TJ09

2015-09-27 - Encyclopedia Update (and more)

*jeopardy music plays while we wait for the sprite updates*

I'm so impatient, seriously I think this is bad for my health xd.png

Anyone else excited out of their mind for the Nilia and Horse dimorphisms?

YES, MUCH YES for dimorphism! I am not a fan of Horse, got it to make my own hell-horses, but a male dimorphism might change my mind =D And really excited for the Nilia, as nearly every other pygmy has dimorphism, and I love collecting the different dimorphisms~

And excited for the silvers, I do want to see some more detail, anatomy fixes, hopefully same colors but SHINIER, I mean "egg gives off a beautiful glow" "It gives off a glow that lights up the cave. Look, it's grown frills, and the glow around it has become even brighter." "They possess an almost magical aura that lights up any place they are in" I want to see their glow, their radiance, their aura. Let them finally FIT their descriptions that have captivated me for so long.

And I had seen dragoncave first when the fog issues had happened (didn't join at that point because I heard the rumors of the copyright issues), and joined not long afterwards when they did the sprite overhauls, with the original few dragons. I watched the Splits first come out, the Seasonals come out, the Horse come out, it was so cool. I watched the Gold sprite update. I hiatus'd for a while, forgot my old login, and made a new account just recently, but I still remember those days. So I guess I am kinda an old-y, kinda xd.png but updates make me happy =3 only thing I miss about the old golds was the GLOW. I wish there was another gold update that kept the updated poses and anatomy but brought the beautiful glow back~ And of course give silvers a glow~

I don't think Valentine dragons should look fierce? Valentine's day is all about love and happiness and chocolate and hugging and stuff. Having a scary or fierce valentine wouldn't fit very well, so having a 'softer' look is an improvement. The only thing I miss is, like everyone else, the little swirly pink magic thing.

Now if there was a 'broken hearts' valentine that'd be great!

-shrug-

I think all dragons except the pygmies should look fierce, but that's just me. I don't have many V-Day dragons for a reason ;P

-shrug-

I think all dragons except the pygmies should look fierce, but that's just me. I don't have many V-Day dragons for a reason ;P

Fierce? I'm thinking... Pillows...Balloons...Pinks... could go on and on smile.gif

-shrug-

Why not the pygmies? They may be small but they're still predators.

Fierce? I'm thinking... Pillows...Balloons...Pinks... could go on and on smile.gif

I don't have many of those either, except Pinks because of their BSA.

I'm just saying, to me, I always prefer fierce sprites [this is of course, personal, but I was highlighting why for me the softer look was something I agreed to with the other poster as being a huge change from what the other sprite was].

Because to me, anything small is adorable. You could put a tiny chupacabra or cthulu in front of me, and I'd think they were cute, just because of their size (I like chibis, lol).

Edited by Wahya

I'm probably in the minority here but I'd personally be okay with a complete overhaul for the silvers, like what happened to the golds. The spriters here are amazing and I want to see what they can do! Impress me! As long as they are still eastern-style dragons and the colors stay in the same range I will be happy. Browsing the old update thread linked elsewhere in this discussion, I absolutely LOVE the overhaul sprites that LadyLyzar did and would be delighted to get those as replacements. I think a complete overhaul is unlikely given user sentiment about sprite changes in general, but I'd still be interested to see it.

Well, NO. You cannot define "better" for all of us. Better is in the eye of the beholder. An improvement for one person can be something that is anathema to another.

I am told smart phones are "better" than what I have. But no, for me they aren't. All I want is a phone I can use to SMS. That is ALL I want in a cell phone. A smart phone would SERIOUSLY annoy me. I have borrowed a phone that did a bit more than mine does, and I hated it.

No one player here can define what is "better" for any other player. Sorry, but there it is.

Cutting off that quote there defeats the point of that paragraph. Sure we can debate on what is "better" in any topic, but there is a level of generally accepted "good style" and "bad style", whether we like it or not... This generally accepted standard is an average of how we as an artist society have set it, and I consider it as unbiased as you can get in this topic.

For instance a sprite with pillow shading and messy outlines is generally a "badly done sprite". Sure, people can like it and appreciate it to varying individual degrees, but from the technique perspective it doesn't work. There are plenty of "badly done" sprites I like, but for reasons other than the skill involved.

What you do note though, which is the prime topic here, is that anything can be good or bad depending on what values you chose to follow...that's my point about DC having priority on the technique rather than character of the sprites, so even if the new sprites look stupid to some people they have better shading or sprite skill involved. Based on the idea that DC tends to follow that point, the sprites have been better. I'm not trying to define "better" for all of us, I'm defining it according to how DC as a site seems to roll with these topics.

Anyway, I've tried to mitigate this as much as I can, let's just wait for the sprites to come out...

Edited by Ashywolf

I don't have many of those either, except Pinks because of their BSA.

I'm just saying, to me, I always prefer fierce sprites [this is of course, personal, but I was highlighting why for me the softer look was something I agreed to with the other poster as being a huge change from what the other sprite was].

I understand.

Personally the two Valentine 09 sprites make me think of a quite young stray cat that I started feeding when she had (initially unknown to me) had a bunch of kittens and looked like the older sprite. She decided to became my cat (or probably decided that I was to become her human) and after few months looked like the newer sprite tongue.gif 4 pounds more instead of 40 but still...

Edited by NotBambi

The Valentine 09's however.. this is where I can understand some people;

user posted image -> user posted image

I fell like the update of the Val 09's was not nearly as needed, and it does not feel like an improvement. Little was gained, and if anything, the dragon lost detail and much of its personality.

