PureDark006

Choice, a Pokemon Shifters RP

"I told you this was a bad idea!"

"No it wasn't! You're having fun!"

"I am not! Running for my life is not fun!"

"Oh stop complaining already!"

Figures darted around the corner of a building, avoiding a rolling pin as it clattered against the ground instead of a pair of heads. Angry shouting followed them but quickly faded with distance as the Infernape and Chespin made their getaway, arms loaded with stolen food. A Razz berry fell free from the Chespin's paw, splattering on the concrete. The small, brown and green Pokémon silently lamented about the lost treat but didn't risk turning back to check salvageability. "Ah!" A hand yanked him sideways, causing him to lose his footing for a few heartbeats.

"This way!" the Infernape hissed, ducking behind trashcans. A flair of light surrounded him and boy stood hunched where the Pokémon used to be. Kim was grinning, breathing heavily, and wiping sweat away from his forehead. When everything was clear, he started laughing, falling to sit on the ground with his back supported by a trashcan. "That was great! Let's feast! Tomorrow, we'll do that again," he exclaimed, gleeful.

Chespin wasn't so sure, frowning at his trainer as the flame-haired boy snatched up a looted bread roll and took a hungry bite. "Can we not? Or, maybe you can get Ralts to do it instead of me? I don't think I could handle another heart attack..."

Kim shook his head furiously. "No, Ralts is won't do it. She's no fun anyways," he replied, shoveling more bread into his mouth. Swallowing, he took a second to catch his breath more before reaching for a handful of berries. "Besides, you keep up with me better." It sounded like a compliment.

Still doubtful, Chespin sighed and plopped down next to the boy. "Well... Alright. But we don't take more than what we need, okay? I don't want to get chased out of Taismog when we just got here..." Guiltily, the small Pokémon picked up a Pinap berry and began to munch on it. "So what are you planning on doing now that we're here?"

Finishing his berries, Kim scratched the back of his head, humming with thought. "Don't know. I guess we'll just walk around and see what's here. Maybe find someone with answers about this 'players' situation." The boy shrugged, dropping his hand into his lap and resting his head back against the trashcan.

What he really wanted to do was get back home, wherever that was. Since that second dream he had, with the memory, he had the nagging feeling that someone was missing him, like a family member or two. It irritated him that he couldn't even decently remember the memory but he remembered the woman clear as day. Growling faintly, he rubbed at his face quickly and stood up, taking a few moments to stuff the rest of the food into his backpack. "Let's go."

He started walking, leaving Chespin to scramble and catch up. "Why are you angry now?"

"I'm not."

"Yes you are."

"No, I'm not."

"You are too! You're growling at me!"

Kim stopped abruptly, pivoting on his heel to glower down at the Chespin. "I am not! But you're going to make me angry if you keep asking!" He continued moving, stomping with each step. Truthfully, he didn't want to let Chespin know he was bothered. That would only cause more questions, ones he didn't have answers to right now.

"Hey! Look out!" Chespin shouted, sprinting to catch up.

The boy wasn't paying attention, rolling his eyes as he looked behind him at the Pokémon and -

And ran into another boy around his age. Stumbling back a step, Kim turned his glare onto the new obstacle and scowled. "Hey, watch where you're going!" he snapped.

Jack smiled as they finally found the path that lead to the one twin Regina was talking about. 'Are you sure it's safe?’ Sark asked. 'Pretty sure,’ Jack thought back. 'You want to float for a bit?’ 'Sure, why not?’ Sark replied before Jack looked around to make sure there weren't any people around. They put the things on their feet in the bag as it hurts their feet. They found floating much easier, although Sark hardly said a word except telepathy to Jack. He would just float and stare. Every now and then, Sark would move his eye, but then go back to staring. It made Jack wonder what had happen to him. Jack picked up the bag before floating towards the path. Sark was his usual quiet self as they floated.

“Found you!” a voice said. They turned to see a girl coming out of the bushes. “I thought I saw a Doublade roaming around.” Both blades unsheathed themselves. 'I knew this was a bad idea,’ Sark though. 'Relax,’ Jack said, wrapping their ribbon around Sark protectively. From there, the girl sent out a Squirtle. Sark wanted to laugh. Was this girl a rookie? They quickly launched themselves at the Squirtle with an Iron Head, knocking the Squirtle out. “Eep,” the girl said, pulling it a Pokeball and throwing it at Sark and Jack.

Like before, the Pokeball hit them and bounced off. Jack and Sark looked at the Pokeball before looking up at the girl who returned her Squirtle and ran off. “That was fun,” Jack said sarcastically.

----------------------

Zoey smirked as a guy with a Pidgeotto challenged her. This was actually pretty fun to Zoey and it was pretty fun to her. Plus she could lend Globbers out to Lambert if he needed him. “Use Psyshock!” Zoey commanded as Globbers nodded before sending little balls of psychic energy at the bird. “Dodge it!” the trainer commanded. The Pidgeotto dodged the orbs. “Now use Wing Attack!” “Reflect!” Zoey said. A wall of light appeared, the Wing Attack hit the barrier, reducing the damaged to Globbers. “Psyshock!” Globbers released three more balls of psychic energy and this time it did hit the Pidgeotto and it fell. “Pidgeotto!” the trainer said worriedly. “Again!” Zoey said. Globbers nodded before he did Psyshock again, making the Pidgeotto faint. “Hey, that was a good battle,” the guy said, smiling as they both returned their respective Pokemon. “It's obvious you're Solosis is powerful.” “You weren't to shabby yourself,” Zoey said, grinning.

Zoey and the guy shook hands before Zoey turned and went to find another trainer. She was really pumped up to fight. She stood, leaning against the wall of a building, scanning around to see who wanted to battle. It was then a girl came over. "That is the ugliest outfit I've ever seen," the girl sneered at her. "Oh yeah?" Zoey snarked back. "Well, I'm surprised anyone can look at you without getting dizzy from the stripes." "Why you," the girl said, feeling mocked. "Lets battle! Go Buneary!" Zoey raised her eyebrows when a small little brown rabbit pokemon with big, fluffy ears came out of the Pokeball. "Ugh, now what?" the Buneary asked, almost annoyed. "Can't this human go five minutes without insulting someone?" "Globbers!" Zoey said, releasing Globbers again. "Ew, what is that thing!?" the girl said, staring at Globbers in disgust. "Psyshock!" Zoey growled in annoyance. "Yes ma'am," Globbers replied before releasing the three balls of light at the Buneary, who simply took the attack.

"Huh, oh wait," the girl said. "Quick Attack." The Buneary nodded before running fast at Globbers. "Reflect," Zoey said. A flash of yellow light came in front of Globbers, reducing the damage of Buneary's Quick Attack. "Dizzy Punch!" the girl shouted. "Psyshock!" Zoey called out. The Buneary raised it's paw back to punch Globbers, but was engulfed in a blue light. "What the-!?" the Buneary asked before it got flung. "Awesome! You learned Psychic Globbers!" Zoey said smiling. "Yay!" Globbers said, his eyes closed in a happy expression. "Frustration!" the girl screamed at her Buneary. The Buneary launched itself to let out all its frustration at Globbers. "Reflect," Zoey said, but Globbers was sent flying a bit. "Recover, followed by Psychic!" Globbers took a moment before to let his body glow a bit. "Dizzy Punch!" the girl screamed. The Buneary never got the chance to move as Globbers sent it flying, making it pass out. "Maybe if you treat your Pokemon with respect, they'll listen to you." Zoey collected the money from the girl before turning and leaving, returning Globbers in the process.

Zoey then went to another place and waited. Just one more battle was all she needed. The announcement said that the city was now free to explore entirely and she was eager to meet the gym leader. "Just one more," Zoey muttered, looking around. Her desire was answered when a guy walked over to her. "You looking for a fight?" the guy asked. "I'll gladly give it to ya." He then released a Furret. Zoey released Globbers. "Quick Attack," the man ordered. "Reflect," Zoey said, the yellow screen reducing the damage once again. "Shadow Ball," the man said. "Dodge it and use Psychic!" Zoey commanded. Globbers quickly dodged the black ball before lifting the Furret in a blue aura. It flung back a bit, it's paws digging into the ground. "Quick Attack!" the man ordered. The Furret launched itself towards Globbers. "Light Screen," Zoey said as Globbers used Light Screen, reducing the damage yet again. "Endeavor!" Globbers then hit the Furret with his Endeavor attached, making it slide. "Recover!" Globbers then healed himself up. "Now finish it off with Psychic!" Globbers nodded before the Furret tried to dodge it, but failed, in which it got knocked out. "Good job Furret, return," the man said, concerned for his Furret before Globbers was engulfed in a bright light.

Zoey seemed a bit shocked that Globbers was evolving, but happy at the same time. Globbers finished his evolution as he looked happily up at Zoey. "Well, then," Zoey said. "What are you now?" "That'd be a Dousion," the guy replied. "And congratulations on the win." "Thank you," Zoey said, thanking him. She smiled at Globbers. "Let's go meet the others at the statue." "Alright!" Globbers said in his girly voice.

-------------

Zoey and Globbers, who was now a Dousion, decided to head back over to the Poliwrath statue. She already saw Lambert and Rap already there. She looked back to see Globbers floating, looking up in the sky. “Globbers?” Zoey asked, raising an eyebrow. “Sorry, I have a second brain and it obviously want to do to, like something,” Globbers replied. Zoey rolled her eyes before continuing to walk. Lambert seemed to be fixed on something so she turned to look to see a lady standing in the water. “Why is she standing in the water?” Globbers whispered to Zoey. “She is so weird, yet it intrigues me. Can I go over there?” “Ah, no,” Zoey replied, rolling her eyes once again.

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

Z hurried toward the meeting place, anxiously wringing their hands together. Two days straight of travelling had been unpleasant for the small and markedly unathletic shifter, especially given the frustratingly vague memory of a trainer and a small unmarked CD that now haunted their dreams, but all of that had melted away the moment they saw the gigantic sprawling city of Fastfall on the horizon. Even with most of the city blocked off, there were almost a dozen museums to visit, not to mention historical monuments and other attractions. The noise, the crowds, and even their own project with Rhapsody were forgotten as they dragged said unwilling companion through the city, gawking at every little detail.

