Morell

Breeding with wild dragons

Yes, your luck is beyond normal, I think.

Just one more go....

dragon 1

dragon 2

dragon 3

I swear I'm not faking the results - Wilderness seems to love me. tongue.gif

Anyway, I believe that the only reason we have so many released dragons is that people, knowing released dragons are out of reach to anyone, preffered to release than kill. I bet that if now wilderness breeding was introduced, the percentage of kills over releases would raise dramatically. Which would, as a result, affect much more of the living dragons' lineages, which would be devastating. We don't like randomly 'deceased' in the lineages, do we? Espcially if the non-deceased version was pretty and we used the dragon  for some great project... Which now got ruined just because sb wanted to get rid of a dragon but didn't want to let it be bred by others, so one killed the dragon istead of just releasing it.

This is precisely why I feel that all dragons that were released prior to potentially introducing Wilderness breeding should be auto-nonbreedable and that all players should be able to decide whether their dragon would be available for breeding after their release should such a change like this be implemented.

Releasing dragons is a simple and effective alternative to killing and is a useful feature to have should one end up with a dragons one doesn't want to keep- I know they're just pixels, but personally, if I had a dragon on my scroll I wanted to be rid of, but also would not want it as a part of someone's lineage, I'd rather be able to release it then be forced into killing it.

I insist on chanigng the suggestion into adding a new kid of 'biome'(/page/area) called 'breeding stables' I mentioned before, which would create a third 'get rid of a dragon from your scroll' option which wouldn't affect the wilderness and wouldn't rise the kills ratio.

This way noone would be harmed and some people would be happy for breeding opportunity with some dragon outside of their scroll.

I really like your breeding stables idea and I'd love to see a separate suggestion thread for it with more details. smile.gif

The way I see it, 'breedable part of the Wilderness' as I suggested and your 'Breeding Stables' are similar ideas at heart - please correct me if I misinterpreted this in any way, but if I understood correctly, players that would decide to abandon their dragons would have an option to either release them into the Wild (and thus make them non-breedable) or entrust them to a breeder, who is sort of their caretaker, and these dragons would then be available for breeding in this new biome. A player would be able to send their dragon into the Breeding Stables and the breeder would bring a couple of available mates.

In 'breedable part of the Wilderness' idea I envisioned, all dragons would be released into the Wild, but upon releasing their dragon, players would be able to decide whether they want their dragon to be available to breeding or not, creating a sub-biome within the current Wildeness. Players would be able to send their dragon into the Wilderness and it would attract a mate (the chance of dragon actually attracting a mate is up for discussion) from the newly created sub-biome.

In both ideas, the Wilderness as it currently exists would remain intact, as all dragons that would be available for breeding would go into a different biome.

Just a question - do you consider dragons that would be entrusted into the care of the breeder as wild or still domestic?

This sounds good - like others, I've only ever Released inbreds.

Various messies picked up before TJ gave us our lovely lineage viewers and I became more aware of lineages (and some I must have picked up without noticing somewhere, apparently replacing others I was sure I'd had) remain on my scroll, but after gifting/trading some inbreds without my even noticing them, I went through and cleaned them out - things like that should not be opened for breeding, and while probably most Released dragons are not suitable for breeding, many of those from burnt scrolls might be.

And while I've always liked the idea of my Released dragons being free (yes, I read Born Free as a child and it's marked me forever, lol,) and of the Wilderness dragons living for themselves and bound to no human purpose, belonging only to themselves, if the burnt scrolls went to a breeding stable and people Releasing dragons had an option to send them to one, it would avoid that issue.

(Personally, I think the whole idea sounds un-DC-ish and too much like various other games I wouldn't bother with and there are MANY other things which I think would improve the actual game for far more people which I'd MUCH rather see TJ spend his limited time and effort on, if I were only Queen of the Universe rather than the Official Typo Queen, but at least that direction would avoid thousands of Released inbreds/messies being dredged in from the Wildness at the beck and call of people they'd been trying to avoid - apart from passing tourists, of course. laugh.gif )

I've had a couple of autoed eggs for lineages (Europe in particular...) end up in the wilderness.... And I have released a few that were pretty, when I was worried about SPACE. I am so over that now !

I believe that the adult dragons from burnt scrolls go the Wilderness rather than being killed, so that might account for some of the CBs/nice lineages.

(Still totally believe that the Wild dragons should not be forced into use by humans, just be viewed in the Wild rather than having to be a useful asset - that's one of the unique charms which makes DC special, in my opinion.)

