zaverxi

Other sprite updates

I love art updates but I hope we don't add dimorphism to every sprite. I like my single sprite breeds. We need a single sprite break once in a while. <3

~

I agree that it doesn't seem prize dimorhpism is very likely considering their nature.

~

Sprites that could use a little updating IMO: red, vine, guardian, mint, dorsal, seasonals, and turps. There are some others that could use some technical updating but I either don't mind how they look now/think they're still up to snuff (or am not sure an update would work due to the nature of the sprites ie balloons) or for personal reasons I just don't care for the sprites at all and so it doesn't matter one way or another to me if they get updated. xP

I think spitfires are fine as is, but I also think updated sprites could be awwwesome.

Anything I listed I don't think looks bad at all. They're just a bit flat (or the anatomy is a bit wonky) thanks to the level our spriters have risen to. =)

Out of both prizes, just since they've been mentioned in this thread, I'd prefer the shimmers got updated over the tinsels.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

As I mentioned in the news thread, I think stones definitely need an update for all the reasons I listed there:

The pose is too dynamic for a dragon that spends all or most of its time staying still.

The sprite itself is smaller than a good number of newer sprites despite being the largest species.

The texturing interferes too much with the shading. (I'm not sure where the light source is?)

The sprite looks too flat and 2D, much like the old golds did.

Solutions:

Give it a more 'restful' pose.

Let the respriter use a 130 x 130 template to keep it 'larger' than everyone else and keep the normal sprite size limit at 120 x 120 to keep everyone else smaller

Shade first, then texture within those limits.

Giving it shading should make it more 3D and less flat.

I love art updates but I hope we don't add dimorphism to every sprite. I like my single sprite breeds. We need a single sprite break once in a while. <3

THIS. Just because some dragons have (beautiful) dimorphism doesn't mean it's needed or wanted for every single breed. PLEASE not every single breed.

I'm the one always wibbly-wobbly about sprite changes (I'm freaking about the Silvers), but I do get that some dragons "need" it. The Reds, I love them to pieces and I very very very much want their pose and overall likeness to remain the same, but I do see shading problems and I wouldn't hate a *slight* change.

The Shallow Water adult, I wouldn't mind if it was spruced up a bit. I can't pinpoint why, but it just looks a little awkward to me.

No one better touch my Royal Blues. I would seriously cry forever, omg.

NOT the reds. ICONS. FAB BIG SCARY ONES !

Even if the update mostly just planted all four feet on the ground? I'd really like my big scary rawr reds to stand on all four feet.

I'd also kind of like to see dimorphism added for reds, maybe for a couple other of the oldest breeds. We don't need it for everything.

And no to adding dimorphism to existing prize breeds. Maybe some day in the future if we get a third prize and TJ is really generous about passing them out. Maybe not then either though. Because of their rarity as CB.

There are a lot of older sprites that could use minor retouching just to update/improve their look: whites, vines, balloons, guardians, reds, royal blues, seasonals, stones, and whiptails, to name the most obvious examples. The only one I think really needs a complete overhaul is the cheese. It's kind of cute and wonky, but is starting to look really out of place against the others.

I completely agree, particularly with:

Whites (one of my favorites)

Balloons (I .... really dislike these)

Vines

Guardians (Another I really dislike)

Seasonals (they look kind of plasticky)

Whiptails (flat..)

and Dorsals, poor things.