Predat0rs

Feature to change Forum Name or Scroll Name

I'm not sure about this idea Unless you have a valid excuse to change it, like crappy name, or your scroll gets viewbombed so often.

Set number should from once to 4 times, I mean honestly it would be helpful if there was a warning about viewbombing and not to have your scroll/forum name the same .

Sadly though scammers, and such could use the changes for more devious deeds and get away with it. Unless there's a way to keep the ID number and name separate

Your forum ID number has nothing to do with your username. As far as I know the number you get assigned is just a reference to when your account was created (my forum account is the 74,042th account created).

Our SCROLLS have numbers too - if our names were changed, they would be tied to those. AFAIK this would also apply to your forum name. I.e., to be clear - I am pretty sure your number would stay the same if you changed your name.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Yep, scrolls have numbers too. smile.gif Though getting somebody else's scroll number to verify somebody is who they say they are would be rather difficult. Here on the forum at least it's readily available. Can you view unhidden scrolls by their number?

Yep, scrolls have numbers too. smile.gif Though getting somebody else's scroll number to verify somebody is who they say they are would be rather difficult. Here on the forum at least it's readily available. Can you view unhidden scrolls by their number?

Yes (I just tested mine !)

But I don't know how you find what number someone else's scroll is.

Definitely support this. My current username and scroll name, for that matter, cause me some discomfort when it comes to my gender. And people calling me "Eclipseheart" just really grates me ^^;

I'd be even more inclined to support it if (not if since this is what will happen most likely, since we're not changing accounts) our numbers linked to our forum account stays the same and we have to go through a mod for approval. (However I would want my Korean name, I'm jealous of those who write their forum names in Characters)

EDIT: Dumb question but how do you find your scroll numbers and view them by said number?

Edited by Eclipseheart

I think you can view your scroll number via cookies, though I don't know which cookie it is specifically. i? For my cookies the i cookie has 741006 in its Content section, which seems like the only thing that could be my scroll number.

Edit: As a test I stuck that number onto the end of my scroll url in the place of my username, which worked! So I guess that's how you do it. smile.gif

I think you can view your scroll number via cookies, though I don't know which cookie it is specifically. i? For my cookies the i cookie has 741006 in its Content section, which seems like the only thing that could be my scroll number.

Edit: As a test I stuck that number onto the end of my scroll url in the place of my username, which worked! So I guess that's how you do it. smile.gif

It is indeed in your cookies. dragcave.net and it's in the one called i.

I, too, have a username and a scroll name created back when I was a dork in high school that makes me want to facepalm and then smack my younger self for being obsessed with a videogame. I wouldn't mind altering either one. I'm almost embarrassed to show my scroll to friends I've made now. I'd probably just turn my name into "Shad" or something similar, for the sake of consistency. I don't think I'm that well known on DC, but I have been here a long time and people have probably seen me around here and there...

Another site I joined recently doesn't have...usernames that you can change, but it does have elemental alliances. (Flight Rising, if anyone is curious.) The way they're set up is everyone gets one free element change (since a lot of older players on that site joined before much canon lore about the elements was known, so they may not have been aware of what they were getting into) and after that free change, they must pay a fee of real-life money to change again. And they must wait 6 months between element changes on top of said fee.

Perhaps DC could do something similar with forum and scroll name changes. You get one free change and a very long cool-down period, then if you want to change again you need to pay a small fee to the site. Paying would, of course, not remove the cool-down.

Having one free change would also be helpful for anyone who may not have a means to pay a fee due to things like no method for online payment or not having much spare cash. (example: Some young kid joined with parental supervision and picked a silly little kid name, then a few years later like at the beginning of high school they find the name embarrassing. Most 14-15 year olds don't have a credit card or a lot of their own money (at least not where I come from) so a single free name change would be a saving grace for this hypothetical teen.)

I do agree that on the forum at least, there could be a feature on the user profile saying "formerly known as *previous username*" that would always be visible to mods and admins, but you could choose if it's visible or not to other ordinary users much like your gender can be set as male, female, or not telling.

Scrolls would be trickier....but I've noticed some people freeze hatchlings and sort them to the top of their scroll (or even use adult dragons) and turn their name into a brief message for people looking at their scroll. (The specific example I'm thinking of is someone who had "*other username* on the forums" to indicate they had a different username on the DC forums.) While I'm not sure about an official notice for scroll name change, people could take a dragon and name it "Formerly *previous username*" or something similar if they wish to let people know. An unofficial way to identify people, but better than nothing.

Yep, scrolls have numbers too. smile.gif Though getting somebody else's scroll number to verify somebody is who they say they are would be rather difficult.

This reminds me, scroll ID should be highly visible if username change becomes a thing.

((I have read only the first page of this.))

I support this feature, but with some hesitations. Another site I'm RP Mod on allows name-changing. I have never done so, but my best friend keeps changing her name to annoy me. Therefore, I'd suggest this:

- Name changes must have an interval of at least two months.

