Nanashi

1x1 maybe?

Rose finally recovered enough to blush and avert her gaze, though not enough to respond quite yet. She wasn't sure what she'd even say when she could get out more than unknown noises that sounded vaguely like the beginning of a few different words. She gave up trying to talk in favor of hiding her face behind her hands, deciding if this would be her life now, she could deal with it. She'd definitely be a 'blushi- She cut her thoughts off there, because that was moving a bit fast.

"While unlike all of you, it'd be easy for me to just... Change my appearance and make up a new name..." Ashen paused. "...I guess I'll stick around. You're all amusing enough." He didn't have anything else to do, after all. And... Okay, maybe he had a tiny bit of attachment to Xipilli, if not all of the group. ...Maybe.

Mosi was close enough to his ear that he had no problem hearing what she said. He sighed at it. She was asleep, and yet, she was still... Llyr decided not to question it. It would save him a lot of time not to.

((Hehe, definitely a blushing bride))

Ryu kissed her nose that peeped out from between her hands. "But we can't live freely with our heads under a guillotine. I'll clear our names. I'll find a loophole, something they missed. I'll contact my mom and get things straightened out. " He said lowly, voice deadly serious. "Reaper, are we close to the door? Can you tell where it is?" He called to Llyr.

"I am jealous of you for that ability...switching your appearance whenever you want to. People don't like my kind.... I don't know how many people cross the street when I walk by and if I look in a window at clothing stores, book shops cafe's and plant nurseries... they all shut the door, flip on the closed sign and lock up until I leave.... " He said quietly, almost bitterly cold.

Mosi played with a bit of hair at his neck as she slept, purring deeply.

((Ryu and Rose are far too cute together.))

Rose moved her hands away from her face as Ryu's voice darkened. "...I'm sure you'll be able to," she said with a soft, trusting smile, before turning her attention to Llyr, who doesn't reply verbally but his expression turns to a bit more focused. "...I can't find it's exact location, but it seems like there's a higher concentration of energy through that 'path," he responded, gesturing to a path of sorts made from a large crack in the wall, a bit farther ahead. The path seemed to be slanted diagnostically as well. "So the way back might be through there?" "Yes."

"Oh, people don't like my kind, either. We get mixed up with the huli jing and the kumiho quite often, as well, and seeing as one of those eat the livers and hearts of men they seduce, and the other is..." Ashen paused. "...Okay, well, sure, they seduce married men sometimes, but they don't eat the liver and hearts of people they seduce. Usually." He thought for a moment. ...Besides, even with that little ability, there's lots of cons to match the pros." He shrugged.

Llyr shivered at the touch, not expecting that, and sped up slightly towards the pathway. The energy was constantly changing, going from a cleaner and fresher kind, to the kind the dulled his energy-sensing ability and that was everywhere in this place. The former grew stronger as they entered the pathway.

((Yes they are. It's adorable! wub.gif))

Ryu headed to that crack white tongue flickering as he felt the air grow clean and crisp. "hopefully we don't come out in a inconvenient place" He said softly.

"I don't know what those are but not many people know of Quatacotl's twin brother, the deformed dog god of the underworld." He paused. "Still, it would be easier to fit in and move around, instead of having a thirty foot body and I'm still growing."

((Indeed it is!))

"I'd imagine we'd come out somewhere close to the entrance, and I doubt anyone would want to be anywhere near it, or expect there to be an exit," Llyr responded. "But if there is an exit... Won't others have found it as well?" Rose asked. Llyr didn't respond.

"I'm fairly sure that dogs despising you and chasing you when you come near isn't classified as fitting in," Ashen replied. "Although, it's not as common anymore. But I get what you're saying." He drummed his fingers on the skull he was carrying. "...You remind me of an old friend," he noted, rather suddenly. "Personality-wise, at least. You two look nothing alike."

"It is a possibility. Devorin had been close to this place. He probably was searching for it himself." He answered for Llyr. "My guess is that some has escaped and lay low. This place is what I'd imagine tarterus to be like."

Xipilli smiled slightly. "I highly doubt I look like anyone you met, but if it was a close friend of yours, I'm glad I remind you of them."

