Shokomon

DC Moon Watch (Tracking Sonata Breeding and Eclipse Effects!)

For me, the change comes when I'm asleep. wink.gif I added an explanation to the table.

Moon Report:

Aurax (Golden moon) Waxing crescent

Cirion (Blue moon) Waning crescent

Eggs are Bronze!

We've got PHASE CHANGE! AND CONFIRMED BRONZE EGGS! It looks like the theory is correct to far.

----

For later!

--- Based on current data, it seems that Cirion's phases change faster than Aurax's.

----- Aurax takes 8 days to move from WaNing Crescent to New Moon.

----- Cirion takes 4 days to move from WaXing Gibbous to Full Moon; Cirion takes 3 days to move from WaNing Gibbous to WaNing Crescent.

----- Aurax's New Moon is 24 hours long.

----- Cirion's Full Moon is 24 hours long. New Moon Phase is unconfirmed to be 24 hours long.

----- Cirion skips both First and Last Quarter Phases. Aurax skips Last Quarter phase, but is unconfirmed to skip First Quarter phase.

Aug 29, 2015 @ 12:00 AM EST/DragonCave (DC) to Sep 01, 2015 @ 7:59 PM EST/DC.

Aurax: Waning Gibbous

Cirion: Waning Crescent

CB Lunar eggs are Gold.

Sep 01, 2015 starting 8:00 PM EST/DC

Aurax: Waning Crescent*

Cirion: New*

CB Lunar eggs change from Gold to Bronze.

- The Gold egg drop lasted about 3 days and 17 hours.

* = TJ's post doesn't mention a phase change at the same time the new color drops, but we know the color change happened here. So, we assume the phase changed happened here too.

Sep 02, 2015 @ 12:00 AM EST/DC

Aurax: Waning Crescent

Cirion: New

CB Lunar eggs are Bronze.

Sep 03, 2015 @ 12:00 AM EST/DC to Sep 05, 2015 @ 7:59 PM EST/DC

Aurax: Waning Crescent**

Cirion: Waxing Crescent**

CB Lunar eggs are Bronze, and Bred Lunar eggs are Bronze.

** Exact time of change Unknown.

Sep 05, 2015 starting @ 8:00 PM EST/DC

Aurax: Waning crescent

Cirion: Waxing Gibbous

CB Lunar eggs have changed from Bronze to Blue/Indigo, and Bred Lunar eggs have changed from Bronze to Blue/Indigo.

- The Bronze egg drop lasted about 4 days.

Sep 05, 2015 @ 12:00 AM EST/DC to Sep 09, 2015 @ 7:59 PM EST/DC

CB Lunar eggs are Blue/Indigo, and Bred Lunar eggs are Blue/Indigo.

Sep 09, 2015 starting 8:00 PM EST/DC to Sep 10, 2015 @ 7:59 PM EST/DC

Aurax: New

Cirion: Full

Sep 10, 2015 starting 8:00 PM EST/DC to Sept 13, 2015 @ 7:59 PM EST/DC

Aurax: Waxing Crescent

Cirion: Waning Gibbous

Sep 13, 2015 starting @ 8:00 PM EST/DC

CB Lunar eggs have changed from Blue/Indigo to Bronze, and Bred Lunar eggs have changed from Blue/Indigo to Bronze.

- The Blue/Indigo egg drop lasted about 8 days.

Sep 14, 2015 starting @ 12:00 AM EST/DC

[Edited by Shokomon]

Edited by Shokomon

Whoops, bronze! I stopped paying attention for a few days, so serves me right.

I think the golds are going to return when I'm on a camping trip. .....Yep, the entire trip. sad.gif At least I should be back for the first full day of silvers. I think.

...I expect to catch some silver Lunar Heralds on 21st day this month! :3

My proof? Here you go:

On August 29th, Aurax was Waning Gibbous. On September 1st, people could see that Aurax had reached Waning Crescent. And it remained like that all the way until it became New Moon)on September 9th.

If Aurax was Half Moon during the 1st day and it became New Moon on the 9th day, this would mean that the Waning Crescent phase lasted from 1st to 8th day (7 days). The "New Moon day" would be the eight day in the cycle, before it would start growing back to Half Moon in another 8 days...

In other words Aurax travels around Valkemare in 16 days.

But Valkemare has two moons...

Again, on August 29th, Cirion was Waning Crescent. But unlike its sibling moon, Cirion became New Moon on the 1st day. During the 5th day, people reported that the phase had changed into Waxing Gibbous. And it reached Full Moon on 9th day.

This is a short cycle, indeed. On 1st day, Cirion was New Moon and it reached Full Moon on 9th day. That's just 8 days!

TL;DR: Aurax travels around Valkemare in 32 days. Cirion in 16 days.