Now that they were thinking clearly, they quietly berated themself for doing something so incredibly stupid. Rhapsody was not the kind of person to stand there and admire anything's historical significance for more than a few seconds; they were lucky he went along with it at all. So when the announcement distracted them from a particularly interesting set of rock samples just long enough to look up and realize he was long gone - well, they deserved that.

The fountain came into view. Z felt a twinge of annoyance on seeing Rhapsody already standing there, but nevertheless took their place at the man's side without a word. Lambert and Zoey were there too, their gazes focused on a woman with her feet in the fountain. Z blinked. Strange attire and behaviour, almost as if the human wasn't sure how to be a human - well, that was familiar. They'd thought that whatever force was creating the shifters had stopped, since they hadn't encountered another one since leaving Vertia, but perhaps it had just been a matter of population density after all. They tugged on Rhapsody's sleeve, hoping the woman hadn't noticed them staring. "Hey - is she...?"

Rhapsody greeted the other shifters with a 'Hey', putting his hands in his pockets (he had decided that was his 'default' now, considering he still didn't know what to do with them while idle and other positions that restricted their use like what Lambert was doing were uncomfortable). Seemed Zoey had been busy training, judging by how her floating blue gelball was now a Duosion. Their small bicker made him look at the thing they were staring at; a woman who looked around Lambert's age or younger, with fancy looking purple and black clothes, her feet resting inside the water.

Was the fountain for washing only? Well, that at least explained why people had given him weird looks yesterday when he drank from it. Waste of water, in his opinion.

He felt a tug in his sleeve; Z had somehow arrived while Rhapsody had been staring, and had positioned themselves right next to him without him noticing. Arceus, he needed to either stop spacing out or put a bell on the kid.

...Yeah, definitely the bell. He was not getting comfortable enough around the group to lower his guard around them.

"Is she what?" he asked, not really getting what the kid had meant. All he thought was that the woman's hatred for everything around her was relatable. Rhapsody had thought Kusba was unnecessarily huge and Vertia was massive, but Fastfall had shown how severely he had underestimated the size of the settlements humans could make. And that wasn't even mentioning how a big chunk of the buildings were tall enough to obscure the sky, or how he had seen more humans in his first hour here than in the rest of time as a shifter combined.

"Me and Globbers could go ask!" Tusk piped up, one of his arms raised as he looked between the shifters. "Normal humans wouldn't understand us, if we keep it down we can make sure!"

Dammerung yelped, falling on his backside. "Ouch!" The stone path made it sting, and the shifter got up awkwardly.

He managed to push himself off the ground and get into a standing posistion, but he kept wantong to stand on all fours.

Then the oddly dressed boy scowled and snapped, "Hey, watch where you're going!"

Dammerung's skin prickled at the tone. If he had been in Umbreon form, his hackles would surely have been up to tell the boy to back off if he wasn't suppressing them like usual9. As a human, he settled for giving the other boy a look that said Would you please back off? I don't like your tone. and then quickly averting his gaze.

He replied, "I think you were the one who crashed into me. Pretty sure I was just standing around and then you snap at me after running into me."

The Umbreon shifter really didn't know averted eyes were consudered rude when you spoke amongst humans - as a canine Pokémon, looking directly into another's eyes was considered a invitation to battle as it was a rather rude and arrogant gesture.

Edited by Dusky_Flareon

Ellie sat down, exhausted by her efforts of trying to walk. She gingerly rubbed her muzzle with her paw, trying to calm herself down. She thought as hard as she could. She didn't know where she was - a wooded area definitely - but not one she was familiar with. Indeed, all the native pokemon watched her curiously, whispering amongst themselves. She found a pair of pidgey to be particularly loud in their gossip.

Then it hit her. She could understand pokemon! Excitedly, she stood up suddenly staring at the world before her when a blinding flash of light engulfed her. When it died down she stood, once more human, on her legs and wobbled. The time spent as a vulpix disoriented her enough that as she stumbled towards a tree, the same gossipy bird pokemon chortled at her human ineptitudes. However, the distressing thoughts of amnesia, games, and missions fled her mind. She could understand pokemon!

"Hello, can you understand me," she rasped, her vocal chords not used to changing, or being used it would appear. The birds stopped in that instant and faced her, their heads swiveling back and forth, interest caught."Yes, I'm talking to you two pidgey right there, who were talking about my inability to stand."

Instead of talking to her, they fled, dust kicked up behind them all the while screeching about the girl who understood them. She couldn't do anything but cough and flail her arms about, keeping the offending particles from her eyes. When she looked up, all the curious pokemon from before had fled, apparently uncomfortable with a human who can understand them. And that they can understand clearly, the thought floated through Ellie's mind.

"I only wanted to know which was to the nearest town," the young woman exclaimed.

Unfortunately, nothing surrounded her. Not even the chirping of a kricketune filled the background silence. A frustrated Ellie flopped against the tree trunk and, after a moment's deliberation, chose a direction and to move forward. 'She stumbled around the dark wood, flailing her arms about as she tried to keep her bipedal balance from falling prey to the hidden rocks and roots of the forest floor. Unfortunately, she tripped and a bright light cocooned her once more. Her eyes opened and revealed her as a vulpix once more.

She huffed and continued her journey towards whatever direction she chose. On occasion, she would scent the air, fascinated by how sensitive her nose was in this form. Of course, as she stumbled on four legs, often tripping on a paw or one of her voluminous tails which would lead her to crash into something. After such a collision, she found herself abruptly shifted into her human form and, once more, kept on walking towards somewhere.

The hidden obstacles of the forest, be it a low hanging branch, a suddenly appearing gnarled root, or boulders she couldn't couldn't see, kept her tripping over her feet. Which, inevitably, resulted in a constant switch between human and vulpine. All the while, she called out and tried to start conversations with the woodland pokemon. However, her overtures, it never mattered if she started as a vulpix or human, would end with a panicked dash.

All she wanted to know was where the nearest town or pokecenter was, which was perfectly reasonable. Heck, she would take a hunting lodge at this point in time. Just as her pattern of change became predictable (trip, fall, curse, change, repeat), so did the pokemon's reaction towards her. They started off jeering, gossiping and all together making fun of tamed pokemon. Then she would change, and they would fall silent. Ellie would ask for help or directions, and then they'd flee.

She had no clue how long this painful, frustrating cycle of events occurred, but she could swear the trees were thinning out. More light shone through the thick canopy of leaves. There were more ratattas chattering at her, and less kukuna and metapods snickering from their perch on the trees. She turned the bend and found what had to be a disused dirt path, and a wooden sign in the distance.

Relief flooded her. If there was a sign, there was bound to be civilization. Humans, people, a pokecenter, she'd take any of it right now. She took off, not thinking to look where she stepped, which is how a last, large root tripped her. Instead of falling flat on her face, she began to roll, head over feet forward until she slammed into a tree near the sign. The tell tale light surrounded her for the umpteenth time that day. She teetered side to side, eyes spinning, mumbling words until she rested against the base of the wooden sign.

"You wouldn't happen to know where the closest town is, would you?" the dizzy vulpix asked the Seviper, slowly beginning to regain her balance from the barrel roll.

Edited by MyWhiteKnight

"Look! There it is!!!", Frost said excitedly when Fastfall city became visible in the distance.

"You call that a village?" March asked, still walking towards the huge city Frost wanted him to go to.

"Well, it's not small, but that's not a problem, is it?"

"I just expected something smaller when you said it was a village."

Continuing their conversation, they walked further towards the city. The closer they got, the bigger the buildings seemed to become, and the more excited Frost got for sure. Eventually they made it to the gate. Once they entered the city, they heard an anouncement of sorts: "Citizens and visitors of Fastfall City, this is an official announcement from Fastfall's police department. As of now, the parts of the city that had been closed off for filming are accessible to the general public again. The southern, eastern and western areas are no longer off-limits. We apologize for any inconvenience caused, and please enjoy your stay."

So they were in Fastfall city, a place March had never heard of before. Not wanting to get lost in a city as big as this, he approached someone on the street to ask the way to the Pokémon Center. The woman gave a detailed description of the fastest route and March thanked her for her help and walked the exact route the woman had described. Somewhat relieved it actually brought him to a Pokémon Center, he went inside and to the main counter. Seeing as he was new in the area, the nurse offered him a town map, which he gladly recieved. Walking back outside, he found a discarded pokéball on the ground, which he used to capture his Snorunt. It was all formality, but capturing a pokémon was, after all, simple symbolism for starting to build up a bond with it. In the eyes of March, that is.

Now thrilled to explore the city, knowing that with this map he won't get lost that easily, he went to one of the places that the nurse in the Pokémon Center mentioned as one of the most well-known landmarks of the city: a huge Poliwrath statue that also seemed to be a fountain. In the fountain stood a woman, and several other people were looking at her. He picked up what an Axew said to one of them. It said that "normal humans" wouldn't be able to hear it... He surely got curious now, but he wasn't confident enough to just straightout ask what "normal humans" meant and why the woman in the fountain would qualify for being, whatever they call someone who is not a "normal human", so he kept watching from a distance, hoping one of the people in this scene would notice him.

Edited by Felixr2

The journey through the caves wasn't as bad as Cassandra expected. Although they wasted a good half-hour trying to convince Allison's new Aerodactyl to return into his pokeball for the sake of saving space within the cramped confines of the cavern-- which failed anyway, and thus more than once Cass found herself pressed up against the rough hide of Aero's hind end during their excursion-- they made good enough time to emerge, blinking and slightly disoriented from the blaze of sunlight, a couple days later on a path that led to Taismog. The journey was eventful enough: Jasper ended up waddling off somewhere deeper into the caves in search of the Steelix that they'd overheard a passing trainer speak of in the Pokemon Center the morning of their departure. Unfortunately, that meant their group lost Garrett as a companion, which Cass (and likely Anhew) were none too pleased about. In order to soothe the blind girl, Cass spent as much time on their trip as a Pyroar to give Anhew a ride as to make better time. It was during a night where Cass-the-Pyroar was curled up around Anhew that she got wind of a Pokemon tailing them. She noticed the scent follow them through the cavern, until finally, after fending off a surly Machop from the group, a small fox came skittering out of no where and collided head-on into Cassandra's leg. It took Cass a moment to recognize the Pokemon as a Fennekin, for its fur was a dazzling silver. The fox was adamant about staying with their group and found more than one excuse to curl up around Cassandra during the night, regardless if she was a Pyroar or a human. Cass was more than pleased to have another to look after, and it took no convincing on her part to get the Fennekin to be caught by the Premier Ball she'd found back in Vertia.

