Prince_Xanthius

Kill or Release

Would you rather have your dragons offspring killed or released?  

81 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, I've been wondering for a while how people feel about releasing vs killing dragons? Or, more specifically, about the offspring of their dragons being killed or released. Within the context of the game (other than zombies) they perform basically the same function - permanent removal of a dragon from play.

I don't particularly like having my dragons offspring released, because they are then nameless, and never have any eggs themselves, and I just find it...messy I suppose. If a dragon isn't wanted, I'd rather it gets removed entirely than hang around being unwanted.

That said, I can understand that killing isn't an overly attractive option to many, but I like the fact that it removes that dragon from the parents offspring list completely. Which is also handy if I make an accidental egg from otherwise lifemated dragons - if I get rid of the evidence, there is no way to tell anyone cheated on any body else tongue.gif

I generally don't use either action, as once a dragon has grown up, it stays on my scroll (that took a full week you know!), but I have used the kill more often either for zombies or mistakes. I think I've only ever released one dragon, and that was because it grew up just before I could freeze it (like between me loading the scroll, and me loading the action page) and it dodged the blade!

What do other people think about this?

I personally would rather the offspring to be released rather than killed as its good to know that the dragon is still living rather than it being killed by somebody else. wink.gif

I agree with the statement of lifelong mates breeding with accidental partners and then removing such evidence of an encounter however I think thats where the line is drawn for me. smile.gif

I prefer releasing, no matter which dragons the offspring came from. I dislike killing and I'd never do that to a dragon.

Fact is, even dead dragons aren't gone for good, they are still in the database, with name, code and lineage.

Releasing a dragon at least frees up a name for others to use.

Fact is, even dead dragons aren't gone for good, they are still in the database, with name, code and lineage.

Releasing a dragon at least frees up a name for others to use.

Definitely not, I know of a scroll that the owner killed every last dragon and it still has a silver trophy. Haha, just looked and they missed the 6 zombies on there that I didn't realize they had. Wonder if they forgot about them?

I would rather see offspring of my dragons released. I tend to not breed for the ap as the survival rate isn't good for some breeds and I hate to see vampires in my progeny as well. I have never used the kill action and never will. My scroll is an undead free zone - no zombies or vampires allowed. Means my soulpeace dragons have a very easy time. biggrin.gif

I'd prefer them to be released rather than killed, personally. Either of them makes me wonder why somebody didn't care for it (I only breed 2g or perfect checkers), but releasing feels less aggressive.

It's such a waste, though. If it's an underpopulated common that I'm trying to build a checker out of then doing either of those things means that I not only didn't get what I wanted that week, but the resulting egg didn't even help the issue. >_>

Edited by Tehya Faye

I don't really mind either way, as long as it was not a gift. I sometimes have a fit after I finally get a mate for a dragon, only to have it refuse, then I release one of them. I do this more often with dragons I bred, though, as it helps me avoid accidental inbreeding. Sometimes it's a matter of just giving up on finding a perfect mate. I have over 100 dragons that need mates, and that list is keeping me from looking for other nice lineages I could grab. The problem is that I know I will keep trying to find it a mate and keep avoiding new lines until I do. I have some messies on my scroll that I keep around as zombie fodder, too. I usually just toss back any eggs or hatchies with nice lineages (but that I am not interested in). I figure someone will want it. All the non-zombie/vampire deaths and releases on my scroll were ones I literally just gave up on, usually because of frustrations with refusals.

neither, i dont see the point of doing that.

Edited by djengis

I usually release, because I know other people don't like see their dragons killed. Mostly they are old messy dragons anyway so I doubt the breeders ever even notice one way or the other.

I'd prefer them to be released rather than killed, personally. Either of them makes me wonder why somebody didn't care for it (I only breed 2g or perfect checkers), but releasing feels less aggressive.

It's such a waste, though. If it's an underpopulated common that I'm trying to build a checker out of then doing either of those things means that I not only didn't get what I wanted that week, but the resulting egg didn't even help the issue. >_>

I feel the same way. Most of my AP babies are 2nd gens, PB or checker starters, dragons I would like to find, and I hate seeing them as wild dragons OR as frozen hatchlings. Why would someone freeze a 2nd gen PB Red? That just makes no sense at all!

But you're right about it being less offensive than murder.

I will only be upset about killing or releasing the offsprings of my dragons if it is something that i bred especially for the user. But i cannot do anything about the eggs that i abandonded so there are many outcomes what could happens to them. Be it transform into a Vampire or Zombie or Neglected or released into the wilderness. Or simple nobody picked it up and it ends in the wilderness.

I once bred also an accident and get and try to get rid of it with kill... had to release it. Do not ask me which dragon this was. Out of sight, out of mind. wink.gif What i do with my dragons is up to me and sometime i use kill somtimes i release them.

I am more concerned that users use my scroll suffix for my CBs on my second gens... dry.gif Ur-Kralle is for CBs and Kralle for all non-CBs as simple as that.

