PureDark006

Choice, a Pokemon Shifters RP

The fun was just getting started when Pooch's barking alerted them of someone coming. Damn it. Rhapsody wanted to see how long it'd take the kid to stand up before actually getting it right. And that's not even going into how many tries it'd take them to actually put a foot in front of the other without losing their balance.

Well, not all the fun was lost, as the newcomer was an orange dog-like Pokemon with black stripes that wasted no time to continue the proud tradition of falling on one's face. He snorted, and guessed the only reason Pooch didn't throw him a look again was because she was busy focusing on the other Pokemon, having come back after the initial barking to stand next to him.

By the way the orange Pokemon was speaking, Rhapsody assumed she was young. It didn't fit the massive size, but he'd never seen that particular species before so who knew how big they got. He was about to tell Pooch to handle it when the orange one asked a question, and he had to do a double-take. Wait, she didn't know what she was? Was that even possible?

Also what the hell kinda look was that one?

Fortunately, Z seemed to know what dog the striped one was, though Rhapsody had never heard of Arcanines before. "Hell if I know," he told Z, shrugging.

Pooch seemed to realize that right now she was the most competent one in the trio, so she trotted to the bigger Pokemon, tail down and ears perked. Pooch had seen Growlithes before, and this looked like the evolved form, just like Z had said. "You do look like an Arcanine." She repeated the information in case the other Fire-type hadn't heard the human. "Is there a problem with your body? Did you get hit by a move that causes confusion?" she asked, circling the newcomer so she could sniff her.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zorua's tail wagging intensified when Sarah put away the berries. He knew it, both humans and Pokemon loved to eat those!

He puffed his chest out in pride at the next question. "My trainer is Hygre, the Gym Leader here! She's gonna train me so I get super-strong one day, and I won't need to run away from the bugs at the forest anymore!" he proclaimed with a big smile. He then lowered an ear, expression falling and tail slowing down to a stop as he looked to the side. "I didn't run away. I wanted to buy that Poke Puff in secret, and, as good a trainer as Hygre is, she can't keep a secret, so I had to hide it from her too." He sat down, both ears drooping as he looked at Sarah and Teccy again. "Next week is mom's birthday. Poochyena told me to ask an adult to come with me and get something from the forest, but sis did that already and she went on her own! So I wanted to do it by myself too. Next month I start actual training for battles, and I want to prove I'm all grown up now!"

"I'm not interested in the history. I want to know whether you have beds when I'm not in a Poké Ba- rather, somewhere to rest even though I am completely not a Pokémon. And as for you, girl, I watch my tone for nobody. You'd do well to remember that." You're doing great so far, they have no clue that you're lying. Remembering something else, he continued. "And where do you hide your Googles?"

Liz stepped back, deciding she didn't want to deal with the strange and angry man, and stepped back into the room she'd left. And of course, Kage was still in it and would undoubtedly ask her questions. Simple enough, just lie about being a shifter. Except she couldn't lie to save her life. This was just not her day.

Edited by Dorchadas

Sarah looked at the excited Zorua and smiled. "... I just realised you also switched gender with your transformation... Doesn't that feel odd?" she asked, but got a slap into the back of her head from a wing.

Teccy shook his head, but smiled a little. "You can't just ask such rude things, silly!" he said with his squeaky voice, and took a better position on the shoulder he was sitting on. Sarah rolled her eyes, and held the spot she was hit in. "I guess..." she answered with a quiet voice.

------

Kage rolled his eyes, as the woman who annoyed him a bit left. He almost got up, but the door creaked again, and the blue-themed girl stepped into the room. Worth a shot, I guess...

Kage slowly got up, and kept his pokerface. "I have to ask one thing... uhm... this situation seemed off, have you heard of people who can transform into pokemons?" he asked, as he walked to the door, behind the girl. He was kind of blocking the door, although it opens both ways. "I'm not trying to hurt you or anything, please don't freak out..." he awkwardly chuckled.

-----

Fia heard the name Arcanine be said multiple times. She guessed that she must've becomen an arcanine then. She raised her ears a little, and pretty clumsily laid down on her stomach, placing the other paw on top of the other. She looked at the small black dog as it circled her, but then focused on the ground. "Well, uhh..." she tried to start awkwardly. "... Yeah I can't make up anything on the go. Honestly, I have no idea what happened, but apparently i'm an arcanine... hard to explain. I'm happy that humans don't speak pokemon. I would probably be put down for being a crazy dog." she spoke, her voice got a little more confident.

Pooch blinked. "Huh. Did you evolve recently?" she asked, sniffing the Arcanine on the point where the tail started.

Weird. As a fellow dog Pokemon, the scent should be way stronger than it currently was. It reminded her of when she sniffed Z and only got a vague aroma of grass from them. But what were the chances of finding another two people like Rhapsody in the same day, after having spent nearly a week without encountering any?