Rose frowned slightly. "Then... When we clear o-our names, we should tell them a-about i-it, so that people can't e-escape. R-Right?" she asked quietly. "I-I mean, o-otherwise..." She trailed off, turning her attention to the faint light ahead. It wasn't too much, but it was enough for her to notice. That, mixed with the clean air, gave her hope that they'd be able to get out of that place soon.

Ashen stared at Xipilli for a moment before looking away, his usual playfulness seemingly vanished. "You two really are alike," he mumbled. It took him only a moment to go back to 'normal', a smirk on his lips once more. "I'm afraid there weren't many snake-people where I used to live, so there wasn't anyone even close to you," he replied, louder than his previous mumble, with a chuckle. "And I've never been anywhere that your kind might be a bit more common. At least, not that I know of."

"And let the only way innocent people can escape the wrongful judgment of a corrupt council? If it was sealed we wouldn't have any way to get out. We.... we couldn't have the ritual that binds us, you... you would grow very old or hungry and couldn't pass away peacefully if I remained alive. And if that happened... I will slowly fade away into mist, not alive, but not dead either...." He shivers at the thought, whimpering and held her tighter. "an awful awful way to go... I couldn't bare seeing you like that. " He lifted her up more on his chest so her head was tucked under his chin and he kissed the crown of her head lightly.

"We Normally hide away from people. They kill us on sight sometimes." He said softly. Seeing the light ahead he sped up. Eager to be in the sun again.

Mosi sighed heavily and yawned, but was taking her sweet time waking up again.

"But what about the people who aren't innocent, or anywhere near it, and they've escaped and killing those who don't deserve it?" Rose understood where Ryu was coming from, but she couldn't ignore those who weren't in here, but were still in danger due to this place. "And what about the children as well?" She had a little brother, and she knew that if anything involving this happened to him, she'd be heartbroken. And after this, she'd probably feel guilty, as well. But... "...There's really nothing that we can do that won't lead to innocent people dying, is there?" She frowned. "I guess... Well, you aren't right, but neither am I. No matter what, it'll lead to both good and bad things happening."

"Doesn't surprise me. They do that to lots, even their own kind." Ashen didn't seem the slightest bit fazed. He only sped up a bit, to match Xipilli's pace, as his feelings towards being outside again were... Sort of indifferent. This place was a never ending supply of food and entertainment, after all, even though the outside world had better opportunities for tricking people.

Llyr shifted Mosi slightly when he heard her yawn and noticed her waking up once more, slightly hoping that this wouldn't be like the last time she woke up. As amusing that was for the others, he had less than no idea on what to do when things like that happened.

Ryu tilted his head. " What children? You are correct on the steps taken. Nothing really we can do so the wicked remain here, but I do know one thing; the council isn't supposed to take bribes. There's a universal law stating any judgement made with the corruption of money, "

Xipilli still headed to the light.

"I think I can walk now." Mosi said sarcastically.

"...The children o-of a-anyone, or the younger siblings of s-someone- The children. I... I didn't tell you before, but I have a younger brother myself, a-and i=if he died because o-of this..." Rose trailed off. "...Talking a-about this i-is just going to make me feel worse." The human fell silent, staring off at a space that she wasn't really looking at. If you bothered to look, it was easy to see that, as well, as her eyes were rather unfocused.

Ashen watched the male beside him carefully, before turning his gaze away and adjusting his grip on the skull in his hands.

Llyr didn't respond vocally, only putting Mosi down somewhat carefully before continuing walking. After a moment, though, he spoke. "You feeling better?"

"I would be if that damned light gets closer and it feels like we're getting somewhere." she snapped, irritated. "Had the strangest dream about nearly dying and somethin bout an angel. Best sleep I've had in a while though. Any reason why you askin me that? And what's with the funny look? You're looking at me like I kissed a ghost or something..."

"He won't." He looked at her, adjusting his grip on her. "I would like to see him. He sounds like he means a lot to you. Crimes involving children are treated specially. Adults who prey an them are not banished but executed following their trial. Children harming children are placed in a juvenile detention center or something like that. Supernatural children.... are far more rarer then human children, but a supernatural harming human children are tried in human courts and placed in a special cell and guard. If they live long, the sentence can stretch to seven human lifetimes to a century and a half of solitude if they aren't sentenced to death. Things like that can drive one crazy. I minored in supernatural law.

