Obscure_Trash

ANSWERED:Paid Perks

Wasn't going to post, but figured I'd better anyway.

Obviously, this is TJ's site and equally obviously, I have no idea what's involved in the running/alterations/costs/time, etc., but he has stated that this isn't about needing revenue and it is supposed to be about making the site more fun for people without driving the bulk of us off.

The latter is something which may well happen if here, as well as in RL, people with more money not only have the inherent advantages of being able to afford better computers and faster internet but are to be given additional boosts in being able to pay to cut corners, access areas/dragons off-limits to those financially limited and all of the other in-game advantages so far suggested along with whatever else may surface.

People traditionally come here to catch dragons themselves - is it not possible to fix the site so that people can do this, in biomes which move and have variety, rather than discussing allowing people with money to buy what most people will then be unable to purchase?

I know nothing about coding or about running games, but I do know that even seeing this is extremely discouraging for at least one of us, lol.

In the real world, things are falling apart for many people all over the world with 'Globalization' sucking money up to the top and most people becoming steadily more impoverished.

MANY people are looking for something fun and relaxing where money doesn't enter into anything, and apart from anything else, introducing greater RL/game inequity here at DC, rather than further reducing it, doesn't sound like much fun to me, from either a financial or a psychological aspect.

Frankly, I don't play anything else; most other long-running online games don't really appeal to me and I doubt I'd bother with them, so perhaps DC has mattered to me more than it should.

But it used to be a place which helped people get through tough RL times, and I'm sorry to see it potentially head further into a different direction than I personally would have hoped.

Obviously, this is TJ's site and equally obviously, I have no idea what's involved in the running/alterations/costs/time, etc., but he has stated that this isn't about needing revenue and it is supposed to be about making the site more fun for people without driving the bulk of us off.

The latter is something which may well happen if here, as well as in RL, people with more money not only have the inherent advantages of being able to afford better computers and faster internet but are to be given additional boosts in being able to pay to cut corners, access areas/dragons off-limits to those financially limited and all of the other in-game advantages so far suggested along with whatever else may surface.

People traditionally come here to catch dragons themselves - is it not possible to fix the site so that people can do this, in biomes which move and have variety, rather than discussing allowing people with money to buy what most people will then be unable to purchase?

I know nothing about coding or about running games, but I do know that even seeing this is extremely discouraging for at least one of us, lol.

In the real world, things are falling apart for many people all over the world with 'Globalization' sucking money up to the top and most people becoming steadily more impoverished.

MANY people are looking for something fun and relaxing where money doesn't enter into anything, and apart from anything else, introducing greater RL/game inequity here at DC, rather than further reducing it, doesn't sound like much fun to me, from either a financial or a psychological aspect.

Frankly, I don't play anything else; most other long-running online games don't really appeal to me and I doubt I'd bother with them, so perhaps DC has mattered to me more than it should.

But it used to be a place which helped people get through tough RL times, and I'm sorry to see it potentially head further into a different direction than I personally would have hoped.

Beautiful.

Hi Syphoneira smile.gif

I think the point here is not about "needing revenue".

My point (and not only mine) is that people are presenting, in the forum, in some cases forcefully demanding, suggestions/requests that will take time and effort to code. People are also complaining about lag etc. At the same time, I got the feeling, in general, and from this thread in particular that people just expect TJ to code their suggestions or somehow solve lag issues etc. etc. All that for free. Why should TJ give up on his free time to cater to that? He is the right to have a life and he has the right to be compensated for his job. Some people do not want to pay. Actually some people really do not want anybody else to pay for what they would want for free.

As someone else said, people are expecting free labor from TJ. Guess what, that is wrong. And I can't avoid the feeling that, in some cases, we are dealing with spoiled children.

What about things that might only indirectly affect your game, say being able to make the new glowy dragons sync with your time zone instead of dc time zone, would that be worth paying for?

Or being able to choose how to view other sprites on your own scroll, like the old gold vs new gold?

The ability to customize the way you see lineage views, like with the fancy boxes, or without boxes?

Fog all growing things at once?

That kind of stuff, would anyone be willing to pay for things that are only cosmetic or minor conveniences?