Once they had exited the caves and the signs of human activity became apparent on the trail, Cassandra and Allison spent some of their down-time training their new Pokemon. Aero was unforgiving with fighting, but Allison's stern commands were somehow enough to earn his obedience-- for the most part. Cass's Fennekin was eager to learn, but still timid during actual battle, and it took quite a while before the shiny Pokemon gained enough confidence to actually win a fight. By the time that their group stumbled across a Skiddo, her Fennekin was able to subdue it enough to allow Cass to catch it for Anhew.

As soon as they made it to Taismog, Cass bee-lined for the Pokemon center for a nice, hot shower. Allison waited behind with Anhew, having finally managed to get Aero to stay in his Pokeball for once, and then switched with Cass once the redhead emerged fresh and rejuvinated from the back rooms. Even her Fennekin was sleek and glossy, as Cassandra insisted on giving him a bath. "Why don't we explore a little bit?" Cass suggested, smiling down at Anhew, despite the fact the girl wouldn't see it. "Let's go see if we can find that path what'-his-name was talking about." She set off through Taismog, admiring some of the buildings as she went, including a cool bar with a Seviper decal. It took a few minutes, but finally she noticed a sign on the far end of the town with a sign post hammered into the ground. She stopped short of the sign, and only managed to read the name of the pathway before calling out to Anhew, "Hey! I think this is the way we're supposed to go!"

Allison managed to catch up to them at that point, her white hair loose around her shoulders to obscure the black-colored undercut. It was still wet and clung to the sides of her neck where the Joltik peeked out at the rest of them from. She pointed at the sign again, and then at the two Pokemon not too far away. "Doesn't look like we're allowed through," she commented plainly, as though unbothered by this development.

Cass frowned and looked over at the Pokemon, whom she hadn't noticed. The Fennekin in her arms wiggled slightly as if astonished by the sight of them. "Hey, you two," she called, thumbing toward the sign. "What's this about?"

[s*] Fennekin (Dagaz), [Premier Ball], Male, Timid, Blaze, Psyshock/Flamethrower/Hypnosis/Flame Charge

Edited by Shiny Hazard Sign

Cedric was in the middle of yawning when he felt footsteps somewhere behind him. "Wait, what the heck?" he thought, turning to see a woman dressed in brown and cream stumbling out of the forest. How had she gotten there? Did she come from the other side?

As he was staring, the woman tripped, rolling in a very much video-worthy manner before slamming into a tree, the impact making a couple of leaves dislodge themselves and float gently to the ground.

Really, he'd have laughed for the next millennium if the woman hadn't evolved into a Vulpix right in front of his eyes.

The Seviper froze in place, still coiled around the sign, mouth slightly open with his tongue hanging a bit from it as he stared at the Fire-type. The fox slowly stood up, noticing him and asking something, but he did not get a single word, brain still too caught up on what he had seen. He closed his mouth and opened it a few times, very much gaping like a Magikarp until a new voice finally snapped him out of his stupor.

"Hey, you two. What's this about?" While he had been gaping, a pair of women and a girl had approached from the town side. Trainers, by the look of it.

Thinking of trainers... of course. Humans couldn't evolve into Pokémon, that was impossible. The 'Vulpix' was probably a Ditto or something.

Cedric cleared his throat, looking at the silver fox one of the women was carrying while tapping the sign with his tail. "Tell your humans no one's allowed to enter the forest. Trainers have been disappearing in there lately, and until that's taken care of no one can go in without the Gym Leader's permission." He uncoiled himself from around the sign, stretching. "You can find him in the building next to the Gym. 'S the one with the earrings, can't miss him."

That taken care of, he glanced at the 'Vulpix', tongue flicking out. "Sorry, didn't catch what you said. Needed anything?" Oh drats, the tongue flicking reminded him of how hungry he was. He could taste the goods of the bakery around the corner, and something nearby smelled like berries. His stomach growled a little but he ignored it, telling himself he just needed to wait a little bit more until his replacement came.

For the past several days, Gaes wasn't in the best of moods it seemed. Something about that dream had bothered her and the feeling caused by it lingered longer than it should have. Mostly, she was upset or displease about... something. She couldn't remember correctly. Fat lot of good the Dream Woman did, revealing a piece of her memory just so she couldn't remember it all.

But there was a trainer. She had a trainer - that much was certain. It explained why she was comfortable with battling, how she knew the rules and mechanics even if she didn't have words to place. It still bothered her to know end to not understand why she was upset. Naturally, she took that frustration out on the others. Particularly Lambert and Rhapsody in the guise of pranks.

On their way to Fastfall City, Gaes had attempted to convince Rhapsody into believing that the proper way of greeting people was to scream in their face and kick their shins, maybe punch their face if they made eye contact. Of course, it was only acceptable if you didn't know the person. Otherwise, someone was likely to see the lack of screaming as a romantic gesture and proceed to kiss you. (Though, she didn't say any of this while Pooch and Lambert were about.) She had yet to find out if her fable was a success or not.

At some point, she chose to break away from the group, assuring them that she would catch up later. During this time, she let Bree free of his Poké Ball so she had someone to talk to. He wasn't good with giving any sort of advice beyond "eat some berries and feel better!" but he at least listened. A feeling of inadequacy nagged at her when she was around Lambert, contrasted by the urge to please and be his favorite out of the group. It wasn't because he was her trainer but she couldn't put her finger on it. Either way, it made her even more distressed so she needed the time away from the others.

Maybe unfortunately, she ran into a young Phanpy. On impulse, Gaes decided a battle would help her relax a little and trapped the Pokémon in a battle. It only took a Play Rough and a couple Iron Heads before the Phanpy was down and Gaes could throw a Poké Ball at it. In no time, she added Annie to her team, thrilled with the Phanpy's Pickup ability.

Catching up with the others some hours later, Gaes stayed hidden until the last moment where she jumped out and snapped at Lambert with the giant jaws behind her head in an attempt to startle him. Much to her amusement, Lambert jumped. Pleased with herself, Gaes promised not to cause too much trouble when they reached Fastfall. Of course “too much trouble” was a subjective phrase and could be interpreted in any number of ways.

For the next two days, she walked around the City. Or, at least, explored what she had access to (with the exception of sneaking into a few blocked off areas and nearly getting caught in one). The Contest Hall had her full attention whenever she passed it, the large building looming over her with a powerful sense of familiarity. When she wasn’t exploring the place, she was challenging or being challenged by a couple of trainers.

She had two battles during the wait. The first trainer only had two Pokémon: a Butterfree and a Beedrill. A double battle was the decided way to go but Annie had a tough time trying to take down the flying bug-types. Still, Gaes’s team was victorious. On the second day, Gaes was challenged by a young man who had a single Nidoking to make up his party. The Nidoking took down Bree but, after all the damage he suffered, Annie was able to finish the battle with a victory.

Now she was listening to a woman explain that the city was reopening over the speaker system as she made her way towards the Poliwrath fountain. By the time she finally bothered to show up, the rest of the group had already arrived. “Okay, I’m here,” she announced, coming to a stop and resting a hand on her hip. Her red eyes drifted towards the fancily dressed woman sitting with her feet in the fountain water. Gaes noted the scowl on the stranger’s face and decided it was best not to comment.

[[Phanpy (Annie), Poké Ball, Female, Hasty [+ Speed, - Defense], Pickup, Charm/Take Down/Growl/Bulldoze]]

The trip to Taismog was probably a lot shorter then what Anhew was expecting. When she first stepped in the cave, however, she felt at home. It eased her mind and made her super relaxed. Aero, Allison’s Pokemon, would often stay out of his Pokeball, leaving a very cramped space. She desperately wanted to tell him off, but was afraid he'd bite her head off if she did. Then, she wanted to cry when Jasper left the group, taking Sweet Voice with him. Why? Because of a Steelix, whatever that was. If Cass didn't offer to let her ride her back as a Pokémon, Anhew probably wouldn't have gotten any sleep that night. Often times, Anhew felt Cass curl around her as she slept. It was during these times when Cass caught what she called a Fennekin called Dagaz. Dagaz was pleasant enough, much more pleasant than Aero. Shortly afterwards, she felt her foot hit something. She hand to feel around before she found the object she was looking for. She gave it to Cass who explained it was a Pokeball.

One day, Anhew sniffed the air, the made it out of the cave. Part of Anhew was sad that they couldn't stay a bit longer, but she understood the need. Cass and Allison wouldn't like to live in the caves. It was outside the tunnels when Anhew heard a clip clop sound. Her heart almost soared. She was hoping it was Sweet Voice, that some reason, Jasper let her go. But then her heart fell when she realized the clip clops sounded different than Sweet Voice. But it did draw enough attention to get Cass' attention. Something about a Skiddo. What was a Skiddo? Cass battled it with Dagaz before carefully convincing the Skiddo to join Anhew.

The Skiddo bleated when Cass, in her human form, answered him directly. He flicked his ears before looking up at Anhew. She was looking down slightly, but not at him. He looked more closely at her. She was blind. He broke out into a smile a bit before nodding at Cass who then tapped him with the Pokeball Anhew found before placing the ball in Anhew's hands. She pressed the button to release the Skiddo. “Well, hello, and I am honored to be your eye seeing Pokemon,” the Skiddo said, slightly bowing towards Anhew. “Now, have you ever ridden a Pokémon before?”