Do you and your brother keep in touch?" He asked slowly.

Xipilli was nearly on his belly, pushing himself forward with his hands, tongue flickering in irritation as the tunnel seemed to play tricks on them.

Llyr was about to respond, but Ashen beat him to it, knowing that the reaper wouldn't likely say the truth about what happened. "Well, you did call Llyr handsome, and an angel!" he informed. "And technically, you nearly died." The kitsune ignored Llyr's glare. After a moment, the reaper sighed, turning his attention to Mosi. "The fox, for once, isn't lying." "Thank you for such kind words, blackbird. You're such a nice person," said fox responded sarcastically.

"...Yeah. I don't see him too o-often, but I try to make sure to a-at least talk to him e-every few weeks or so." Rose smiled slightly, her eyes still a bit distant, but for a different reason now. "Maybe I-I'll i-introduce you two when we get o-out? He's a bit, ah, quiet a-around strangers, though." She paused. "...Maybe more than a bit, but..." The human let out a quiet and weak laugh.

Ashen finally clicked into what was happening with the tunnel, and gave a grim grin. "...Well, now, it looks like we may have a problem," he stated.

((Did you have anything in mind for the tunnel, or may I...?))

((Sure go ahead))

Mosi don't react. She actually knew what happened, she just wanted to see his reaction. "Yah, well I don't believe him so you tell me what happened. What's the matter Fox? Something got a tail of yours?"

"Get out and clear our names. Then you can introduce me to your brother. I get it. He's shy. I'll be careful not to startle him. " He said softly holding her close and curling around her.

Xipilli moved like lightning, but he still went no further then a few feet. He hissed, laying flat on his belly. "What is this? Sorcery? illusions? I'm dangerously hungry and need the warm sun, it is never a good idea to prod a angry snake!" He bristles and pulls his body near him in a zig zag fashion behind him.

Llyr stared at Mosi for a few moments. "You were hallucinating," he responded after a while. "A lot." The reaper averted his gaze, stopping after realizing they were getting literally no where.

"Oh, no, if something had a tail, kitten, you'd know. I'm afraid that there's just a slight... Problem."

"Not shy, not e-exactly," Rose mumbled, turning her attention to the others, and suddenly realizing that throughout the entire talk, they had barely moved at all. ...Or maybe they hadn't, it was hard to tell. Her eyes widened slightly at this.

Ashen chuckled at the snake's efforts, shaking his head. "It's no use, little boa," he stated, glancing around. "I should have noticed this before, but..." "Yes, you really should have, my old friend." It was another fox, this one with red fur and nine tails, but covered in scars and with an energy that was nothing welcoming. "What name are you going by now, dear snapdragon?" "I could ask you the exact same thing." Ashen's voice held a slightly hostile tone to it, while the other fox had a playfulness that wasn't to be trusted. "Would you mind dropping this down so that they can get through?" "Oh? But I won't be getting anything from it, then." The nine-tailed fox approached slowly. The fur on Ashen's tails slowly rose, the tails themselves curling slightly. The kitsune, however, stepped towards the other, as if to protect the others from them.

"It's a shame you ended up down here," Ashen stated after a moment, earning what could be described was a curious glance from the other fox. "You weren't all that bad, for a man-eating fox." "You should know by now I don't change as easily as you do, my dearest liar. And there's no need to be so descriptive; Calling me a kumiho works just as well." "But that's not quite as fun."

Edited by seacatsmew

Ryu really coiled around the human at the words "man eating". He probably couldn't get enough anger to transform like that again, but he had diamond hard scales that came in handy sometimes.

"I'd rather be hallucinating now. One fox is enough, but a nine tails? Nope."

"Seems like we did run into one of your old buddies." He muttered, purple tongue flickering out of his mouth. Other then that, he remains still, eyes focused on the other Fox's tails. The one held close to the body held the object of their power. He wasn't an idiot, although he acted innocent, he had eaten several kitsune before as a way of surviving. He also bribed a few. He knew where the object was, for it radiates heat, and he say in heat vision.