This. All of this. In a far more eloquent post than my previous one in this thread.

What about things that might only indirectly affect your game, say being able to make the new glowy dragons sync with your time zone instead of dc time zone, would that be worth paying for?

Or being able to choose how to view other sprites on your own scroll, like the old gold vs new gold?

The ability to customize the way you see lineage views, like with the fancy boxes, or without boxes?

Fog all growing things at once?

That kind of stuff, would anyone be willing to pay for things that are only cosmetic or minor conveniences?

Just to understand... who would be paying for that? everybody? or should just a few pay for suggestions that would benefit everybody?

DC is not a fantastic magical world where everybody is nice to everybody and everybody is friendly and supportive. If any person believes on that then they never took a look in the trade marketing, never spent an hour in the chats and never tried to get a CB gold just hunting. DC is a ugly unfair world where a person spend hopeless time hunting and will never have more than a couple of CBs golds, a place where suggestions are abandoned for years in the forum without be implemented, a place where the forum software itself is old and outdated, a place where people are incredibly nasty every time that someone try to suggest anything that can be a threat to the staus quo of the older players. If you didn't sign in 10 years ago you are screwed for life, you will never have anything rare or special in your scroll.

The new players never have a chance.

Well, I would like to see a better game, a better forum and I would like to have a better chance to get CB prizes, CB golds and silvers and CB hollidays.

If paid perks can lead to this, then TJ have my full support. I will pay to have CB shimmers.

ETA to add: I fully agree with NotBambi.

Edited by danicast

Just to understand... who would be paying for that? everybody? or should just a few pay for suggestions that would benefit everybody?

Individuals would pay for the perks they want for their own account.

-You want the ability to fog all your own dragons at once then it cost a small fee. It has absolutely no affect on any other player, gives no 'play' benefit' other than being convenient. Free accounts still have the ability to fog, just one at a time.

MANY people are looking for something fun and relaxing where money doesn't enter into anything, and apart from anything else, introducing greater RL/game inequity here at DC, rather than further reducing it, doesn't sound like much fun to me,  from either a financial or a psychological aspect.

Thank you so, so much for posting.

I felt like it was kind of hopeless to post myself due to the overwhelming support of bringing some type of currency into the game. Personally, I would hate to see it end up like this as well.

I do just as you said, I come here to relax and catch/trade my own dragons. I firmly believe bringing any type of currency, be it paying with money or "earned" on site, would ruin the experience for many users. A lot of us are still around simply because there is no currency involved, it's one of the few games, as I said to my friend a few days ago, with such a simple game play.

"Here's what you do. Here's the forums. Here's some extras. Go wild."

My question is: Why complicate that?

And to the argument bringing up, "If you can pay for internet and electricity, you can toss a few bucks to the game. I find it rude not to." While I respect that that's how you feel, that is most certainly not the case for everyone. Some people only have just enough for the bills they pay, roof over their head, and the food in their stomachs, and there are other ways to show support for a game than to toss money. I mean, if I were able to, I'd donate to the site as much as I possibly could. I'd even buy the ad-removal which I don't even need just to support the site, but the fact of the matter is, I only have enough to pay my bills. Why should I be guilt-tripped into paying into something that was made for fun? That may not be the intention, but it certainly feels like it.

There are always things that can be added to the game that users want without money. Now, I know absolutely nothing of coding, but since TJ doesn't need money to keep the game going nor does he have any interest in lining his pockets, isn't everything we want in the cave a matter of coding? Old CB Holidays that have been discussed? Solved with a re-release before the new one. New BSAs? Coding.

I've been on DC since 2009, I absolutely love this site, but I'm afraid I just wouldn't stick around if a currency was introduced.

The only thing I would ever bend for would be a Scroll change or even a forum name change. Other than that, I've just been asking myself why exactly every one is wanting to complicate DC suddenly, and I mean that in the most respectful way possible.

Individuals would pay for the perks they want for their own account.

-You want the ability to fog all your own dragons at once then it cost a small fee. It has absolutely no affect on any other player, gives no 'play' benefit' other than being convenient. Free accounts still have the ability to fog, just one at a time.