After a little bit of tweaking, I made the cycle that looks like this: spreadsheet in Google.

I also added the color of the egg to be obtained ...at least from cave, I suppose.

But this is just a theory! ("...a game theory! Thanks for watch-..." tongue.gif)

Still, I thought about posting my thoughts for you to check it out. Feel free to comment!

Last but not least: thanks for everyone who have provided with the current information! (I haven't kept an keen eye on the changes of phases, so I had to look it up...)

EDIT: Changed the amount of days in a cycle for both moons.

And I have to add one thing (after sleeping over this)...

Even if the cycle is 32 and 16 days, it doesn't mean that this is constant. The same way as we don't have exactly 30 days in one month. However, I do wonder how TJ would code a more complex "cycle system" in case there would be more/less days in a month?

Only time will tell...

Edited by Mangetsuneko

One thing to point out though: New moon to full moon is only half a rotation. So Aurax travels around Valkemare in 32 days and Cirion in 16 days.

Otherwise those numbers look right.

...I expect to catch some silver Lunar Heralds on 21st day this month! :3

I am inclined to agree; however, here is my reasoning:

Basically, Cirion has four day quarters. The Full moon is included in Waning Gibbous, and the New Moon is included in Waxing Crescent. Aurax has eight day quarters. Again, the Full moon is included in Waning Gibbous, and the New Moon is included in Waxing Crescent.

We had Cirion's FULL moon and Aurax's NEW moon on the 9th. Here is my calendar from that day:

Sept. 10 - Waning Gibous - Waxing Crescent

Sept 11, 12 - No Change, the 12th being the 4th day of the quarter.

Sept 13 - Waning Crescent - Waxing Crescent - Eggs are Brown/Bronze

Sept 14, 15, 16 - No Change, the 16th being the 4th day of Cirion's quarter and the 8th day of Aurax's quarter.

Sept 17 - New - Waxing Gibbous - Gold eggs return

Sept 18 - Waxing Crescent - Waxing Gibbous - Gold eggs remain

Sept 19, 20 - No change, the 20th being the 4th day of both moons' quarters.

Sept 21 - Waxing Gibbous - Waxing Gibbous - Silver eggs begin!

Edited by Millie_Azure

Does anyone think that when both moons are full, there might be a small chance of getting gold and indigo herald eggs besides silver? Like some areas get more blue then yellow light, and vice versa, resulting in a small amount of not silver eggs?

Does anyone think that when both moons are full, there might be a small chance of getting gold and indigo herald eggs besides silver? Like some areas get more blue then yellow light, and vice versa, resulting in a small amount of not silver eggs?

I don't. If that was the case, we would likely also be getting small numbers of gold and blue when we're getting bronze. It appears there will only ever be a single color being produced at any given time.

One thing to point out though: New moon to full moon is only half a rotation. So Aurax travels around Valkemare in 32 days and Cirion in 16 days.

ohmy.gif .....

...But of course! *facepalm* Thanks for pointing that out!

It was late (where I live) and I was tired when writing my post... I'm sorry. sad.gif

(I will now edit my original post to reflect that.)

I was just driving through and noticed this, but shouldn't you guys be the Valkemare Astronomical Society? Astrology is for horoscopes, not studying celestial bodies.

I was just driving through and noticed this, but shouldn't you guys be the Valkemare Astronomical Society? Astrology is for horoscopes, not studying celestial bodies.

It's actually deliberate:

Also, I think we are doing more Astrology than Astronomy, because we are more concerned about how the movements of Aurax and Cirion affect the Lunar Herald Dragons, and not necessarily how the DC Universe works as a whole... Though that would be interesting.

I wouldn't object to that reasoning, personally; I reckon it's sort of an edge-case. smile.gif

(I would have also stuck with 'astronomical', to be fair, but that's largely because I wouldn't even have considered 'astrological' and thus never come up with the realisation that it's actually rather fitting... so I'm also totally cool with what it is now.)

My understanding of astrology is that it's more like a religion than a science. You know, the astrology signs in the cosmos and how they're supposed to affect your personality and future and all that bunk. *sorry not sorry if you are someone who believes in it*

I don't think of what we're doing as astrology because it's based on facts of how the moons move, which is astronomy. Yes, it affects what color lunar herald we get but again, facts. Not wifty woo woo stuff about what house our stars are in.

My understanding of astrology is that it's more like a religion than a science.

Hmm. As far as I know, there wasn't always a distinction between astrology and astronomy. Early astronomy was practised hand-in-hand with early astrology. The people who did it certainly considered it a science - they were trying to find truths. That some of their assumptions about how the arrangements of the celestial bodies they were studying were affecting humans down on Earth were wrong (and with 'some of' I mean 'most of', although not all of them; the true ones have wandered out of what we now call 'astrology' and into the realms of other sciences, such as biology) doesn't really change that the humble beginnings were genuine attempts at science (insomuch as it can be said that there was anything resembling a rigorous definition of science, which there wasn't).