"Better to play on the safe side," she thought, circling her again so she was back in the other Pokemon's field of vision. By what she had seen, both Rhapsody and Z seemed more at ease on their Pokemon forms, making her believe they were Pokemon with the ability to transform into humans. Was the opposite possible as well? Or was she overthinking it, and the other Pokemon had merely taken a bath recently? Then again, she hadn't know what Pokemon she was, and besides, Fire-types didn't like water...

Pooch threw a questioning look at Rhapsody, who just shrugged, indicating her to proceed as she saw fit. So she turned back to the Arcanine, their size difference meaning the Houndour had to look up to make eye contact even when she was still standing while the other Fire-type was laying down.

"Believe me, strange things have been going on lately. Could you tell me what happened? We can try to help as much as we can," she said is a soft tone, like the one she used for younger members of her pack.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zorua tilted his head, confused by the question and Teccy's reaction. "Why would it bother me? It's just an act. Besides, mom always says that the pride of our species is to perfectly be able to pretend to be anyone, anywhere, anytime. She says, if we let little things ruin our act, then we fail at using our Illusion ability," he told them, nodding to himself.

He thought of something and perked up again, tail starting to wag. "You helped me a lot, so is there anything I can do for you? I know this town as well as mom's mane, I can guide you anywhere!" he offered with a happy grin, eyes sparkling again.

Sarah heard the Zorua's answer, and nodded. "I guess that makes sense. It's just odd for me, because i'm just a human, I don't really get these things." she said.

When he offered guiding, Sarah thought for a moment. "Well, now that you mention it, I would maybe like to know more about this town overall, I haven't explored a lot yet!" she answered, and Teccy rolled his eyes. "Yeah, you've been testing your abilities for a while." the bat said, and Sarah tapped his head in an annoying way, basically messaging 'shut up'.

--------

Fia looked downwards at the little pokemon, and slowly nodded. "I guess I should try to explain... Anyways, I actually just woke up in the middle of the woods, with a weird warm feeling inside me, like a flame or something. I only remembered a few things, my name, and a few rules. The rules were to a 'challenge' that I took, but it kind of gave me weird powers. I'm not really a pokemon, but I have no idea how to turn back, or even if I can!" she told the houndour. At about half of the story her tail flickered a lot, nervously. When she finished talking, she plopped her head down on the grass, and whimpered a little. "...and i'm kind scared." she added, her ears dropping again.

Rhapsody had been planning to pretend he didn't understand a bark and let Pooch handle everything, but when the Arcanine told her about her situation, he couldn't not turn towards them.

"Are you friggin kidding me," he said in a disbelieving tone, sitting up instead of leaning against the tree. First Z, now dog-girl; was that town a magnet for beings like Rhapsody? Or maybe Pooch was a filthy liar and his powers weren't as rare as she told him. The Houndour seemed pretty surprised too though, so maybe it was that she didn't know as much as she thought.

He chuckled, amused. "Nothing to be scared about. Me and Z over there are in the exact same situation. Heck, Z even has a worse balance than you," he commented with a grin.

"I told you to stop messing with them," Pooch growled at her trainer, who shrugged in a non-apologetic manner. She rolled her eyes and turned to the Arcanine again. "Try thinking about your human form. I heard from Rhapsody that's how he does it."

"I'll tell you everything I know!" Zorua said, eyes shinning, and he started to talk, going faster and faster as he ranted. "Hygre says the town is small. I've never been to other towns so I don't know, but if she says so it must be true! It's a very nice place. There are a lot of Bug and Grass Pokemon in the forest, because there are berry trees everywhere. Hygre says they're all common berries. But they're tasty! Oh, but the ones she gets from other towns are tasty too! I like the dry ones. And the bitter ones. They're really yummy! Not many humans come here though. Most of them are trainers that want to challenge Hygre. I've seen the last three. The second one was really, really strong! She challenged Hygre to a fight in the most difficult level and it was amazing! She even got the-" he interrupted himself then, grin turning into an expression of horrified surprise.

"Oh no. I forgot the wallet," he whined. Those creeps from before had said it wasn't something a person usually left behind, and thinking about it, he had seen Hygre holding onto it even when buying stuff. "I-I have to get it back!" he started running, but then stopped abruptly, sliding a few centimeters and rising a small cloud of dust as he turned to Sarah. "You can come! I'll show you around on the way!" he exclaimed, jumping in place and ready to bolt the second she started following him.

The woman, Gaes, stepped out behind him, while Elizabeth retreated back, a little frightened by the aggressive tone of the new man who refused to calm down. What an eventful day. He didn't even know what he was babbling about. Was this guy one of those pokeManiacs who muttered to themselves frequently about the end of the world? Either way, Lambert felt his arrogance was not welcome in this building.

"Google?" Lambert repeated, his expression softening for a second. He remembered that it was a search website, and he realized that he could have inputted any questions he had into the world wide web. Maybe that would be the next step in reawakening some memories. Then he recalled, how did this guy not know what Google was? Was he raised in a cave? "It's on the PC. Beds are over there." He answered, pointing to the two respective directions, then added sardonically, "Do you want me to show you how to use both of them?"

