Stellaluna22

Mosquito Bites and other Bug Bites!

I'm sure we've all had, at some point in our life, an annoying mosquito or other bug bite.

I have a mosquito bite on my ear right now and its insanely warm and itchy ;_;

Where did you get a bite, by what, and how? Share your creepy crawlies bites here xd.png

I have permanent scars from deer fly bites on my ankles from my trip back home to Florida two years ago. I'm, like, the most allergic you can be without needing an EpiPen, and they swelled so much and hurt so badly my parents almost made me go to the hospital, except the Benadryl helped a lot.

Edited by Darklithe

Mosquito always bites in summer here. Most recent painful memory was in last month. Mountain mosquito bite my second and third finger in my right hand so I couldn't use those fingers for several days.

I was attacked by a den of wasps.

Needless to say, very unpleasant.

To this day I exterminate every wasp and mosquito I can.

Edited by Ælex

In the summer I always get tons of mosquito bites. -.-

Especially when I go to the seaside. And it doesn't matter if there are other people in the room. Mosquitoes always seem to like biting me better. dry.gif

Edited by _Beloved_

I always seem to end up with at least one mosquito bite anywhere on my body, but much less than when me and my sister were kids. When I was six and my sister was four, our dad took us to a tennis court where we would play while he was on tennis practice. An entire wave of mosquitoes ate us alive how much they were attacking us and we were all red and swollen it was painful to even look at us. tongue.gif

I have 4 bites on my left foot that are half or twice as big as the average mosquito bite and are positioned together in the shape of a triangle.

Look at y'all and yer itchy lil' bites.

Not a bite per say, but still inflicted by an insect. I got stung on the ankle by a bulldog ant when out in a nature reserve. Had to walk half the way home after that. And I couldn't put any weight on that foot for a week. True pain.

As for bites, I get bit by mosquitoes every summer, they get in the house and all, I've also been impaled by numerous true bugs and stabbed by flies. 'Stralia. I'm surprised I haven't got on the bad side of a spider yet.

There are always so many mosquitoes and black flies here that I barely even notice the bites anymore. Salubrin takes care of the worst if there are some really bad ones.

The horse flies are worse; their bite may even leave a scar. Luckily we haven't had any this year because it's been too cold.

Have you guys ever been bitten by one of these before? It's a Chinese Red Headed Centipede

user posted image

I actually don't know how common they are outside of Asia, but these things are scary and their bite hurts so bad......People raise these to use them as medicine, so sometimes a random escapee bites an innocent passerby, and I have actually seen one in my house before. Pretty much went into panic mode and flailed around until I caught it with a bowl and then proceeded to microwave it to death.

Edited by GoldeenTrix

I live in Florida so I definitely, definitely know what a nightmare mosquitoes can be. -shudders-

Ant bites, mosquito bites, I'm no stranger to those. I also once had a spider bite my hand in multiple places and cause my entire hand to swell up, that was pretty weird.

I once went kayaking in mangroves and there are these gnats there that the guide claimed were "harmless" but when I went home I found SO many bites. Had to take an oatmeal bath to relieve some of the irritation. Not fun.

It's pleasant to sit outside in the evening, but once the mosquitoes start in biting, I just go inside.

Even worse though are the ticks. We have both the tiny deer ticks and the regular ones. It's the little ones you have to worry about because they carry Lyme disease and that can be very serious.

Have you guys ever been bitten by one of these before? It's a Chinese Red Headed Centipede

user posted image

I actually don't know how common they are outside of Asia, but these things are scary and their bite hurts so bad......People raise these to use them as medicine, so sometimes a random escapee bites an innocent passerby, and I have actually seen one in my house before. Pretty much went into panic mode and flailed around until I caught it with a bowl and then proceeded to microwave it to death.

You microwaved it to death.

What was the animals reaction to being cooked alive? unsure.gif

Ugh, mosquito bites. I work at a construction site at an airport runway and there are TONS of mosquitoes and little black flies EVERYWHERE. I was working nights one day and a mosquito got into my truck. I couldn't see the darn thing, but I could hear the bugger(the noise they make gives me shivers just thinking about it). That one mosquito bit me 5 times on the back of my thigh sleep.gif. I forgot my allergy meds at home, so I scratched myself to pieces. It was over two weeks later before the bite stopped itching and it went away, but it was so annoying.