Basically, I think it's fine to consider astrology 'how the arrangement of celestial bodies affects creatures on Earth Valkemare', even if it's more scientific than what we consider modern day astrology to be. That's a fair definition of astrology, that just happens to be largely unscientific in our world.

(But I'm not fussed either way. Like I said, I too would have tended toward 'astronomy', largely because 'astrology' would not even have occurred to me without an outside nudge. And if it's confusing people, that's a very real reason to use 'astronomy' instead, no matter how justified 'astrology' may or may not be.)

Don't know if you are still gathering egg data or not, but here you go.

Time: 06:50 PM Dragon Cave Time (DC)

Date: 15 September 2015

Moon Phases:

I. Aurax (Gold Moon): Waxing Crescent

II. Cirion (Blue Moon): Waning Crescent

Lunar Heralds:

B. I bred a Bronze Lunar Herald egg. Lineage Link

Honestly, it doesn't bother me either way, either. I went for Astonomy and typoed, went, "OH NO!" and then went, "Well, wait... Google..." It seemed to fit, so I asked.

For those curious, this explanation is straight from the website of the American Astronomical Society:

"Astronomy is a science that studies everything outside of the earth's atmosphere, such as planets, stars, asteroids, galaxies; and the properties and relationships of those celestial bodies. Astronomers base their studies on research and observation. Astrology on the other hand, is the belief that the positioning of the stars and planets affect the way events occur on earth. If you're interested in the solar system and the planets, other celestial objects like asteroids and comets, other galaxies and the rest of the universe, what makes up space, and the possibility of alien life or space travel, Astronomy is the field you're considering."

In a way, what we're doing here is both.

Astronomy - Studying Valkemare's moons to see how they move, how long their phases are, and their relationships with each other.

Astrology - "Studying" how the moons' positioning affects the color of the Lunar dragons.

Like I said from the start, though, I'm not really sold on one or the other. Astrology was a typo and only stuck after I Googled the difference between the two. I'd be more than happy to change the buttons to "Astronomy" if that's where the general consensus is leaning.

Don't know if you are still gathering egg data or not, but here you go.

Time: 06:50 PM Dragon Cave Time (DC)

Date: 15 September 2015

Moon Phases:

I. Aurax (Gold Moon): Waxing Crescent

II. Cirion (Blue Moon):  Waning Crescent

Lunar Heralds:

B. I bred a Bronze Lunar Herald egg. Lineage Link

New egg data is always appreciated!! Thank you for your contribution!!

Also,

I don't. If that was the case, we would likely also be getting small numbers of gold and blue when we're getting bronze. It appears there will only ever be a single color being produced at any given time.

Not necessarily. I think bronze eggs are more of the case, where there isn't enough light from either moon to affect the egg color of the Lunar Heralds, so they come out brown.

In cases where there is enough light (Gibbous Moon and Full Moon Phases), the color of the predominant moon controls the egg color. We haven't yet had a situation where both moons shine with enough light to control egg color. It's entirely possible, we could get other egg colors (blue and gold) if both moons are, at least, in a Gibbous, because then, both moons are illuminated enough to give the Lunar Heralds the light they need for color.

Maybe Gibbous to Gibbous combinations would produce pure silvers (as they are just illuminated enough to produce color in Lunar Heralds), but maybe you could get other colors in Gibbous to Full combinations or Full to Full combinations, since one or more of the moons is maxed out on illumination.

Of course, it's likely I'm terribly wrong. As you said, we haven't had anything to indicate that there is a chance to get multiple Lunar Herald colors. And, that would further complicate an already complicated breeding scheme.

But, it's fun to think about.

--

As for the Astrology versus Astronomy debate... Well, technically, we are doing both, but considering that no one was even paying attention to the lunar phases until after Lunar Heralds came and and the moons became relevant to game-play (i.e. events and creatures inside the game itself and the actions of the players), I'd say we are more of an Astrological society than an Astronomical one.

If not, we wouldn't had even needed to make this thread... Or rather, it would have been made as soon as the Time page was created and named "Dragon Cave Moon Watch," not "Dragon Cave Moon Watch and Lunar Herald Theories," since we would just care about how the moons work and how the interact with Valkemare and the Rest of the Dragon Cave universe. (And once the Lunar Heralds were out, they would have separate thread for theories on how they work.)

But, I guess we could have buttons for both if it really is an issue.

Edit: As of 8:00PM DC/EST Time today, no phase change.

Edited by Shokomon

Was that time reference even *there* before the Lunar Heralds started dropping?

