Obscure_Trash

ANSWERED:Paid Perks

and DC has a chat where nice things get tossed out too, but if you don't happen to be a part of that group for whatever reason you don't directly benefit from all the nice things going on there. Gifting is great, but it can't help all the players that are lacking nice things. I can't see that people gifting things they got through pay for play perks will have much of a trickle down effect.

Aside of that I wouldn't want to be in need of charity in for of something that cost real money in a pixel game.

Gifts of pixels is one thing, being excluded from some dragons/feature usage because of money is vastly different

Actually, offering a download version of old minigames for a couple of dollars seems like a nice idea. Heck, I'd even be okay with it if people could unlock the actual minigames (tree decorating...) on-site and even get the corresponding badges. After all, it doesn't affect gameplay at all.

This would be something I would pay for. Anything affecting the dragons themselves I would say no to. Being able to play through some of the old holiday games would be fun, especially if once unlocked with money, they stayed unlocked.

I'm against the idea of being able to buy dragons. Other little things, like the mini game suggestion people have said and username changes, even changing your dragons into the costume sprites for a week or something, I'd be ok with. The reason I don't like the idea of being able to buy dragons is because I think I actually would probably put money into it when I'm frustrated that I can't catch certain things or impatient or whatever. But I think as soon as you do begin forking over money for something that you've previously played to get, it's just not fun anymore. The reason we all keep coming back to play is because it's fun and we've got goals that we want to work towards and achieve. If you could just pay for everything you want, where would the challenge be? The game would get really boring, really quickly, in my opinion. You just have to look at many of the early prize winners who left the game because they were able to get things too easily and got bored to see what I'm talking about.

Edited by StormWizard212

To be honest, I'm so sick of trying to hunt for the CB rares I don't have I wouldn't mind if I could just buy them and be done with it. I like breeding, not hunting.

Nope, not against. Anything that would allow the player base to get some of the dying CB holidays back in rotation is fine with me. Be it monetary perks, in game currency, some sort of store, whatever.

Edited by dothefreddy

I know they are more expensive. I think it an entirely fair concept to make people pay for access to a faster connection. I don't disagree with it IN ANY WAY.

Sure, lovely. What about the HUGE number of us all over the world (including me) who CANNOT buy access to a faster connection because it simply isn't there to be had. Mine is adequate - but not by the standards of most people who mutter about these things. I am told by my grandson that it is USELESS for Minecraft, for instance xd.png

But however rich I was - unless I could buy my own satellite - I have the fastest I can have, where I live. That is life for MANY of us. Some of us can still only get DIALUP !

So please nothing that makes that discrepancy worse.

I just don't want it to happen on DC, because actually, yes, I WOULD prefer a slower speed for EVERYBODY over a faster speed for those who can afford to pay.

Exactly. Just reiterating, as the facts of crap internet seem to get lost at times.

Edited by fuzzbucket

TJ has been, from my perspective, really decent to excellent in directing this game. There are two main reasons I don't ever see this becoming a pay scam site:

1. DC is great Resume/Project Status for TJ. It's something unique that makes him very special that not many people can say they have done. If he turns it into a scam site, he throws away that prestige. Running DC might cost money, but it also has monetary benefits in other ways.

2. The Artists aren't going to continue to work for for a scam game. They are pretty clear that they like the general philosophy and culture about this game. Sure, people can be replaced, but that takes time and effort and I think everyone involved seems to like the team culture currently.

I would love to see whatever rolls out. If it doesn't go over well, TJ will likely retract it. He's done stuff before people weren't crazy over and either found another solution or reversed it. People complain they want to see more new stuff, more than just new dragon releases, and then an idea is mentioned and people freak out. There is no benefit to TJ to go about destroying this game. If he wanted to kill he, he could just turn it off... People are way too over reactive. I understand people are concerned as players. Many admins don't even ask. Besides, when TJ asks about stuff, it usually takes awhile to even come around and its generally in baby steps unless its some major coding fix that just has to happen.

I think we will be ok and be able to survive this, even together.

...You know, I was dazedly scrolling through a bunch of the comments made on this thread, and you have a very good point.

While I've always shied away from "paid perks" in general-- just because I've seen how it CAN ruin a game-- I'm being completely honest when I say this is probably one of my favorite sites. From the overall pleasant community to the dragons that I've grown attached to (even when I can't snag that CB Silver, haha~).