I understand your point. I assume that would be valid also for things like the 8th slot smile.gif

Now what about things like "kick the blockers to the AP", suggestions that are more generic and not account/specific?

I don't wanna read through 11 pages of responses so heres my basic response:

I don't want DC to become a fremium.

A fremium where paid users get all the best creatures, all the best advantages, all the best perks, etc.

The example used in the OP for ad removal is not something that really affect the user base because people can get all sorts of ad block.

Things like name changes, growth perks, adoptables, account perks, etc those should remain free. Those all seem like advantages that should not be singularly made accessible to only those who can pay.

I saw someone else mention the fact about prizes having the ability to be bought because they can be won in a non monetary way. See I put in no money to buy my place to earn my prize. I didnt pay for onsite currency to buy tickets to have a better chance. I joined the game like everyone else and I took the time to play like everyone else. All of us who reached a certain level in the snow fort game had an equal chance at winning and as such I don't think its fair to only give those with the ability to pay a chance at something that originally at no cost everyone had an equal chance to get. Something like the store which gives everyone and eaqual chance to earn points and buy prizes and other eggs is fine.

Spending money for points also seems unfair. Many games hook you this way. They make you spend money for coins, gems, whatever to be able to do actions faster, be able t purchase certain account perks like less time on things, more gains for actions, etc, or for limited time only perk or adoptable only available with that currency. That's what has driven many users away from those games and more to a place to DC where everyone is at level and the only difference is in skill and internet connection. Everyone has access to everything at the same level with no paid perks.

Even if you try to say "Well we can have the points be accessible through payment with real money and earning them through the site" those methods are bull. Lets say that for $5 you can get 500 points. To get those same 500 points via game play, you need to play for an exceedingly long time, it can take months to get even close, and by then its not even with it for what you originally wanted to get if its a limited item or adoptable. And if you make it dirt easy to obtain 500 points through game play then whats the point in charging for it? if people can get it with relative ease. Even if you want to use the logic of "it would take much less time to buy it than to earn it" then thats cheap because you are already ensuring that those who can cough up cash can already jump ahead of the line with little to no effort from everyone else who cannot pay for whatever personal reason.

At the end of the day its the concept of what most of society is doing, allowing those who can cough up enough cash to get ahead of the game and get the better things as opposed to everyone else. Why should money determine whether they can hatch their eggs faster, change their names, have certain account options, or get that cool adopt. Its a pain in the neck to know that I didn't miss out on an adopt due to not being there for the event but rather because I wasn't able to cough up the cash because feeding me and my family as well as paying my bills and feeding my pets was more important. Yes priorities, but I'd rather not have the game which is supposed to allow me to relax a bit and hatch some eggs remind me that I obviously much tighter for cash than everyone else who seems to always have a spare $10-$50 to drop on an adoptable game.

I've always really disliked paid perks because of that. It allows for people who can pay to move ahead of everyone else and creates a group of monetary elitists who can buy almost anything they want and use that to get everything they need. If people had a flipping heart attack with Prize owners because "Oh noes trade fodder" then with the addition of paid perks or in game currency to buy items and adoptables, people are going to loose their minds.

Well, I would like to see a better game, a better forum and I would like to have a better chance to get CB prizes, CB golds and silvers and CB hollidays.

While I fully agree with the CB metals, Prizes are just that. Prizes. And while I'd love one, it defeats the purpose to me to have them just be bought just like that... In my mind, they then loose all value.

CB Metals are just a matter of ratios, users with faster internet, and coding if I understand everything correctly (which I'm willing to say I'm not coding-savvy so I may fully be wrong). That's just my peace on prizes though.

While I fully agree with the CB metals, Prizes are just that. Prizes. And while I'd love one, it defeats the purpose to me to have them just be bought just like that... In my mind, they then loose all value.

CB Metals are just a matter of ratios, users with faster internet, and coding if I understand everything correctly (which I'm willing to say I'm not coding-savvy so I may fully be wrong). That's just my peace on prizes though.

I will be honest with you because I'm always honest: I don't really care about the metaphorical value of pixel dragons. I want CB prizes, plural, and means to get them. If they would be offered for money, I'll sure get some to myself.

