TJ09

2015-09-27 - Encyclopedia Update (and more)

I think I'll like these sprite updates, but I do understand why people may be opposed.

For me, most of the sprite updates I've seen dragons go through only made them better in my eyes, like the tweaks the female Purples went through, for example.

Most got updates to make them look more detailed, or two just clean up their anatomy. I remember some people being mad about the Golds, but the thing about them  they always felt like a sketch on the scroll, which was a concept that by this point was clearly outdated, and they needed some fixing, even if I'm not crazy about the new Male Gold's pose (or possibly that they lost their scaled bellies, which is only visible on the male sprite.) Regardless, they needed the update, kept most of their defining features, and we got much better sprites out of it.

The Valentine 09's however.. this is where I can understand some people;

user posted image -> user posted image

I fell like the update of the Val 09's was not nearly as needed, and it does not feel like an improvement. Little was gained, and if anything, the dragon lost detail and much of its personality.

For some reason I never see anyone really talk about the Val 09's change, but I figured I'd bring it up- I doubt these new planned sprites for the Silvers will be a downgrade like this, but I can understand why some people may be anxious.

I didn't even know they'd been changed (I was here in '09, but late - I may not even have had my scroll at that point; it took me a bit to get into this - so I missed their release entirely). I agree with you though. The new one does look softer; the old one looked so fierce.

Edited by Wahya

I've been thinking for a while, and finally figured our how to phrase this.

It's the 'newer' users that want the updates.

We (newer users) that have joined after the fog, and after mod mayhem, we weren't here to see the 'original' cave. We (half the time)* don't know a lot of the struggles the 'older' contingent does. When I joined DC, (January of 2014) I thought of this of an adoptables site. It was the first one I ever joined, and this was the first forum. I was, at first, only focused on getting a gold trophy. I now have a gold trophy, I'm roughly 150 dragons away from my first 1000 dragons. I have done very well in the time that I've had, and I've loved every minute. When I got my first Silver, I didn't see the flaws, I saw a scroll goal, and a pretty dragon. I love silvers, I always will. But you know why? Because of their description. Not their sprite (which is flawed), not their 'quirks', their description.

Sadly, the sprite does not do the description justice. It just doesn't. I am in complete favor of an update for their sprite. I want to see the art reflect the words. I trust the spriters to do their work well, so even if I personally dislike the sprite, I will still keep it, because it will do a better job of showing the dragon than the current sprite.

*extreme generalization on my part, only my experience going into this, feedback appreciated.

I get it, but what am I supposed to do? Continue to play a game that makes me cringe every time I look at my scroll because it's "for the good of the site"? Obviously, I'm in the minority and things aren't going to change on my account, so I'll just go play my other games and let you folk get on with it.

I for one will be sorry to see you go :/ I know we've never met before, but I hope you realize for some of us, your stay was much appreciated! You were a big part of the history of this site, as are many of those who've been here for years. I understand why you want to leave, but I do hope you give it a second thought.

The Valentine 09's however.. this is where I can understand some people;

I fell like the update of the Val 09's was not nearly as needed, and it does not feel like an improvement. Little was gained, and if anything, the dragon lost detail and much of its personality.

For some reason I never see anyone really talk about the Val 09's change, but I figured I'd bring it up- I doubt these new planned sprites for the Silvers will be a downgrade like this, but I can understand why some people may be anxious.

I didn't even know they'd been changed (I was here in '09, but late - I may not even have had my scroll at that point; it took me a bit to get into this - so I missed their release entirely). I agree with you though. The new one does look softer; the old one looked so fierce.

I don't think Valentine dragons should look fierce? Valentine's day is all about love and happiness and chocolate and hugging and stuff. Having a scary or fierce valentine wouldn't fit very well, so having a 'softer' look is an improvement. The only thing I miss is, like everyone else, the little swirly pink magic thing.

Now if there was a 'broken hearts' valentine that'd be great!

I dunno, man, I think she put on at least 40lbs.

I just giggled at that comment so hard.

Personally, I'm pretty hyped about sprite updates. Sure, it'll take a little getting used to at first, but I think it'll be fantastic. And I'm sure whoever did the new sprites did an amazing job!