“Ridden?” Anhew asked, looking a bit confused. “Ah, well, have no fear my dear,” Skiddo said, moving over to Anhew before folding his front legs before folding his back legs so he could lie down. “It'll be simple as a berry...I hope. Now, to ride a Pokémon, you need to grab my horn.” “Won't it hurt you?” Anhew asked. “Nonsense!” Skiddo said. “It won't hurt me at all.” Anhew shakily moved her hand after putting the Pokeball in her pocket and tried to grab the horn of Skiddo. It took her a few seconds, along with Cass' help, to find the horn. “Now then, lift your right leg up and over my body.” Anhew gulped a bit nervously, but slowly moved her right leg over Skiddo’s body. When she felt that her foot was planted firmly on the ground, she could feel the Skiddo's body in between her legs. “Alright, I'm going to lift myself up,” Skiddo said, uncurling his front legs, before standing up completely, lifting Anhew off the ground. “Eep!” Anhew squeaked as she felt Cass move her hand onto the other horn. The Skiddo flicked his ears. “Whenever you're ready, just lightly tap your heel on my body,” Skiddo said.

“Ready for what?” Anhew asked a bit nervous. “Ready to move,” Skiddo replied. “O-oh,” Anhew said. She then lightly tapped her left foot on Skiddo's body. Skiddo carefully and slowly let Anhew get used to riding on him as he took it on hoof at a time. “So, you care to give me a name?” Skiddo asked, keeping his head straight. A name? Anhew had to think about it. “You evolve?” Anhew asked. “Yup,” Skiddo replied. “I evolve into a Gogoat.” “Gogurt?” Anhew asked, slipping up the pronunciation of his name. It took everything to keep the Skiddo from laughing. “Gogoat,” Skiddo said, giggles escaping from his mouth. Anhew smiled nervously. “Is it okay if I call you that?” Anhew asked. “Gogurt?” Skiddo asked. “I'll be honored.” Anhew carefully rubbed Gogurt's horns as they walked.

When they reached the Pokemon Center in Taismog, Cass made a beeline for a shower, whatever that was. Couldn't she just bathed herself in her Pokemon form? Wouldn't she be clean regardless if she turned back into a human? She was left alone with Allison and Gogurt. Not to mention the Joltik on Allison’s shoulder. When Cass came out, Allison went to go take a shower. She looked up at Cass when she mentioned exploring. “Okay,” Anhew said, getting up and grabbing one of Gogurt's horns. Gogurt had said she always couldn't rely on him, so he suggested she walk beside him while holding one of his horns. Gogurt was very patient and humble about the whole walking experience with Anhew. He had never met or heard of people who could shift into Pokémon, so that surprised him greatly. It seemed Anhew got a bad deal, but he could understand if she was a Deino before the whole ordeal. He was touched when Cass often cheered her up. So, here he was, relaying information about the city to Anhew.

Gogurt and Anhew walked over to Cass when she called them over to the path. “Um, Cass,” Gogurt said when Allison came up. “I think Anhew should stay within the city. No offense to either one of you, but if she somehow manages to get seperated, she's not going to know where to go. I know it's Anhew's call, but I don't want that to happen.” He then listened to the Seviper as it warned them about the danger.

------------------

“Ah!” Jack said as theye noticed the city Regina spoke of. 'I want a shower, Sark said. Jack soothingly wrapped their ribbon around Sark. 'A shower you shall have,’ Jack said. For some weird reason, Sark was greatfully soothed by this and allowed Jack to carry him back into the forest just for them to turn back into a human. They then walked into the city before locating the nearest Pokemon Center. They at least remembered what that was. They went inside and looked around. A few people were scattered about. Two caught his eye, a young girl sitting in the seating area, petting a weird goat Pokemon. The girl was wearing black with a strange looking thing wrapped around her neck. There was a woman standing slightly off to the side who didn't look none to pleased. He moved to the counter and put the two Pokeballs up. “Would you like me to check your Pokemon?” the nurse asked.

“Please,” Jack said, smiling at her. After they located the showers, Jack put their bag down before heading into the bathroom. It took them a while to figure out how to take their outfit off before loosening the ribbon in their hair. 'Remind me how I did that,’ Jack said to their companion in their mind. 'Noted,’ Sark replied. Jack turned on the water and let the dirt and grime wash away before they stared down at the products in the shower. What did those do? They picked one up and stared at it. S...m...o...o. Smoo? They set it down before picking up another one. O…n…i...i...n...e...r. Oniiner? 'What?’ Jack asked, putting the bottle down before picking up the little bar that was in there. They smelled it before recoiling. It smelled awful. Humans were weird in their opinion. After a while, Jack turned off the water and with Sark’s help, put the clothes back on. The ribbon neatly tied back in their hair.

Making sure everything was on proper, Jack left the bathroom before picking their bag up and their Pokeballs, after the nurse said they were alright. Both the girl with the goat and the woman were gone. Darn, they wanted to ask them something, oh well. They left the center and explored town a bit. Sark was on high alert for any bad things, but Jack was having fun exploring. It was during that time Jack decided to let Regina out. “We finally made it then?” Regina buzzed, almost annoyed. “Yup,” Jack replied. “Bout time,” Regina buzzed. “Never met a human who didn't know what responsibility is, in fact I've never known a human before.” Jack rolled their eyes as Regina continued to fuss. They eventually made their way to the far end of town when they caught site of the girl and the goat, along with the woman and another woman. There was also a Seviper and what looked to be a Vulpix standing there as well. “Can you find out what's up?” Jack asked. “Why can't you?” Regina asked. Jack half-heartedly glared at her. Regina sighed, knowing that look. “Fine,” she buzzed angrily. “Hey,” Regina said, flying over to the scene. “Apparently my trainer is too COWARDLY-” she buzzed that out loudly for her trainer to hear. “To come over here and ask, but what is going on here?”

---------------------------

Zoey sighed when Tusk suggested that he and Globbers could go over there and ask. “Just what Globbers needs,” Zoey muttered. “Encouragement.” “I agree Tusk!” Globbers said. “We could go find out if she is normal or not.” “I already said no,” Zoey said. “Please,” Globbers said, looking sadly up at his trainer. Zoey sighed. “Don't come crying to me if you get knocked out,” she said. “I just hope to Mew if she is what we are, she doesn't do it in broad daylight.” She watched as Globbers floated towards the lady before he somehow ended up staring at the sky for a few seconds before continuing. Zoey blinked. What the heck was Globbers doing? Why in Mew’s name did he just randomly decide to just stare up in the sky?

((Time for Skiddo: -Skiddo (Gogurt), [Pokeball], Male, Modest (+Sp. Attack, -Attack), Sap Sipper, Milk Drink, Leech Seed, Tackle, Razor Leaf))

Edited by Raptor of Dragons

Tusk made a small salute at the girl, along with a cheerful "Leave it to us, Master Zoey!"

He followed Globbers, going ahead when the Duosion stopped to stare at something. The lady was really scary, and there was a chance she wouldn't understand him, so the Axew went towards the floating purple balloon that was with her. "Hello! Can I ask something?" He took a small look around, gauging if there were Pokémon nearby that could listen, before lowering his voice so hopefully only the one he was addressing understood, one of his paws rubbing his left tusk. "Is that lady your trainer? Is she part of a game?"

Rhapsody watched Tusk go, secretly wondering if the woman would get angry enough at the Dragon-type to try to drown him in the fountain. That'd be amusing to watch.

Gaes had finally arrived, so as soon as the Pokémon came back they could start moving. He nodded at the woman to acknowledge her presence; these past few days she had been... suspiciously forthcoming with human information. Even though he was pretty sure the 'scream at people you meet' one wasn't true since no one had done that in the past two towns, but the chance to beat up someone annoying and blame it on Gaes' misinformation was tempting enough that he'd keep it in mind.

Bored for now, he took a look around, trying to guess which direction they were supposed to take. It was then that he noticed a nearby guy, wearing something blue with a grey X in the front. Rhapsody couldn't tell if the man was staring because he was wearing those black eye covers the Kusba Gym Leader had, but since the stranger was close enough and facing them it was a possibility. So just in case, he raised an eyebrow and maintained eye contact. "The hell you looking at?"

The hell you looking at?

Despite wanting to get noticed, March still got a bit startled by the brown man's somewhat vulgar reaction. Gathering himself again, March somewhat unwillingly scuffled towards the blue-haired man, hesitating a bit as he said: "Well, I erm... it's kinda hard to explain..." "What does that Axew mean with 'normal humans'?!", Frost asked, interrupting March's painful struggle. March was very thankful for this, and quickly after that very impressed. How clever, he thought, if he can't ralk with pokémon, he won't understand what Frost is saying, and he won't respond. If he can talk with pokémon, then I might get answers.

Now calming down a bit, he relaxed his muscles, giving him a more comfortable look. However, you could still tell he was a bit nervous because he was twirling one of the triangles on the end of his right sleeve with his fingers. March considered taking off his sunglasses to appear a bit more friendly, but he felt pleasant with the bit of safety they gave them. Rather not expose myself too much right now.

Edited by Felixr2

Seems like everyone was here, now, and thankfully still in one piece. Lambert saw the kid, Z, whisper something to Rhapsody, and the blue haired man sent his Axew and Zoey's new evolved bubble pokemon to investigate. Now that they mentioned it, it did seem like she was a little out of place and unaware of human etiquette....

Suddenly, the Hydreigon shifter snapped at a man on the street who was about his own age. Lambert was about to apologize for his companion's rudeness (something he had been doing a lot the past few days) and tell him to stand down, but the blue clothing and the silver accents were incredibly familiar.

Shifter. Metagross, actually. He didn't have any memories of facing off against one, not that he was surprised, but he did feel a wave of frustration reminding him that steel and psychic were a powerful defensive combination. Finding the Snorunt's question a little odd, Lambert decided to take another chance, hoping that he was correct. The older man took a few steps forward and beckoned the young man closer with a hand motion until they were close enough to speak without getting overheard. "Do you think you're normal?"

After replying to the scarfed man that had shouted out to him, March noticed a shimmer of what looked like recognition in the eyes of one of the people standing besides said man. "Do you think you're normal?", he asked. So he can understand pokémon as well...

"I... I don't really know. I can't really remember anything that happened more than three days ago and the first thing I do remember, is waking up in the middle of a forest and suddenly turning into... ah, you won't believe it. Or well, maybe you will, as you seem to have understood my Snorunt."

A game...

"So, uhh, are you guys part of some sort of "game"?"