I understand your point. I assume that would be valid also for things like the 8th slot smile.gif

Now what about things like "kick the blockers to the AP", suggestions that are more generic and not account/specific?

Actually I hope it wouldn't include things like an extra slot because again that brings it into the realm of giving paying players a slight edge over non paying players. It's bad enough to hear the new players with only 4 egg slots bemoan that fact at every new release, I can just imagine how it would be if some people could buy their way into even more slots.

I'm not sure how TJ would tie pay to play to non specific things like kicking blockers. That would seem to me that it would require donations or some sort of dues and doesn't really fall under pay to play the way I understand it.

Edited by Tawanda001

I will be honest with you because I'm always honest: I don't really care about the metaphorical value of pixel dragons. I want CB prizes, plural, and means to get them. If they would be offered for money, I'll sure get some to myself.

Alright, while that's your opinion, a lot of users do value them because of their "metaphorical value" because they're used in trade to complete scroll goals and whatnot.

You already have means to get them. *shrug* We would lose half of the fun in DC by taking away the "metaphorical value of pixels"

@AnanoKimi and Eclipseheart

Do you mind telling me who is going to pay for the implementation of new Suggestions/Requests? Or should we just assume that we can demand that TJ implement those on his free time?

Edit:

@Tawanda: why not? that would not impact anybody else? why should someone care if someone else has more slots? I did not when I had only 12 slots, I did not when I had 15 etc.

@Eclipseheart: the majority of the users in DC has no chance to get a CB Gold or other rares, the majority has no chance to get a CB Prize, what is wrong with giving those users a chance?

Edited by NotBambi

Do you mind telling me who is going to pay for the implementation of new Suggestions/Requests? Or should we just assume that we can demand that TJ implement those on his free time?

Pay? I'm trying to avoid pay completely. All Suggestions/Requests have been done without money so far to my knowledge.

EDIT: If you're talking about using the new implecations, like I keep saying, everything is coded into the site. If you really want to be able to purchase things, it would be coded in and then you would have to pay to be able to use it.

Edited by Eclipseheart

Alright, while that's your opinion, a lot of users do value them because of their "metaphorical value" because they're used in trade to complete scroll goals and whatnot.

You already have means to get them. *shrug* We would lose half of the fun in DC by taking away the "metaphorical value of pixels"

My only fun in DC in the latest years are the new releases and the hollidays. Nothing else because I can't really have anything good. Like someone said the other day, my scroll doesn't have anything valuable for trades so, I don't really care about "your fun in DC" with the metaphoric value of the dragons because I'm excluded of that.

And THIS is a great question.

Pay? I'm trying to avoid pay completely. All Suggestions/Requests have been done without money so far to my knowledge.

EXACTLY! Because so far TJ has been using his time to code them! How is that right to exploit his labor and time???

This topic is about how you feel about paid perks and what kind of implementation you'd like to see if you are for them. It is not about TJ's finances or time. It's just a simple discussion on your actual opinions on paid perks.

My only fun in DC in the latest years are the new releases and the hollidays. Nothing else because I can't really have anything good. Like someone said the other day, my scroll doesn't have anything valuable for trades so, I don't really care about "your fun in DC" with the metaphoric value of the dragons because I'm excluded of that.

DC is supposed to be fun for everyone. If you don't care about my fun, why on earth should I care about you wanting to get CB Prizes because they're valuable and you have an inability to get them? Many users breed their low-gens for free. Some CB Prize owners even do it and there will always be years to get them.

I'm not going to argue, you have your opinion and I have mine, but to completely say my opinion is invalid because you simply "Don't care" is a bunch of malarkey. I stand by the fact that CB Prizes and Prize lines are what make the game worth while to a lot of people who won them, that's it..

That's why I'm against paid-perks like this. It takes away part of the fun.

This is going in a completely off-topic direction as well so I'm done replying before I get a warning.

Edited by Eclipseheart

Oh trust me, I will have the best fun in the world shopping dragons.

