TJ09

2015-08-29 - August Release

While I went looking for the blue Lunars (since I could only get two at the initial drop because I still had bronze ones to hatch) I ended up with a cave-born Spessartine <3 so I still got that to hatch, two seasonals, two more blue Lunars and a black. Hoping they hatch before the silvers drop so I can get four or five of them...

I was super bored this morning so I snatched three more blue lunar heralds. They're dropping much less now, but still not difficult to catch. In five hours they are gonna be gifted to an amazing person who made me this amazing set of avatars. wub.gif

Edited by *Silver Fox*

Hmmm...

Cirion went from "new" to "waxing gibbous" in abot 3 days, 20 hours.

That would mean (if it has a regular orbit) that it takes about 15 days for it (+- a day) to do one full cycle. Quite the fast little runner, this one !

Aurax on the other hand has been waning ever since the 29th, without reaching new moon yet. Out of that more than 7 full days in a waning crescent. So in a regular orbit that would mean 28++ days for one full cycle. (Same as, or even a little slower than, our moon.)

That said - maybe the ratio is a conveniently exact "2 cycles of Cirion for 1 cycle of Aurax".

And if the silver Heralds really need both moons being gibbous to full, that would mean we'd still have to wait for quite a while to see them, going through the other colours again first.

Let me try to show what I mean. I'll start from a point where both moons are full and going to wane:

A stands for Aurax, C for Cirion, gib for gibbous, cre for crescent (waxing or waning doesn't matter)

A gib + C gib = Silver

A gib + C cre = Gold ----> we started in this window

(Aurax still waning, Cirion reached new moon here)

A cre + C cre = Bronze

A cre + C gib = Indigo/Blue ----> we are in this window now

(Aurax arrived at new moon here, Cirion is full)

A cre + C gib = Indigo/Blue

A cre + C cre = Bronze

(Aurax still waxing, Cirion at new moon)

A gib + C cre = Gold

A gib + C gib = Silver

(Aurax is full, having completed one cycle, Cirion is full after completing two cycles in the same time)

Each of these windows is about as long as the time between the release of Bronze and Indigo/Blue, that means 4 days.

That would amount to:

4d Gold

4d Bronze

8d Indigo/Blue

4d Bronze

4d Gold

8d Silver (starting at the 21st)

and back to the start

...and now I can't wait to see if that's right or rubbish ! laugh.gif

Edited by Lantean_Pegasus

Looks last night was a good night to pass out because nothing happened. laugh.gif

I was so tired too, so it was good to sleep early and not miss anything...

-------------------

In other news,

- The Indigo eggs are still dropping. I repeat, the indigo eggs are still dropping!

- No phase change either.

- As always, please tell me if I forgot anything.

A CURRENT SUMMARY OF WHAT WE KNOW ABOUT THE MOON AND EGGS:

(For everybody who was late to the party and/or wants updates)

-------

- We have Beautiful pseudo-six-winged Lunar Heralds, the former prize breed, moon-loving dragons!

- Currently, Aurax (Gold Moon) and Cirion (Blue Moon) are still in the WaNing Crescent and WaXing Gibbous phases respectively.

- Everyone is still catching Blue/Indigo eggs in the Cave

- We have Adult dragons, and we are breeding Blue/Indigo Lunar eggs.

- The eggs are found in the Alpine, Desert, and Volcano Biomes. (Think places where the sky is easily seen.)

- So far, Gold, Bronze, and Blue/Indigo eggs have dropped in the Cave! Bronze and Blue/Indigo eggs have been bred.

- Info on the current moon phase can be accessed from the Time page, which you can get to by clicking the clock in the top right hand corner of the new Standard DC skin, by going to the Help page and clicking Time Reference link, by going to the first page in this thread and clicking the link in the banner, OR by clicking the 3 above links embedded in this post.

- As of Sept 05, 2015 @ ~9:00PM, Indigo Lunar eggs began dropping en masse! Go and grab them!!!