When I think about it, I don't think this site will ever become scammy, even with perks. I'm seeing any eventual perks as very subtle things, and not buying CB Golds and crud like that, but I think I can put my faith in the fact that Dragon Cave will remain enjoyable for everyone. So I'm indefinitely going to stay until I explicitly SEE a scamming sort of action.

Nope, not against. Anything that would allow the player base to get some of the dying CB holidays back in rotation is fine with me. Be it monetary perks, in game currency, some sort of store, whatever.

You know..I just thought about it but...Cb holidays.

What if we could buy CB holidays. Of ones we don't have as CB that is. We can buy a MAXIMUM of 2 each CB. Yes, even for Halloween ones. That way if you weren't around back when DC was starting out, the new users, myself included could get Cb marrows, a pair. Or any holiday you wanted. Maybe the shop opens during each corresponding holiday

Though I'm against Cb prizes/metallics...or any buying of nonholiday dragons.

Maybe the mana mini game can be the way to get in game currency? That way, everyone can earn the currency (even if not everyone can play it constantly, its still an option) I'm still against real money for DC.

You know..I just thought about it but...Cb holidays.

What if we could buy CB holidays. Of ones we don't have as CB that is. We can buy a MAXIMUM of 2 each CB. Yes, even for Halloween ones. That way if you weren't around back when DC was starting out, the new users, myself included could get Cb marrows, a pair. Or any holiday you wanted. Maybe the shop opens during each corresponding holiday

Though I'm against Cb prizes/metallics...or any buying of nonholiday dragons.

Maybe the mana mini game can be the way to get in game currency? That way, everyone can earn the currency (even if not everyone can play it constantly, its still an option) I'm still against real money for DC.

I would be OK with this ingame currency thing.

That gives everyone the chance.

To all those objecting to TJ getting paid a little something for his dev time.... I ask you:

Have you ever coded anything?

Have you ever spent hours coding something.... Then had to spend days tracking down a little bug?

Have you ever had to try to re-create a bug someone else found.... And have it take days to do?

Coding even something small can often take hours, because of testing and debugging. For those objecting to paid perks... Have you thought about how you are asking TJ to give you unpaid labor?

The DC userbase is so big that TJ doesn't have to have the features cost much at all to bring in significant sums... Certainly enough to encourage him to spend more hours in dev time! Think about it.

In 2010, the userbase was estimated to be more than 10,000 players strong

If half the people paid $10 a year.... That's $50,000 a year.

Would I, personally, spend $10 a year on DC? Depending on the features involved, yes. Would I spend $40 a year? Depending on the features: yes!

Given the size of the player base, TJ has no *reason* to get greedy.... Even extremely inexpensive features could generate phenomenal amounts, and pay him for his dev time. And history has shown that he's not the greedy type, either. History has also shown that he's willing to listen and change. And this is a well established game with a long history and a strong userbase. Its in his personal best interest to keep that userbase intact... which means paid perks need to be very inexpensive.

So, all this anxiety and fear is miss-placed. I have no doubt that TJ would get it right in the end, so the non-paying users aren't disadvantaged. It might take a few tries to get it right (it usually does), but I have confidence it'd get there in the end.

Cheers!

C4.

Absolutely NO paid perks that change game play. If you can't snag the CB metals (it took me five years to get my first by myself) then trade for them. Why does it always have to come down to rich vs. poor or haves vs. have nots?

NO to ANY paid perks that effect gameplay in anyway.

It'd be cool for other perks though.

Like a badge or something.

As long as it doesn't give paid players an advantage.

Absolutely NO paid perks that change game play. If you can't snag the CB metals (it took me five years to get my first by myself) then trade for them. Why does it always have to come down to rich vs. poor or haves vs. have nots?

If it was that easy I would have already done that.

Right now it IS poor Vs rich and fast connections Vs slow connections. People who can afford the fastest connection available are already at an advantage. Some of us, like Fuzz said, already have the fastest available in our countries, and that's still a bad connection in comparison to those who have optic fiber and other perks. Then those who have certain desirable dragons are at advantage vs those who don't have prize dragons.