Xipilli wasn't going to interfere until the nine tales attacks the group.

Rose's attention was on the two foxes mostly, but she registered that Ryu coiled around her tighter while the two spoke, and she, herself, shrank a bit into herself and Ryu's coils. She didn't dare make a sound, although she had a feeling that if the fox decided to go after her, then it wouldn't be any use in the end.

Llyr didn't respond, realizing quickly that while Ashen's soul was divided between to main spots- one of his tails and a small, round spot that was likely his star ball- the other's soul wasn't split. ...Though, souls couldn't be made by illusions usually, and the other one claimed they were a 'kumiho', rather than a kitsune, so maybe they weren't that similar?

"And possibly one of the worst," Ashen responded, though he didn't bother trying to lower his voice. The other fox would be able to hear them anyways. "Such kind words, snapdragon." "Well, you know me. Always the sweetest fox I can be." The kumiho's form began changing, and soon enough, they were an exact copy of Ashen... Except for the fact that their ears and tail were red, and that they had nine tails rather than three. "The sweetest, hmm? That's not what I recall..." The other fox continued walking towards the kitsune, who took another step forwards. Finally, the red-furred fox stopped, standing in front of the white-and-black-furred one. "It's surprising that you weren't thrown down here as well. You may not have outright killed anyone, but you're certainly not innocent." "I know how to hide my past. And besides, unlike you, I stopped." The other fox moved closer, until they were only half an inch away from each other. Ashen didn't dare move away or break eye contact. "Then why're you down here, little snapdragon?" the red fox asked with a smirk. The monochrome fox bared his teeth in a way that would have been much more threatening if he wasn't changed to look like a human at the moment, before slamming his forehead into the kumiho's, ignoring the sting from it afterwards.

Whatever the nine-tails was expecting, that was clearly not it as they stumbled back, eyes wide as they rubbed their forehead. However, the three-tails stepped forwards and grabbed one of their arms with his free hand, his nails sinking into it and drawing blood. "I'll ask one more time: Will you lower the illusion so that we can get through?" "How about... No? I can't let prey just escape like that, you know." "Now you can't say I didn't try." Dropping the skull, the kitsune shoved the kumiho, forcing them to the ground. The two wasted no time wounding each other with their nails and teeth, which, as uncomfortable as it was as humans, neither of them dared to change, knowing that the other could and would attack while they did so.

Edited by seacatsmew

"kumiho! You lesser creature! No wonder you are banished here! " Mosi looked at the Dragon. "You know it?" Ryu shook his head. "I know of them. They are Chinese fox spirits who eat hearts and livers of men, unlike their Japanese cousins the kitsune..." He explained, becoming more protective of his soul bond.

Xipilli watched them carefully. As Ryu explained the difference between the two he hissed lowly. He tensed more. "Sacrifice is an honor to my people Fox. Cannibalism was often practiced by the Aztecs too. Nagi has two hearts, and multiple organs that should keep you fed for a long while. If I sacrifice myself willingly, will you let them go? I will swear on the god HUEHUECOYOTL, I would stay and be a good meal. Thirty feet , and four hundred pounds of muscle mass and organs all for you. Plus my blood could lure other prey to you...." He said smoothly, sincerely and calmly.

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

"Actually, nowadays, most of us are from Korea. Though quite a few of us did originate from China," the red fox corrected automatically, before they were quieted by the monochromatic fox cutting their bottom lip, and focused on fighting again. "That explains the energy difference," Llyr muttered, keeping an eye on the fox spirits, lest they get closer while fighting.

"It's not cannibalism when you're not human," the kumiho responded, pinning down Ashen for a moment to speak to Xipilli and wiping the blood off of his mouth while doing so. "Although, your offer is tempting..." "I swear to Inari, you nine-tailed monster, that if you lay a single paw on him I will-" Ashen switched languages, and whatever he said amused the kumiho greatly. "I might have to take you up on the offer, snake. Especially seeing how my dear snapdragon is reacting." There was a low growl from the kitsune, catching their attention. "I haven't seen you react this way since... Oh." They grinned widely. "You've gained feelings for this group, haven't you? How precious. Do you remember what you did to your lover last time?" "Yes, yes, I killed her, blah blah blah, whatever. Will you stop bringing up the past? It's getting tiring," the kitsune responded, rolling his eyes. "Besides, you're only confirming what they've likely already guessed about me. The only thing you've said that might have surprised them is that I've never straight-up killed someone." Ashen kicked them, catching them off-guard yet again, and quickly restarting the fight. This time, however, the kitsune seemed more intent on wounding the kumiho fatally, and although he summoned no flames, he didn't hesitate to use whatever tricks he could.

