NotBambi

Returning abandoned eggs protocol

I can't imagine an egg I wouldn't return if asked nicely. Except I'm not sure I would return a CB metallic -- how would you know that the person actually ever had that egg?

I also can't imagine killing a dragon in spite to spoil a lineage of an egg that wasn't returned. What a mean-spirited thing to do!

I have autoed an egg or two in my time -- head-desk moments! One of them I enlisted help and a friend caught the egg in the AP (by the way, you cannot catch your own egg unless someone else has picked up and then abandoned it first -- not likely with a valuable egg.) The other was a Carmine that would have had no value to anyone but me really. I renamed the parents to ask for its return and got a very nice PM from someone who wouldn't even take anything in return for it.

This is the way it's been for me too. I renamed the parents (it's happened more than once *blush*) and the egg was returned to me. It was in every case a lineage project which I COULD have re-bred but - well, you know how it is; whenever you RE-BREED you get no interest for weeks ! I don't suppose if they had been rares I'd have been so lucky. People here are incredibly helpful when one is polite.

But if an egg of mine does end up in the AP - yes indeed, it is no longer mine and I have no rights over it at all. I can HOPE, if it was an accident, but.... I certainly wouldn't kill a parent if I didn't get the egg back.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Personally, I'd return an egg as long as the other person is being polite about it. I rarely run out of BSAs so "wasting" a teleport or influence isn't a big deal to me. However, if they start making threats (like killing a parent) or just being generally unpleasant, then they're not getting it back.

I once accidentally autoed an egg, it wasn't really a valuable egg as it was simply a second gen PB terrae, but it happened to belong to a breeding project I am working on. The egg got returned and I was inmensely grateful. That was the only time I ever asked for an egg to be returned, and I can't even remember the name of the user because my memory is terrible. If you read me and remember, know that I might have forgotten your name but not the deed and how grateful I was and still am. smile.gif

I have autoed other eggs. I remember once I accidentally bred a low lineaged silver which went to the AP. Oh well, I hope it made someone happy. Funny that the silver wasn't as valuable to me as the terrae. tongue.gif

You're so right. Actually I did not had that experience but I knew about the issue so when, not long ago, the person was posting a trade, I avoided it like the pest and I bet I was not the only one.

Anyway, back to topic. I've been quite lucky. My experiences with returning eggs were positive. The person that had bred the first egg I returned (and she is responsible for me joining the forum, so blame her tongue.gif) was offering a reward, I think was a CB Silver. That I do not took, not because I'm a saint but because while the returned egg was very valuable for her for lineage reasons, was not for me. Fair is fair. The latest experience (just happened) was very nice as well. The breeder found out that she didn't need the baby anymore and I have it back. Thank you, you know who you are smile.gif

Friends of mine, the ones that mocked me heavily and made me start this thread, had unpleasant experiences.

All things considered, after reading different posts, I think that I'll keep returning eggs even if I'm not asked to. In particular because, not having my username in my dragons and having a scroll username that is different from my forum username, that's unlikely to happen smile.gif But if I catch an egg in the AP with the names of the parents changed to give information, I will do my best to return it.

Edited because I can't write sad.gif

Lol, I have some lines ruined by this, and would never take another one from that dragon even as a gift, but luckily, others have also been sensibly avoiding that dragon since. If someone will spitefully ruin a line once, they've proven that they have that capacity and may do it again.

(If anyone mocked you heavily for being a decent person, I'd say anyone with any such revealed character merits some distance being kept... and I do think I've seen traces of a halo, going by the odd glimpse here and there and everywhere, lol.)

Personally, if I pick up something like a 2nd gen metal, (not that this happens often, lol,) I tend to check 1st thing to see if there's a scroll name showing to try to contact them, but sometimes even then, it's not the same as the member name. If I can, though, I do like to drop a note to check to see if they'd like it back - and no, they don't always write back or say thanks after taking the egg/hatchy back, either.

But I don't tend to do this with pretty common lineages anymore; since so many wonderful people do breed them for the AP, I tend to assume that they're just sweeties and send thankful thoughts.

The time I picked up a 2nd gen Prize, I have to admit that it would have been extremely painful giving it back, lol, (especially after the metaphorical heart attack I had picking it up and seeing the lineage, lol,) although I did check for a scroll-name and watch to see if the parent's names had been altered to a request. (And I'm SO selfishly grateful they didn't, lol! Although being a 2nd gen, it does NOT like to produce, lol.) It did seem as though a group of people were randomly gifting on the AP around that time, as others also appeared, and certainly somebody has/various people have a great big bunch of good karma accumulated. smile.gif

But at times I've picked up APed eggs with requests for return which I would have dropped back immediately and been stuck holding them for a while, so now I'll usually Influence and Incuhatch where possible before sending any links to those I contact for return, in case I wind up locked with them for very long.