Pooch started a conversation with the other dog Pokemon. Z supposed they had to continue the charade of not being able to understand them. In that case, might as well continue their previous task. Taking a moment to remember what they'd done when they first woke up, they rolled forward onto their feet and, grabbing hold of a nearby branch, slowly pulled themself up into a standing position. In the moment they took to catch their breath, the Arcanine mentioned the rules. They turned to shoot her an incredulous look, and would have lost their balance and fallen down all over again if they hadn't forgotten to release their death-grip on the branch.

Sighing in frustration, they shuffled their feet further apart to adjust their balance. Now that they'd fallen this many times, they were beginning to see the pattern: when something caught their notice, they tended to instinctively shift all their attention to it, leaving not enough to effectively regulate their movement. They'd jerked around awkwardly even in Pokemon form because of it, so the transformation couldn't explain all of it either. Before this "game" - assuming they existed during that time frame at all - were they somehow used to not having to move around?

Shaking their head, they filed away the possibility for later. Rhapsody had spoken (although they weren't paying enough attention to really tell what he said), so they took that as a cue to follow suit. "Ah - excuse me. Are you implying that - um, as far as you can tell, at least, g-given the... memory situation - you were human? Before this?"

Liz backed up slowly, completely unsure how to answer his question. Oh my Arceus he's gonna find out what I am andthenhe'llturnmeintothecopsorevenworseoneofthoseweirdhumantraffickingthingsoharceusmylifeisover

She continued to retreat, desperately searching for a window. "Um... well... you see, erm... eheh... No! Ah, I mean no, never heard of them." She added one last part in a tiny whisper: "Please don't hurt me..."

Rennaj tilted his head, staring at Lambert. The human is being kind? I'm... not used to this. Perhaps I'll hold back my anger... but just a little! He nodded, staring at him even more. "That would be... nice. I already know how to use a bed, although I appreciate your offer, but I will need help operating your Google."

Sarah looked at the Zorua, who first explained a lot of stuff. As the story kept going and going, Sarah almost bursted out laughing, but Teccy poked her a little. Sarah kept silent. I guess there're a lot of berries here...

When the Zorua stopped talking and grinning, she raised her eyebrow. "Wha-" she started to ask, but the pokemon bolted off. Sarah just heard him say something of getting a wallet back, but she didn't even get to ask before the zorua said she could come too. Sarah nodded, and ran up to him. "Though... You're pretty fast, maybe I should be something that can stay with your speed," she laughed, kind of asking if it was okay.

-----

Kage saw the girl get frightened, and he slightly sighed. I'm expecting overreacting... he thought, when the girl's eyes showed very great surprise. As the girl started awkwardly talking, he raised his eyebrow.

"I'm not going to hurt you..." he said, he accidentally answered to the girl's whisper, he didn't even notice it. However he did notice unsureness in her voice. "I'm pretty good at reading people in my opinion... I think you're lying." he said, slighly pointing at the girl. I hope she does actually lie, this would be very awkward otherwise...

-----

Fia looked at the man, who suddenly said something right at her. She lowered her ears, and leaned a bit backwards, but raised her ears in surprise, when the man told about him, and probably the other guy, who's name was... Z? Really? Then she turned her head to the other one talking, the houndour, who told her an advice.

She was about to try tranaforming, when... Z.. asked her a question. "Uh, you can apparently understand me..." she first said, and sat up pretty slowly. "...and yeah, I was a human... At least before transforming. But, as I said, I can't remember much yet." she continued, lowering her ears a little.

Rhapsody raised an eyebrow at Z's question. He had woken up as a human too and he was pretty sure he wasn't one, so he didn't get why they had asked-

Wait a minute. Even at the beginning, he'd had perfect balance as an Hydreigon. Heck, if anything, lacking wings and a tail had felt weird as hell. And this girl couldn't walk in four legs?

...Damn, she was probably human before this whole disaster, wasn't she.

He snorted, leaning forward. "Understanding Pokemon even when we look like humans is part of the second rule. Just like the evolving between human and Pokemon, the extra moves, using those moves while human, and the terrible sense of balance."

"Stop joking."

"I will if you walk from here to town in two legs."

Pooch groaned, considering the pros and cons of setting fire to her trainer's hair. Only a little bit of hair wouldn't be that bad, he had lots of it.

"That aside." She tried to bring the conversation to useful ground again. "We should share what we know about all of this. When you three woke up, which form you're most comfortable with,-"

"You mean the one where we don't fall on our faces."

"And if you've discovered anything about what the rules mention," Pooch finished, voice adquiring a frustrated tone after the interruption but otherwise ignoring it. "Your name too," she added, looking at the Arcanine.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zorua's eyes shined at Sarah's words. "Doitdoitdoitdoit," he begged, each syllable said when he bounced off the ground as he jumped from side to side. A transformation wasn't the same thing he or his family did, but he still wanted to see it.

Oh no, he had to lead the way, but he wanted to run behind to be able to see the Pokemon Sarah was. Wait, he could run at her side! Brilliant, he was a genius.