"Ashen stop you'll get yourself killed! I'm serious. Lower the barrier and let them go. I'll stay here." another voice piped up that sent a chill in the air.

"Trust him. If he says he wants to do something let him do it."

Xipilli glanced back at Mosi before raising his hand speaking in ancient Aztec. " I Xipilli Quetzalcoatl swear on my heart and soul to the god Huehuecoyotl that I would say behind and be your guest for dinner as soon as you lower your spell and let my friends through." a low thrum was felt. "There... it's official. Any interference will result in my death if I don't comply." He extracted ashen from the red fox and handed him to Mosi to hold back. "now let them through. And may I inform you, because it's official, if you don't comply you die too."

Ryu was looking at them like they were all insane.

Ashen saw red at Xipilli's words. Because, first off, this was his fight, not the snake's. Second off, the only way Ashen would have been killed would have been if his star ball was destroyed or the other fox caught his tail. And third, Xipilli was his. ...Well, not really, but the kitsune refused to let the snake sacrifice himself to let them go. After all, the snake actually had people that cared for him.

The kitsune, on the other hand, had no such thing. Only people who would be more than glad to hear that he was dead, and also instincts that were about to get someone killed.

Realizing that, while Mosi was holding him back and if he tried to change forms, Mosi would probably grab him again anyways, he adjusted his tails in a way that was barely noticeable, but enough to start a fire near him. The only reason he hadn't done that earlier was because he had to use his 'main' tail for it, and the other fox would have noticed that and yanked it off, and... That wouldn't have ended well at all. Well, that and the fact that the other fox was annoyingly distracting when he was trying to bring his fox-fire into existence, and he needed to focus so that he wouldn't burn everything down. And as tempting as it was to burn Mosi so that she'd let go of him, he had a feeling that was a horrible idea, even through his red-tinted view. Which reminded him that his temperature was likely steadily rising. ...He didn't let himself hope that Mosi would let go of him because of that.

The red fox eyed Xipilli for a moment. While they weren't able to understand all languages automatically like Ashen could, they still sensed the thrum. "...Well, I suppose it could be worse." They grinned and were just about to drop the illusion when Ashen launched his kitsune-bi into the kumiho's face, earning a scream from the other. He watched with an unreadable expression as the other fox burned, changing their forms somewhere along the way as they lacked the power to stay like that. The illusion wavered, before breaking, as the other fox's life faded, and the kitsune relaxed, his temperature going back to normal. ...And, seeing as the kumiho died before he could actually drop the trick, Xipilli's vow shouldn't come into play. 'As soon as you lower your spell', the snake had said, after all, and the spell was only dropped when the other fox had died.

All Llyr understood was that the kumiho had seriously ticked Ashen off. Or maybe it was Xipilli that made the kitsune mad, he wasn't sure. But the nine-tailed fox spirit was now only a pile of ashes and a glowing orb that was drawn to Llyr and taken by him. "You got it, blackbird?" Ashen asked, appearing much calmer. Llyr nodded. "Great! Now, then, kitten, would you mind letting me go? ...As much as I enjoy being held by a beauty such as yourself, I believe we'd best hurry up and get out of here." The fox smirked back at Mosi.

Rose was horrified by what had just happened, and doubted she'd ever be able to close her eyes without remembering that. Not even Devorin's death was quite as... She didn't let herself get anywhere close to finishing that though, instead hiding herself the best she could in Ryu's coils, covering her eyes, even though it had already happened.

