Ansela Jonla

Glasses and contact lenses

I also remember being so fascinated that I could see the individual leaves move when the wind blew through the trees.

I think I was 8 when I first got glasses, but that is what amazed me, too!

I only need glasses for distance, really, although I wear bifocals when I wear my glasses because the distance lenses mess up my close vision.

My eyes are also very sensitive to light and I wear sunglasses often even when it is a bright cloudy day. It is worse since I had eye surgery several years ago for a detached retina. Unfortunately sunglasses can't be used against the glare of headlights at night.

Had glasses for about six months as a kid and my eyes corrected themselves, then needed them again when I started uni ten years ago. Although advised only for reading/computer work, I wear them for driving as well. I do notice these days if I try to watch TV or read without them as I will start to get a headache after a while, but I can watch/read mostly fine without them. Never contacts though; can't do with anyone or anything touching my eyes.

I wore glasses in mid to late 1990s until 2010. I did Implantable contact lenses (ICL).

Implantable contact lenses are also known as Phakic IOL. This treatment is generally recommended for patients under the age of 40, who do not need reading glasses. In most cases, the lens is positioned in front of the natural lens and behind the iris, however the exact positioning will depend on the lens chosen. With this treatment the natural lens remains in place, so the procedure is reversible.

Now I have perfect vision.

I still not wearing none of them but seriously thinking about wearing glasses these days. I still can see letters written on board but It's became harder. If decided, I may wear glasses from today or tomorrow.

I've been wearing glasses since first grade (thus the username xd.png). I'm pretty nearsighted, though at least it hasn't gotten any worse for the last few years. It's genetics--almost everyone in my family wears glasses or contacts. I can wear contact lenses, though I save them for certain occasions like performances or formal events. Can't be bothered to wear them on a normal basis.

I wear glasses for reading/watching screens

...so pretty much all the time xd.png

I used to wear contact lenses to change my eye colour. I have Heterochromia (irony heehee) and one of my eyes is blue, the other is green. I used to make both of my eyes green when I was a teenager. I felt self conscious about my eyes for some reason. Idk why, because now I really don't care - it makes me unique happy.gif

I've been wearing glasses ever since I was seven months old. Really. Most people don't believe me went I say that but I still have my first glasses. I'm far-sighthed and also was born with strabismus. Had a surgery to correct it but still gotta use glasses.

I also have a curse with them because I always manage to break them. One day, they were on the floor and I step on them. Another time I sat on them.

Once someone threw me a ball to the face and one of the lenses fell down. I tried to fix it with glue and of course, it didn't work, so the lense randomly fell down and I eventually lost it.

I personally dislike contact lenses. I don't like how I look without glasses and it would be hard to not use something that has been with me for pretty much my whole life.

I'm nearsighted and I started wearing glasses when I was in middle school. I was really excited to get them because everyone I knew who wore glasses was really smart. When I walked out of the office with them on for the first time I was so surprised by how detailed trees actually are. For the first time in my life I could actually make out the leaves on the trees.

I haven't tried contacts yet but my optometrist is suggesting that I try them out. I'm not super afraid of putting things in my eyes; I'm mainly worried about the lens getting lost inside my eye socket.

I've worn glasses since I was nine. My dad noticed that I had a hard time reading stuff from far away. My vision has gotten a lot worse since then, and I can't see without them.

When I was 10, me and my friend were playing rough, and he accidently hit my face, then my glasses fell off. I went to pick up my glasses, and they were broken in half. I have not broken a pair of glasses since.

I wear glasses for distance vision, but I notice my vision gets worse every time I take them off. If I don't wear them, my vision clears up. I still need them to see street names when I'm looking for a particular place, or reading subtitles on the TV. Aside from those two things, I usually try to keep them off and make my eyes work on their own.

I've worn glasses since like prep, whenever my first eye test was. Haha >__<

My eyesight is really bad I need to get the lenses thinned or they are like 1cm thick. It sucks because I can get glasses frames for $40, but they come with standard lenses, and the thinning is about $200 I think. I ended up getting two frames that were 2 for $125, and I only got lens thinning on one since it was so expensive, but I am so glad that I did. I don't wear the other ones, they are just an emergency pair for if my ones break.

I tried contacts but I couldn't see as well, and I had a bad experience with them too. I'm going to put it here but it's kind of super terrible so that's your warning.

Okay, so I was still learning to put them in, and I thought I had put one in, but I actually hadn't, and I tried to take it out and I pulled on my eye. I know a better way to check now, but I didn't really enjoy having them, and this made it worse so I gave up.

I got glasses when I was 6.

I got contacts when I was 14. On the first day when I went to the eye doctor to get the contacts, I could not get them in, and eventually my eyes got too sore to continue and I had to go home. I was able to get them in on the second visit though, and it was hard to do it at first, but eventually it became second nature. I had such a huge smile when leaving that day because it was just so amazing to have peripheral vision: before, it'd just be blurry on the side. However, in my last year or so of college, I was spending lots of long hours and keeping in my contacts for a long time, and it got to the point where I just couldn't wear contacts anymore because they irritated my eyes when I put them in for even a short time.