Ellie watched the trainers with their pokemon, exited to finally have found someone. Even if she was still a vulpix, she could at least learn where the town was, or what was happening, anything! And so, she listened to the Seviper. Her brow furrowed when she heard of the disappearances in the woods. Why hadn’t any of the woodland pokemon gossip about that? She then remembered that her ridiculous display of balance is what caused the pokemon to be distracted.

”I haven’t heard anything from the pokemon in the woods,” Ellie remarked thoughtfully. After a moment, she turned towards the fennekin in the trainer’s arm and asked, ”If you are going back to the town, do you mind if I come, too? I'm just looking for the nearest town.”

Ellie didn’t know what else to do. At the very least, if she turned into a human again, she could talk to the gym leader and figure out where she was at least. She could begin to figure it out from there. As she thought this, she noticed a combee coming up to the group and buzzed, "Apparently my trainer is too COWARDLY to come over here and ask, but what is going on here?"

The vulpix tilted her head to listen to the bug pokemon. A stray thought ran through her mind, isn't that the million poke question? She kept that thought to herself.

"According to the Seviper, there have been trainers going missing in the forest beyond, and we need the gym leader's permission to enter the forest," she answered. "He's in the building next to the gym and has a lot of earrings."

She gave a small nod and sunk bank, and hoping to follow whomever decided to go town.

Edited by MyWhiteKnight

Before they got too far into the forest to Lifferoad, Sine and Chompers made one last quick detour to the mountains for his sake. It was going to be another long trek through the wilderness, and Sine was not looking forward at all to eating nothing but berries again. While the Tyrantrum was out doing... Tyrantrum things, the teen thought it a good time to take a look in the caves in case they were as rich in materials as the dig site. At least now that she had a pokemon of her own, she felt a little safer when walking around outside of towns.

The cavern she visited smelled of an underground spring, damp and fresh -- but a dozen steps in she realized that smell and touch were the only senses that were worth anything, as the cave quickly got dark. She clutched Aster's shell tightly as she made small steps forward, a little nervous about pressing on. As she contemplated turning back, the ground underneath her feet rumbled. A small rock was shaken loose from the ceiling and hit her on the head, followed by a flock of Zubat disturbed from their slumber. Most of them seemed more intent on fleeing, but a trio that thought that it was Sine who had caused the disturbance attacked, uttering shrill cries of "Intruder!", "Attack!", and "Aaah!".

The trainer knocked on the shell with a fair bit of urgency and held the Omanyte out. There was a slight delay and Sine had to cover her ears to shield from the Supersonic screeches, but a jet of bubbles erupted from the spiral shell and knocked out the bat that was approaching to Bite her. Two left.

"Aster, Rollout!" she commanded, and threw the small pokemon at the nearest bat. The shell began to rotate at an increasing speed, and using the walls to gain height it quickly mowed down the remaining attackers.

Her heart was pounding, but she let out a breath and smiled. "That wasn't too bad...!"

The ground rumbled again, this time accompanied by an echoing roar that she knew didn't belong to Chompers. Frozen in place, she was startled when the rock under her feet began to erupt, and in the chaos her fear made her shift forms. If the ground had kept rumbling, she wouldn't have felt it since she was now floating above it, calibrating herself to the flight and senses of a Sigilglyph. It was much easier to sense the walls and obstacles in the dark now that she had different eyes and a sixth sense.

"Uh-oh," was all Aster could comment. The Pokemon retreated into his rocky shell again after determining that was the safest course of action.

"Begone from this place, foul trainer!" came the roar. It was an Onix, or at least something that had the shape of one. Steelixes were bigger. Sine automatically made the calculation that she had the type disadvantage, but with some luck the pokemon was looking for a human to rip to shreds, not a pokemon.

The Onix went straight to attacking, unleashing a torrent of purple flames from its maw and seared Sine. The only moves she knew were flying ones, and would barely do any damage. She knew she had some psychic moves, but how to use them? "A little help here, Aster? It's weak to water!"

"B-b-but it looks strong!" came the muffled voice of the Omanyte. Sine, meanwhile, let loose an Air Slash, which seemed to bounce off of the creature's rocky skin and it retaliated by slamming its tail into the wall and knocking a single rock forward in a precise attack. The stone struck the Sigilglyph square in the middle, knocking her down and out of the air.

A jet of bubbles flew forth above her and caused the Onix to writhe from discomfort and burrow back into the ground and erupt back out. Sine was unsure if it would appear under her, now that she was prone, or Aster, though when the ground shook under her she seemed to have an epiphany.

So that's how it works...

A reflective sheen coated her feathers and a mirror-like shield floated in front of her and the Onix hit that with its snout, nearly pushing her into the rock ceiling. All three of her eyes glowed and she folded her wings and shot into the earth, effortlessly Digging through the ground and back up again to strike the attacking pokemon.

Amazingly, it toppled. That bubblebeam seemed to have weakened it a lot. Sine shifted back to human form, then rummaged through her pockets for a pokeball and tossed it just as the rock snake began to stir again. She bit her lip as the ball shook once, twice.... and clicked. It was close to escaping but ultimately stayed.

She couldn't tell the time from inside the cave, but she had a feeling she was running late for their rendez-vous.

((Onix (unnamed), [Pokeball], Female, Brave (+Attack, -Speed), Sturdy, Dragonbreath/Smack Down/Dig/Bind))

~

When Sine and Chompers were on their way out, they bumped into a jolly traveler wearing all green who seemed to be headed toward the same destination. He wasn't much of a conversationalist but at least he spoke more frequently and with more variety than Chompers. Sometimes she felt like she was basically traveling alone, since no one really answered her anyway when she thought out loud.

However, Sine was getting a little annoyed at how the new guy -- Emil -- kept avoiding the question about why his collar reminded her so much of a Meganium. With that getup, she would have thought he was a gym leader, at first glance. Turns out he just really liked grass types, despite his neither of his two pokemon being even remotely related to flowers or grass.

She couldn't help but think there was something odd about this young man.

But, there was something more odd about this young man that they ended up encountering right this moment. Red hair, glasses, something about him making him seem totally punchable... Sine would have cracked her knuckles if she wasn't already holding Aster. Not to mention that he and his pokemon just looked like they got out of a bad fight.

"Who the heck are you?" Sine went straight to the point. She narrowed her eyes. "You look like you've been up to no good, like you've just been caught red-handed doing something you're not supposed to."

Edited by TehUltimateMage

The guy seemed hesitant enough that Rhapsody could guess he hadn't meant anything with the stares, at least. He remembered back in Kusba how when meeting the others he had started to doubt Pooch's explanations of how evolving into a Pokémon and back wasn't something that was supposed to happen, until he noticed that everyone who had this ability was part of the same game. But while it made sense for the guy to not know if he had only been a shifter for three days, Rhapsody still couldn't help poking some fun at him. "Ya heard what came out of your own mouth? I'd like to know what you consider 'not normal' if that doesn't make the cut."

"But yeah, all of us are. Guess you don't know anything useful about those Team Helix guys?"

Valda most certainly did not like the city. There were far too many humans; she glared at all of them, including the odd gaggle of people that was starting to cluster close to the fountain with their pokemon. She eyed them with distrust, and sneered at the one with the dark blue hair and a human child standing beside him. But at least the water was soothing to her feet, so she had no intention of relocating, even though the growing crowd was placing her farther and farther on edge.

Flooey recognized the building tension in Valda's posture and bobbed closer to where the woman could hear. "You'll bring more attention to yourself acting like that," the balloon commented cheerfully, floating around Valda's face to break her line of sight.

Valda shot an irritated look at the Drifloon and pointedly turned to stare elsewhere. "I'm acting just fine," she snapped, folding her arms.

"Well, maybe for a Rampardos," Flooey commented thoughtfully, "but not for a human woman."

"What do you know about being a human woman?" Valda demanded, turning to jab a manicured finger at the Drifloon, who simply bounced off Valda's fingertip. In the movement, the edge of the fabric attached to her wrist and dress slipped into the water, and she yanked it out with a growl of annoyance.

"A fair share more than you do!" Flooey answered, spinning through the air as carefree as ever. She stopped, however, when a brown Axew waddled up to them. "Oh? Who's this?"

The sight of the small dragon made Valda freeze. She'd seen Axew before, she was certain, though where and when she had no idea. Yet something about this Axew was different, and it made the hairs on the back of her neck rise. The image of the seafoam-colored Noibat suddenly flashed behind her eyelids. Like the child from her dream, this one was strangely colored, yet it did not look sickly or encumbered by disease. She stared at it while it spoke, a look of utter disbelief written across her face.

It wasn't until the word "trainer" registered in Valda's mind that she broke free of the stupor. Flooey had sunk lower in the air to level with the Axew, intent on answering, when Valda swatted the Drifloon out of the way and screeched, "Trainer? You think I'm a trainer?" The word "trainer" spit from her mouth as if the taste of it were as revolting as the sound. Had she been a Noivern in that moment, a few flickers of flame might have accompanied it. She lifted herself out of the fountain with a surprising amount of grace, and made to advance on the Axew, except Flooey swept down and curled her little tendril-like arms around Tusk's arms to lift him out of harm's way. "Just a simple misunderstanding!" Flooey called, floating back over to the man whom she supposed was the Axew's trainer.

Valda stood beside the fountain holding her heels in one hand, the other clenched tight into a fist. Thankfully, most of the other humans had enough sense to scatter at her outburst, or at least retreat far enough that her venomous stare didn't linger on them for long.

Flooey touched the Axew down by Rhapsody's feet and twirled in the air as she said, "My apologies for that. She's not very used to city life yet." After a pause, Flooey glanced over at the other humans close to Rhapsody before back down at Tusk. She bobbed closer to the Axew. "Now, you mentioned something about a game," Flooey said gently. "She doesn't tell me much about what's going on, but perhaps does this game have something to do with a dream and a strange woman?" The Drifloon was definitely not Valda's confidant, considering the unruly woman hardly trusted anything besides the ground beneath her feet, but Flooey had heard enough of Valda's slumbering mutterings to put some of the pieces together.

It was a long few minutes before Valda finally seemed to settle down somewhat. With her arms still folded and her spine stiff in displeasure, she slowly walked toward the small group of strangely dressed people and their Pokemon. The outfits themselves did not pique Valda's interest, but she assumed they must all be trainers, and the idea of that made her highly uncomfortable-- and irritable. But she'd be damned if she let a Drifloon do her work for her.