This is kind of the mindset that's going on in our world right now. I'm part of a wildlife protection group and it's kind of sad how an ecosystem is valuable as long as it brings some kind of economic profit. The fact that an ecosystem in itself means food, oxygen and clean water, which are kind of like the basic elements for our survival, doesn't mean anything.

The wilderness is a lovely place to just go lurking when you have nothing better to do. I'd rather it stayed that way.

That said, the randomness proposal, I don't really agree with it. If it is random to the point we have no control over our dragons I'd be specially annoyed if I had been waiting for certain dragons to get off breeding cooldown and they decided to breed by themselves. In the cases of rares or dragons I intend to breed for someone else this can get specially annoying.

If I can just choose to breed them with a random wild dragon, again, I don't see the point. There might be a lot of beautiful lineages out there, or CB, but if I breed my perfect chequered 5th EG dragon and the other is a CB, or a third gen spiral, it doesn't matter how beautiful those two dragons are, the tow lineages are not complementary and the resulting hatchling would become a messy lineaged. There is the risk, specially with prolific breeders and famous lineages, to end up with an inbred Dorkface.

So, no to this proposal.

Seems kind of cool from a standpoint of letting wild dragons wander around and mate with scroll dragons. Just the way others have explained that sounds natural and interesting.

But I don't really see any benefit. One could say it's for lineages, but if people are releasing inbred abominations and you can't choose what wild dragon you breed to...how is that good for a lineage? To make the Inbred Family Forest Lineage? If other people are into that, cool, but it doesn't seem like something that would be too popular. In the end, is the coding of a whole new feature really worth it? It's a neat idea in a way, but pretty worthless and not worth the effort at the end of the day. There are probably some way better ideas out there that they should do above this.

This is kind of the mindset that's going on in our world right now. I'm part of a wildlife protection group and it's kind of sad how an ecosystem is valuable as long as it brings some kind of economic profit. The fact that an ecosystem in itself means food, oxygen and clean water, which are kind of like the basic elements for our survival, doesn't mean anything.

The wilderness is a lovely place to just go lurking when you have nothing better to do. I'd rather it stayed that way.

If this situation had any real life consequences, I'd be right there with you.. but no, this is a game.

Also, some of the sentiment of FR seems to be spreading here. Once you release something, it means it was no longer wanted, and it's no longer yours. I'm surprised that having a bred released offspring would bother you more than the aspect of having a released dragon with no name, honestly. Regardless, this attitude of not wanting the wild dragons to breed because of their bad lineages comes off with about as much bad taste as the suggestion for trying to limit mass breedings.

If the wilderness dragons serve no function, it seems redundant to keep them at all. At least the chance for random breedings would be fun, and there are some good dragons it there (which is why letting people pick the mates might be a bit broken- but I would be in favor of it if it meant ruining the rare trading market).

Though, if I wanted to breed to certain nice lineages, I'd sooner like to see a cross scroll breeding feature (which would be like a two-way trade in that it would need input from both users), but this thread is neither time nor place for that.

If this situation had any real life consequences, I'd be right there with you.. but no, this is a game.

Also, some of the sentiment of FR seems to be spreading here. Once you release something, it means it was no longer wanted, and it's no longer yours. I'm surprised that having a bred released offspring would bother you more than the aspect of having a released dragon with no name, honestly. Regardless, this attitude of not wanting the wild dragons to breed because of their bad lineages comes off with about as much bad taste as the suggestion for trying to limit mass breedings.

If the wilderness dragons serve no function, it seems redundant to keep them at all. At least the chance for random breedings would be fun, and there are some good dragons it there (which is why letting people pick the mates might be a bit broken- but I would be in favor of it if it meant ruining the rare trading market).

Though, if I wanted to breed to certain nice lineages, I'd sooner like to see a cross scroll breeding feature (which would be like a two-way trade in that it would need input from both users), but this thread is neither time nor place for that.

I know it is a game, and I'm the first one to call bs on people comparing the both. I was simply stating how that same mindset that allows for our ecosystems to be destroyed is the same one here, as you're very clearly portraying.

If the wilderness dragons serve no function, it seems redundant to keep them at all.

They might not have a function more than looking at them and, now, using them for encyclopedia purposes. Yet the alternative was to directly have these dragons destroyed. TJ decided to go with the option allowing you to clean up your scroll without destroying dragons in the process. I don't know what made him choose this option, but think about the situation now, with lineages. Some of those dragons might be clean slates, yet others are lineaged, have bred, and you might have the offspring in your scroll. Maybe you have some valuable 3rd gen Dorkface. Then the second gen is released and thus destroyed. Your dragon would become another of the thousands of CB whites out there, and any project you had done with it is now ruined.