Mosi shoved him away. Ryu scooped up rose and tried to fly out again, that sight also bored into his mind and it frightened him

Xipilli was the only one who seemed angry at the ash pile. He smashed his tail in it scattering the ashes. Huehuecoyotl is the coyote god of trickery and mischief! I was going to eat him! I'm hungry, and I have eaten my fair share of foxes, now if I don't eat soon I'll go berserk like Ray had! " He hissed. " And it would've worked too! I said it in such a way that I didn't stay who would get eaten! And because I swore on a minor god who tricks people, it wouldn't even be iron clad. I know it was your fight, but like I said, I'm starving. If I ate him I'll be fine until I could hunt properly, but now you may as well kill me before I strangle you and eat you because I wouldn't be in the right mind! You might as well bring back that damned Dragon to burn us all!"

The boa turned around and punched a hole on the wall before slithering off in the wrong direction.

"Remind me to never poke him with a stick" Mosi stated strangely calm, before walking to the light. A little wobbly from the amount of energy it took to hold onto the fox.

Rose registered that Ryu was flying once more, and she slowly moved her hands away from her eyes, though she didn't speak. Instead, she chose to watch Ryu, finding a small bit of comfort in it, something appreciated by her after seeing what just happened.

Llyr glanced over at Mosi. "You're awfully calm," he noted as he began walking as well, noticing the kitsune head off in the direction Xipilli went.

Ashen raised an eyebrow, before sighing. "Well, might as well make sure he doesn't get himself killed," the kitsune muttered, before following after the boa, although the fox was aware that this was completely and utterly unnecessary. He just didn't know when to leave things alone, he supposed. Ah, well. Worst case scenario, he got eaten. Wouldn't be the worst thing that's happened to him, and he could always just float out of his reach if the snake dared to try. He had done it before with other creatures, and it usually worked just fine, so... Although, the dragon seemed to have issues going up in the air. Perhaps he'd just have to get out of the way instead. Either way, he was following Xipilli now. "You know, you could have just mentioned that. I can share energy. Sort of like birds share food, but... Not as gross, and just requires physical contact," he offered. "It'd serve the same purpose." Sharing energy was the same as sharing food to him, at least; And he could find food much easier than the boa would be able to, besides. Kitsune fed off of energy, after all.

"I've seen him like that once. He's frightening. Words so smooth and silvery it makes anyone believe him. Just look how ashen reacted. Besides, he caused a distraction so the fox can fit rid of the other. He should be grateful. Now we can get through. Plus I nearly died and you would've had to take my soul if I did. This realization comforts me." she said continuing to walk to the light.

Ryu was close to the end. "let's never speak of that again."

"You could've told me that sooner. I need heat and food. Boa's are big, known to strangle and eat crocs, cousins of the Ancona. I'm also afraid you may tax yourself doing this for me. The sooner I get something the better. I'm sorry I yelled at you. I don't like yelling at people I care about...." He stopped and looked down.

Llyr hummed. "...It shouldn't comfort you. If we hadn't been able to find this exit, your soul would never be able to rest," he responded. "And instead you'd join the group of those giving me a headache." Who had, luckily, stopped bothering him, and instead gone 'dormant'. They only had so much energy that they could use, after all, and most of it was used when they were tormenting the reaper.

"A-Agreed," Rose replied. She didn't even have to think about it, really, and instead focused her attention on the end of the tunnel, which was... A clearing? Filled with grass, and with a few small trees, but still with walls of stone, the reasoning for how they could grow was clear and in the form of a hole in the top, letting in more light than anywhere else could have, along with soil instead of stone beneath the tall grass. There was a stone arch as well, right across from the tunnel, and even she could sense something coming from it. It seemed like that was the way out, as the light from what she figured was the sky was too far away to let them reach it.

"It never seemed important for me to mention," Ashen responded, approaching Xipilli and placing a hand on his arm, feeling the drain from him almost immediately. He kept the transfer up for a bit, before finally stepping away, deeming the amount good enough. "Oh, it's not a problem. It's easy to recover. As soon as we're out, I'll just go find a campfire or something to feed off of. Or, if you decide you want to pay me back, you can find a match or something and light it for me." The kitsune stretched. "Yelling is the least someone's done to me. Birdy threw a knife through my hand, you've broken my leg, kitty has threatened me, the dragon has... Sort of threatened me, and mouse is probably the only one who hasn't done anything to me yet!"

Edited by seacatsmew