TehUltimateMage

ANSWERED:Add clock to all site themes

I love the Portal 2 skin and how it's on a dark background. Except, I find myself using the newest theme more and more so I can see the site clock to double check the drop times.

This is more of a suggestion than a request because I don't know how much work will go into editing the old themes, and the fact that I could look at the system clock instead when I go to catch eggs. But, it would be nice if it happened.

Edit: zaverxi also brought up the suggestion of having an easy link to the Time page, just so we can check the moons without digging through the help files.

Edited by TehUltimateMage

TJ said in the thread about retiring some skins that updating them is a massive and tedious chore and he's not prepared to do it, roughly speaking.

It's in this thread somewhere:

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=163318

in the first post./ And also:

Your post has this underlying assumption that customizing the CSS for each skin is a trivial task. The skins are architected such that CSS and images are the only differences. If I don't take the time to style new things for each skin, it'll probably work, but it'll be a pretty terrible experience. Not "caus[ing] eye-bleed" is below the bare minimum in web design.

I'm using St. Pat's at this point, and really have no need of the clock. I'm three hours off Cave time, but I haven't found lack of a clock to be a problem.

I use the portal 2 skin because it is the only one that doesn't cause me eye problems - I need a dark background with as little light "areas" as possible to help reduce the eye strain and sight problems I have. I can "get along" without the site clock but would really appreciate it if it was added to the skin.

It's not a must have, but wouldn't mind having this feature. smile.gif

Considering we now have to check the time to see what phase the moons are in, it might be a good idea to enable us to do that from the main page like you can with the 'default'. I also have a need to use the Portal 2 skin, and without knowing where to find the time, it can lead to complications. I only just recently found it hidden among all the other help files, so I know where it is NOW, but the default skin has a link to it right there at the top if you click the time.

If nothing else, adding a clock to Portal 2 theme would be immensely helpful since from what I can tell, people who can't use the default use this since it's the one that causes the least amount of problems for people due to its dark background and white text.

As I already said - TJ has said it is a lot of work checking what works in every skin.

IF this is such a problem, maybe a direct CLOCK link - but that's not a thing we need for the moon phases.

I use the portal 2 skin because it is the only one that doesn't cause me eye problems - I need a dark background with as little light "areas" as possible to help reduce the eye strain and sight problems I have. I can "get along" without the site clock but would really appreciate it if it was added to the skin.

I'm in agreement with you there. The others hurt my eyes badly if I look at them too long. A site clock would be loved so I can see what's going on time and moonwise

As I already said - TJ has said it is a lot of work checking what works in every skin.

I don't think the work put into testing all skins really negates this suggestion's plausibility. The clock is a useful and handy tool. Tbh, I don't see why it shouldn't be on every skin. Yes, it's going to be a pain to do the upkeep to add and make sure it's working correctly, but the clock isn't just some decoration. It's a utility the other skins are missing. =o