the new Nilias and now need more! The new Horse is quite fantasyamazing! He fits right in with the rest of dragon-world. Nice job all around. Thanks for all your work.

I do love dimorphism!

The wild new male Horse sprite looks a little busy at first glance, but I think he'll look really nice with the "Hellhorse" hybrid offspring. In fact, it seems like we get the best of both worlds: one Horse sprite that will still look nice with the sprites that are in an older, "flatter" style of artwork, and one that will look good with the more detailed and shaded newer sprites. I'm really impressed, overall -- I find horse anatomy to be very tricky to draw well, and that male horse is so lively and dynamic!

Holly -- cool! Its neck looks so much healthier! I do feel like the wings have lost a little of their deep, rich, velvety green somehow -- it just looks paler and less velvety to me, now. Not sure why that is, from a pixel standpoint. But I love that it just has a few minor tweaks to make it look anatomically healthier, while retaining most of the rich color palette as the original, and more or less the same pose. Too much change to the "Classic Holly" might bother a lot of collectors, but this seems to be a great middle ground. *pets darling Holly*

The Nilia...aaaaaaggh... the new poses are very dynamic and well-made. It's just that the old Nilia sprite was one of my FAVORITES, with its proud little chest puffed out, looking like it was bouncing happily along. I'm actually really sad to lose it; I would have been ever so much happier to only have one new sprite, and let one gender keep the old pose. It looks very nice in lineages, too, and I'm not sure how well the new poses will fill the lineage view. BUT -- that isn't meant as any offense to the new sprites themselves, which are lovely, and very well-designed. I just need to...sniffle...mourn the loss... and then go embrace the new babies!

ETA: Every time there are sprite changes, I feel like my main opinion boils down to -- new sprites? Great, I love pretty new artwork. But this is a collecting game and it seems unfair or not in keeping with the idea of a collecting game itself to alter dragons which people have already collected or bred. I feel like a lot of people's upset with changes to sprites in general happens because the sprites they loved and collected are simply pulled from their collection, which never happens with toys or trading cards or anything tangible you choose to collect in real life. I think it would be better as a general rule to make changes that affect dragons "from here on out," but not to change the dragons that people owned before the change. There was SUCH a huge drama over the change to the old Gold dragon, and I think if people had been allowed to keep their former sprites, even if they were no longer available, such as what happened with the Old Pinks, it would have really been for the best. Just my two cents.

Edited by Kelkelen

And I'm sorry, but "it doesn't match the artist's vision" really isn't, IMO, a good enough reason for a total sprite pose change on a sprite that is solid

If this was a true thing, I'd be more inclined to not actually do anything for DC, since there are times where I'll go with something that I don't necessarily like, but accept, because I cannot make something work. If that something was released before I could create something new that I could be extremely proud of, I'd want to be able to switch the images.

I especially like the new sprite for the male Nilia, not so sure about the female sprite. But I won't let it bother me to much. I would have prefered the female to get the male sprite and the male to keep the old sprite, but I think I'm alone on that idea. However the neck will give me loads of new naming ideas...

The male horse sprite looks really cool. Although I'm not really into horses, I have to say the new male sprite crawls higher into my favourites each time I see the sprite.

The new Holly sprite makes me want one even more now xd.png

The artists create sprites that they allow us to collect. They do not need to conform to our wishes. If they want to change the sprites THEY made, and TJ is ok with it, they should be allowed to do whatever they want.

If you hate the sprites that much, release the dragons on your scroll and never grab another again. Spriters do us all a HUGE favor by making sprites to begin with. Sure, there's some I don't like, and I don't really collect them. That's my deal, I'm not going to hate on people for making sprites I dislike, I just get a few to say I have them, and banish them to the depths of my scroll so I don't have to look at them all that much.

TJ and the spriters could shut down dragcave and have it open only for spriters if he wanted. He won't, but he could.

TJ and the spriters could shut down dragcave and have it open only for spriters if he wanted. He won't, but he could.

That would be like...zero fun though. What would be the point? I like making things for you!

That would be like...zero fun though. What would be the point? I like making things for you!

Me toooo. ;A; Making stuff for others is really fun.

Me toooo. ;A; Making stuff for others is really fun.

Hahaha I know you guys love seeing all your hard work going out and making lots of pretty babies. wink.gif I was just using that as an example.

This is a game, after all. If something doesn't make it fun for you, don't do that thing.

The artists create sprites that they allow us to collect. They do not need to conform to our wishes. If they want to change the sprites THEY made, and TJ is ok with it, they should be allowed to do whatever they want.

If you hate the sprites that much, release the dragons on your scroll and never grab another again. Spriters do us all a HUGE favor by making sprites to begin with. Sure, there's some I don't like, and I don't really collect them. That's my deal, I'm not going to hate on people for making sprites I dislike, I just get a few to say I have them, and banish them to the depths of my scroll so I don't have to look at them all that much.