I remember saying it had come with the Lunars back in the beginning of the release, and then someone corrected me saying that it had been there prior to the release. I need to fine that post...

I'm actually not sure. I don't really have any other proof other than someone's word.

Though, I do remember another earlier post where one of the people who actively update the wiki stated that s/he considered watching the moon phases prior to the release, but never did so, and that s/he would do it now.

Hmm... I wish we had proof some how.

Cannot have been there for a long time, though. I've been going to the egg limits through the help site a couple of times (because it loads faster this way than by visiting your scroll and clicking your trophy) and I only ever saw that section ending with "ecology."

Was that time reference even *there* before the Lunar Heralds started dropping?

Yes. It has been there since the clock/new layout was added to the site. I specifically remember being fascinated with the fact that I could click on the clock to see specifics, but the information there didn't seem that dire at the time.

Yes. It has been there since the clock/new layout was added to the site. I specifically remember being fascinated with the fact that I could click on the clock to see specifics, but the information there didn't seem that dire at the time.

That. I was actually a bit surprised that no one made a point to watch the moon circle prior to the lunar heralds.

DC Moonwatch report: Aurax (Golden moon) Waxing gibbous

Cirion (Blue moon) New

Eggs are gold.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

DC Moonwatch report: Aurax (Golden moon) Waxing gibbous

Cirion (Blue moon) New

Eggs are gold.

ETA: does anyone what that egg? Someone who doesn't mind the link being posted here...

PM me.

Woot! The current theory is all but confirmed. We just need Silvers to drop at the expected time and length.

Also, for later:

----------------

--- Based on current data, it seems that Cirion's phases change faster than Aurax's.

----- Aurax takes 8 days to move from WaNing Crescent to New Moon and 7 days to move from WaXing Crescent to Waxing Gibbous.

----- Cirion takes 4 days to move from WaXing Gibbous to Full Moon, 3 days to move from WaNing Gibbous to WaNing Crescent, and 4 days to move from WaNing Crescent to New Moon.

----- Aurax's New Moon is 24 hours long.

----- Cirion's Full Moon is 24 hours long. New Moon Phase is unconfirmed to be 24 hours long.

----- Cirion and Aurax both skip the First Quarter and Last Quarter Phases.

Aug 29, 2015 @ 12:00 AM EST/DragonCave (DC) to Sep 01, 2015 @ 7:59 PM EST/DC.

Aurax: Waning Gibbous

CB Lunar eggs are Gold.

Sep 01, 2015 starting 8:00 PM EST/DC

Aurax: Waning Crescent*

Cirion: New*

CB Lunar eggs change from Gold to Bronze.

- The Gold egg drop lasted about 3 days and 17 hours.

* = TJ's post doesn't mention a phase change at the same time the new color drops, but we know the color change happened here. So, we assume the phase changed happened here too.

Sep 02, 2015 @ 12:00 AM EST/DC

Aurax: Waning Crescent

CB Lunar eggs are Bronze.

Sep 03, 2015 @ 12:00 AM EST/DC to Sep 05, 2015 @ 7:59 PM EST/DC

Aurax: Waning Crescent**

Cirion: Waxing Crescent**

** Exact time of change Unknown.

Sep 05, 2015 starting @ 8:00 PM EST/DC

CB Lunar eggs have changed from Bronze to Blue/Indigo, and Bred Lunar eggs have changed from Bronze to Blue/Indigo.

Sep 05, 2015 @ 12:00 AM EST/DC to Sep 09, 2015 @ 7:59 PM EST/DC

Sep 09, 2015 starting 8:00 PM EST/DC to Sep 10, 2015 @ 7:59 PM EST/DC

Aurax: New

Cirion: Full

Sep 10, 2015 starting 8:00 PM EST/DC to Sept 13, 2015 @ 7:59 PM EST/DC

Cirion: Waning Gibbous

Sep 13, 2015 starting @ 8:00 PM EST/DC

CB Lunar eggs have changed from Blue/Indigo to Bronze, and Bred Lunar eggs have changed from Blue/Indigo to Bronze.

- The Blue/Indigo egg drop lasted about 8 days.

Sep 14, 2015 starting @ 12:00 AM EST/DC to Sep 17, 2015 @ 7:59 EST/DC

Sep 17, 2015 starting @ 8:00 PM EST/DC

Aurax: Waxing Gibbous

CB Lunar eggs have changed from Bronze to Gold, and Bred Lunar eggs have changed from Bronze to Gold.

Sep 18, 2015 starting @ 12:00 AM EST/DC

Aurax: Waxing Gibbous

CB Lunar eggs are Gold, and Bred Lunar eggs are Gold.

[Edited by Shokomon]

Edit: Updating for confirmed 1st quater skip! Will update thread to exclude quarter phases.

Edit2: Adding current status.

Edited by Shokomon