sparkle10184

2016 Presidential Election

So because I believe everyone matters I'm allowed to be mocked? Thats really nice.

That's not the point. What you've been saying is that we should focus on all lives rather than black lives. Obviously all lives matter, no one's saying that all lives don't matter. Like, if I say "I like this shirt" I'm not saying "I hate all other shirts"

That's not the point. What you've been saying is that we should focus on all lives rather than black lives. Obviously all lives matter, no one's saying that all lives don't matter. Like, if I say "I like this shirt" I'm not saying "I hate all other shirts"

From what I've been seeing around websites is it surely sounds like it's not like that at all. Some are going way to extreme with this and it really bothers me. So I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in on that. Well learned my lesson on that one. If you wish to talk about this with me anymore PMs are preferred.

At this point, I really don't like any of the candidates ...

Hillary, no. There is just no way I can ever support her as a candidate. She has way too much baggage and it seems to just keep on growing. At the end of the day, no more Clintons, no more Bush. Period. Being a politician should not be a career.

Trump. I'd rather take him than Hillary, and that is scary.

I hope that some of the others in the race picks up some steam.

But at the end, it is not just the president. It flows down to congress as well. IMO, Obama started things off badly when he told the republicans to 'they can come along for the ride, but they gotta sit in back.'. When one group feels shut out, no matter the reason, no matter if you feel it is valid or not ... it is almost impossible to work together from that point forward. That lasted for what ... two years while the dems held both the house and senate and then the gridlock started. Ried, Pelosi, Boehner, McConnell ... the folks in congress who are more interested in flipping off each other than actually working together. They all need to go.

Bill Clinton was the last president to be able to reach across the isle and work with both parties.

Just saw a poll that said that if the election was done now, Trump would win over both Clinton and Sanders by 40 - 44%. So if you don't want to see Trump in office, please, please make sure you're registered to vote - and pester your friends to get registered and make sure you all actually go out to vote! People not voting is one of the reasons Trump would win right now.

How to register to vote:

https://www.usa.gov/register-to-vote

http://www.eac.gov/voter_resources/contact_your_state.aspx

When your state primaries are:

http://www.politics1.com/calendar.htm - calendar by date

http://www.fvap.gov/vao/vag/appendix/state-elections - calendar by state (not completed yet)

I believe most states have a date you have to be registered to vote by to participate in the primary. Register to vote sooner rather than later!

I honestly think Donald Trump is a joke, the fact that people are supporting him makes me nauseous.

Ben Carson pisses me off as well, with his complete lack of knowledge on gay issues. According to him, being gay is a choice (because obviously he chose to be straight, right?) He also said that homosexuality is akin to pedophilia, which he ultimately apologized for, but in a very half-hearted way, if you ask me. He also uses religion a lot in his arguments, which always bugs me, no matter who it is. He also said ObamaCare is the worst thing since slavery, (??????) which is very confusing to me as someone who benefits from ObamaCare. There are some issues in which his views are similar to mine, but overall I think he would hold America back from the potential it has in this next term.

One of the most important things for me is Trans* Rights, and in order for any progression to happen on that front, a liberal needs to hold office. Gosh knows what will happen if a cis conservative gets to decide our fate. *shivers*

Another reason that having a liberal in office is imperative is because in the next one or two terms, three seats are most likely going to open for supreme court justices, and we need those spots to be filled with democrats.

Anyway, no matter who you believe to be the best choice in this presidential run, please remember to do your research on every candidate and vote!

I honestly think Donald Trump is a joke, the fact that people are supporting him makes me nauseous.

Ben Carson pisses me off as well, with his complete lack of knowledge on gay issues. According to him, being gay is a choice (because obviously he chose to be straight, right?) He also said that homosexuality is akin to pedophilia, which he ultimately apologized for, but in a very half-hearted way, if you ask me. He also uses religion a lot in his arguments, which always bugs me, no matter who it is. He also said ObamaCare is the worst thing since slavery, (??????) which is very confusing to me as someone who benefits from ObamaCare. There are some issues in which his views are similar to mine, but overall I think he would hold America back from the potential it has in this next term.

One of the most important things for me is Trans* Rights, and in order for any progression to happen on that front, a liberal needs to hold office. Gosh knows what will happen if a cis conservative gets to decide our fate. *shivers*

Another reason that having a liberal in office is imperative is because in the next one or two terms, three seats are most likely going to open for supreme court justices, and we need those spots to be filled with democrats.

Anyway, no matter who you believe to be the best choice in this presidential run, please remember to do your research on every candidate and vote!

The thing is that there are plenty of people who disagree with liberals for a WIDE variety of reasons... including, but NOT limited to the ones you mentioned.

I guess the bottom line IS that people just CAN'T agree on the best way to run this country.

Listen to some people and they would have you believe that liberals want to term this into a communist state or sell us to China or something.

Not ONLY that but on some comment boards I have seen people... both liberals and conservatives... get EXTREMELY rude with each other... as in the level of stuff that would undoubtedly get one banned on THIS forum.tongue.gif I get that people disagree, but some of this excessive emotion around it is, I think, part of the problem.