So I'd definitely respond to any civil request (with proof, having been scammed before,) with the return of any egg. It's a human thing. smile.gif

Personally, even way back when AP dropping was the only way to trade, I felt that losing an egg meant to trade was a risk you took and losing the egg was a foreseeable consequence of doing so. I didn't feel that trying to get the egg back was acceptable then and I don't now. I wouldn't try to get an egg back that was lost in trade then and I wouldn't try to get a mistakenly abandoned or auto'd egg back now.

Now, having said all that, if I became aware that someone wanted an egg I had caught back, I would generally return it.

I was surprised by the "killing parent" action.

First thought was "ok, the dragon are theirs to do whatever they want". But...

What if the person with the abandoned egg is not active on forums? What if they simply don't speak English? Or they never check a lineage? I have some friends that play in the "I don't care" mode. So killing a parent will never affect them. Assuming that people will understand the death of a dragon as a retaliation sounds so... Human.

Anyways, I return eggs when I realize it is important to someone that seems to play fair. But I also believe in TJ's policy for this game.

Edited by Yliah

All things considered, after reading different posts, I think that I'll keep returning eggs even if I'm not asked to. In particular because, not having my username in my dragons and having a scroll username that is different from my forum username, that's unlikely to happen smile.gif But if I catch an egg in the AP with the names of the parents changed to give information, I will do my best to return it.

Edited because I can't write sad.gif

Well, yes, changing the dragon parents name is a pretty self evident way to signal HEY this is who I am... but also, some people put frozen dragons or other special dragons at the top of their scrolls and will add "My name is So and So On the Forums" or "You can Contact me via ...." or something that indicates how someone who is just looking at your scroll could get ahold of you. Be it Forums, IRC, email, other chat alternative, whatever.

I like people to know cuz I like the idea of being asked for gifts, or if someone wants to gift me gifts, or contact me, I want it to be easy for them. Mostly because I love gifting stuff, but sometimes it works in reverse too! Not all scrolls match and I know there are some ideas out there on optional suggestions for TJ to let people notify people of their Forum Profile from the Scroll like how we do it via Sig Links on the Forums ... but I also like it cuz I think it just looks nice and makes it more personalized.

And if you lose an egg, or someone really needs to get ahold of you for some reason, it gives them a way to do it without forcing them to have been a forum member first.

Wow, I'm sad to hear about the bullying. sad.gif Of course I would return an egg if I knew the breeder was looking for it (I've camped in the AP a couple of times, helping to find and return auto'ed eggs of friends), but the Terms and Conditions we all agreed to clearly state: "Bothering other users to return abandoned eggs or posting the eggs, hatchlings, or adult dragons without a user's permission are prohibited." (Emphasis added by me)

Luckily I never had any bad experiences like this myself, on the contrary. One time a very nice person tried to return a Vampire egg that I'd abandoned for others to find, thinking it was repulsed from my scroll. They didn't have to do it and I didn't want it back but it was very sweet.

I don't often get eggs from the AP - but if I saw someone had renamed their dragons asking for the egg back - I would give it back for sure. Same with a nice PM politely asking for it back.

I wouldn't expect anything in return - I don't think I would want to keep something knowing my keeping it was upsetting someone else. Although I would accept a lovely thank you gift if it was offered. smile.gif I feel like doing good deeds is a reward itself, like, it feels nice to do nice things for others. smile.gif

I would never expect an egg that I had auto'd to be returned - but if I asked nicely/renamed parents, it would be greatly appreciated and I would be offering that person something nice in return.

People that expect their egg back and do terrible things to dragons when they don't - that's pretty low.

i've goofed quite a few times, never bothered asking for them back. Partly because all my lineage projects are small and simple still. partly because i can breed another, may as well let the luck catcher keep their prize.

however if i picked up an egg and saw the parents name changed, i'd offer it back and try be a good sport. people make mistakes. This is only if the owners were polite though. I don't take well to rudeness and threats

Add one more to the "will return if asked nicely, but otherwise if it's off your scroll, there is no obligation to return it" camp here. Along the same lines, that's why I never make any trade/giveaway requirements about naming, no biting, and so on- once that egg is off my scroll, any right I had to how it is treated has been forfeited.

I ask that people name gifts, but of course I can't force them to do so. However, when I do ask, I tend to find even people who don't normally name are more likely to name it. So it's worth asking nicely. smile.gif As with asking for an APed egg back, honey catches more flies than vinegar. (Unless it's a Drosophila species, then the vinegar actually works very well! Ha!)