- No one had been tracking the moons until now, so we have no idea how quickly they change. So, we cannot accurately predict what eggs will come when.

- That means no one knows how to get the other egg colors until the other moon phases come and the lunar cycle completes itself.

- There is a possibility that the release started in the middle of the Waning Gibbous phase for Aurax and Waning Crescent phase for Cirion.

- Based on current data, it seems that Cirion's phases change faster than Aurax's.

- IMPORTANT: All data before 09/03/13, 1:56 PM was incorrect as the time page was showing Aurax's phase for BOTH moons. TJ has provided a corrected cycle in his post.

- This does NOT affect the information gathered on the eggs, just the moon phases the eggs were caught/bred under.

- The cycle has progressed, and so far we know: (Taken and modified from TJ's post)

Aug 29, 2015 @ 12:00 AM EST/DragonCave (DC) to Sep 01, 2015 @ 7:59 PM EST/DC.

Aurax: Waning Gibbous

Cirion: Waning Crescent

CB Lunar eggs are Gold.

Sep 01, 2015 starting 8:00 PM EST/DC

Aurax: Waning Crescent*

Cirion: New*

CB Lunar eggs change from Gold to Bronze.

- The Gold egg drop lasted about 3 days and 17 hours.

* = TJ's post doesn't mention a phase change at the same time the new color drops, but we know the color change happened here. So, we assume the phase changed happened here too.

Sep 02, 2015 @ 12:00 AM EST/DC

Aurax: Waning Crescent

Cirion: New

CB Lunar eggs are Bronze.

Sep 03, 2015 @ 12:00 AM EST/DC to Sep 05, 2015 @ 7:59 PM EST/DC

Aurax: Waning Crescent**

Cirion: Waxing Crescent**

CB Lunar eggs are Bronze, and Bred Lunar eggs are Bronze.

** Exact time of change Unknown.

Sep 05, 2015 starting @ 8:00 PM EST/DC

Aurax: Waning crescent

Cirion: Waxing Gibbous

CB Lunar eggs have changed from Bronze to Blue/Indigo, and Bred Lunar eggs have changed from Bronze to Blue/Indigo.

- The Bronze egg drop lasted about 4 days.

Sep 05, 2015 @ 12:00AM EST/DC

Aurax: Waning crescent

Cirion: Waxing Gibbous

CB Lunar eggs are Blue/Indigo, and Bred Lunar eggs are Blue/Indigo.

[Edited by Shokomon]

- Note: The Moon Phases TJ posted were Phases of the moon at 12:00 AM EST of their respective date. That is why the post doesn't match up with the color change.

- We can assume that on Sept 1, 2015, the phases changed at 8:00 PM EST/DC, where Aurax shifted Waning Gibbous to Waning Cresent, and Cirion from Waning Cresent to New Moon.

- There are many theories on how the eggs will come and when, including, but not limited to:

• 1) Certain eggs being available during different phases of the moons in general, under the assumption that the moons are in synch, and will share the same moon phases.

2) Certain eggs being avaliable relative to the different phases of each moon (assuming the moons are NOT in synch) and overlap between both moons' phases.

3) One moon's phases controlling cave-born colors and the other moon's phases controlling bred colors.

4) Certain Lunar eggs colors are linked to Aurax, and the other colors are linked to Cirion.

5) Gold is the CB color, and the others could be Bred colors.

6) The Lunar egg colors are based on what percentage of the moons are illuminated. If one moon is greater than 50% illuminated (gibbous to full), while the other moon is less than 50% illuminated (crescent to new), then Lunar eggs are the color of the dominant moon. If both moons are equal in illumination, other colors show up.

- Exactly which moon phase produces what eggs, which moon controls breeding and caveborn colors, and which colors are associated with which moon are up for debate.

- The Lunar Heralds' description has given some support to Theories 1, 2, and 6.

- The newest phase change, recent egg colors, and TJ's correctional post seems to support Theory 2 and 6.

