Obscure_Trash

ANSWERED:Paid Perks

@AnanoKimi and Eclipseheart

Do you mind telling me who is going to pay for the implementation of new Suggestions/Requests? Or should we just assume that we can demand that TJ implement those on his free time?

Edit:

@Tawanda: why not? that would not impact anybody else? why should someone care if someone else has more slots? I did not when I had only 12 slots, I did not when I had 15 etc.

@Eclipseheart: the majority of the users in DC has no chance to get a CB Gold or other rares, the majority has no chance to get a CB Prize, what is wrong with giving those users a chance?

Well, an extra slot means I can grab 3 sets of those new dragons, and if I'm lucky maybe the gold that goes whizzing by, and keep that lovely gift someone just gave me. Maybe I choose to leave a slot or two open for breeding or trading, without having to choose between that and getting new eggs.

Meanwhile the new user with just four slots has to decide whether they want to fill up with new eggs that may or may turn out to be rare, they might have to give up the red egg they just caught in order to grab a new egg.

Look at the trade threads when a popular new egg has been released, "so and so will trade a 2 or 3 g prize for four new xenos" Someone with more eggs slots has a better chance of having those four xenos on hand, how is that not an advantage?

In terms of new slots, why not reward uesers for every active year on DC? Thats a much better way to implement it over paid perks.

@Eclipseheart: the majority of the users in DC has no chance to get a CB Gold or other rares, the majority has no chance to get a CB Prize, what is wrong with giving those users a chance?

Everyone has a chance to get a CB Prize if you play the minigames and log on during the Holiday events.

As for the CB Metals, I know users who personally give them away for dirt, toss them to the departure thread, gift them, catch them for users for free, etc. It's all about asking. You can even learn how to get other rares to trade for whatever you want, because some rare dragons aren't exclusive to the cave.

To end, everyone also has a chance to get a CB Metal, some users are just faster, so why should they be implemented into a shop to be paid for?

In terms of new slots, why not reward uesers for every active year on DC? Thats a much better way to implement it over paid perks.

Love this, along with the idea of adding more trophies instead of paid perks.

Everyone has a chance to get a CB Prize if you play the minigames and log on during the Holiday events.

As for the CB Metals, I know users who personally give them away for dirt, toss them to the departure thread, gift them, catch them for users for free, etc. It's all about asking. You can even learn how to get other rares to trade for whatever you want, because some rare dragons aren't exclusive to the cave.

To end, everyone also has a chance to get a CB Metal, some users are just faster, so why should they be implemented into a shop to be paid for?

I can attest to this. When I had that I was looking for Golds and to be contacted for negotiations, I had one user continously gift me one when they had the chance and a few others who dropped one on me for no reason. It was out of the blue and I had to give nothing in return despite my offering them. So even if you cannot catch them there are users who are more than happy to gift. If I were able to I would be one of those people who would gift for no reason but to just gift. I gift tinsel fails and I have a few users whom I owe a prize gift because they asked nice enough that I felt compelled to comply. Its taking me some time to get there but I will get them their gifts.

So yeah its all about knowing who to ask or to simply ask nicely in your signature.

Allow me to go back to TJ's original point. Let's imagine that there are parts of the cave having a paid component to them. Why not a specific biome that can be accessed only by paying users? That would not take away anything that every user can access right now. New biome, new access. Easy.

Adding Paid features to a game that has been 100% free to play for years is a very dangerous move.

If it affects the gameplay at all (allows premium users to get more/rarer/unique dragons), the users will go crazy for a fact.

If it's innocent things that are mostly visual/decorative with no specific use, I don't think there will be much drama

Edited by LaHaine

Would you pay for those things? I know I would not. And I start seeing a pattern here.

Just to be clear this (bold is mine) is what I would pay for. Period.

I would totally pay for a downloadable version of tree decorating, or Snow Wars. Totally. I would also pay for DC pens. I've already bought a button from the store, ages ago when I could actually afford it.

TJ:

The goal of my original post was to get opinions on the concept of some parts of the site having a paid component to them (which may or may not be accessible without paying).

(bolding mine) THIS is what I'm very, very concerned about. Paid components that might not be accessible to people who can't throw money at a pixel game. Do Not Want.

Adding Paid features to a game that has been 100% free to play for years is a very dangerous move.

If it affects the gameplay at all (allows premium users to get more/rarer/unique dragons), the users will go crazy for a fact.

If it's innocent things that are mostly visual/decorative with no specific use, I don't think there will be much drama

This.

I'm p e r f e c t l y fine with being able to pay for cosmetic changes i.e scroll name change, buying skins, etc, other than that, I'm not okay with it. It'd be different if it had been added earlier to the game.

@SullenCat, the main point from a lot of users against paid-perks is not everyone can afford to pay. DC has always been the site people came to because money was in no way involved. Why should I essentially be punished (because that's what it feels like whenever I can't get something on a game due to being a little less well-off than those who can) for not having money? Odds are, only a few users would pay to get that biome, and now the rares that go in there are easier to grab than having it as fair game for everyone.