If I recall correctly in cases where scrolls are burned dragons go into the wilderness. If they get destroyed instead it would mean many lineages ruined. You shouldn't have to pay the price for the cheating or rule breaking of others.

So, you see, it does serve a purpose. It lets people get rid of unwanted dragons while still keeping them in the system.

Maybe this could be done without the wilderness, yes, definitely. An unreachable part of the cave, but I do think for aesthetic reasons it looks better that way.

At least the chance for random breedings would be fun

If you mean random breeding as choosing a dragon of your own and letting it to randomly breed, ok, it's not a feature I would use but I don't care if others do. If you mean it as proposed somewhere in the thread where your dragons choose to breed out of their free will. No. This is a game, as you stated, I want to control what happens in my scroll.

Hrm... I know personally the only reason I have ever sent a dragon into the wild was because it was messy, and I no longer wanted it on my scroll. I didn't want it to be bred. I didn't want the lineage to continue. Using that logic, I'm going to have to say no. I didn't send those dragons there for anyone to do whatever they wanted with. I sent them there so they would stop adding messy gross lineages to the site.

HOWEVER.

I do think it would be nice to see the wilderness page become relevant in some way other than to simply look at. It's just the "how" that seems to be the hitch.

I'm very interested in this idea.

I respect all the rejections to this idea and have gone over quite a few of them.

-On the first page, I read stargazer_7's opinion and loved it. What's the harm in seeing what the egg results could be? Why not have more options?

I like the no choosing which wild dragon idea because personally, I love dragons of any lineage. But I think it would be really cool to see what kind of imaginaton goes into their descriptions.

I'm all for this idea, I think It'd be awesome!

Err... I do not really care about what other people will do. But I really do not want any dragon, wild or not, breeding with a dragon in my scroll, unless I'm the one deciding on that breeding. My dragons, my scroll, my breeding. Period.

That said, the randomness proposal, I don't really agree with it. If it is random to the point we have no control over our dragons I'd be specially annoyed if I had been waiting for certain dragons to get off breeding cooldown and they decided to breed by themselves. In the cases of rares or dragons I intend to breed for someone else this can get specially annoying.

If I can just choose to breed them with a random wild dragon, again, I don't see the point. There might be a lot of beautiful lineages out there, or CB, but if I breed my perfect chequered 5th EG dragon and the other is a CB, or a third gen spiral, it doesn't matter how beautiful those two dragons are, the tow lineages are not complementary and the resulting hatchling would become a messy lineaged. There is the risk, specially with prolific breeders and famous lineages, to end up with an inbred Dorkface.

So, no to this proposal.

QFT, especially the first bit. Not everything has to have a use. Some things are just pretty to look at. Some things are unlinked easter eggs. xd.png, <3, the graveyard, makeallmyeggsgold... there's nothing wrong with having a feature or three that doesn't serve a major purpose. Some things can be there for fun.

No support for doing pretty much anything with the wilderness, honestly. Letting us choose what to breed with is just the same old tired suggestion so people can go and breed the wilderness hollies and other rares. Forcing random breedings is entirely pointless, you might as well pick any two random dragons on your scroll and breed them (and be prepared to vamp the resulting abomination...) I might tentatively support a fleshed-out Breeding Stables concept, but nothing that directly affects the wilderness.

Random "wild" mates are the only way I can see this happening. However, I think a truly random breeding that you didn't even initiate would be most logical. (Maybe, to prevent mishaps resulting in auto-abandoned eggs for you, this should only happen on the full hour, though?)

Like this: You go to sleep and have one open egg slot. When you come back on the next day, you get this message: "[insert dragon name here] spontaneously bred with a wild dragon, producing this egg."  ...

Imagine, for example, clicking on your first ever CB Gold and getting that 'sorry, you're overburdened' message because one of your dragons had randomly bred some horribly messy egg on the hourly, to then find out that it was one of a special lineage with very strict rules, so that you'll have to kill the egg and have a useless egg spot taken up for 24 hours, which was also one of a pair you'd been going to breed for someone as soon as an egg was picked up but now can't this week, and with a Release coming up, not the next week either.

Even if you thought this was a cool idea in theory, (as the person quoted actually doesn't,) there are situations where it might not work out in fact, lol.