- There are also theories about the DC lunar cycle itself, including, but not limited to:

• 1) The Moons are in synch and share phases.

2) The Moons are NOT in synch, and occasionally have overlapping phases.

3) The DC Lunar cycle is equivalent to Earth's Lunar cycle, and the current phase will change in at  most a week.

- And there more theories on the size of the moons, their relative speeds, their distance from Valkemare, and the list goes on.

- As of the most recent change and TJ's correctional post, the moons' phases are not in synch͵ supporting Theory 2.

- LadyLyzar will tells us more about the dragons, once we start getting adults.

- TJ stated that the orbits of Valkemare's moons are close to circular, and the centre of mass would be close to the planet as it is much larger in size.

--- (Sorry for the confusion here! I completely misinterpreted what TJ posted. Thank you pinkgothic for making a much more accurate summary statement.)

- LadyLyzar seems to hint that the Lunar Heralds may have been initially intended to be prize dragons, and later states that they were made at the same time as the Shimmers.

- LadyLyzar confirms that the 2nd and 3rd set of wings are in fact illusions. Only the top ones are real and that it is not motion illusion.

- LadyLyzar has given us information on the Adults!

- LadyLyzar is giving us a pretty Gold Lunar Herald avatar to match her own avatar. She'll give us the Bronze avatar once we start getting adults.

--- She has given us the Bronze Herald Avatar!

- LadyLyzar states that Lunar Heralds do indeedhave metallic scales, but she didn't intend for them to be classified as "metallic dragons" like Golds and Silvers. As they were originally intended to be prizes, she wanted to make them shiny and pretty.

- LadyLyzar does not call the "blue" Lunar eggs "Indigos;" She just states that the "blues" are indigo in color as indigo is her favorite color, which makes sense as the "blue" lunar was meant to be her Alt. She later has reaffirmed this, stating that there is no official name for the "blue" Lunars and that they really are just indigo in color as they were to be her alt were these dragons to be chosen as prize dragons.

-LadyLyzar states that the element for the Lunar Heralds had not been planned out, and that she would put them as "Light" element.

- The description for the Lunar Heralds has been updated from this:

Lunar Heralds are deeply attuned to the two moons of Valkemare, Aurax and Cirion. Strictly nocturnal, they draw energy from moonlight and will only hunt when the moons have waned. When breeding, the amount of moonlight the parents receive from each moon will determine the color of the egg produced.

- To this:

Lunar Heralds are deeply attuned to the two moons of Valkemare, Aurax and Cirion. Strictly nocturnal, they draw energy from moonlight and will only hunt when the moons have waned. When breeding, the amount of moonlight the parents receive from each moon will determine the color of the egg produced. When a Lunar Herald is struck by direct moonlight, an illusion of multiple wings may appear. Witnessing a Lunar Herald’s illusory wings is commonly believed to be a sign of good fortune.

Threads!

- Lunar Herald Breeding and Naming

- DC Moon Watch and Lunar Herald Theories

Documents!

- DC Moon Watch & Lunar Egg Tracking

And, I think that's it for the summary.

Edited by Shokomon

Hmmm...

That would mean (if it has a regular orbit) that it takes about 15 days for it (+- a day) to do one full cycle. Quite the fast little runner, this one !

Aurax on the other hand has been waning ever since the 29th, without reaching new moon yet. Out of that more than 7 full days in a waning crescent. So in a regular orbit that would mean 28++ days for one full cycle. (Same as, or even a little slower than, our moon.)

That said - maybe the ratio is a conveniently exact "2 cycles of Cirion for 1 cycle of Aurax".

And if the silver Heralds really need both moons being gibbous to full, that would mean we'd still have to wait for quite a while to see them, going through the other colours again first.