She had just approached the group when she heard the mention of Team Helix. Valda halted a few feet away, trying her best not to glare down at the Axew. "This Team Helix," she started, her voice cold in a way that suggested she was at least trying not to be confrontational, "you know about them?"

--

Cass looked over her shoulder to the Skiddo that Anhew was holding onto. "Don't worry, I wouldn't let her get lost," she assured the Pokemon, smiling. "If we can make it through a dark cave together, I'm sure a forest would be a breeze. Besides, it sounds like this guy's not going to let us in anyway." She gestured toward the Seviper curled around the sign post with her thumb, and then turned to gaze down at the snake Pokemon and the Vulpix-- who looked a little disoriented-- with a thoughtful expression. After a moment, she crouched down to let Dagaz onto the ground and handed him a small twig she found by her foot. He chewed on it quietly, watching the other Pokemon with interest. Cass glanced around briefly to confirm only Pokemon had gathered, before commenting to the Seviper, "What's the point of asking my Pokemon to translate? Might as well just tell me yourself."

Dagaz tilted his head at the Vulpix and waved his tail slightly at her request. "Oh, yeah, of course!" he said, enthusiasm brightening his soft voice. "Her name's Cass. She let me follow her out of a cave, so I'm sure she'd let you come along to town!" At that, Cassandra winked down at the both of them.

Allison rolled her eyes. "Well now there's no point," she said, smacking Cass's shoulder with the backside of her hand. "You are really lacking in subtlety, you know that?"

"What? It's not like there are any people around," she huffed back.

"Obviously this Seviper belongs to someone," Allison said impatiently, pinching the bridge of her nose with her fingers. "A wild Pokemon wouldn't stand guard here out of the goodness of their heart. You really need to be more careful who you run your mouth off to."

Cass looked indignant at this, and straightened up to continue the argument, but in that moment a Combee drifted over to them, looking just as sour. At the Pokemon's question, Cassandra simply folded her arms and looked pointedly at Allison, as if waiting for her permission to speak.

"Oh for pete's sake," Allison muttered. "I don't have time for this. You there--" she pointed at the Seviper, "--if this area is so dangerous, what kind of gym leader sits around and does nothing about it? Does he think the issue is going to resolve on its own in time?" There was also the option of battling the Seviper; as far as she knew, he was the only one stationed out here, which meant she could possibly just take it down with Arrow and be on their way. But that also posed the risk of having the gym leader on their tail the entire time, and would make the return trip rather awkward. On the other hand, she certainly did not have the patience to track down some punk and beg for admittance into the forest. Still, challenging a guardian Pokemon about the entire ordeal was also not going to get her anywhere. Rubbing her temples, Allison let out a frustrated sigh. They'd been traveling for several days on their only lead, just to be held up by something as trivial as this.

Cass hummed in her amusement. "Well, I suppose that's it. Off to the gym leader it is." She patted Dagaz on the head, and then smiled at the Vulpix. "You're welcome to come along, if you'd like. Same with you and your trainer, if they're interested," Cass added, turning to address the Combee as well.

Allison scowled. She'd been pleased when Jasper decided to go off on their own. Now, Cass was inviting everyone within a mile radius to join. What a pain. She turned sharply and walked back toward town, not caring if the others kept up or not. Joltik waved at them from her shoulder, squeaking, "Bye friends!"

Cassandra quickly wound her long hair into a braid, chuckling at Allison's retreating figure. "Don't mind her," she told the rest of them, "She's always been a stick in the mud." Cass reached down to scoop up Dagaz into her arms, and then paused as her gaze lingered on the Vulpix. "Would you like a lift, too? You look a little woozy."

[[i'll post with Emil later if I've got time today, otherwise it'll be tomorrow.

^^ Hope you aren't trying to use actual dog behavior because dogs seek out eye contact all the time and only avoid it when giving signals that they're not comfortable.]]

Kim snorted at the other boy's response, tossing back his head. "As if! You totally got in my way!" he snapped. Brushing off his arm as if the boy had left behind some dirt smear, Kim shook his head, his fiery mane of hair swishing with the movement. Blinking as the other boy seemed to divert his gaze to the ground, a flicker of uncertainty entered his chest. For a second, he hoped he hadn't hurt the boy's feelings.

Pushing the thought aside, Kim brought up a fist. "Hey, stop cowering!" he ordered. "You owe me for getting in my way! I want a battle with you!"

Chespin tugged on Kim's pant leg, looking very worried. "Is that a good idea?" he whispered, not getting a response from his trainer. "Oh... I don't really like this. You're going to make me battle, aren't you?" he fretted.

"Whatever pokémon ya got, my Chespin can take 'em down," Kim boasted, taking a step back and nudging the mentioned pokémon forward with a foot.