I got LASEK surgery last year (when I was almost 23). I recommend it 100%. It pays for itself in a couple years when you consider how much you're spending on glasses/contacts (especially if both), and it's SO nice just to be able to see all the time. I'm still impressed on bright days when my vision is sharpest, and waterparks are absolutely the best. The only downside is that I'd say my vision in dim light is slightly poorer and I see a bit of a "glow" around bright objects (such as new road signs with a bright glare), but you get used to that and it's not bad. The surgery is really quick, you're awake for the whole thing (though numbed and drugged), and it's completely painless; never felt anything afterward. (Although with LASEK, as opposed to LASIK, it takes a couple days to barely see well enough to work, and weeks to months to return to normal, but in the end they heal completely as if nothing was ever done to them.) I'm so glad I had it done; if your vision's stopped changing for a few years, and you're on the fence about it, I definitely recommend it.

I've worn glasses since I was about 9 or 10 years old. I have astigmatism, and I pretty much wear my glasses all the time. When I don't wear them, I find it hard to focus on objects and I get headaches from the eye strain. rolleyes.gif

I've been wearing glasses since about 4 years old. One of my eyes is nearsighted and the other is farsighted. I had to wear an eyepatch on one of my eyes until I was about 7. I only have my glasses now and I continue to get my prescription renewed usually every year.

I don't really want to try contacts because the thought of sticking something in your eye just grosses me out. I'm pretty used to my glasses and I never really feel them on my face since I've been wearing them all day for so long.

Edited by Dawnr0se

I kinda need glasses/contacts, but I keep putting it off because something about glasses just kinda irks me. I'm pretty sure my bad vision is due to my use of the computer, but I'm definitely not going to just stop using the computer. I'm a boring, unhealthy person so I literally have no hobbies and rely on the internet and electronics to entertain myself. Using the internet and playing video games are also my way of relaxing, except that I'll often look away and suddenly realize that my vision's become a little bit worse. Usually, I'll distract myself from unpleasant things with video games, but when video games are the cause of the problem it just creates a vicious cycle. :/

I did try those overnight contacts which were supposed to make your vision better, but I soon discovered I have an irrational fear of contact lenses on the same level as my fear of needles (aka, panicking and trying to escape the threat). So that obviously didn't work.

My eyesight got bad around when I was 9 or 10. We moved in to a new house, and I used to like reading in the semi-darkness (no idea why?), and as a result my eyesight steadily deteriorated.

I fought getting glasses for ages, even when I was clearly unable to see the board. Eventually got glasses at 12-13. Mainly alternate between glasses + contacts now because I honestly just hate wearing glasses.

I have been wearing eye glasses since second year high school or 14 years old. And now, I stopped wearing them after graduating from uni. I just can see well, but couldn't see farther objects such as blackboard back then. I find them irritating since they keep on falling off when I'm outside. I mostly wear them indoors when reading.

Like I said about a year ago, I wear glasses, but I have also used contacts. I thought it'd be more practical. I was never bothered by putting them in, but issue was finding a model that fit right and stayed comfortable for a full day. I think one of my eyeballs is a bit uneven so even if one contact would fit then the other wouldn't. I gave up on them and now use glasses always. Sometimes I accidentally fall asleep with them still on. The only practical issue I've got with glasses is when it's raining. Like,

*glasses on* I can't frickin' see for the raindrops!

*glasses off* I can't frickin' see AT ALL!

^^;

I used to wear contact lenses to change my eye colour. I have Heterochromia (irony heehee) and one of my eyes is blue, the other is green. I used to make both of my eyes green when I was a teenager. I felt self conscious about my eyes for some reason. Idk why, because now I really don't care - it makes me unique happy.gif

Heterochromia is gorgeous! <3

I wear glasses, I got my first pair when I was around 11-12. I must have needed them my whole life, because it was amazing to be able to see things accurately for the first time. I was shocked that what I was seeing was what people were supposed to be able to see, since I never really thought there was anything wrong before I got glasses. I remember being soo happy to see the small branches and leaves of trees sharply outlined against the sky, street signs, airplanes in the sky, even people's faces from across the room.

Been 4 eyed since I was 11. I can't wear them any longer due to dry eyes, I miss my contacts. I did have a few uncomfortable moments with them, however. Nothing freaks you out more than having one roll up high on your eye to where you need to pull it down with a fingernail (if you can get it at all)!

myopic since i was six, astigmatism since i was fourteen :^) i only wear contacts for costumes/cosplays and special events, i think i look better with glasses on! also one time i rubbed my eye too hard and a contact fell out so, like, ew

Aside from my mother and cousin sitting on my glasses? No, not really... except for that one time some idiot put pillows and books over my glasses and my other cousin went ahead and hopped right onto 'em. Smh I'm under threat, with mum saying I won't get another pair of glasses if these break again 😢 

Which is why I always tell them to give me a monocle. But aaargh, this is the 21st century ><

I had glasses between about age 7 and 13 but especially after entering puberty I became super self-conscious about it :(

(I don't think glasses are a bad thing in general or on others but I hated them on myself)

The only solution was to get contact lenses (as I can't see further than half a metre without any aid) which I have used for the last 13 years now.

Wow, I had kinda forgotten that it has been this long :o For me, they are better in any way and only have the slightest bit of a downside: my eyes are a bit more sensitive to (bright) light than they were before without contact lenses.

I got my first glasses when I was in primary school, although I can't quite remember which grade I was in back then. At first I felt embarrassed since I looked really different but when I got used to wearing glasses I started to feel like my face looks weird without glasses. Nowadays I couldn't imagine myself without glasses anymore, the current ones I have feel like a part of my appearance and I quite like how they look. :D Of course wearing glasses has downsides too but I've managed with those as well.