For some reason I never see anyone really talk about the Val 09's change, but I figured I'd bring it up- I doubt these new planned sprites for the Silvers will be a downgrade like this, but I can understand why some people may be anxious.

I like the smoother look of the new Valentine, but I miss her little pink swirl and wings that weren't connected so much to her body. And yeah, she really packed on the pounds, but we can expect that she'd get a little chubby after snacking on all those delicious Valentine candies. laugh.gif

So you see, not all of us are "OMG I HAET IT!!!1" when we see new sprites, but we all have our favorites and thus any changes to them make us anxious and unhappy.

It's the 'newer' users that want the updates.

Been here since Nov 09 and I like sprite updates.

For instance: I really disliked the old golds, so I was positively thrilled when they were replaced. The only reason I had any before the change was due to the rarity.

Thus, I am very curious on what the updated Silvers will look like *crossing fingers that her version of the updates was chosen...but kind of doubts it xd.png*

I'm probably in the minority here but I'd personally be okay with a complete overhaul for the silvers, like what happened to the golds. The spriters here are amazing and I want to see what they can do! Impress me! As long as they are still eastern-style dragons and the colors stay in the same range I will be happy. Browsing the old update thread linked elsewhere in this discussion, I absolutely LOVE the overhaul sprites that LadyLyzar did and would be delighted to get those as replacements. I think a complete overhaul is unlikely given user sentiment about sprite changes in general, but I'd still be interested to see it.

Would love to see LadyLizard's sprites myself. They look amazing! but I doubt those would be the replacement. I'm guessing the sprite will remain more or less the same, only better, as with the 09 Val.

Been here since Nov 09 and I like sprite updates.

I am pretty sure he was referring to the fact that DC is a growing site, and as such has to keep growing, updating. Also, never excluded us, older players (I am here since 2008, if I am correct), he just made emphasize on the newer users.

And sorry for pointing you out of the whole, but this comment is actually for everyone, specially the ones that look at that comment and think that he is saying that only the new users want the updates. Not that I am anyone that should say this, but I have seen at least 4 comments like this, and they dont add anything to the topic. Of course, everyone is free to post anything they want, but is bad when you read the same comment over and over.

Generalization and simplification smile.gif Actually, I find that only a (quite vocal) minority of the veterans is against change most of the time. I reference them as the "Things are that way for a reason" troupe. Sometimes as the "if it is not broken do not fix it" clan - even when "it" is evidently broken. At the same time, I can see rigidity on the approach of some "newer" users. Fact is: the majority of the veterans is quite flexible and rational, not going for the new stuff just-because but willing to listen, suggest and compromise.

Then you have people like me, who argue both sides of things.

Im not a fan of sprites changing, but I understand the need to update things. Some sprites could use some updates, to fix broken limbs and limbs that dont quite match the others, however fixing those things risks changing them, if not done with care. I'd like to see old ones left as is, and all new ones after the date have the new sprite.. but I get why people arent ok with that idea. My style is to latch on to the things I like an dont like, and try to find middle ground tongue.gif

Im choosing not to get hung up on it.

I'm eager for the updates. :3 Maybe I'd want to collect more horses if there was a male? Lol! I'd love to see what the Christmas dragons get. xd.png With all the sprite revamps I've loved the newest versions the best because they appeal to my realism artist eye. xd.png

I have not really liked silvers for SO LONG. They just... don't work compared to the other more realistic dragons. >.> I really don't like their designs atm. I've seen some proposed silver revamps and I LOVE them much more! :3 Especially the really shimmery ones with the flowey manes and all. :3 THAT could get me to want to collect more lol.

Not the way it currently is though. sad.gif

Anyone else excited out of their mind for the Nilia and Horse dimorphisms?

I am, can't wait to see what the new sprites look like! xd.png

I've got my first silver EVER growing up right now... and I haven't really noticed until is has sat beside my other hatchlings, that it looks kind of dull. Plus I dunno, the tail has been really bugging me for some reason.

I'm looking forward to the update, but I under stand how people are feeling about the change in sprites. And who knows, update may come and I might not like the sprites. I'm just going to wait and see before I make a decision.

Am I the first to get on and see the new mobile update? *0*

It looks so clean. Less dull....thanks, TJ!

Do we have any word as to WHEN the sprite changes will happen?

Just curious because as far as I can tell all of mine still like they always have.

The OP says it will happen over the next few weeks.

No update for me.. I'm on google chrome for Android..

Magelights are really good at opening miner's rations with their snoots, and have a breed fondness for baked beans. Mighty predators indeed.

Also I never intended for the vday 09s to look particularly devilish, so I fixed that in the update.

Magelights are really good at opening miner's rations with their snoots, and have a breed fondness for baked beans. Mighty predators indeed.

<snip>

You have made me love Magelights even more, I wasn't sure that was possible..

I can't wait for the Pygmy dimorphism, it'll be great for all the pygmy lineages I am planning..

I checked up on it, but its still the same for me. I guess thats the downside of being a Windows user, though. xd.png

It does look beautiful from the screenshots, however. I don't know how troublesome it may be to update the Window's Phone layout, but it would be a dream to see it one day, even though I don't hunt in the caves using my phone.

Edited by lovecats99

Oh, that is just adorable! laugh.gif

Oh, that is just adorable! laugh.gif

I can't find it. T.T That makes me sad.