Anything other than cosmetic features being paid for is a no from me.

Allow me to go back to TJ's original point. Let's imagine that there are parts of the cave having a paid component to them. Why not a specific biome that can be accessed only by paying users? That would not take away anything that every user can access right now. New biome, new access. Easy.

The issue with that is that yes, it does affect game play actually. Thats an extra biome to hunt in, an extra biome that only those who pay for it have access to that can drop rares which means an extra chance for those who can pay for it to find rares in that biome. Even if the chance is still the same, its still an extra biome with the same chance. Its still more ways for someone to catch something rare. So no, I would be against that too.

So... if I'm reading this correctly... no changes... no implementation of new suggestions or requests... just status quo.

That's not what I was hoping for but... I guess we get what we deserve... or pay for.

So... if I'm reading this correctly... no changes... no implementation of new suggestions or requests... just status quo.

That's not what I was hoping for but... I guess we get what we deserve... or pay for.

No?

We do have suggestions being added to the cave, our whole point is that they don't require pay.

Tj's whole question was regarding what we would pay for, not that we wouldn't get certain things if we didn't.

We don't need to pay to implement new suggestions or requests. His topic was about a store to buy dragons and other things, not what he was willing to add.

There can be changes but there is no reason to make them a paid perk. Why can't we have any changes without making the user base pay? and if the reason you want the userbase to pay to help repay for TJ's work for the site then you do know there is a cafe shop thing where they sell shirts, sweaters, mugs, etc, and there is a donation button. Why do we have to get some kind of perk in return for our money? Why cant users just donate it for nothing but the sites existence in exchange?

Edited by AnanoKimi

We don't need to pay to implement new suggestions or requests. His topic was about a store to buy dragons and other things, not what he was willing to add.

Wait, where did TJ say anything about a store to buy dragons?

Nowhere, my apologies for just jumping to conclusions.

We should go back to what he said previously about the store. What he said lately about the paid concept was:

The goal of my original post was to get opinions on the concept of some parts of the site having a paid component to them (which may or may not be accessible without paying).

No No No Noooooooo.... If the store becomes a pay real money to buy dragons thing I will be so vehemently against it. No, No thats in no way fair to anyone. Thats not how things should work. No paying money for dragons or paying money for points to buy dragons. No a bit resounding NO on my part. No. Just no. censorkip.gif that.

I enjoyed the idea of working for the points through regular user interaction with the site. But giving people to jump that and buy the points is unfair. No paying for that store. No

No worries, the dragon store thing is just the sort of thing people are fretting about so it's easy to make the conclusion that TJ himself put forth the idea. I got more the impression that the perks would be more minor than actual dragons. Resetting BSA cooldowns, changing dragon's genders...stuff like that.

A couple more things that could qualify:

1) A steep price to ditch an misclicked egg before the 5 hour cooldown is over

2) Reset the breed timer for one dragon

Thoughts? I'm not sure how much the latter should be. High enough that people wouldn't abuse it, certainly.

No worries, the dragon store thing is just the sort of thing people are fretting about so it's easy to make the conclusion that TJ himself put forth the idea. I got more the impression that the perks would be more minor than actual dragons. Resetting BSA cooldowns, changing dragon's genders...stuff like that.

Thoughts? I'm not sure how much the latter should be. High enough that people wouldn't abuse it, certainly.

No offense but yawnnnnnnnnnnnn. There's no perk mentioned there that would persuade me to part with my hard-earned cash.

There is another suggestion about being able to earn points (or whatever) to be used for getting dragons. It doesn't seem to have really gotten off the ground because there isn't a lot of agreement about what sort of dragons should be available in the store.

Well, the suggestion is for a perk, not a dragon store. *shrug* TJ isn't looking to heavily monetize the site. Some people would, most wouldn't. That's fine.

Edit: I know about the Dragon Store idea, but that doesn't entail money so I didn't count it. :3

Edited by Tehya Faye

The only things I see wrong with 1. is that people may buy it just to dump blockers in the AP.

Also, I'm not for even earning a currency, because there will almost always be an option for people to buy that currency.

From what I see, a lot of users a pushing for a dragon store or something to buy to be able to get certain dragons. Hence to TJ's "Which may or may not be accessible without paying."

THAT's what gets me.

Cosmetic store? Go for it.

Anything affecting gameplay? Please no.

Steep price. Enough that somebody would have to pay a fortune to spam the AP or clear out biomes. Something that people would mostly use in an emergency for one egg.

Well, the suggestion is for a perk, not a dragon store. *shrug* TJ isn't looking to heavily monetize the site. Some people would, most wouldn't. That's fine.

Edit: I know about the Dragon Store idea, but that doesn't entail money so I didn't count it. :3

And, in conclusion, if people are not motivated by quite limited, worthless perks, they will not pay and things will stay as they are. The End.

Edited by SullenCat

Where are you getting the idea that TJ is holding the site hostage and demanding compensation if anything new is to be implemented?