- Disclaimer: I am in no way a moderator or a person of status, and am merely attempting to please everyone with an idea that makes the most sense to me. -

I have read- and understand- everyone's concerns, and am hard pressed to find a way to make wild breeding work for the cave, and Morell, without upsetting at least a few people.

Therefore, I am going to grab onto the 'breeding stable' idea introduced by VixenDra on page two, and attempt to make it a feasible idea that will have as few complaints as possible.

Perhaps it would be better if there was a new area added, like breeding stables or sth where you can give your dragon to where it is available for breeding - the only purpose of that place. It's like releasing your dragon to the breeding stables(allows further breeding) instead of releasing it to the wilderness(further breeding impossible), which is also there to choose. This way the wilderness would stay as it is plus it would be possible to breed with some repulsed dragons their past owners were fine with breeding further - dragons in the breeding stables.

There would be a dragon breeder(just in theory ofc) managing this area and he would be the one to choose the mate for your dragon that you'd bring to him. To make the idea anyhow not a breeding waste and a bit less random, the breeder would bring 3 mates for your dragon and you'd pick one of these 3 or refuse breeding this time. If you refuse, the stable-breeding would be unavailable for another week or sth (prevent abuse) but the dragon wouldn't loose its breeding to your own dragons then.

The idea of releasing it to the stables is a wonderful idea. Just another action that any breedable dragon can be given. Obviously ungendered dragons like papers, cheeses, and dinos will not be able to breed, and as such cannot be released to the breeding stables.

~ The stables would, for obvious reasons, have to start somewhere. I propose that at the beginning they contain only the common types of dragons. Users looking to breed with rares will have to hope that some kind fellow leaves a rare with the breeder, yes, but it will make it more realistic. And if you can't get 100% fair, you can at least attempt to be as realistic about it as possible; it makes the unfairness somewhat reasonable.

---After all, if The Breeder started out with only shiny gold shimmer-tinsels they'd be out of commission indefinitely for the majority of users, as all their dragons are rare, and therefore are prime breeders for everyone who doesn't already own a rare of that type.---

~ One male, and one female of each type makes the most sense for this starting point. If The Breeder(I will call him Steve from this point on because he needs a name, not just a title) receives an extra, he will place it in its own pen.

~ There will have to be an option when selecting to visit the stables to breed to decide if you want your dragon to breed with a lineaged dragon or not, and Steve will find a few good choices for your dragon under his set of 'instructions' that you will have no control over. Meaning he will find a set with lineages, or a set without based upon what you will tell him.

~ As a great way to make it feel more realistic: perhaps in exchange for a dragon to add to the stables, Steve will give a small selection(most likely three) of his eggs of a type of dragon you are lacking(Or otherwise have less of than the rest on your scroll) that he is in possession of, and you will trade; you get an egg that you might want, and he gets a new dragon that he can use for breeding.

This will keep users from suddenly finding themselves overburdened with unwanted eggs, and please those who released dragons to the wild to keep them from being bred with other dragons.

If anyone would like to make amendments to this that they feel would improve upon the ideas suggested, feel free. I, personally, have no opinion on whether this gets implemented or not, and just read this thread because it sounded interesting, and posed a neat little challenge to keep me from working on school stuff.

That sounds very complicated...

Also, I don't think the people who're all for breeding with wild dragons will actually like a breeding stable that depends on the donations of actual players. Who in their right mind would sacrifice a CB gold, for example?

Yes, I know that there are CB rares in the wild. But the wilderness isn't only composed of dragons that got released into the wilderness by players, it also contains lots of dragons from burned or inactive scrolls (which used to get deleted way back when, but not any more). Heck, one of the recently burnt scrolls alone has probably added several dozen CB rares to the wilderness!

Edited by olympe

Perhaps it is, but it strives to be a solution we can all wholeheartedly agree on.

I can't code worth salt, so I don't know how difficult my ideas would be to implement, but I have a feeling they're just as difficult- if not more difficult- to work into the game itself in the manner I have suggested them.

Perhaps the CBs from the burnt scrolls may have a chance of being taken to the breeder?

Edited by Dorei

The thing is, the original poster specifically wanted to find a way to breed with wilderness dragons. What you're suggesting is not what they were asking for, in any way. What you are proposing is technically a separate idea and maybe should have it's own thread.

To those who think the wilderness as it is serves no purpose, remember that many of those released dragons or dragons from burned scrolls have offspring on other scrolls. The wilderness serves to protect lineages on other scrolls by keeping those dragons in existence.

I understand the purpose of the wilderness as three things, what you say it is, a preserver of lineage; a source of research; and a way to get around dragons that refuse to die.

