TJ09

2015-10-07 - Sprite Update (round one)

Oh I love the new male Horse sprite and the new Nilia sprites! Not sure how I feel about the changes to the Holly......I'll need a few days for that to sink in.

Love the Horses and the new Holly sprite. A little unsure about the Nilia, but my first dragon was a Nilia so maybe I'm just biased. Gonna miss those little paws.

It looks like they're trying to make the pygmy sprites bigger to better match the magelights? Not sure I like that, if they make pygmies bigger but keep the dragons the same size, what'll be the difference?

The holly update though... me likey. And the male horse! I might actually like horses now.

I feel always uncomfortable when the work of an artist or the artist himself/herself is attacked.  I highly respect some of the lineage-breeders I've been reading on this thread but, in my (unpopular) opinion, lineage work benefits only the breeders and the few (compared with the size of the community) they will share the lineage with, while the artist's work will benefit the whole community. So, in my mind, the artist's wishes to improve her/his creations take priority.

It depends on what you define as benefiting the community. I personally try breeding lineage projects with common dragons to generate interest in them from others. There's a lot of common dragons that get looked over I think and in making lineages, it creates a setting for those dragons to shine and catch people's attention. As well, lineage breeders who send very common offspring to the ap turn an egg that as a caveborn would have been overlooked, into a treasured prize.

In ways, I think lineage breeders do have a lot of positive influence on the community. Especially in terms of balancing out ratios and retaining community interest in the all the diverse dragon breeds.

I'm a little sad about the hollies sad.gif It's going to take some getting used to for me to get used to the new sprite. But I do love the new horse sprite biggrin.gif

In ways, I think lineage breeders do have a lot of positive influence on the community. Especially in terms of balancing out ratios and retaining community interest in the all the diverse dragon breeds.

This is very true. smile.gif You almost never see people bragging about messy or CB commons they found in the AP, but if you drop nice lineages in the AP, people post about them all the time in the Great AP Finds thread! Plus, I know that finding lineages (even the common outcome of a rare x common checker) often gets people to continue it, which means more of that checker floating around, more commons being bred, and all around more balance!

I feel always uncomfortable when the work of an artist or the artist himself/herself is attacked. I highly respect some of the lineage-breeders I've been reading on this thread but, in my (unpopular) opinion, lineage work benefits only the breeders and the few (compared with the size of the community) they will share the lineage with, while the artist's work will benefit the whole community. So, in my mind, the artist's wishes to improve her/his creations take priority.

Totally agree with this. Luckily in the real world we have editors between artists and viewers to take the fire. biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Oh wow....

Now I want to make a army of just male Horse Dragons, because they are freaking awesome.

Edited by Lady Dragoon

There's a lot of common dragons that get looked over I think and in making lineages, it creates a setting for those dragons to shine and catch people's attention. As well, lineage breeders who send very common offspring to the ap turn an egg that as a caveborn would have been overlooked, into a treasured prize.

My balloon lines were done for just that reason. Everyone wanted tins at the time, and balloons were despised by most. I figured if I could get my hands on a single second gen, people would develop interest just because it was something new and different, when compared to all the other lines at the time being requested.

It's a great update, but I don't like the Holly, the head seems a bit big, and the wing membrane looks like it connects to the back instead of the side.

And the topic a few pages back is why I no longer support updates. Too much, yo. >_>

Woo, so lovely! That goes for all the changes! 0u0

The Holly looks so much better in my eyes, you have no idea. As someone who's an (constantly learning) artist, some of the anatomy and shading bugged me for a long time and made me only want to collect Hollies for their rarity, rather than liking them for how they looked. But the fixes and tweaks, while still staying faithful to the pose and colors, look really nice. I can honestly say I like the Holly now.

I also ADORE the Nilias! I don't mind sprites that don't have dimorpism (I think it's a good move not to have it sometimes), honestly, but it's also great when they do. I really like the fact that the gals are bigger than the guys, and the poses are very interesting and more fun. This upped them up quite a bit and I can see myself grabbing/breeding more of these little cuties.

Finally, the new stallion sprite for the Horses looks amazing! Good call with keeping the sprite the same for the females; I always felt they were more "pretty" and would fit the females pretty well. I love the longer hoof-hair (Sorry, I forgot what that's called on actual horses ;-wink.gif, it's a REALLY cool touch.

TL;DR, I'm lovin' the changes a lot. I have high hopes that I'll be just as happy with the Silvers. Thanks DC Team!

Do we know why the old Nilia sprite still appears in the Encyclopedia? Is that intentional?

Do we know why the old Nilia sprite still appears in the Encyclopedia? Is that intentional?

it would be kinda cool if the old nilla was a alt

Oh, I didn't notice that o_o maybe tj hasn't gotten around to changing the encyclopedia entry yet?

@blockEdragon yeah! that's a cool idea xd.png

Edited by wtf

Oh, I didn't notice that o_o maybe tj hasn't gotten around to changing the encyclopedia entry yet?

@blockEdragon yeah! that's a cool idea xd.png

The Horse and the Holly entries have already been changed though, so I kinda hope that it will stay that way...

Love the alt idea as well! laugh.gif

I just don't think enough thought is put into how sprite updates are going to affect lineage views.

And I think studying how a new sprite would look in a checker with all the possible mates in the cave, including dimorphic sprites and all the breeds in the Completed list, is a task that would make even androids go on strike.

Should this be required, I can see the gifted-but-human spriters meet in a supersecret spritercave and state: «OK, folks: from now on, only unbreedables!».

Edited by Lizzyluna

And I think studying how a new sprite would look in a checker with all the possible mates in the cave, including dimorphic sprites and all the breeds in the Completed list, is a task that would make even androids go on strike.

Should this be required, I can see the gifted-but-human spriters meet in a supersecret spritercave and state: «OK, folks: from now on, only unbreedables!».

To be fair I think tjekan was more trying to imply that artists don't try to preserve look of the lineage tile that's already on site when hashing out updates, which for the most part is untrue. We do take lineage view into account, sometimes obsessively so, but the adherence to the lineage view I think should not be held in high enough esteem that an artist must sacrifice his or her vision for their own breed or a chance to drastically improve sprite quality.

YMMV on the outcome of course.

Just out of curiosity: Has there been a change in the rules for pygmy sprites? I wondered this before, when the magelights were released, as they look bigger than the other pygmies on site. Since all others looked more compact, I guess I always thought the size limits for the sprite were like that.

Just out of curiosity: Has there been a change in the rules for pygmy sprites? I wondered this before, when the magelights were released, as they look bigger than the other pygmies on site. Since all others looked more compact, I guess I always thought the size limits for the sprite were like that.

This is a very good question...I'd be interested to know the answer too.

To be fair I think tjekan was more trying to imply that artists don't try to preserve look of the lineage tile that's already on site when hashing out updates, which for the most part is untrue. We do take lineage view into account, sometimes obsessively so, but the adherence to the lineage view I think should not be held in high enough esteem that an artist must sacrifice his or her vision for their own breed or a chance to drastically improve sprite quality.

YMMV on the outcome of course.

I'm inclined to agree with Odeen on this,.

As sad as it is if people feel like their lineages are ruined, the truth is that like I said before, it isn't even as if all lineage breeders have the same ideals in mind, so HOW can you hope to please everyone? EVEN if you take the wishes of the majority into consideration ( WHICH I feel like the sprite artists DO try to do)

The case with Odeens own, babies, the Solstices, being a prime example!

The majority wanted the rosie wings to still be available, BUT, though that fix satisfied most, it didn't make everyone happy.