Let me try to show what I mean. I'll start from a point where both moons are full and going to wane:

A stands for Aurax, C for Cirion, gib for gibbous, cre for crescent (waxing or waning doesn't matter)

A gib + C gib = Silver

A gib + C cre = Gold  ----> we started in this window

A cre + C cre = Bronze

A cre + C cre = Bronze

A gib + C cre = Gold

A gib + C gib = Silver

(Aurax is full, having completed one cycle, Cirion is full after completing two cycles in the same time)

Each of these windows is about as long as the time between the release of Bronze and Indigo/Blue, that means 4 days.

That would amount to:

4d Gold

4d Bronze

8d Indigo/Blue

4d Bronze

4d Gold

and back to the start

Aurax has never reached New Moon phase yet. Evidence for this is that it can't go from Waning Gibbous to W. Crescent to New Moon and then back to W. Crescent. If your theory was correct, it would be on Waxing Crescent now.

From Gold to Bronze, both Aurax and Cirion changed phases (less moonlight), with Cirion changing twice (less moonlight then more). From Bronze to Blue, only Cirion changed phase (more moonlight). Considering that the dragon description says the amount of moonlight affects the breed's colour, I'm going to predict that silvers will drop when Cirion goes to Full Moon considering that would be it's next phase and it seems to change phase faster than Aurax.

Edited by bluesonic1

Aurax has never reached New Moon phase yet. Evidence for this is that it can't go from Waning Gibbous to W. Crescent to New Moon and then back to W. Crescent. If your theory was correct, it would be on Waxing Crescent now.

No, according to my theory it should reach New Moon tonight, DC time. Probably around 8 pm, or midnight. We are in the last day of waning crescent right now, as my "we are here" indicates. Well, if my theory is right at all...

I still say silvers tonight. tongue.gif

No, according to my theory it should reach New Moon tonight, DC time. Probably around 8 pm, or midnight. We are in the last day of waning crescent right now, as my "we are here" indicates. Well, if my theory is right at all...

From the current data, there is no evidence to support that Aurax will change phase tonight (DC-time). At this stage, it's not even an educated guess. From Gold to Bronze, the phase change took 4 days (keeping in mind that we don't even know if the phase started when the Golds dropped). It has now been 8 days in the same phase, with Cirion changing phase and causing Bronze eggs to turn Blue. There is no pattern in terms of Aurax's phases so no accurate prediction can be made.

Cirion had its first phase for ~4 days, then New Moon for 1 day, and the next phase for almost 4 days. This current phase has been on for almost 4 days- with this moon we are beginning to see a pattern and can make a prediction that at 8pm DC-time tonight, Cirion will change phase to Full Moon, and it is likely that this phase may also last 1 day as New Moon did.

Because the Lunar Herald's colours don't depend on just one moon, it is hard to make predictions about what moon phase(s) exactly will affect the silver colour. Because the colour changes so far have been occurring after each colour drops for ~4 days, and combining with the prediction above regarding Cirion, we can say that it is likely that at least Cirion's Full Moon phase will affect the silver Lunar Herald's colour.

I still say silvers tonight. tongue.gif

That's what I'm thinking! I can't wait for the Silvers--they are my favorite of the 4 biggrin.gif

From the current data, there is no evidence to support that Aurax will change phase tonight (DC-time). At this stage, it's not even an educated guess. [...]

You are perfectly right, there is no evidence for Aurax so far.

But I think it reasonable to assume that the two moons orbiting in a regular pattern compared to each other is more likely than two completely independent cycles that make breeding windows shift all over the place. (From a technical point of view, not a scientific one.) And 2:1 gives a neat, repeating pattern, that's why I based a theory on that.

Of course I can't predict anything, that's why I call it a theory. wink.gif

Oh, and for clarification: I assume that the full/new moon is incorporated in the crescent/gibbous phase, not counted separately. And yes, that's just an assumption as well.

PS: The Silvers are my favourites, too, so if my idea gets blown out of the water at 8 pm by them being released I'll be just as happy. smile.gif

I grabbed another blue egg this morning.

I also managed to grab a silver egg in the desert. Was surprised to see it, and even more surprised that I got it. I saw the "beautiful glow" description, hesitated a second or two and then clicked and still got it.