We (newer users) that have joined after the fog, and after mod mayhem, we weren't here to see the 'original' cave. We (half the time)* don't know a lot of the struggles the 'older' contingent does. When I joined DC, (January of 2014) I thought of this of an adoptables site. It was the first one I ever joined, and this was the first forum. I was, at first, only focused on getting a gold trophy. I now have a gold trophy, I'm roughly 150 dragons away from my first 1000 dragons. I have done very well in the time that I've had, and I've loved every minute. When I got my first Silver, I didn't see the flaws, I saw a scroll goal, and a pretty dragon. I love silvers, I always will. But you know why? Because of their description. Not their sprite (which is flawed), not their 'quirks', their description.

Sadly, the sprite does not do the description justice. It just doesn't. I am in complete favor of an update for their sprite. I want to see the art reflect the words. I trust the spriters to do their work well, so even if I personally dislike the sprite, I will still keep it, because it will do a better job of showing the dragon than the current sprite.

*extreme generalization on my part, only my experience going into this, feedback appreciated.

I wouldn't say it's just the newer users, really. I've been here for... *checks* almost 7 years (holy smokes that even more than I thought blink.gif ). Been around for a lot of events, sudden happenings and drama. I don't think there's a definition by which I can be called a newer user; yet, I'm fully in favour of sprite updates.

I do, however, completely understand the feeling of loss some people are experiencing. For them it would be great if at least the old sprites are visible in the encyclopedia or the like. Then again, on the part of the spriters I also completely understand wanting to have your old, sub-par (for the artist's current skills) work still out there.

In the end, it's just not possible to please everyone. Especially not a drama-loving audience as the DC userbase tongue.gif

I see tremendous improvement here. The wings were really crazy, and the shading was so fuzzy. Not to mention that she shouldn't be able to stand like that. All that I can see that was "lost" was a bit of swirly pink magic around her hand. I feel like more detail was added than taken away. I wouldn't consider this a downgrade at all, quite the opposite. I'd be perfectly fine with it if the silvers were updated similarly to this.

What if the change were more like this?

Yeah, wasn't Odie's GON polish just really flippin' kickbutt?

We (newer users) that have joined after the fog, and after mod mayhem, we weren't here to see the 'original' cave. <snip>

Well, I've been here since long before Mod Mayhem and I'm in favor of the updates, so you logic doesn't hold universally.

I saw the old cave. I was here when the trophy system was introduced and our eggs slots increased, along with a huge increase in the number of total growing things allowed. Which was itself a change. I was here before there were any BSAs, when bright pink dragons were so common you tripped over them. I was here for the release of the frills.

That doesn't mean I don't understand how people are feeling. But yes, bring on the updates.

Add another voice to the older users who like updates. I've been here seven years and I think about the only update I did not care for was the sunset update. I loved the gold update, the only reason I collected any of the old golds was for completions sake.

I think a key thing is to remember though that you can't please everyone. I remember when the AP used to block the cave, except for five minutes right at the hour. I remember there were people who argued against it not blocking the cave.

Edited by Nectaris

Truth to tell, I think its a lot less "new" users vs "old" users than simply being temperament. Some people feel nostalgia a lot stronger than others, and other people dislike change, preferring the status quo to the unknown, if the status quo is ok for them. The same sort of backlash happened with Teleport and the Biomes and the AP changes. In time, most people who fussed over it have come to accept that the changes were for the better, but some people still long for the "good ol days".

I, myself, have been here since May 2009 and have well over 5,000 dragons, so in no way would I be considered "new". I'm looking forward to the update, truth to tell. I may like it, I may not like it. But until the sprite actually gets here, I'm not going to get fussed over it.

Cheers!

C4.

I would like to add my voice here and say "I kinda like sprite updates". I really miss the old Golds, but I really like the new ones too. I like the Sunsets and the Whiptails better then the old sprites, And I like both of the Val '09 sprites. I really miss the Frills and want them back, same with the Bright Pinks.

I am kinda looking forward to the Silver update, but I do hope it is just a polishing up like the GoN. I'd love to have my old Gold sprite back, but I don't think that will happen (and I did not like the teaser of it in the OP, since we can't have them back right now).

Super exited about the updates! I don't use mobile, but the new sprite are exciting. One of the nicest things on my scroll are a 2nd gen silver I got as a gift from a mod thats not on the site anymore. If its as shiny and special looking on site as it is to me then it will be a big treat.

Been 'ere since 2011, if it matters.