I've also been bitten by a Deer Fly, those bites HURT. It doesn't help that they are always around the truck when the air conditioner is on, so its hard to get away from them.

Kinda glad that I pretty much sit in a truck all day and don't have to worry much about mosquito bites tongue.gif.

then proceeded to microwave it to death.

why would you do that

Mosquitos don't bug me much, I guess I'm not yummy

I really hate small spider bites, they are so itchy and march flies just hurt

user posted image

Is it the bite that is used for medicine or... what? Genuinely curious there.

Around here we have chiggers. Chiggers are awful, you can't see them, and they like to get you at the edge of your clothing, like the top of your socks or your undies. They itch like crazy, seem to last a long time, and their placement means that your clothes tend to rub them making them itch worse.

I think I've been bitten so much in the past by them that bites from mosquitoes and ants that I don't feel them anymore. They don't really hurt when I'm bitten and they don't really itch. I just happen to notice I have a bite and since I did recent yard work figure it was an ant or mosquitoes or fly. I haven't really been bothered by those types of bites in years.

edit: Bees however can cause swelling but if I apply ice (or even use a cold soda can) the swelling goes back down. It's been years since I've been stung though. Last time a wasp stung me about 4 times before I realized I was being stung. It started to swell up but ice brought it back down.

Edited by rubyshoes

user posted image

Omg, death by microwave LOL xd.png

I was trying to sleep in my bed once, then I felt something cool and flat on my hand. I turned the light on and it was an earwig.

Let's just say it didn't live for another 10 seconds after that. I freaked out xd.png

Edit:

I've never been stung by a bee or wasp before...what does it feel like o_o

Edited by Stellaluna22

Wasps are not very discriminating. Best way to get stung is to annoy them. Bees are reluctant stingers, because it kills them.

Wasp stings hurt like hell. I was stung just under a thumb nail when I was unlocking my bike from a bike rack. my thumb swelled up and it hurt for days. Apparently some wasp thought it was a fun plan to build a nest in the tube.

Its hard to describe pain, think of stabbing yourself with a large needle tipped in habanero juice and lime. It'll burn and sting.

I often get bitten by spiders.

Another thing common around here are fire ants. They are well named, and they are everywhere. I once had a bad allergic reaction to them where eight bites sent me to the ER, but I have never had a reaction since, even when getting over twice that number.

As for wasps and bees, I have only been stung twice by wasps in my memory(I am told I stepped on one as a toddler). I remember the first time I was stung I was moving plants outside after the winter and I grabbed one plant and I felt an odd pressure on my finger, didn't really hurt at first. I knew something was wrong though and screamed bloody murder. It hurt soon afterwards though, I don't remember the pain very well.

You microwaved it to death.

What was the animals reaction to being cooked alive?  unsure.gif

why would you do that

I know microwaving it seems a little cruel and maybe overkill, but these things are notoriously hard to kill and their poison is so potent it can kill small children if they are bitten. There is actually a case where one killed a young seven-year-old girl. So I am not taking any chances with these mini-satans.

There is also a saying that goes along with these guys, and directly translated it means: If it's not stiff as a stick, it's not dead. Which means you can crush it, burn it, rip it's legs off but if the body hasn't gone stiff it's not dead. The centipede didn't really react much when I microwaved it though, it just sorta stopped moving. I checked with a chopstick and it was stiff as a board so I tossed the body.

Is it the bite that is used for medicine or... what? Genuinely curious there.

It's mainly used in Chinese medicine, but not the venom. The bugs are raised on farms, then when they have laid enough eggs for the next batch and grown large enough, they are killed, straightened out and dried. Then they are sold to doctors or herbalists where they are ground up and used in medicinal brews and such. Some people also enjoy them as snacks, though I've never tried one myself.

Here's a picture of them on sticks like a shish kebab.

user posted image

Edited by GoldeenTrix