I don't view what the artists do as a "favor": I view it as a gift they choose to share with everyone. A favor has the expectation that the one doing the "favor" expects something back from it. A gift is something someone does for the joy of sharing.

And I don't release dragons, even those I detest. But in this case! It won't be necessary. Thank you, Corteo, for listening to the users and adjusting the neck. I actually like the females now!

http://dragcave.net/lineage/aLjUl

Cheers!

C4.

The Holly dragon came out nice, I do wish the wings had stayed the darker green. As someone else mentioned the tilt of the head as if shy on the original was lost in the remake. But overall it came out well.

The nilia were quite a surprise. My first impression of the male was that's nice, the female however I just went "What the!!!" It was a shock to discover my cute little sparrow was really a heron. And it took a web search of crane bird pictures to figure it out.

I will say I am glad this was released before I went nuts on halloween to try getting dragons to build a mate for her. The change makes that lineage no longer look good to me and that one will remain mateless. You have saved my halloween egg slots and for that I thank you.

And... the pose is changed while I am writing this. Not so much a heron now. Think I am still going to pass on the pumpkin x female nilia line.

Not much to say on the horse dragon as I'm here for the dragons and don't collect horses.

Thank you Corteo for smoothing out the neck! The female looks so pretty right now. :3

Edited by Tehya Faye

I am definitely not liking the general attitude of changing sprites

even more so than just the particular ones done. The Nilla and

Pumpkin is a good example of what gets ruined. After so much

trouble trying to pair up breeds for lineages, then what is the

use. I am feeling the same "anti-lineage" bias as when the

format was changed ruining the first/second gens of lineages.

Why the need to change anything in the middle of the road?

If there is a copyright issue, that would be understandable.

But I haven't heard that being the situation.

I really want to be positive and happy for artists (if this is what

they really want), but it just seems another slap in the face to

the ordinary player collecting/lineaging/enjoying what was...

It depends on what you define as benefiting the community. I personally try breeding lineage projects with common dragons to generate interest in them from others. There's a lot of common dragons that get looked over I think and in making lineages, it creates a setting for those dragons to shine and catch people's attention. As well, lineage breeders who send very common offspring to the ap turn an egg that as a caveborn would have been overlooked, into a treasured prize.

In ways, I think lineage breeders do have a lot of positive influence on the community. Especially in terms of balancing out ratios and retaining community interest in the all the diverse dragon breeds.

While I collect sprites, and I'm not interested at all on lineages, I've no problem agreeing on the positive influence of lineage breeders. I just think that, whatever benefit they bring to the community (in particular to the forum community), it is in no way comparable to the benefit brought to the whole community by the artists.

Again, in my book, the wishes of the artists, with TJ's agreement, take priority. And, as Corteo demonstrated today, artists seem to be quite more flexible than lineage breeders.

Edit:

BTW there's a pretty good reason why I'm not (and many I know are not) interested on lineages. I'm not a veteran of DC, even if I've been around quite longer than my forum date shows. Let's assume I catch a cute lineage in the AP. What will I do with it? Nothing. I do not have what is needed to build with it, so it goes back to the AP. Bye bye. At the same time I'll be bouncing up and down with every new release. Artists are my heroes.

Edited by NotBambi

Thank you Corteo for smoothing out the neck! The female looks so pretty right now. :3

Yes indeed - that is SO much better biggrin.gif Thanks.

The Nilia female's arms are now obviously longer than her neck... her proportions look creepy, more Cavern Lurker, or actually, Slenderman like than pygmy like. Just imagine her stading... that tiny body on those overly long limbs... On the contrary, the male is nothing like that... they don't match.

While I appreciate very much that the female has a neck that fits the male's, it still bothers me a lot that her limbs are WAY TOO LONG and much longer than male's. If only that could be fixed too...

Edited by VixenDra

I really like the Holly update.

Neither here nor there on the pygmy as I'm just not a pygmy fan in general.

I think the male horse is going to have to grow on me - just seems a bit busy (but not BAD by any means).

My main issue is the male horse in lineage view - it's got too much white space to the right. If it was cropped so the right edge was closer to the head, I think it would look better.

In any case, I appreciate TJ and all the spriters' hard work. smile.gif

The Nilia female's arms are now obviously longer than her neck... her proportions look creepy, more Cavern Lurker, or actually, Slenderman like than pygmy like. Just imagine her stading... that tiny body on those overly long limbs... On the contrary, the male is nothing like that... they don't match.

While I appreciate very much that the female has a neck that fits the male's, it still bothers me a lot that her limbs are WAY TOO LONG and much longer than male's. If only that could be fixed too...

Perhaps male Nilias are "leg men"... wink.gif

New neck on the female is nice. Thanks Corteo smile.gif

I only just noticed the updated updated female Nilia sprite. Wow! Thank you so much, Corteo, what a kind and generous thing to do!

And I second the idea to get the old Nilia sprite as an alt. wink.gif