zaverxi

Other sprite updates

So according to the news thread, it said Nilia pygmy dimorphism and new horse males, and the more controversial holly and silver revamps, but it also says 'but not limited to'.

So basically, I'd like to start up a discussion about any other potential sprite updates there could be. There's tons of dragon sprites, most of them the original ones but some newer ones, that are in need of some tweaking/revamps, and a TON of breeds that have no dimorphism.

And I'll start off the discussion by tossing a cat among the pigeons. wink.gif

What if prize dimorphism

I don't mind some sprites having no dimorphism (because that means you don't have to factor that in when planning lineages) and I'm also fine with some sprites looking a little different from the current prevailing "realistic" art style, buuuut...

...if I had to choose some sprites to get updates, I'd take the Reds. Sorry in advance if you like that sprite, but I personally find it's way too 2D compared to the other sprites. It just looks... kind of flat to me and you can't really make out all the details because wings, neck and body blend together.

Other than that, I hope there won't be too many updates, actually, apart from fixing obvious anatomy errors or things like that.

I'd like an update of some of the olldderrr dragons. White dimorphism!

An updated spitfire sprite would be nice. And an updated Albino! And a whiptail, deep sea, pebble, SUNRISE/SUNSET (PLS), AND DORSELS PLSSS.

I think that honestly the sunrise/sunsets and dorsels need sprite updates the most!

Edit: just realized I only have ONE female horse dragon... looks like I need to collect more in order for my scroll to look pretty Dx

Edited by Lady Artemis

What I'd like to see is some of the hatchlings updated, especially since we can freeze S1 & S2 versions. Many of the hatchies are recolors - (like the Hollies, Reds & Vines), and when I look at the S1s they all make me think of ferrets.

(Don't mess with my adult Reds! >.< I love how they look. They look like DRAGONS! If you want to mess with a heraldic dragon, mess with the Black Teas instead...) (I know the Red update is inevitable, but don't rush things!)

I would love to see the seasonals with new sprites biggrin.gif I really like them, but alongside other sprites, they could look so much better. Really excited for the Nilia dimorphism though smile.gif

i really hope the reds get one.....their sprites are really outdated and need a complete overhaul

Edited by blockEdragon

I would love to see the seasonals with new sprites biggrin.gif I really like them, but alongside other sprites, they could look so much better.

I'd be okay with a shading/detail tweak on the Seasonals so they look less cartoony. I would not like the colors or the basic poses to change, because I've very fond of Autumns.

What could use updating (like with Seasonals, I think major changes wouldn't be worth the uproar, but better shading/detailing would be nice)

Sunrise/sunset

Dorsal (yikes)

Green/Earth

Guardian

Albino

Purple

White

Red

Skywing

Deep Sea

normal Blacks

I don't any of these but the Deep Seas for lineages, but a sprite upgrade could very possibly change that.

There are a lot of older sprites that could use minor retouching just to update/improve their look: whites, vines, balloons, guardians, reds, royal blues, seasonals, stones, and whiptails, to name the most obvious examples. The only one I think really needs a complete overhaul is the cheese. It's kind of cute and wonky, but is starting to look really out of place against the others.

Dorsals are at the top of my list. Really cool concept but the sprites look flat to me. Updated and dimorphic vines (the normal ones, not the alts) have been discussed by the spriter and I'd love to see that too, even though I quite like the current sprites. I really think a lot of the older breeds would benefit from updates. Canopies, waverunners, geodes, greens, guardians, reds, seasonals, skywings, stones, and splits I think could all benefit from either a redone sprite or just some redone shading. I say this as a very big fan of some of these breeds. I don't really think every dragon needs to be dimorphic, especially prizes and rares (excluding the ones that already are, of course), though I certainly won't complain if more dragons receive dimorphism in this update or future ones.

I'm unsure why the sunrises/sunsets would need any tweaks, since they've already had their updates and I love their new neon/glowing looks and poses. I've always been a fan of their color palettes and wish I had more.

Otherwise there aren't any that I specifically want to pick on, but I'm sure I'd love the changes on any of them. Then again, after armying skywings for so long, I can't help but want to see something really lovely for them. Not dimorphism though, I love having an entire page of my scroll with just a single sprite on it. xd.png

For me definitely the Reds need an update, not so much on the pose as on the shading. The newer sprites are all sleek and detailed, while the shading on the Reds looks really harsh and very unsophisticated.

I'm actually also not too fond of the Stone sprite shading-wise, but it's less annoying there since stones tend to be harsh.

Actually, looking at Vampires, their anatomy seems really off. A new sprite for those wouldn't hurt!

Obviously the paper sprite is a bit off too, but then again, it's not a real dragon.

Albinos have an odd neck bump it seems, and the tail looks off, so some adaptations there wouldn't hurt either!

That"s about it I think haha.

Reds remind me of machines with both their bulk and grey underside.

At least 2 dragons need chiropractors: Albino and Greenwing xd.png

Sunrise/Sunset dragons realy deserve an update. Especially Sunrise ones. Their colors are great, but they look kinda grainy and low-res in comparison with other sprites. Maybe a reshading would help.

Same thing with Albino. And maybe Whites.

Edited by Gealach

Their colors are great, but they look kinda grainy and low-res in comparison with other sprites. Maybe a reshading would help.

Same thing with Albino. And maybe Whites.

This is a good way of putting it. The Sunrises really do look grainy in their shading. And the pixels outlining the Albinos are rather obvious compared to most other sprites. The Blacks are also very pixel-y IMO.

You can see the pixels on those? blink.gif I wonder what kind of screen resolution you're using!

Personally, I like the Blacks and the Whites as they are.

You can see the pixels on those? blink.gif I wonder what kind of screen resolution you're using!

Personally, I like the Blacks and the Whites as they are.

For awhile, I couldn't see any detail at all on the alt Black dragons. I had no clue they had brown bellies. Unfortunately, with higher resolution comes more pixellation. Pixellated wings & butts, everywhere!

1024x960 on a 19" monitor.

Sunrises and Albinos do look pixelated on my screen.

I love the greens, but the underside of their wings could really do with a shading update. That's the main reason I don't collect them, actually.

user posted image

Edited by Niyaka