He grinned as he finally stayed still, chest almost touching the ground and tail up in the air in a play position, mentally going through all the Pokemon he knew and wondering which one she was.

Z blinked at the mention of extra moves. Did they have those? Well, Rhapsody had been here for six days; his information was probably correct. They hadn't been in Pokemon form long enough to run a full diagnostic, so they weren't quite sure which moves they knew. It would have to wait until later, they supposed - along with everything else in that quickly-growing category. They tried to recall the other things they'd had to put off and found with some alarm that they couldn't - at least, not immediately; they had to actually think about it for a few seconds before the information surfaced. Was that how organic memory worked? They bit their lip and hoped it'd at least return to normal when they transformed back.

Pooch, who Z was quickly noticing was the more practical of the duo, called for a summary of information. They nodded at her, relieved for a distraction. "Right - it's been... a bit less than two hours, for me. And with all available information... I was - I'm probably a Pokemon. As far as I can tell." If we were anything at all before this, they did not say. "A Porygon-Z, to be specific. And..."

They trailed off. To say they knew anything about Team Helix would be a lie, but the name did seem somehow familiar, not to mention the possible connection with other "team" organizations. Should they be sharing this if it was all just speculation? No; it wouldn't hurt to wait until they had a little more concrete information. "Never mind. I-I'm Z. As he mentioned."

The guy was too dense to understand sarcasm. This was great. Lambert paced over to the Pokecenter PC terminal, expecting the deadlocked-man to follow, sat down, and turned the machine on. It emitted its characteristic jingle as the screen came alive, and Lambert entered the username and password, copying down the letters on the sticker taped to the desk. "Okay," he said to the man, speaking slowly and enunciating his words so they would sink in, "so you log onto the PC, then you double-click the little icon that looks like the GTS globe with a Fenekin around it. The one that looks like a box is the Pokemon Box Storage System, and the envelope with the Pelipper is where you store your Mail."

Doing so, Lambert then clicked the address bar of the browser. "Then, you type in Google-dot-com." He pressed the enter key. "What did you want to search?" He hoped that the man wouldn't be too long, since he wanted to try and ask the Internet all his questions. And maybe check his Box as well, but it was unlikely that he could access it as he couldn't remember his full name nor his trainer ID number.

Liz let out a tiny meep, charging up a blizzard attack without thinking. Flinging it at him, a small breeze went through the room. She scratched the back of her head, somewhat embarrassed. "Erm, could we just sort of forget that happened? I kinda wanna leave now. Please." I'm scared.

Rennaj stared at the magic box with strange squiggles all over the place. He would never remember how to do this. "I cannot tell what any of this means, but if you know how to use it that's good. I require information on something called helix. More specifically, where they keep their research."

Gaes frowned at the male's response. Really? He was being snippy at her when she only gave him a light comment? Well, whatever. Let him be sour. She could give him a really good reason to be in a bad mood. But, was it worth it?

Nah. Hearing the guy's reply to Lambert was wonderful enough. Apparently, the stranger didn't know what sarcasm was and Lambert's quip sailed right over his head. The thought made her smirk, a snicker starting to rise until it cut off at the name, Helix. Gaes paused, staring at the male's back. He wanted to know about Helix's research?

But that was... One of the rules! Why was he interested in finding out about that? Unless he knew something she didn't? Or maybe he was given the same set of rules?

Quickly, she shook her head. Don't be ridiculous. This bumbling idiot wouldn't even remotely be considered for an experiment like I was. They wouldn't get anything from him except thoughts of clouds. She still frowned.

The rules stated that she would remember who she was once Helix's research was destroyed. Maybe it would still be worthwhile to find out what the stranger might know? It likely was. However, she needed to think of some idea to get what she wanted. Looking around, Gaes realized she didn't know where to find the restroom.

Approaching the nurse at the counter, she smiled politely. "Could you point me to the bathroom, please?" The woman nodded and directed her to the back, around the corner. Thanking her, Gaes hurried away and pushed through the door. Fortunately, no one else was here.

Taking a seat on the countertop, Gaes idly kicked her legs, tossing the rules over in her head. There was a slight possibility that Mr. Dumb and Sour was after the same objective as she probably should be. However, she hadn't thought much about Helix and their research (or the rules for that matter) until now. She'd been more focused on trying to get her bearings in a place she didn't know.

For a moment, Gaes started to wonder what sort of quest she agreed to lose her memories. And, what special abilities? So far, she's done nothing fantastical since she woke up. Had she been duped? Now that she focused more on the rules, it seemed less like she was the victim of illegal experimentation and more like the victim of a huge scam. The idea made her angry but also afraid.

If this was a scam, then would she ever get her memories back?

Restless and starting to lose the bit of calm she had maintained, Gaes got off the countertop and started pacing. As she began to run scenarios in her head about what she could have possibly given her memory up for, she was surrounded by a flash of light. In the next heartbeat, everything looked much higher up than before and she froze.