Why is it so scary if I pay 10 dollars to get a CB gold? How does this affect your gameplay at all? DC is not a PVP sort of game. We don't compete except when hunting. Once the dragon is in my scroll it doesn't affect you at all. My CB gold is the same as the CB gold of everyone else, with the same breeding failure rates, and the same sprite and everything. How is it different for the gameplay if I can buy it, you can trade it, and someone else can hunt it?

Right now it IS poor Vs rich and fast connections Vs slow connections. People who can afford the fastest connection available are already at an advantage. Some of us, like Fuzz said, already have the fastest available in our countries, and that's still a bad connection in comparison to those who have optic fiber and other perks. Then those who have certain desirable dragons are at advantage vs those who don't have prize dragons.

Why is it so scary if I pay 10 dollars to get a CB gold? How does this affect your gameplay at all? DC is not a PVP sort of game. We don't compete except when hunting. Once the dragon is in my scroll it doesn't affect you at all. My CB gold is the same as the CB gold of everyone else, with the same breeding failure rates, and the same sprite and everything. How is it different for the gameplay if I can buy it, you can trade it, and someone else can hunt it?

I second this. Also, this is a very giving community, and I have no doubt that people who could afford to pay for rares would gift when possible. I have the means to pay for certain dragons that I will probably never be able to catch in the caves, and once I have my own, I'd happily pay for someone else to have perks as well.

Edit: The wording above makes it seem like I am currently paying for dragons and just waiting to receive them. That is NOT the case. I meant I have sufficient income to do so if this was implemented. My apologies.

Edited by Labyrinthian

Paying ten dollars for a CB Gold negates the value of the Gold that some have spent years trying to get. It's a cop-out. It cheats those who have honestly hunted their hard-earned Golds.

No to payments that affect gameplay.

C4, also, same goes for anything crafted by hand as it is coded. my mum has people looking at her stained glass art and saying - wow so expensive then they go purchase offshore glass work. They are not taking into account the time it takes.

Now as far as TJ's site goes, He has stated before that he would attempt to achieve balance. He stated that he basically does this for fun and love. So he is not likely to go corrupt on it as he does have a full time job.

I believe, from what I know of the man, he would never make this a pay to play site in the manner of CB golds becoming buy only thing and I am fairly sure that in game currency could be earned as opposed to buy only. He would attempt to make the game fair for all. As I have seen, his attempts at bringing balance to the game has been exceptional. He does listen.

So no, this site will not go corrupt. and if it did, I am sure a huge amount of the staff would object profoundly. I am one of them who would.

As I said, I would go for holidays being in game currency purchase. If limited to two CB, and cost was not tremendous, you could either buy some (for the impatient) or earn some by playing for a few days, it would not be such a bad thing.

as far as I see it, him making a little cash back for his time invested is not much too ask. All in all, it might allow us to get better bandwidth.

Edited by Starscream

I agree with Cyradis4, DragonNighthowler, and Starscream. What they said makes sense. Edited by Fateweaver

Well...if BUYING golds/metallics don't screw up the ratios of actual in cave drops...go for it? Maybe those that buy them Cb would be out of the cave looking for them, letting us who don't wanna pay have a shot...or not.

If they get them from the biome, it'll say so on the page(Alpine,coast,etc). If they buy them, it will just say cave?

Might be nice to see something else wanted in trades besides "low gen Shimmers" or "cb" golds. I usually go on EATW and here. Most the time someones asking for "Xenos, gold,silver,copper,shimmer, or tinsels" its been two years and now I'm seeing blu sangs be given away for less than this...(I can finally start hoarding them)

Though Tinsel and Shimmers I'm iffy on.....but another part of me would like to make my OWN lineage with a Cb instead of giving crazy things for someone to breed theirs with.

I'd still say if a type of currency is involved, make it via a mini game. That way everyone has their chance. Everyone can play a mini game. Sure getting a bunch of points for what we want will take a while..but its better I guess than being here 5 years looking for a Cb silver with horrid connection.

I'd say we'd all have a cap on the number we can buy. 2 CB's from buying each.

And TJ has already said this is not about compensation, so can we please quit using that as a go to, and stick with discussing the merits of the pay for play without falling back on that argument?

There are other forms of paid perks that don't affect game play, but it seems to me he wants to hear our thoughts on what we might find an acceptable level of paying for enhanced game play.