What I've seen here so-far, is every idea I've had on how to make wilderness breeding offered, and then subsequently shot down by people saying that it would interfere with one thing or another. Sometimes there is a certain amount of compromise that has to be made by both parties. I'm offering a third answer of sorts to the yes/no question of, "Should we be able to breed with wild dragons?" that I sincerely hope will please both parties. I understand that it's not one of the typical yes or no answers expected, but I hope that it can bring peace to warring sides, and provide- to an extent- what each party wants, without being too far from the original idea proposed.

-If it seems that my proposed compromise should be its own idea, I will gladly move it myself, if asked.-

It's an interesting idea. What if it would have a very low success rate, like with the summoning? You lead your breedable dragon to a field where you expect wild males/females to breed with him/her, and hope for the best. 80% chance says she'll be back to you in a week's time, 10% chance she'll breed and give you an egg*, 10% chance she will leave you and lose her name and desciption.

* maybe you could choose to try her when /where you see other dragons. You go to the /wilderness page, and if she breeds, she'll breed with one of the dragons on screen at the moment.

I went there and currently see 49 adult normal dragons, 6 pygmy-size dragons, 3 two-headeds. Out of the 49 normals, there's a 4th gen yule (no inbreeding), 3EG gold (no inbreeding), another gold (messy but as far as I can tell not inbred) , a 3rd gen bright pink, a silver tinsel (messy but not inbred Dorkface Thuwed), and a CB shadow walker. I would risk a cb common to breed here.

It's an interesting idea. What if it would have a very low success rate, like with the summoning? You lead your breedable dragon to a field where you expect wild males/females to breed with him/her, and hope for the best. 80% chance says she'll be back to you in a week's time, 10% chance she'll breed and give you an egg*, 10% chance she will leave you and lose her name and desciption.

Nope. Nope nope nope nope nope not ever. Sorry, but the chance of losing a dragon, especially that high a chance, isn't something I'll ever hop on board with. I can 100% see people losing rares or CB holidays that way.

* maybe you could choose to try her when /where you see other dragons. You go to the /wilderness page, and if she breeds, she'll breed with one of the dragons on screen at the moment.

I went there and currently see 49 adult normal dragons, 6 pygmy-size dragons, 3 two-headeds. Out of the 49 normals, there's a 4th gen yule (no inbreeding), 3EG gold (no inbreeding), another gold (messy but as far as I can tell not inbred) , a 3rd gen bright pink, a silver tinsel (messy but not inbred Dorkface Thuwed), and a CB shadow walker. I would risk a cb common to breed here.

I'm going to sound like a broken record but... if people choose to lead their breedable dragons to the Wilderness, I could not care less. I just would hate if this would become some kind of random thing and one of my dragons would breed an egg or, even worse, get lost.

I will often release dragons with lineages I don't want to ruin for others to the wilderness vs killing them because I am still stuck on that space thing. I haven't given it up yet. And I wouldn't care if other people were able to breed or not breed with them. Once they are off my scroll, in my opinion, they were run off the Islands or chose to leave for some reason, or just didn't fit in with the main domesticated group and just eventually became less tame and more feral and wandered off with some wild dragons or just left or whatever.... anyway.... I'm don't really have a feeling of "YES" towards anything suggested here, but I certainly would have no issue with any "old" dragons I used to own being used for whatever purposes. When they are in the wilderness, they are "wild" again. I gave up caring and "domesticating" them or "tracking" them or whatever. I wouldn't mind if someone else wanted to do something with them. As long as it doesn't result in them dying and messing up the lineages of the people who got their offspring, which was the entire point of the release.

Otherwise I am ok with Mr Stabby Stabby on my own when needed.

Edited by natayah

I'm going to sound like a broken record but... if people choose to lead their breedable dragons to the Wilderness, I could not care less. I just would hate if this would become some kind of random thing and one of my dragons would breed an egg or, even worse, get lost.

Agreed, while I support Wilderness breeding (with wild dragons released after the idea'd be implemented and also with full consent of owners who'd release them), I'm against my dragons randomly taking off and producing eggs without my consent (some of my dragons have permanent mates and a lot are on a strictly planned breeding schedule) or even worse, dissapearing from my scroll permanently, be it either randomly or after player initiated breeding with a Wild dragon. I can't imagine any of my CB Metals randomly going 'poof'. tongue.gif

I think the Breeding stables idea should have it's own topic, because while it is very much related to Wilderness breeding, it simply cannot stand on its own in this thread.

Edited by stagazer_7