Speechless, freaked out, and uncertain if she was dreaming, Gaes stared at her small hands. A heavy weight tugged at the back of her head, threatening to unbalance her. But instinct kept her on her feet, holding her body in just the right way to counteract that weight.

And it felt reassuring. It felt like a comfortable embrace from someone telling her things were okay now.

"I was - am - a Mawile...?"

Edited by Narvix

Helix… Research… The rest of the words flew over Lambert's head and he flinched, stopping himself from whipping around and grabbing the man's shirt to shake some information out of him. Even with Gaes out of the room -- presumably because she couldn't handle the sheer incompetence of this guy -- Lambert chose his next words carefully. "I see… We're in the same boat, me and you." He added to himself that, amusingly, this man would have no problem living as a pokemon since he lived in caves already. There was no other explanation for how much common knowledge he lacked. "What's your name, boy?"

He typed in Team Helix Research into the computer, and waited for the results to load. A team… Writing out the word gave him a vague recollection of something he couldn't quite remember; but he felt that the concept of Teams was important.

The second result was a link to the Church of the Helix which, from the sample description, was a Kantonian religion (Kanto was a region, right?). He wanted to click it out of curiosity, but figured that it would be better to do what they needed to do first. He'd also have to google all his symptoms later as well, in case there were others like them out there.

"Here we go, Team Helix's webpage…" He didn't believe it was that easy. He thought that they would be much more obscure, as the word team implied, but he wasn't complaining. Clicking around, Lambert quickly realized that the website was vague as hell. "All it really says is that their research focuses on Bio-engineering, Computer Science, Genetics…" He scrolled down with the mouse wheel. "Current projects are something about type change upon evolution, and Cloud Computing. I don't think they would list their top secret research projects on a public website."

((Googled information brought to you by PD))

Edited by TehUltimateMage

After asking the question, and getting the answer from the pokemon, Sarah chuckled. "Okay then, calm down!" she answered with a joking-like voice. She grabbed Teccy's pokeball, who was then put inside it. Sorry buddy.... okay, how did this work again... It was quite easy last time. Think of the appearance...

After thinking just for a few seconds, a bright flash of light surrounded her. She was very soon on four legs, and the light disappeared. She shook her head a bit in the air, and almost fell. "Woah! Okay, i'm not that good with balance just yet, I guess..." she said to the Zorua, letting out her absol growls. She walked up to the fox, who was still smaller than her. "Lead the way!" she barked, and waved her tail from side to side quite slowly.

---------

Kage gasped and covered his face as a reaction to the sudden wind that flew towards him. As he noticed it basically did nothing, he raised his gaze at her and grinned. Suddenly he pointed at the girl. "I knew it!" he accidentally yelled, but shut his mouth. "I mean... er... welcome to the club." he continued, and just smiled. "I have to ask... what pokemon? I'm a Zoroark myself. At least that's what I feel more comfortable as, so that'd be what I was before this, right?" he continued talking again and leaned against the wall.

---------

Fia looked at her paws, but perked her ears at the questions. "Definitely the human form..." she confessed, but raised her head again. "But I literally just came here, I have no idea what's going on, or where I am, or who I actually am... Well, okay, I know my name is Fia, but everything else is foggy..." she continued, her voice getting more unsure with every new truth she told. She lowered her ears a little. "Why do these things move so much?!" she asked, mostly from herself, and frowned a little.

((Sorry I took so long, my internet was out, and the whole electricity was gone from the house for two days because of surprise-snow...))

((Don't worry about it ^^))

Sarah glowed like she was evolving, and transformed into a white dogfox with a blue horn. Zorua's eyes shined as he took in the white fur, the dark claws, the stiff tail, the stripes on the white bangs; he had never seen that Pokemon before, he wanted to memorize all the details. "You can walk on both two and four legs?" he exclaimed, amazed. He had tried walking in two legs like his mom, but he had fell down every time, and Sarah could do it? "So cool!"

She told him to lead and he tried to press his paw to his forehead like those 'milktarry saltude' Bisharp did, but his paw was too short and only reached his snout, so he settled for waving it. "Leave it to me!" he answered, and dashed off. And while he wanted to run at full speed, he wanted more to keep looking at the white Pokemon, so he ran to match her pace to be able to see how she ran.

He'd need to know everything if he was ever to use his ability to be like her, after all.

Kusba was a small village; it didn't take long to reach the part where all the buildings where people used money were. He had told Sarah he'd show her around, so he slowed down and started talking about all of them. "That one there is the mall where humans get their food. I'm not allowed in since that one time I bumped against a really big mountain of cans and they all fell down. That shop over there is for clothes. I don't go in 'cause last time I did a shirt tried to suffocate me and the more I ran the more clothes got stuck and it felt like a snake made of clothes was gonna eat me. Over there is the road to the lake; I love going there to play with the Goldeens! But last week me and Poochyena were playing with Hygre there and she dropped her phone on the water and got mad at us. I didn't have dessert that day," he huffed, like it was the greatest injustice he had suffered in his short life. "And that is the Pokemon Center. If I get hurt the nurse heals me up in no time, it's like magic! She didn't even get mad when I got tangled in all the bandages. Huh? Woah, there are a lot of people there today," he commented, approaching the building.