- Old names are visible, and when searched, anyone with a matching past name will also appear.

(e.g. if I changed my name to 'superdragon' because reasons, and someone wanted to find me by Zeditha, if they member-searched for Zeditha, I would come up. It should state that it was a past name.)

- Old names are blocked from use for three months - one month past the name-change limit - for everyone except the person who claimed the name. That way, if you change your name and then decide you don't like it, you can change back. Just wait out the two months. However, it isn't blocked forever.

- Old names should be displayed in the member's profile.

I would like this feature to be available for scrolls, too! It probably wouldn't need as many limits, as scrolls aren't often interacting, so impersonation and memorability are far less important.

I would pay to be able to change my scroll name to match my forum name. You could always have a little pop up box with a list of previous scroll names that showed when you hovered over the scroll name. That way you would have full disclosure and not have to worry about name changes for nefarious means 😈.

No support unless there's some conditions ( I'd personally keep both my scroll and forum names, well maybe change my scroll from wolverine to bloodfang

If there was a way to have if forum name change with a formally [ insert old name here] kinda deal. the below are a few reasons.

Scammers ( they could just name change and begin again on ripping off people) same with the scroll name.

Overall trollers,

Change limit. You can only change it like once a week or so

I don't think people should pay unless they want to change it before the week is up

I wouldn't like it to be a pay for thing. I would suspect that younger members are the most likely to mess up, and most of them have little cash and possibly the greatest need of a change. Even if that's not the case, it would be nasty if broke members with dire names couldn't change their names because they hadn't the money.

Re: the "pay for" thing, I've stated this once and I'm stating this again: Most of the forums I have participated in has a change limit of 6 or 12 months (never in between). Never had trouble with people trolling and impersonating other people, even in more popular forums.

Re: the "pay for" thing, I've stated this once and I'm stating this again: Most of the forums I have participated in has a change limit of 6 or 12 months (never in between). Never had trouble with people trolling and impersonating other people, even in more popular forums.

Sorry, but on a forum I frequent I have seen exactly that. Not often - but enough.

I would literally pay for this feature. I got this username when I was about ten, and I'd love to change it. I agree there should be certain restrictions on name changing, like a time cooldown similar to Flight Rising. I've never seen a serious case of impersonation there.

Edited by cheese456

All you would need is a simple way to check past user names, like the mouse-over box idea. That would keep everything transparent.

I like the idea of there being a restriction on how often you can change your name. That would lessen the annoyance of serial name changers.

And yes it would be nice if it was free, free is always good. But I would pay. I want it that much.

Even with my forum name being a teeny bit of a typo, I still probably wouldn't pay for the feature - if it were free, then yes, I'd most likely use it just to fix the typo, otherwise I'm inclined to keep my forum name as it to avoid confusion.

Edited by stagazer_7

I personally think it's a great idea! I am ok with my forum/scroll name, but I can totally see how some people would want to change them and I honestly don't see anything wrong with it... As far as scamming goes - why is this such a big concern? Wouldn't someone just be able to create a new account for this? A cool down is a good idea though. Alternative - let us submit requests for a name change and then have mods approve or reject them. I don't suppose that there will be that many people who would want to do it(maybe only at first), so it shouldn't add that much to the mods' workload in my opinion and this way there will be less concern about scamming, as they are most likely to be familiar with the other mods' and most active players' nicknames, so the people "worth impersonating" for scam purposes would be safe

I personally wouldn't change mine even though I've probably out grown the need to have 'Prince" at the front, and technically the spelling is 'Xanthias', because it is me, pretty much everywhere, and has been for 7 or 8 years now.

I think the ability to change is a good idea, but I do think it should be very limited, and ideally has to be mod-checked. I think most people tend to like keeping their names the same (and more than one person on the thread has admitted like me to pretty much having an internet wide moniker), so other than an initial rush when first introduced, I don't think there would be a particularly big problem with back log.

I do think that it is important to have some way to find the old username history, not just rely the number (because at the end of the day, who recognises the ID number of even the really well known players?), and this history should be PERMANENTLY visible - it doesn't disappear after a year or 2 of being changed.

I hate it when people change names and pics and sigs and I can't tell who they are, but I haven't seen any reason I agree that name changes should be mod approved.

I'm good with just a total number of changes limit, if possible. I wonder if we need to upgrade the forum for this ability, though?

I'm satisfied with my forum name, but I really wish I could change my scroll name. I'd be ok with matching my forum name even, but I came up with my scroll name when I was cross stitching a cat and it's just kind of silly without that context.

In short, I support this idea, and I'd love to be able to change my scroll name. I might change my user name slightly, since I'm some variation of 'Silver Tiger' in most of my other online games, but mostly I just want to change my scroll name.

Edited by silver_chan