Edited by Silverswift

Wouldn't it be so interesting if the race came down to Hillary vs. Jeb? Another Clinton vs. Bush?

I still feel we should unleash Boris Johnson on you all biggrin.gif

Who caught the GOP debate last night?

I was very impressed by Carly Fiorina. I'm going to keep my eye on her.

Trump was, as always, hard to take seriously. Jeb Bush started out alright but it slowly turned into a bickering match between the two.

Ben Carson disappointed me by being so soft-spoken but it's clear that he's a very intelligent man. Although I disagree with his conservative views entirely, it's nice that he can actually construct a decent argument. Some of these candidates just can't argue. Logical fallacies everywhere. Very clumsily sidestepping questions.

Chris Christie seems to be one of the few who can actually debate. Marco Rubio, too.

As a disclaimer: I don't actually support any of the Republican candidates but there are some who I prefer over the others. I watched the debate not to root for anyone but just to form my own opinions on who can and cannot speak/argue/debate effectively.

I know I'm not voting for Trump. That's about it. I want to catch up on the campaigns and news before I make a final decision.

I'm not American, so I shouldn't ask this, but please, guys, support Bernie Sanders.

I'm voting for Bernie Sanders. I will continue to vote for him as long as his name is an option. Besides if trump SOMEHOW wins his primaries [yeah right] then any Democrat that runs against him is gonna be a more certain thing.

BERNIE BERNIE BERNIE BERNIE BERNIE! *chanting*

He more than anyone actually has a PLAN for how to help this country, and is NOT backed by big money. x.- He actually cares about the poorer people instead of trying to pretend she cares but still messing it up with her rich, white privileges like Hillary is. x.-

GO BERNIE!

Besides if trump SOMEHOW wins his primaries [yeah right] then any Democrat that runs against him is gonna be a more certain thing.

The sad thing is that this isn't true. This is a post of mine from a page back. Please, please help encourage your friends to vote!

Just saw a poll that said that if the election was done now, Trump would win over both Clinton and Sanders and Biden by 40 - 44% (largely because people don't vote). So if you don't want to see Trump in office, please, please make sure you're registered to vote - and pester your friends to get registered and make sure you all actually go out to vote! People not voting is one of the reasons Trump would win right now.

How to register to vote:

http://www.fvap.gov/vao/vag/appendix/state-elections - calendar by state (not completed yet)

I believe most states have a date you have to be registered to vote by to participate in the primary. Register to vote sooner rather than later!

People who makes excuses why they don't vote annoy me. It really isn't hard to vote.

Agreed^

Yes, sometimes people are busy and they have a legitimate reason, but a lot of the time it's just their not bothering to registre, or thinking that they don't have to vote or won't affect the elections by much.

One person is one person !!!

This very much comes to mind:

user posted image

I registered to vote back in 2012 and I was able to vote for the presidential election; I voted for Obama. I was very glad to see that he had won a majority of both the Popular and Electoral votes. I plan to vote again this year but, as I stated, I want to catch up on the news and campaigns over the next couple of weeks before I decide on who I'll vote for. Even though it's a very long stretch, I'm hoping that a non-Republican/Democrat party candidate eventually sees themself setting foot into the White House as the new president. I feel like it would make for much better changes.

I think voting should be compulsory. Not just in the US - everywhere. In Canada there is an option to decline your ballot when you show up to vote, while in the UK all you can do is write "a pox on the lot of you" which gets your paper counted as "spoiled" - which also covers people who accidentally voted twice, people who put the x in the wrong place etc. That's not ok, but the declined ballot + compulsory showing up to decline it works for me.

So hit me. Voting is essential. It's a duty.

I'm in agreement with you there, Fuzz. People forget how important it is to vote or they don't like anyone so they won't vote. Voting should be mandatory but there should also be a "new candidates" option so we have better control over who we actually want for president. That way, we can avoid the "lesser of two evils" options.

At this point, I'm caught between Sanders and Clinton. I don't like how wishy-washy Sanders seems to be about foreign policy (he hasn't said much but he's shown a lot of support for engaging in war and then back peddling against it). Clinton, on the other hand, has made it clear she won't back down but still vies for diplomacy. I'm not a fan of war - I'd rather the leaders of each country fight their own battles instead of sending others to fight an issue that isn't their concern. (Imagine how many compromises and settlements would result from that in a timely fashion.) However, Clinton's policy is something I favor more than Sander's questionable stance.

I might vote for Clinton actually. She's not perfect but she is a change. And America needs to change. The biggest change is that she's a woman; we're so far behind other countries in having a female leader that it's ridiculous. True, Sanders is focusing more on domestic matters (which is a good think to hear because government focuses too much on sticking their noses in the business of other nations where they don't belong), but Clinton is addressing more than just Foregin Policy. She's addressing the ridiculous debt that college students have to suffer with too. And, as a woman, she understands a little bit better about women's rights. Men can too but not a lot do because of the "Feminazi" bull that puts people off and undermine the legitimate definition of what feminism means, undermining the work and effort of people fighting a good fight.