Usually, there'd be only one or two foreigners, but right now there were three people he could see. He pressed his face against the glass of the doors, his body too light to make them open. "Oh hey! It's the creep! The creep's still here!" he exclaimed, tail wagging, recognizing that jacket. There were also the nurse (he hadn't recognized her from that distance before), and-

His ears lowered against his head the second he saw the third man, and he wasted no time in scrambling behind Sarah, fur on end. "It's the mean guy from before," he whispered from behind her hind legs.

"Ears and tail is how we canines mainly express emotion. I can see how it'd be bothersome for someone who was human," Pooch commented, looking at Rhapsody's human ears out of the corner of her eyes. In her opinion, she didn't know how humans managed without being able to rotate them to pinpoint sounds. Then again, humans had lowered senses in general (Rhapsody had been complaining about that at least twice a day, so that confirmed it), so they didn't need it as much.

"Woke up like this six days ago. Can't remember anything from before either," Rhapsody said, shrugging. Talking mainly to Fia since he and Z had spoken about this before, and they hadn't said anything they hadn't told Rhapsody back then. "Feel better in my Hydreigon form, like the kid, so I'm gonna go with 'was a Pokemon' here too. Name's Rhapsody; Houndour over there is Pooch, and she's a normal Pokemon."

Fia didn't look as scared anymore (mostly frustrated, but who wouldn't be?), so he stood up. Didn't feel like sitting down when something as big as her was around. "What's going on? We're stuck like this until we clear this little game, if you ask me. Don't know anything else about that. Where we are... Pooch, what was the name of that human settlement again?"

"Kusba Village."

"What she said. Don't have any idea what region we are either. As for who you are..." he put his hands on his pockets, a lopsided grin on his face. "The rules were pretty clear finding out was part of the game."

He took a few slow steps away from the tree, a subconscious movement so the tail that wasn't there wouldn't hit the trunk. "The way I see it, you either play or not play. Pick one and run with it."

Edited by Puredark006

Liz shook her head, trying to play it cool. "That was just a gust of wind. I-I had nothing to do w-with it." She used the fact that he was no longer blocking the door, heading out of the door and then running to get out of the center. As the doors opened, she nearly tripped over a small white and blue Pokémon. Kneeling down, she rubbed its head. "I'm sorry about that... you okay, little guy?"

Rennaj cast a cold glare at the man, resentful of being called "boy", but let it slide for now. "My name is Rennaj, and what they are researching is of no concern to me. I only need to know where it is. Do these strange squiggles tell you, or is your Google useless after all?"

Edited by Dorchadas

Lambert simply chuckled to himself, as the man took offence at being called a kid. "My name is Lambert. Are you expecting to destroy the research yourself without knowing what exactly it is? The website only states that they have headquarters in Castelia, Unova; and Canalave, Sinnoh." How far were they from where they were right now?

Oh right. They were on The Google, as Rennaj so eloquently put it. Google had maps, and inputting directions from the town they were in to the address on the website would be a piece of cake. Lambert's suspicions were confirmed when the map directions told them it would take hundreds of days to surf across the ocean.

"Something tells me that this isn't the way we're supposed to approach this," he stated. "Both those cities are really damn far away." He figured he'd try something else to see if there were any leads based on the powers they were given, but nothing relevant nor useful turned up. Understanding Pokemon gave him results for psychics, and the results for Human Pokemon Transformation made him get up, turn off the PC, and pace away slightly flustered.

Elizabeth chose that moment to dash by and nearly collide with a white, quadrupedal pokemon who seemed to be pawing at the doors (why else would it be standing there, anyway?). Recognition sparked in his mind. An Absol? Where was its trainer? Wild Absol meant that a bad storm was on the way. He found that he was trembling a little, and steadied himself by leaning onto the counter. It was a silly superstition, some thought, but he knew to trust that species' abilities. Having one come into town was a bad sign, indeed. "What brings you here?" he asked it, with a somewhat accusing tone, though not expecting an answer; Absol were usually silent creatures.

Sarah looked through the glass doors, and saw a lot of people in there. So this is a popular place... I wonder what happens if I faint? Do I turn back or do I really faint...? And can they fix me up if I faint as a human...

Her thoughts were interrupted by a girl, who dashed through the doors, almost smacking into her and Zorua. She gasped as the girl suddenly touched her, but apparently she just wanted to pet her. Sarah looked up at the girl and sat down quite awkwardly. One does not simply do something smart in this situation...

A sudden question behind her, however startled her. She turned her head to see yet another human. She just blinked, and tilted her head, pretending not to understand the question. This won't end well this won't end well this won't end well...

------

Kage didn't get a chance to talk to the girl, as she ran out of the room. "Arceus damnit," he said, and stopped leaning against a wall. He decided to look out of the door, only to see a lot of people. If the girl is telling those guys about a creepy man, who attacked her, i'm screwed...