Generalization and simplification smile.gif Actually, I find that only a (quite vocal) minority of the veterans is against change most of the time. I reference them as the "Things are that way for a reason" troupe. Sometimes as the "if it is not broken do not fix it" clan - even when "it" is evidently broken. At the same time, I can see rigidity on the approach of some "newer" users. Fact is: the majority of the veterans is quite flexible and rational, not going for the new stuff just-because but willing to listen, suggest and compromise.

Truth to tell, I think its a lot less "new" users vs "old" users than simply being temperament. Some people feel nostalgia a lot stronger than others, and other people dislike change, preferring the status quo to the unknown, if the status quo is ok for them. The same sort of backlash happened with Teleport and the Biomes and the AP changes. In time, most people who fussed over it have come to accept that the changes were for the better, but some people still long for the "good ol days".

I, myself, have been here since May 2009 and have well over 5,000 dragons, so in no way would I be considered "new". I'm looking forward to the update, truth to tell. I may like it, I may not like it. But until the sprite actually gets here, I'm not going to get fussed over it.

Cheers!

C4.

Yes to all this, except I was here before even the vampire release, so I know full well how the cave was back then. I remember back before we even HAD lineage views. No one made lineages back then because it was impossible to see them aside from painstakingly clicking every dragon in the 'parent' links and looking at their view pages to make sure inbreeding wasn't happening.

I remember having to give your friend the dragcave.net/get/CODE link before you dropped an egg in the AP so they could get it from you, and still ran the risk of having someone else pick it up instead.

I remember one cave, no BSAs, and you had 4 normal egg slots and a 5th slot if you bred it.

I remember everyone being super excited about the 'new' seasonals and all the rampant speculation for what autumns, winters, and springs would look like, because that was a super brand new gimmick.

I remember back when papers had gender. I have two male paper dragons.

All those cave updates? IMPROVEMENTS.

I have seen almost all the sprite updates. I was not here before the Fog, sadly, so I never saw the copyrighted sprites, but there have not been any updates to any sprites that pissed me off. Even the sunsets aren't THAT bad. They could definitely be worse!

I joined back in 2008 and have watched a lot of the sprites improve drastically in quality. Back when they updated the golds and several of the hatchling sprites I was shocked at first but they fit so much nicer with the rest of the newer sprites. *shrug* I love all of my tiny babies and I'm happy to see them continue to grow and change. I still from time to time go onto the wiki to look at the old sprites when I'm feeling nostalgic.

Back to the topic, what's your "swirly flower" about the Silvers? I love the female pose, even if LadyLyzar's version is very, very tempting.

Back to the topic, what's your "swirly flower" about the Silvers? I love the female pose, even if LadyLyzar's version is very, very tempting.

I'd have to say it's the colored frills. The pink on the female is nice, if unoriginal, but the male's frills are amazing!

Considering that's an integral part of what makes them silvers, I'm glad it's staying.

I do want to see this so-called 'beautiful glow' that 'lights up the cave'.

I really, really like the male silver's pose. The almost 3-shaped way his body looks, the curve of the neck, and especially the face. I freaking love that face. I wouldn't mind slight updates in the least, but changing that pose is going to be a big letdown for me.

I really, really like the male silver's pose. The almost 3-shaped way his body looks, the curve of the neck, and especially the face. I freaking love that face. I wouldn't mind slight updates in the least, but changing that pose is going to be a big letdown for me.

I can agree with most of that but... the curve of the neck? Oh noes. Please no sad.gif

For me? Really the whip-like tail with a flowing tassel as well as a general eastern shape. I'm probably one of the only ones who wouldn't mind if they were not stereotypically pink/blue for males and females. I highly, HIGHLY, doubt that would happen and I suspect I would be the only one cheering if it did.

Edited by Nectaris

For me? Really the whip-like tail with a flowing tassel as well as a general eastern shape. I'm probably one of the only ones who wouldn't mind if they were not stereotypically pink/blue for males and females. I highly, HIGHLY, doubt that would happen and I suspect I would be the only one cheering if it did.

I'd be okay with that just in terms of the sprite itself, but I'd also feel a bit bad about the lineages built on the blue/pink colors. xd.png

I'd be okay with that just in terms of the sprite itself, but I'd also feel a bit bad about the lineages built on the blue/pink colors. xd.png

I know, which is why I said it won't happen. I doubt anyone would do it for the fear of backlash if for no other reason.

*jeopardy music plays while we wait for the sprite updates*

I'm so impatient, seriously I think this is bad for my health xd.png

Anyone else excited out of their mind for the Nilia and Horse dimorphisms?