The grass-type made a noise in protest, stumbling when he was pushed. "Why me? Why does it have to be me that battles this time? Couldn't you send out Ralts instead?" Chespin whined, looking at the boy in dark clothes with wide eyes. Of course, Kim never responded to his protests.

~~~~

Gaes had started to move towards the lip of the fountain, intending to sit down while everyone else just stood around. However, a few things happened almost simultaneously. First, Rhapsody and Zoey’s pokémon decided to check out the crazy angry woman soaking her feet in the fountain water. Second, Rhapsody called out a stranger who seemed to be looking in the group’s direction. (It was hard to tell if he was honestly staring because of his sunglasses.) When the Hydreigon’s growl startled the guy, he crept closer and spoke in a low voice, provoking Lambert to respond. Deciding that the boys could deal with the quiet guy, Gaes chose to entertain herself with the crazy woman with the Drifloon.

Plopping down on the edge of the fountain, somewhere between the boys and the woman, Gaes stretched out her legs in front of her and gave a content sigh. A smirk quirked the corner of her lips as the woman shouted in response to Tusk’s question. “Yup! A trainer! Because you have a Pokémon by the looks of it,” she replied off-handedly. Staring at her nails, she pursed her lips. “Keep shouting like that and no one will take you seriously. Though, I suppose it will garner the most attention from the city officials as they lock up the ‘crazy woman shouting at Pokémon’.”

Grinning, she followed the woman with her red eyes as she stalked towards the rest of the group, butting in as the boys’ conversation turned towards Team Helix. “We know of them, honey. Don’t know much about them, though. That’s why we’re here in Fastfall. We’ll be on our way to Taismog soon in order to get some questions answered,” she replied. “But, I guess you won’t be joining us then because we’re a bunch of trainers. Well, sort of. Lambchop over there is a real human. The rest of us are just Pokémon parading around like humans. Including you, I take it?”

Edited by Narvix

[[Posted separately because it's too long.]]

He had traded the Light Clay, Iron Ball, and one of the Dawn Stones for three Poké Balls and 650 Poké Dollars. There was still a little time before Emil needed to find a spot for sleep. Since he hadn’t done so already, he chose to wander around Vertia. There wasn’t much to the town that couldn’t be found in another, but different places often had different themes or colors. Nix wasn’t interested in walking around so the Shinx remained in their Poké Ball.

By the time he returned, most of the bunk beds had been claimed and several of the trainers he encountered at Laren’s were settling down for the night. Following suit, Emil opted to sleep in the lobby despite the lights, taking up an available couch. Eventually, his breathing slowed and consciousness was swept away - only to be abruptly slapped back into place by a loud roar.

Startled, Emil sat up, glancing about quickly to locate the source. Moments later, a Hydreigon left one of the rooms, hurrying outside and disappearing behind the front doors. Rubbing his face, Emil hummed tiredly and laid back down, falling asleep once more.

“Nice to meet you, Players.” He had been floating in darkness, aware but unable to see, do, or say anything. When an unknown voice drifted through, Emil could only watch as a woman appeared. She was dressed quite elegantly and flamboyant. Without his response, she continued talking, her voice registering as the same one he’d heard before in a similar dream. Was this the face attached to it or some randomly created guise? The pupil-less gaze made him suspect it was a fake appearance.

Players implied that he wasn’t alone. But then, where were the others? He thought about the faces he’d seen at Laren’s house while the strange woman said something of a congratulations and amendment to the original rules. Could that many people be fellow ‘players’? Emil kind of doubted that but, at the moment, he felt he should be open to the possibility.

A soft glow caught his attention and he returned his focus to the woman, a puzzle piece now floating in her hand. A piece of his memory? Mild unease settled in his chest as he wondered if the woman strategically picked which memory she held or if it were plucked at random. Should he even trust her word that it was a memory?

The puzzle piece faded out of sight and she bid the players farewell, leaving him alone.

- - - -

He woke up smiling, a bubble of warmth sitting in his chest for a moment before fading. Rubbing sleep out of his eyes, Emil sat up slowly and tried to discern what time it was. A few people were up and moving about so it couldn’t be too early, but it wasn’t awfully late either. Good. Getting off the couch, he made for the bathroom to tidy up. Once done, he moved towards the main counter and picked up traveling supplies, stuffing the pack into his bag. He could get an early start if he left for Lifferoad now but food was in order.

He walked a few streets before finding a small shop he was happy with, bought breakfast for himself and Nix, then went on his way. He headed for the route that would take him around the mountain, towards Lifferoad. Once outside of Vertia, Emil dug out the Shinx’s Poké Ball and released them. Mostly, they walked in silence, content without trying to make conversation. The first few hours were uneventful, passing with zero incident. Once the wilderness became more prominent, opportunities to battle and train presented themselves almost regularly.

Since there were so many opportunities, Emil had chosen to battle himself as much as he sent Nix out. Uninterestingly, Emil had taken down a pair of Caterpie and a Weedle at separate times. The trainer battles were more fascinating and, for obvious reasons, the ones that Nix got to fight.

- - - -

“Are you looking my way, kid? If ya want to have a stare down with the Hulk, then ya better be able to back it up with a battle!”

Emil blinked slowly, looking the karate man down and up, taking in the black belt and red bandana around his forehead. “I’m sorry?” Emil replied.

“No time to talk! Now is the time to fight! Go! Hitmonlee! Use Jump Kick!” the Black Belt shouted, grabbing a poke ball off his coat and pitching it. A burst of white light and a brown, humanoid pokemon leapt from the ground.

As it flipped and came down towards Emil with a foot extended, the young man took a few steps back, pulling out Nix’s poke ball in the same instance. “Nix. Dodge then use Leer,” Emil commanded, white light exploding from the front of the red and white sphere. The Shinx popped out on the ground, darting aside as the Hitmonlee struck where Nix used to be. The opposing pokémon staggered from the impact, giving Nix time to reposition themself and fix an intimidating glare on the other pokemon.

“Don’t let that puny thing scare you, Hitmonlee! Hit it with Close Combat!” Black Belt roared. Still, Hitmonlee hesitated, feeling a little unsure of the battle now. It ran forward, getting within reach of Nix, throwing random punches and kicks.

Nix jumped back, avoiding several hits before getting knocked aside by a successful kick. “Charge, Nix. Then Spark,” Emil ordered flatly. The Shinx hunkered down, their body glowing yellow.

Black Belt grinned, a smug look crossing his face. “Close Combat again, Hitmonlee!”

Again, the pokemon threw a series of punches and kicks, several connecting with Nix this time as the Shinx Charged up. Finally, a burst of blue electrical energy engulfed their body and they rushed forward, tackling the Hitmonlee. The opposing pokemon was blasted backward, bouncing against the ground twice before sliding to a stop, unconscious. “What!” Black Belt shouted, falling to his knees.

- - - -

“Well, aren’t you just a cutie? Wanna see my precious Budew? They’re all just as cute!”

Stopped by the sudden appearance of a middle-aged woman in an apron, Emil looked down at her hands. Held to her chest was a green, seed-like pokemon. Before he could think of something to say, the woman turned and walked several yards. She turned on her heel again to face him, shifting the Budew in her arms to hold it with one and pull out a poke ball with the other. From it popped out another Budew, bouncing on its tiny feet. “Budew, dazzle us with Sunny Day!”

Emil drew out Nix’s poke ball as the sunlight seemed to intensify, heat beating down on his back and provoking a few beads of sweat to emerge on his brow. “Nix, use tackle,” he started. The Shinx darted from the beam of light, racing towards the Budew. Their shoulder impacted with the small grass-type, sending it to the ground.

“Oh, that’s not very nice! Budew, use Synthesis!” The little pokemon began to glow white and yellow for a few heartbeats. When the light faded, it looked revitalized to Emil and he pressed his lips into a thin line. “Now, hit it with Razor Leaf!”

Sharp leaves shot towards Nix and the Shinx leapt aside. “Use Leer, Nix,” Emil instructed. “Follow it with tackle.” A glare was aimed at the Budew and the opposing pokemon hesitated, giving a wavered cry.

The woman cooed at her pokemon. “It’s okay, Budew! Just use Razor leaf again!”

Nix darted through the attack, grimacing as some of the leaves grazed their pelt. Their head slammed into the Budew, sending it tumbling once more, but unable to get up.

“Aw, that’s so disappointing!” the woman wailed, calling Budew back.

- - - -

Rubbing his face, Emil stretched his arms. It had been a long day and the young man was near ready to call it a night. Movement caught his attention and he looked over to see a Croagunk emerge from the tall grass. They stared at each other for a moment before, “Ah, just a blasted human.” Then it started to turn away.

“W-Wait,” Emil started. “Are you looking for something?”

The Croagunk paused, glancing back and eyeing Emil. “Are you talking to me?”

“Yes. Is that not clear?” Emil responded.

The Pokémon looked startled, turning to fully face the young man. “Normally, humans don’t talk to random pokémon. Let alone understand them,” he mused. “No, I’m not looking for something. Just heard a noise and came to check it out.”

“Can I make it worth your while with a battle?” Emil inquired.

For a few heartbeats, the Croagunk mulled over the offer before starting to nod. “Why not? I could use the workout,” he replied. His eyes widened as Emil was engulfed by light. A second later, a Meganium stood in the man’s place.

Blinking at the silent Croagunk, Emil tilted his head. “Do you still want a battle?” he asked the other.

A croak left the Croagunk, a chuckle Emil assumed, and the Pokémon smirked. “Ay. Just cause you got fancy tricks don’t mean I’m gonna run.”

- - - -

The Croagunk stumbled, dropping to a knee as he tried to shake off the lingering effects of Emil’s Body Slam. His muscles seized slightly, currents of electricity running through his body. Damn, he was paralyzed. Grumbling, he swiped his hand across his cheek. Bringing his hands together in front of his chest, he started charging a Focus Blast but his muscles seized again, disrupting the attack. Grunting, something smacked the Croagunk’s forehead. Dazed, he blinked and barely registered the Poké ball before he was drawn in.

Emil stared at the sphere for several heartbeats, watching it quiver before it finally came to a rest and clicked. A successful catch. Moving forward, he stooped down and picked up the poké ball, stuffing it into his bag. He would let the Croagunk rest awhile before bringing him back out.

[[Croagunk (Rook), [Pokéball], Male, Adamant (+Atk, -Sp. Atk), Anticipation, Feint Attack/Poison Jab/Brick Break/Focus Blast]]

- - - -

“Oh, are we doing this again?” Nix stared at the petite girl that had challenged Emil, her Beedrill buzzing with eagerness above their heads.

Nodding once, Emil shifted his bag into a more comfortable position across his shoulder. “Nix, use Leer, then Charge.”

“Beedrill, start off with Poison Sting and Twin Needle!” the girl shouted. Beedrill zipped forward, a poison-tipped dart stinging Nix in the hip as they tried avoiding it. Two sets of needles came at them then, their glare causing the bug-type to falter for just a moment. Their body glowed yellow but it seemed tainted and Emil frowned. Nix was poisoned.

“Spark, Nix. Follow it with Tackle,” Emil instructed. The Shinx charged forward, successfully knocking the Beedrill down with Spark and keeping it down with Tackle. When they weren’t moving, Nix quivered, affected by the poison.

“Use Payback, Beedrill! While it’s incapacitated!” The bug-type hurried at Nix, striking at the Shinx and knocking them aside.

Nix tumbled for a moment before coming to a stop, struggling to their paws before shaking out their body. “Nix, are you okay?” Emil questioned. The Shinx nodded, gaze intent on the opposing pokemon. “Good. Use Spark, one more time.”

Glowing blue again, Nix rushed at the Beedrill, ramming into it’s midsection and bringing the pokemon down. Skidding across the ground when they landed, the Shinx trembled again and crouched. “I don’t like this…” they muttered.

“Boo! I thought we had you beat!” the girl cried. Calling her Beedrill back into its poke ball, she regarded Nix with a frown. “Looks like Beedrill did a number on your Shinx. Here, let me patch it up,” she offered. Pulling an antidote and a potion out of her belongings, she knelt down by Nix and, in moments, had the pokemon back in good health.

“Thank you.” Emil smiled, starting to click Nix’s poke ball to call them back. Before he could, Nix started glowing white and the girl gasped. In the next instance, Nix had changed. They were slightly bigger and darker in color, no longer looking as they had before.

“That’s so exciting! It evolved into a Luxio!”

- - - -

They eventually crossed paths with another pair of trainers. However, instead of challenging him like several others had, these two were more interested in just traveling to Lifferoad together. That was fine with Emil except the girl (who introduced herself as Sine) kept pestering him with questions about his choice in outfit. For awhile, Emil was able to avoid answering to a degree but he eventually just said he liked grass types. That seemed to shut the girl up but she would give him suspicious looks now and then.

Oh well. Eventually, even she and her strange companion lost importance as someone else showed up. This new stranger and his pokemon were covered in cuts and bruises. Blinking, he glanced at Sine as she questioned the newcomer.