He decided to go into the lobby anyways, might aswell see what kind of people live here. He sat down on a couch near some windows, and yawned. "A busy day here..." he mumbled to himself.

------

Fia listened to the houndour's explanations. "I guess it makes sense," she admitted quietly, still thinking it was pretty weird. She waved her tail a bit, it was nice to find friendly people right after this... weirdness.

After she heard all of them stop their talking, she smiled. "I love how the only real pokemon here knows more than all of us do," she said sith a bit happier tone. "But i guess I should try to transform back..." she said, and stood up. Fia closed her eyes and thought about her human-self. Weaker senses... comfortable balance... no fire... she thought, and pretty soon she noticed the glow around her. She gasped when she noticed, that she was on her knees on the forest floor, and standing felt natural again. "Lucky first try!" she laughed, and she smiled. Quite nice to hear my own voice, not some barking, when I talk.

A girl in a blue dress came from the back of the Center. Zorua's fur bristled, but then she bent to pet Sarah, and he relaxed. People who petted Pokemon were not mean.

However, his ears twitched when the man spoke, tone as if he was blaming Sarah for something. Why was he doing that? Sarah hadn't done anything bad! He took a deep breath, and reminded himself he was a big boy now. He might be only half the size of his fully-grown sister, but if he was going to start battle training, he had to prove he could at least defend his friends.

He jumped from behind Sarah, glaring at the man with the jacket. "Don't be mean to Sarah! You creep!" he exclaimed, head held high but tail laying low. He saw the mean Pokemon-man through the door and took a step to the side, so the girl with the blue dress was hiding Zorua from him, before turning to continue glaring at the jacket man.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I do count with my whole memory," Pooch commented, smiling as she trotted to stand next to Rhapsody.

"So you cheat," he said back, though without bite in his voice.

Fia transformed back, and Rhapsody had to admit being accustomed to the human form was a pretty big advantage considering the time limit on their other one. He'd rather not change how it was for him, though. If she was falling all over the place as an Arcanine, there was no way she'd be a decent battler until she mastered it. And he'd rather have firepower before control.

Pooch barked approvingly at the girl. "Nice one! Since the two of you are new at this, we should stay here for a few days until you have a bit more of experience."

The male raised an eyebrow. "Since when are you the one that decides who comes with us?"

"I know you don't have anything against it so don't start. We're helping Z and Fia as long as we're in Kusba and that's final," she huffed, making him roll his eyes. Though it was true that having someone else smacking their faces against the ground would make Pooch leave him alone, and he could use the time to train.

"That aside," the Houndour continued, tilting her head. "Didn't you find anything when going into town?"

"Didn't ask," he said, shrugging. He had been too busy deciding if he should tear that gas ball apart to worry about whatever the hell helix was.

She didn't seem to take kindly that it had slipped his mind, her look a perfect definition of the expression 'why am I not surprised'. She growled in a way that was half a groan, and looked at Z and Fia apologetically. "The sooner we know what's going on, the better. Would you two mind coming into town too to ask? Z, you can be a Porygon-Z for this, it would be better than staying human."

Okay. So she was a Mawile before she lost her memory. That certainly disproved that she'd been a trainer before. Well, better to know that had been a complete lie than be uncertain of if it were true or not. Shaking her head, Gaes lightly tapped her tiny fingers against her chin, thinking.

Being a Pokemon also explained why she didn't know how to read. Figuring that, it was unlikely that any learned skills were completely forgotten upon her loss of memory. That was reassuring. It meant she knew how to survive on her own.

Right?

She hoped so, at least.

Could she return to that human form? Probably. It was now just a question as to how. For the time being, however, it seemed like she was stuck as a Pokemon. She didn't know for how long though and she certainly couldn't stay in the bathroom waiting. So she crossed her fingers in silent hope that no one would realize a human had entered but only a Pokemon left.

Walking to the door, she frowned at how high up the handle was. Time to be creative then. Gaes turned and, after a moment of making sure she was aligned correctly, she stretched out the pair of jaws that had sprouted from her head. The maw clamped onto the door handle (albeit a little awkwardly) and she pulled the door open, quickly wedging the maw into the opening to keep the door from shutting until she was completely through.

First obstacle cleared, the Mawile peered around the corner, examining the lobby area. Lambert was gone from the computer, at the entrance with Liz and a couple of Pokemon. The tiny black and red one disappeared from sight a moment later, hidden by Liz as she pet the white and blue thing. It took awhile but Gaes eventually recognized it as an Absol. She didn't recall seeing one before but she'd heard of some sort of tale about them. What was it? Didn't they ward off destruction and bring good luck?

It didn't matter anyways. They were all blocking the doorway so that dashed out the hope of leaving the building without being spotted. What should she do then? There was a risk of someone spotting her anywhere within the Poke Center.