I don't mind freezing.

ETA: I like it better when sombody that really do not want my dragon kill it then releasing it if i have no other choice then to pick just between those two options. At least the first option states the opionon of this particular user very clear to me.

Edited by Tigerkralle

I just don't do either option to my dragons, except on zombies. It's just such a waste in my eyes. I took the time and effort to raise said dragon, naming it something I'd be proud of-- even writing a description, most likely-- just to kill or release it?

Nah. I could never do that to my babies. So if I absolutely had to pick either option, it would be release. ;3

It makes me sad to see either, but I would prefer they be released. Otherwise, it's kind of a wasted breeding in the first place.

I can't recall ever releasing a dragon. I do know I've killed a few in the process of vamping and when I went for my zombies. However, I would rather see my babies released if they aren't what the new owner is looking for. I tend to only vamp miss clicks from the biomes now and if i do get a dragon from ap that I don't punt back its either an adult or a frozen hatchie now. I tend to only freeze inbred dragons unless I reallly like the lineage (or missed my freezing window.) I do occasionally freeze other dragons so that I can slowly march my way to completion with an adult male (if applicable), adult female (again if applicable) and a frozen of each gender (if applicable) and when I get those 4 of most dragon breeds I will start going for ungendered frozens. As I said if its long, messy, or inbred I will ten to one freeze it. If its short and I don't want it I tend to gift in the departures thread unless its a harder to find dragon (I hunt almost exclusively on an iphone so even some commons are impossible to find often) then I may freeze. Long story short I freeze or hoard just about everything that reaches my scroll. I would expect the same from anyone who pciks up an egg or hatchling abandoned off my scroll. If you cannot/ will not freeze or keep then releasing is a must. I don/t make many accidents when breeding my dragons and if i do oh well. I care more about the children/s lineages rather then the parent dragon's progeny page.

I usually prefer releasing to killing, with the exception of one specific case.

I have two vines that are life mates, and I breed them occasionally just to get a PB vine or two. I would never abandon one of their eggs. However, one time I was locked by hatchlings, and didn't realize it, since I only had five eggs, and so I bred them. That resulted in this dragon, which auto-abandoned.

I was terrified the entire time it was in the AP, and even dedicated a whole 3 and a half hours of searching the AP looking for it the day it had low enough time to be in the AP. It hatches, and I look at it. It has no name, and no scroll name on it. I watched as it grew up, being a creepy stalker and such. That was my baby, of course. The day it's supposed to grow up, I go and check on the dragon. It's grown up, and I see the words "Wild Dragon." This makes me freak out. I would rather it die than have an unnamed dragon in the progeny. And that is the only exception.

Seeing my APed offspring killed or released, neither really bothers me. When an egg is killed, I tell myself that maybe they just wanted so bad they they could not wait, and Earthquaked it to death. Or maybe they thought it would make a gorgeous Vampire or Neglected and it didn't work out. In the weeks leading up to Halloween, I expect Zombie killings and it's fine with me, success or failure. Whatever the reason, there's more where that came from. smile.gif

Personally I never kill eggs/dragons unless it is CB or offspring of my own dragons, and also childless. In other words, never kill anything that shows up on the lineage or progeny page of someone else's dragon.

If someone doesn't want my Dragon offspring on their scroll for one reason or another, I'd rather see the Dragon released. While I do name all my dragons - it doesn't bother me seeing just a code regardless of if the Dragon is killed or released. It also doesn't bother me all that much if someone decides to bite/neglect an egg of mine, and/or decides to kill a hatchling/adult on Halloween to try for a Zombie.

To sum up my thoughts on kill vs. release:

The kill action is fine for Zombie making - but not as a way to just get rid of a dragon who is no longer wanted.

I make it a point not to look up my babies after they leave my scroll. I don't want them myself or I wouldn't abandon them. I mostly breed really nice stuff and I hope that others will enjoy them. If I look and see that bad things happened to them I feel bad. So I just mostly don't look. wink.gif

I will most likely use neither. I won't even use them on zombie or vampire dragons ( because I want them so badly ) but if the time comes... it will all have to depend on the dragon

I have no idea what happens to a dragon after it dies so I don't wanna use kill on an adult.

The only time I have ever used the kill action was me on my first day of DC when I didn't know what it did. R.I.P Stella's first ever dragon egg, a Frostbite.

I once misbred one of my Galaxy lineaged nebula dragons with a red. This should NEVER happen in my lineage. It was auto'd. I literally stalked it for days and when I was told it might be sent to the wilderness if it hatches before it hits the AP, I tried to give it views by putting it in Silvi's. It's in the wilderness now...ninja.gif

But overall I'd probably prefer release.

It depends. If the new owner wants to turn it into a vampire or zombie and it fails then it happens, but I guess it depends on if the eggs was an accidental breeding or not. But I prefer it be released, but once its off my scroll the new owners may do what they wish.

I myself release dragons instead of killing them. The only exception is during Halloween when I try to turn a few messies into Zombies.