I still need to learn more of what's been happening and what each candidate is campaigning for but, that's my current stance.

Edited by Narvix

The sad thing is that this isn't true. This is a post of mine from a page back. Please, please help encourage your friends to vote!

Just saw a poll that said that if the election was done now, Trump would win over both Clinton and Sanders and Biden by 40 - 44% (largely because people don't vote). So if you don't want to see Trump in office, please, please make sure you're registered to vote - and pester your friends to get registered and make sure you all actually go out to vote! People not voting is one of the reasons Trump would win right now.

How to register to vote:

THIS. PLEASE VOTE!

If just ONE person thinks their vote won't matter, that might be true. The problem is everyone thinks their one vote won't matter, and when that one vote is multiplied by millions, it makes a HUGE difference! The whole mindset of our country has to change. It is not just our right to vote, but it is our responsibility as citizens of the United States to excerise that vote, whether you think your one vote will make a difference or not.

Also, to piggy back on what Sock said, many states have closed primaries or closed caucuses. This means that unless you are affiliated with the Republican party, you won't get to cast a vote in the Republican primary/caucus. It also means that unless you're affiliated with the Democratic party, you won't get to cast your vote in the Democratic primary/caucus.

I am currently registered as a Libertarian, but I feel it is important to vote in one of my state's caucuses. In order to do so, I will change my affiliation so that I will be allowed, and after it is over, I will change it back. It is THAT important! Please exercise your rights! If you don't, it is as though we don't have these rights at all!

----------

Personal opinion update following the recent Republican debate:

I felt Trump showed his true colors. He came out throwing punches. Is that someone you really trust to make foreign countries like us again in the way he claims to be able to do? I also noted that as the conversation turned to more substance, he began to fade from the discussion. When it came to real issues, he had nothing. He is looking more and more to be all pomp and circumstance.

I felt Bush came ready to debate the issues. He looked very mature standing there as Trump and Walker had their childish back and forth. I also appreciated the way he refused to bash his brother while distancing himself from the former president's policies. He comes across as someone that can possibly be trusted.

I felt Carson neither helped nor hurt himself. He seemed very flat all night long.

I felt Fiorina and Christie came to play. They each had numerous "mic drop" moments, especially Fiorina. I will be watching these two closely in the coming weeks.

Edited by Millie_Azure

Not a big fan of bernie, since he won't stand for "Black lives matter,"

Not sure if serious or just ignorant.

I'm not american but if I could I would vote for Bernie Sanders.

I don't like Trump because of what he did to his wife.

Edited by DangerDragon

I don't like Trump because of what he did to his wife.

Which one? wink.gif

I hate trump. He's so arrogant. "Oh, I'm number 1 in the polls, I'm SO totally number one in all of the polls, I'm amazing, my nickname would be humble," blah blah blah.

I totally agree! I know I'm not American, but I still can't believe that people would actually think to vote for him.

This american election is a bit of a joke, personally, I think there'd no-one like Obama in years to come.

For anyone unsure if they'd be able to make it to the voting box come election time, I highly recommend absentee voting. It's something that can be submitted based on your own personal schedule before the election.

And if anyone is STILL not convinced how important their vote is during election time, take a look back at the last presidential election. It pretty much came down to the swing state of Ohio, and even THEN, Obama won with less than a 2% lead over Romney.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_pol...very_close.html

http://www.politico.com/2012-election/resu...president/ohio/

This american election is a bit of a joke, personally, I think there'd no-one like Obama in years to come.

I'll admit that I'm not a fan of Obama, but I think that even democrats and more liberal leaning individuals will say, he's not perfect and shouldn't be put on a pedestal. Obama's not the greatest when it comes to his foreign policies. As well, he's not the ideal individual to unify a country, especially one split between party lines. These are qualities important to a world leader.

Edited by Daydreamer09

Personal opinion update following the recent Republican debate:

I felt Trump showed his true colors. He came out throwing punches. Is that someone you really trust to make foreign countries like us again in the way he claims to be able to do? I also noted that as the conversation turned to more substance, he began to fade from the discussion. When it came to real issues, he had nothing. He is looking more and more to be all pomp and circumstance.

I felt Bush came ready to debate the issues. He looked very mature standing there as Trump and Walker had their childish back and forth. I also appreciated the way he refused to bash his brother while distancing himself from the former president's policies. He comes across as someone that can possibly be trusted.

I felt Carson neither helped nor hurt himself. He seemed very flat all night long.

I felt Fiorina and Christie came to play. They each had numerous "mic drop" moments, especially Fiorina. I will be watching these two closely in the coming weeks.

It just came out this morning that Carson would not support a Muslim as president of our country. In my opinion, that is blatant discrimination. I cannot support that, and Carson has officially lost my vote. A president's religion shouldn't matter because a president needs to check his or her religion at the White House door. It is called separation of church and state. Believe what you want, it is your right as an American citizen, but you must do your job. If you cannot separate the two, perhaps becoming president isn't the best choice for you to make.