Her stomach grumbled and she wrapped her arms around her midriff. Finding something to eat was kind of important. Maybe she could just charm her way into getting a meal and worry about her next course of action later. But who to approach? Lambert and Liz were busy. Mr. Sour was out of the question, as was Mr. Try-Hard Kage. And, frankly, the nurse had been bothered enough by her today. So maybe one of the clerks? (Though... She hadn't seen anyone else that might have been a worker here.)

Well, better to go out now than try and wait things out. Since mostly everyone inside the Center was busy at the doorway, there wasn't anyone at the counters. Quietly, Gaes shuffled out from behind the corner and made her way to the counter at the left side of the building. She hoped they sold the food at this counter and not the other, she didn't want to have to walk everywhere. Tiny legs made travel feel so much longer!

Reaching the counter, Gaes could overhear the conversation at the doorway. From what she could see, everyone had their backs to her, making it easy to eavesdrop without being noticed. "My... I don't recall seeing you come in recently. You must belong to one of the trainers then."

Gaes jumped at the sound of a gentle voice behind her and, twisting around, she recognized the nurse. "Oh, uh... Actually-"

"Are you looking for something?" The woman asked, smiling as she looked down at the Mawile.

Nodding, Gaes rubbed her stomach. "I'm hungry, actually. Is there anything I can eat here?" As she spoke, she mimed eating something and the nurse appeared to understand her gesturing.

"Oh! Of course! Here," the woman offered, pulling a plain looking poffin from her apron pocket. Handing it to Gaes, the woman smiled uncertainly. "I don't know what flavor you like best so hopefully you don't mind a sweet treat."

Sniffing it once, Gaes took a bite. Sure enough, the poffin was really sweet but at least it didn't turn her away from finishing it. Nodding quickly to reassure the nurse, the Mawile held up a tiny hand. "Thank you! It was good!"

Although, I would have liked something less sweet...

The nurse was happy though and left with a smile on her face, leaving Gaes alone. Glancing at the group gathered at the door, she decided it best to sit somewhere out of sight while she listened in.

Z stood silently, processing the information as it came. So, assuming that they did in fact have normal lives before, humans could be pulled into this game as well, receiving a Pokemon transformation for the second rule. As for the fact that they and Fia awoke within two hours of each other, while Rhapsody had been here for six days... could it be that players were being chosen more frequently as time went on? Extrapolating backwards, it'd explain in part why they hadn't even heard of such an ability before. No, it would be absurd to conclude that from only three data points, especially given the gigantic inherent bias in having met the other two. There could be a hundred others out there, as far as they knew. Still not enough information, then. They were beginning to get used to this feeling of frustrated confusion, which they supposed wasn't a good thing.

Pooch spoke up again, this time with a plan. She seemed to want to help them and Fia for some reason, and Rhapsody was actually listening to her. Not knowing why was a little unsettling, but they were in no position to be picky at the moment. "Right - sure," they nodded at her. What had she said - think about transforming to do it? They uncurled their hands from around the branch and let them fall to their sides. They pictured their Pokemon form, and a few seconds later they felt themself rising into the air as their limbs shifted into the more familiar arrangement.

Rising a bit higher into the air, they took the chance to do that diagnostic. Everything was as functional as could be expected. The extra moves Rhapsody mentioned did exist, having apparently simply been added to the end of the list despite making it exceed its maximum allowable size. As for that to-do list...

They froze for a second, hanging limp in the air. They checked it again: the same as before. Most of the items on it were perfectly normal, but the ones they'd added while in human form seemed strangely unclear, as if they were corrupted or lightly encoded. It wasn't difficult to clean up and they did so, editing the entry, but as they checked the rest of their memories, it seemed that everything they learned while human had the same strange fuzzy quality to it.

They quickly went through everything, replacing bad entries with cleaned versions. They'd been uncomfortable before just thinking about the implications of entirely organic memory, but to see it laid out so physically like this was infinitely worse. They were going to have to stay in human form most of the time; were they going to have to spend several seconds deciphering their own memories every time they switched back? Would the effect bleed over to their other memories if they stayed human too long? They twitched. Well. They'd find out. It wasn't as if they could do anything about it. Or much else. They turned silently to face Rhapsody, waiting for him to get going.

Elizabeth shifted her attention to the darker colored foxlike Pokémon as it ran out from behind its friend. She hadn't even seen it yet. When it opened up its mouth she listened expectantly, wondering if it was going to say its species name.

"Don't be mean to Sarah! You creep!"

She blinked. Either this Pokémon had a rather coincidental name or it just spoke. She was fairly sure it was the latter. "Hey, he's actually really nice! You shouldn't yell at him. But... how did you learn to talk in the first place?"

Rennaj sat and thought to himself as the man walked away, mulling it over. That's way too far away for any normal form of travel... Perhaps I need to use a non-Pokémon way to travel. These humans have so many strange devices they use for that. He stopped, coming across a thought that bugged him. Something that really didn't have any likely explanation that he knew of but one. Standing up, he walked over to Lambert and fixed him with a piercing stare. "I never said anything about destroying the evidence. Why did you bring it up?"

Edited by Dorchadas