Where do we want to draw the line? Nothing that affects game play, pay for minor things like enhanced BSAs, or an all out anything goes including buying rares, etc?

Purchasing anything already in the Cave from the site would be a disaster: it sets a firm price for what's already here. However, if its a currency earned in-game as well as purchased, then the userbase sets the value of each species. And it avoids tangling with the ratios.

And going with a currency and then using the currency to upgrade things means even those who don't pay can get the upgrades and currency by trading others FOR the currency, even if they choose not to earn it in-game themselves. I know I'd happily pay someone to raise some lineaged eggs for me, then send them back as lower timed hatchies.

As for "TJ says compensation is not important", I believe him: in regards to maintaining the site, new releases, and Holiday events. I also believe that someone who's HOBBY brings them funds spends more TIME on that hobby.

Cheers!

C4.

Purchasing anything already in the Cave from the site would be a disaster: it sets a firm price for what's already here. However, if its a currency earned in-game as well as purchased, then the userbase sets the value of each species. And it avoids tangling with the ratios.

And going with a currency and then using the currency to upgrade things means even those who don't pay can get the upgrades and currency by trading others FOR the currency, even if they choose not to earn it in-game themselves. I know I'd happily pay someone to raise some lineaged eggs for me, then send them back as lower timed hatchies.

As for "TJ says compensation is not important", I believe him: in regards to maintaining the site, new releases, and Holiday events. I also believe that someone who's HOBBY brings them funds spends more TIME on that hobby.

Cheers!

C4.

Forcing players to use your forum to get access to features of the game is poor form. If you want to lean on trades distributing your currency, then you need trade functionality to be part of the website itself. Setting up teleports that you can't tell anyone about over the game itself is obviously not enough.

Though obviously, poorer players are not going to have anything that people will pay to trade for, period. Not everyone is sitting on the pile of CB metals and low gen shimmers everyone wants to trade for, and charity has all the issues of debasement and begging, plus the fact that it's unlikely to be common at all when you're directly involving money. Same sort of issues that came up time and time again when discussing this yesterday.

I am strongly against any payed perk, not only those that disvantage you (like buying CB golds like candies) but also those that directly don't damage anything (like someone else who pay to change his username).

There are mainly two reasons:

1) I hate to think that a game online is asking me money. I understand donations, sponsor banners, removal of pubblicity, but not any dragon on sale

2) In my family we don't buy many merchandise online. My parents don't like to use their credit card because they aren't used to online payments, they would simple not let me doing it, too.

3) This applies even for other younger Dragon Cave players. "mom, can I spend 5 dollars on a pixel dragon?" isn't the kind of question where I can tell for sure there is an Yes as answer.

Those perks that I could tollerate are few and only if the price is reasonable (never higher than 5 dollars or 5 euros) and are those suggested by natayah

I've read this thread with interest, and stepped away a few times out of anxiety for this suggestion. I still firmly believe that paid perks is NOT a good thing and will never BE fair no matter how you slice it.

Things that could be paid and Don't Affect Gameplay and are fine in my eyes:

-username change

-different skins

-a downloadable version of a holiday game

-pens, stickers, 'donation perks'

And I'm sure there are a few more I've forgotten.

Anything that makes a line between rich and poor is NO. We already have Major Issues with trading because of insanely inflated prices, I do NOT want this game to turn into a have vs have-not thing.

Person A has worked their butts off for *years* to find the two CB golds (can't trade for them 'cause they have nothing 'valuable' to trade). Person B, who started this game yesterday, can just *buy* two CB golds and doesn't have to do any work at all. NOPE, don't want. And that's only one little example. Just no. Really, no.

Things that could be paid and Don't Affect Gameplay and are fine in my eyes:

-username change

-different skins

-a downloadable version of a holiday game

-pens, stickers, 'donation perks'

Would you pay for those things? I know I would not. And I start seeing a pattern here.

The goal of my original post was to get opinions on the concept of some parts of the site having a paid component to them (which may or may not be accessible without paying).

Just to be clear this (bold is mine) is what I would pay for. Period.

Edited by NotBambi

Would you pay for those things? I know I would not. And I start seeing a pattern here.

I wouldn't pay for those things either :x What happens if TJ orders a bunch of pens or keychains and things and nobody ends up wanting to buy them?

Edited by DarkEternity