You are perfectly right, there is no evidence for Aurax so far.

But I think it reasonable to assume that the two moons orbiting in a regular pattern compared to each other is more likely than two completely independent cycles that make breeding windows shift all over the place. (From a technical point of view, not a scientific one.) And 2:1 gives a neat, repeating pattern, that's why I based a theory on that.

Of course I can't predict anything, that's why I call it a theory. wink.gif

Oh, and for clarification: I assume that the full/new moon is incorporated in the crescent/giboous phase, not counted separately. And yes, that's just an assumption as well.

PS: The Silvers are my favourites, too, so if my idea gets blown out of the water at 8 pm by them being released I'll be just as happy. smile.gif

This is just more constructive criticism, but never make assumptions. They make theories weak. There's nothing wrong with saying that you have insufficient data to make an accurate prediction with, in fact many of the times it's better. It means that people are then more likely to take your theory seriously because you can show that you put in the time and effort to make it as accurate as possible. It also means that if anyone wants to use your theory as part of a different theory of theirs, you've done your part to help minimize any errors on their part smile.gif

I grabbed another blue egg this morning.

I also managed to grab a silver egg in the desert. Was surprised to see it, and even more surprised that I got it. I saw the "beautiful glow" description, hesitated a second or two and then clicked and still got it.

For a moment there I thought you were talking about Silver Lunar Herald's. xd.png

My 7 Sapphires have all gendered perfectly! Can't wait for the Silvers now.

@bluesonic1:

You are completely right on that as well. smile.gif And in any remotely scientific context (or others that were based in finding out things of any real impact on acting or understanding) I'd say that as well. smile.gif

In this case, though, I just wanted to throw another what-if out there, for people to peruse. As it has been done during the whole thread. I guess my main error lies in calling it another "theory" and not another "speculation". Because that's what it is: A speculation that would work in the context both of DC's technical/organisational side and the facts that we have so far. So it's as good as any other speculation until something happens (for example Aurax not changing to the next phase between now and tomorrow, or Silvers being released today) to prove it wrong.

In any case: Thank you for keeping things clear.

Edit: Darn, this computer needs a new keyboard, I have to run around adding missing letters in every post I make...

Hmmm...

A gib + C gib = Silver

A cre + C cre = Bronze

A cre + C cre = Bronze

A gib + C cre = Gold

A gib + C gib = Silver

That would amount to:

4d Gold

4d Bronze

8d Indigo/Blue

4d Bronze

4d Gold

and back to the start

I like your theory. Even considering that, if you're right, we will not get silver Lunar Heralds any time soon.

A gib + C gib = Silver

A cre + C cre = Bronze

A cre + C cre = Bronze

A gib + C cre = Gold

A gib + C gib = Silver

That would amount to:

4d Gold

4d Bronze

8d Indigo/Blue

4d Bronze

4d Gold

and back to the start

Ah, yes, this makes the most sense to me! I'm joining your camp and predicting another four days of blue. Cycling in to silver and then back to gold just doesn't make much sense to me from a purely moonlight perspective.

Dear everyone tracking the moon cycles,

THANK YOU! You are all smarter than I am, and far more detail oriented. I look forward to gratefully relying on you for all lunar color changes.

Love,

Toyo

One of my blue hatchies gendered! I just hope the rest gender as planned since I influenced them to each have a pair from their biomes. I'm leaving my slots open for when the Silvers start dropping biggrin.gif

I feel the same about Silvers, and I like your theory. A clear win-win situation. smile.gif

I just wanted to drop in and say THANK YOU to TJ for not making these impossible to catch as the new colors come out. They are just challenging enough to be a challenge without losing my mind, on my crap connection.

Heeee! The first of my blues has gendered! biggrin.gif

.....sitting here with 5 open egg slots. Augh! I can't even go AP hunting since I'd hatchielock myself for the silver drop tomorrow.

Same situation here... Must NOT look at AP...