The man quickly got over his surprise, tapping Togekiss' shoulder. Upon feeling it, the Fairy-type landed, allowing their trainer to dismount - by then, he had already schooled his expression into a charming, friendly smile that reached his eyes. “Are you in the habit of accusing everyone you meet, Miss?” His tone had a hint of amusement in it, enough to take off the accusatory edge along the small chuckle at the beginning.

The man placed a hand on his hip, the Togekiss behind him starting to preen its feathers, fluffing them up. "To answer your question, my name is Leonard. There have been no wild Pokémon around this area for the past few days, so to suddenly bump into a group of trainers was something we didn't expect."

His Pokémon paused for a while, throwing a glance at the group's direction. "Togekiss," it said as an introduction, before continuing to tug at a small stick stuck under one of its wings.

"Judging by the direction you're headed to, might your destination be Lifferoad?"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tusk jumped slightly when the lady not only understood him, but actively shove her (the?) Pokémon out of the way to snarl at him. He started waving his arms around, taking a step forward. "I'm sorry if I offended you! I didn't mean to- Waa!"

The Pokémon grabbed him before he finished talking, floating away from the woman's wrath and towards the group. Tusk rubbed his snout, looking up at the balloon Pokémon as she asked her own question. "Yes!" he exclaimed, but then put his paws against his mouth. When he continued, it was in a quieter voice, almost a whisper. "A few days ago, a dark-skinned woman dressed all in white appeared in the dreams of all the shifters here, and they all remembered something! That proves your, um, friend, is part of this," he said, catching himself before saying the T word.

The lady from before approached them then, and Tusk could feel a cold shiver beginning somewhere up his spine. "Master Gaes? I'm not sure provoking her is the best idea..." he said, hurrying to her side and looking between her and the lady.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems the 'Vulpix' would go with the trainers to the town, maybe with the Combee and whoever her trainer was. Oh well, not Cedric's business. Live and let live and all that.

The two women started talking, then, and the Seviper got the second big surprise of the day when it seemed the two of them could understand both the Skiddo the kid with them was holding onto and him. He stared at them, his tongue hanging out, unblinking until one of them addressed him.

"I don't have time for this. You there -- if this area is so dangerous, what kind of gym leader sits around and does nothing about it? Does he think the issue is going to resolve on its own in time?"

"Well excuse you," he hissed, eyes narrowing. "Boss has gone out to the forest multiple times, but no matter how many of those Ghosts we beat, they all keep coming back eventually. 'S not going to change until we find the mastermind, and until Boss thinks of a plan to lure them out he's prioritized recovering all victims and making sure there are no new ones."

He shot a glance at the ginger and the kid, and then uncoiled. "Alvah!" he yelled in the general direction of the forest. "I'm going on ahead, stand guard on your own for a while!" There was no response of any kind, but Cedric ignored it. His partner wasn't exactly a Pokémon of many words, and he was, like, 95% sure the other wasn't asleep.

"I'm taking you guys to the Gym Leader. I'm starving anyway, and at this hour he should be in Nice Mode," he huffed, slithering towards the town with his head held high.

He went at a pace where the humans would have to jog to keep up with him, too, just to be an ass.

----------------------

The Serpent's Fang was the building right next to the Gym, painted mostly in dark shades of brown to match the furniture inside. There was a sign that said 'closed' hanging from the door, but Cedric ignored it. It was a little past noon, so it should be opening up in a few minutes anyway.

He pushed the door, its well-oiled hinges not making a peep as it opened. He could see a worker at the grand piano on one of the corners, tuning it, and another was arranging the stools at the far back. The snake didn't pay them any attention, slithering over the counter and towards the man standing behind it. The man looked to be on his early thirties, with wavy dark purple hair, styled in a side part with most of it combed to the right in a way that covered the eye and ear on that side. He was wearing a black and light lavender uniform, and when he turned towards his Pokémon, the light caught on the piercings of his left ear; two on the top that looked like red Seviper fangs of about 3 cm each, and an earring that resembled an Arbok's marking.

"You're early, Cedric," he said in a pleasant voice, regarding the Seviper with polite curiosity. "I hope there was no trouble?"

[[information on NPCs has been updated. Unlocked: part of Leonard's and Driemen's character sheets]]

Edited by Puredark006

Eevee burst out of her Poké Ball, and grinned. "Sounds fun!" She batted a paw at Chespin.

Dammerung looked at the other boy. Eevee was excited and the Chespin was worried, which... no point thinking about it. He'd been challenged - didn't he have to accept that? "I accept your challenge... and it seems Eevee let herself out again. Wasn't I supposed to let her out...? I can't even use my hands well yet..." He muttered the last two sentences to himself. Then he looked up.

"I never get to play with anyone else. Play now!" Eevee yipped.

Dammerung gronbed. It sounded like Eevee was treating this like play... and of course she was going to get stomped. No matter what, this was her first battle. The Chespin would have to be throwing the battle for Eevee to win. Really throwing it. Somehow, Dammerung didn't think even someone as nervous as the Chespin would try to throw a battle to the level of I'm-not-trying that would be required. And there was the trainer, too, He'd gone up against Pokémon who, like Eevee, hadn't battled much or at all. They always had been defeated by him - and it was extremely easy. "I might add, I only have the one... and she s--no wait, I think she hasn't battled before."

The Umbreon shifter twitched a knee. I think she knows... Swift and Sand-Attack maybe? And Tackle and Helping Hand? No, Tail Whip would make more sense than Helping Hand - she doesn't know anyone else. Or... okay, I'll just say she knows Tackle, Sand-Attack, Tail Whip, and Helping Hand or Swift. I can figure out which one is the correct move - after all, I can tell what she's saying.

March didn't like how the man was poking fun at him, but seeing it was only a joke, he could put it aside.

"Sadly, no. I don't know anything about this 'team Helix'. Do you? And, if you're all part of this 'game', can you all turn into a Pokémon then? If so, then, what can y'all turn into?"

March spoke softly. If this was something normal humans couldn't do, it might be better if they didn't know.

"Also, is it alright if I travel along with you guys? I don't really know anybody here and I could use some company after living alone in the snowy forest over there for three days."

Before they went back to the mountains, Chompers exchanged the light clay and the float stone to buy a Pokeball. With Sine's new Pokémon, he certainly recognized the Omanite, nicknamed Aster, easily enough, though it was very shy. He sure did appreciate Sine to go back to the mountains so he could do a bit of hunting. Even Feathers went with him just in case something happened. She was concerned a human would try to catch him. On the way back to the meeting point, Chompers had shifted back into his human form. When he got to the meeting point, Sine was nowhere to be found, so Chompers had to sit there and wait with nothing to do. It was then a small purple Pokémon jumped out. What was it? It intrigued him. It had large ears and a horn on its head. “What's that?” Chompers asked, staring at it. “Hmm?” Feathers asked as she dozed on his shoulder. “Oh, it's a Nidoran.” “What was the thing I used to get you guys to follow me?” Chompers asked. “You captured us in a Pokeball,” Feathers replied. “You mean to catch it?” “I guess,” Chompers said, taking his Pokeball out. “Do I just throw my Pokeball at it?” “No, you battle it,” Feathers replied. “But for future sake, let me battle it.” “Why?” Chompers asked, tilting his head. “If you shift for every person who wanted to battle you,” Feathers said. “You're going to attract unwanted attention. So, allow me.”

With that, Feathers jumped down from Chompers’ shoulder. “Hey you,” Feathers said. “We wish to battle you.” The Nidoran looked over with a slightly worried look. “You sure?” the Nidoran asked, skeptical if it wanted to fight or not. “My trainer could use the practice,” Feathers replied. The Nidoran had to think for a moment. “Alright, I'm game,” the Nidoran said. “Chompers, you know my attacks, command me what to do,” Feathers said. “Why?” Chompers asked confused. “So you can get used to trainer battles,” Feathers said. The Nidoran blinked curiously as it backed up. What were they talking about? Has this guy never battled before? He looked so old and he never did a battle? And how come the human understand the fossil bird?

“Use Crunch?” Chompers commanded in a confused voice. Feathers immediately launched herself at the Nidoran with her jaws open. The Nidoran ran towards Feathers, his horn glowing as it tried to attack Feathers. Feathers bit down on the glowing horn and tossed the Nidoran. She then waited for Chompers to give her her next command. Unfortunately, for Feathers, the Nidoran raised his ears and his eyes grew blue. “Ow,” Feathers said as she dug her talons into the ground as she was thrown back a little. “You okay?” Chompers asked confused. “He hit me with Confusion!” Feathers said. “That was unexpected.” Feathers looked back at Chompers who stood there looking at them. “Uh...Chompers, aren't you going to order me to attack him?” Chompers blinked before tilting his head. This was really weird to him. “Use Dragon Breath,” Chompers grunted. Feathers nodded her head before releasing a stream of yellow stream from her mouth. The Nidoran flew back and landed on his stomach with his eyes closed.

“Oof!” the Nidoran let out, shakily getting up. He had one paw straight while the rest folded under his body. Feathers looked back to Chompers who still looked puzzled. She blinked at him, waiting for his next command. Chompers scratched his head, trying to figure out what to do next. “A-Acrobatics?” he questioned before Feathers flew towards the Nidoran, knocking it out as it tried to pump up its body, but failed. “Quick! Throw the Pokeball!” Feathers exclaimed. Chompers took out his Pokeball and tossed it at the Nidoran. It disappeared into a flash of red light before the Pokeball hit the ground. It shook once, then twice, before a third time before it stopped and sent out a flash of red, signalling that the Nidoran was caught. Chompers went over to the Pokeball and picked it up, trying to think of a good name for it. “Welcome to the team, Nidotyran,” Chompers said.

((Male Nidoran (Nidotyran), [Poke Ball], Male, Careful (+Sp Defense, -Sp Attack), Poison Point, Confusion/Focus Energy/Horn Attack/Flatter))

-------------

When Sine finally got back, they continued on their journey before they encountered a jolly guy in a green outfit. It was around that time that all the Pokemon stopped appearing. It seemed suspicious of both occurrences happened at the same time that the hair on the back of his neck stood up. After pestering the new guy with questions, leaving him alone after he said he just really like grass types, and leaving Feathers perched on his shoulder to keep an extra set of sharp eyes out for any danger, Chompers couldn't really sink his teeth into what was wrong. It was then a guy on a flying Pokemon showed up. He didn't like the silence, Emil, or the new guy who called himself Leonard.

He stiffened, but lightened up when Leonard lightly chuckled at Sine. “I noticed the lack of noise over the course of us traveling,” Chompers said, looking at the Togekiss slightly. “Sine, perhaps he would know more about why the Pokemon aren't around. Trust me when I say the lack of sound is never a good thing.” He wanted to ask Feathers something, but refrained from doing so. He kept remembering what Driller said about trying to fit in with humans. No holding conversations with Pokémon and definitely no shifting. If he needed to shift, he would have to go elsewhere. Feathers stared at the Togekiss, feeling the muscles in her trainer sort of relax, but still holding the tension of being paranoid, decided to ask, “Have you heard anything your trainer might have missed?” If something was truly out there waiting to pounce, Chompers would most likely shift, talons down, no questions asked just to fight back. Feathers hoped it wouldn't come to that.

-----------------

Globbers squeaked out in alarm as the crazy lady in the water tried to lash out at Tusk, only for the Pokemon picked him up. Luckily, he was out of range, mostly due to his second brain wanting to go back to Zoey. “Darling! He didn't mean it!” Globbers called out in a very loud, almost snobby voice by accident. Zoey wanted to facepalm in embarrassment as her Pokémon shouted that out as Globbers blinked, wondering why that came out. Her Pokemon was most likely going to die by angering this woman even further. Zoey sensed the growing agitation as Gaes came over and prodded the situation even further. It also didn't help that there was another guy that did come over and understood the situation.

She looked over at the new guy’s outfit and she was suddenly recognized the guy’s outfit with it being blue with silver accents. Metagross. There was something she recognized about Metagross of all things, something frighteningly familiar. She took a couple steps back, searching the guy for any signs that he might attack. She shook her head and tried to clear it. Why was she doing that? “Erm, you okay?” Globbers asked as he floated back over to the group. “I'm fine,” Zoey replied before turning back to the guy as he asked questions. “Wow, not sugar coating it huh? I'm Zoey, Purrloin shifter. Although, I'm curious, does Phenac City ring a bell to you?”

It was then that Tama took the moment to come out of his Pokeball and run around, making Zoey groan. “Yay! New friends!” Tama said, running around the Metagross shifter’s feet, deciding to run over to the snappy lady, before skidding to a halt. Tama looked up at her, his smile faltering.