There is a thread with a suggestion for a huge shop, I think that's what TJ should do. A huge shop with many options of paid stuff including, of course, all dragons.

Edited by danicast

Well.. to go back to the topic:

The goal of my original post was to get opinions on the concept of some parts of the site having a paid component to them (which may or may not be accessible without paying).

Isn't there a shop where TJ sells mugs, shirts, calendars, etc? There are other ways to make money to help fund a site without exploiting part of its game play to create revenue. Its unfair to create perks specifically for those who can pay and excluding those who cannot.

Yes its hard to code but no one is telling TJ to do it alone as well. I am sure there are other capable coders who frequent here who if given the chance could help. If TJ continues to do it alone that's his choice and not our fault.

its also kind of late to start creating paid perks in a site who has been known for years to run and work without them while having as much player satisfaction as possible. Sometimes when you create something you have to go in knowing its not all going to be easy nor are you always going to be repaid for your efforts, especially if you create it a certain way. This game has never really seemed to want to be like those other fremium games where you pay for all sorts of pay and really the donate for ad block only came about due to the increasing use of ad block. But again all of that is already accessible.

I would donate or purchase from the shop but I already have enough on my plate to feed my self and my family as well as deal with feeding and keeping my pets healthy, so there is no room for leisure purchases. If you are really worried about TJ being paid for his efforts then head to the shop and make some purchases there, encourage some of DC's fan artists to contact dragon spriters so they can create art to be used in calendars for the site, or get together with users you know can afford to donate and donate without the need to receive any perks in return.

If your real concern is repaying TJ for his hard work, dont push for paid perks but encourage donation or DC shop purchases.

Edited by AnanoKimi

Purchasing anything already in the Cave from the site would be a disaster: it sets a firm price for what's already here. However, if its a currency earned in-game as well as purchased, then the userbase sets the value of each species. And it avoids tangling with the ratios.

And going with a currency and then using the currency to upgrade things means even those who don't pay can get the upgrades and currency by trading others FOR the currency, even if they choose not to earn it in-game themselves. I know I'd happily pay someone to raise some lineaged eggs for me, then send them back as lower timed hatchies.

As for "TJ says compensation is not important", I believe him: in regards to maintaining the site, new releases, and Holiday events. I also believe that someone who's HOBBY brings them funds spends more TIME on that hobby.

Cheers!

C4.

Skimming since it's late and I should be in bed already (more-informed post will come in a day or two when I actually have reading time). Also apologies if I'm not fully coherent.

I mess around with a different dragon site, and that one does involve paid real money. But it also has in-game currency. Sure it sets up an imbalance (I have to grind for ages, use their auction house to sell everything to earn the type of currency considered "paid", in order to do the fancier stuff), but they make that same currency available to all, but there's some small hoops to go through (it's really just "log on every day").

It's fun, because it ties into their in-game lore: sentient dragons, and the stores are run by them. Fun if you like economic stuff.

And then I come here, where I can breed for lineages and simply collect pretties for completionist personal goals.

I do not like the idea of paying here to grab something that previously was only available to those who worked hard hunting the cave or breeding something worthy to trade to those who worked hard hunting the cave. (No CB Golds or Silvers, only recently even snagged a few Chickens/Dinos, not sure if I even have a Holly period, etc = me)

It would also screw up ratios, I've seen people say.

Marie19R makes a nice point page 10.

It's what I like about this site, not the other.

I'll read through the entire thing when I get a chance, to weigh in on particulars (i.e., "wouldn't mind paying for X, but I refuse Y" and so on).

But here I'll say that I do support a fun little way to kind of thank TJ for all the work he's spent on this site.

...I'm reminded of the site PowerPets (I actually rambled on a LONG surprising tangent to a customer today at work - it's been like 11 years), because their two creators were constantly on the forums, chatting with everyone and dealing with things. TJ stays in touch, and even though I have backed almost completely out of the forums (for extensive personal reasons), it is something that I still think is incredibly nice/heartwarming, and is something that would make me highly recommend DragCave (if not just the forums) to a person... if not the only reason (beyond "pretty pixel arts", "cool lineages", and "holiday event pretties").

Badges would be cool, though. I like shinies.