Sinclair

Ability to swap an unbred dragon's gender somehow

Sigh. If we focus on BSA, this thread will end in the graveyard aka BSA area of the forum.

I would ask for the creators'opinion before assuming that.

Been there, done that. In another context, but still. It's true that the creators - or at least a vocal faction of them - wants their dragons to stay male-only or female-only. That, by the way, is why we can't influence those eggs.

Another thought I had was maybe allowing users to swap gender during a certain time of year, such as around Valentines day. Of course, some sort of lore would need to be made up so this makes more sense.

It would also have to be determined if there should be a limited or unlimited amount of gender swaps per user during this time.

Been there, done that. In another context, but still. It's true that the creators - or at least a vocal faction of them - wants their dragons to stay male-only or female-only. That, by the way, is why we can't influence those eggs.

Thanks, olympe. I was aware, but clearly some aren't...

Another thought I had was maybe allowing users to swap gender during a certain time of year, such as around Valentines day. Of course, some sort of lore would need to be made up so this makes more sense.

It would also have to be determined if there should be a limited or unlimited amount of gender swaps per user during this time.

You don't need any kind of lore if you go the route of "oops".

"You look closely at [insert dragon name or code here] and realize that it is not male/female, as you previously thought. You quickly correct your notes about [insert dragon name or code here] and mark it as female/male."

Meh. I'd rather not have premium features.

Neither do I, I cannot afford to pay for a pixel game and I like about DC that it treats everyone the same in this respect.

What about something that doesn't affect your dragons? For example, if someone could pay money to change their account's username (the payment acting as some sort of a barrier to discourage "abusing" the feature). Is that "pay to win?" Is that giving some people a material advantage over others?

I would prefer a different way to achieve this. I would LOVE to change my username, but I cannot afford to pay for it.

Now, what about a "paid currency" system (that is, you can either earn some "currency" through playing the game, or buy some directly)? Now, there is no feature that can only be accessed through money; the only gain is that you trade money for time saved. Is that still "pay to win?" Is that still the "worst way to go?"

I wouldn't mind some sort of currency that can be gotten by in-game actions. I would also not be opposed if people can additionally, the keyword here bein ADITIONALLY amounts of this currency with money to save time.

I just would not make any money exclusive features.

Edited by Nalyua

Yes no money exclusive features. Having a unbred, nonmono gender only dragon swap genders is fine with me.

But I'd rather it not be a bsa since

1.) Which dragon would be even suitable

2.) It will take too long imo to get implemented.

And yeah sullencat valentines are mono gender for a reason. There's no way in the present time that users will be able to swap genders and I doubt it will happen in the future.

How about we get this subject back on track?

Original subject:

Ability to swap an unbred dragon's gender somehow

(secondary idea is making it a feature for pay)

What do you think about changing an adult dragon's, who hasn't got offspring's, gender?

Say, Influence failed and it's a Gold Shimmer? Or, it's your only (off-gender) Valentine and you want to breed it to your only CB Gold?

Would you want this available across the board for everyone? Would you want to have it available at all?

I'd certainly support a gender change for hatchies/adult dragons - why should they be trapped in the wrong bodies forever?

I believe that it should be available across the board for everyone - not a 'pay-to-play' feature unavailable to many and creating further two-tier issues thereby discouraging more members.

I'd want an OK from each active spriter/conceptor before we gained any ability to create any gender changes on their sprites though, as they may have a specific concept for them which that wouldn't fit.

I collect only CB dragons so if I were to get two gold/silver/rare/whatever eggs and they both turned out to be one gender, that'd seriously suck. But making it so you can just go "BOOP! You're now a boy/girl!" makes it too easy. I'd much rather Influence be 100% reliable and unable to fail

I think I read somewhere TJ himself has stated DC will never charge anything for anything, or something like that.

I personally don't have money to spend on games so it was be a disadvantage for many including myself. So saying nah uh on that idea

Though, it would be an interesting Dragon's BSA to have a gender reassignment with magic. A few species actually can change gender IRL, a breed of frog for example.

BUT I would make it a one off BSA for the dragon it was used on.

In any case, if the offshoot thread about pay perks is any indication, it's best that we steer well clear off that idea.

I wouldn't oppose the "wrong observation" idea being implemented, now that I think about it.

My only problem with mistaken observations is that some breeds have fairly distinct dimorphism, like the Teimarr and Anagallis dragons. I really like the idea otherwise, but in a few cases it feels like it would be a little implausible.

My only problem with mistaken observations is that some breeds have fairly distinct dimorphism, like the Teimarr and Anagallis dragons. I really like the idea otherwise, but in a few cases it feels like it would be a little implausible.

OH - yes that would be a problem, I guess. Though if restricted to UNBRED dragons - which I think it has to be - not so bad. I think you HAVE to disallow this for dragons with offspring - especially on the scrolls of others..

Just wanted to say I love the idea of having a gender swap option for unbred dragons that are non-monogender, either via a BSA or an "oops" type action feature with its own cooldown limit.

I also support the site staying free of paid-for features, even if we had a games section that would let us earn in-game currency. I can see a problem being that those of us just scraping by through working long hours and multiple jobs won't really have that extra time to put into the games.

OH - yes that would be a problem, I guess. Though if restricted to UNBRED dragons - which I think it has to be - not so bad. I think you HAVE to disallow this for dragons with offspring - especially on the scrolls of others..

So you would think, but sometimes...

My grandparents owned a number of budgies, among them one grey-green buff-type budgie that displayed a bright blue-colored nose - which only males do. Over time, the budgie's nose changed. First, it looked sick, and when it healed, the nose was brown. Strangely enough, the budgie (which was the only one of that color and thus hard to mix up with others) acted more and more like a female: It took possesion of a nisting place (female behavior), mated with male budgies and did everything to prepare its nisting place for the eggs that never came. unsure.gif

Just saying that things aren't always black or white - there are shades of grey. (Probably around fifty.)

Edited by olympe

So you would think, but sometimes...

My grandparents owned a number of budgies, among them one grey-green buff-type budgie that displayed a bright blue-colored nose - which only males do. Over time, the budgie's nose changed. First, it looked sick, and when it healed, the nose was brown. Strangely enough, the budgie (which was the only one of that color and thus hard to mix up with others) acted more and more like a female: It took possesion of a nisting place (female behavior), mated with male budgies and did everything to prepare its nisting place for the eggs that never came. unsure.gif

Just saying that things aren't always black or white - there are shades of grey. (Probably around fifty.)

Well - Y-E-S - but - that person who caught the wonderful egg where both grandparents were female (some code recycling had clearly happened) - well, it did look VERY strange - a female canopy granddad, I think it was ! I'm not sure we'd all be thrilled with lineages that could change like that ?

(And I object to 50 shades, incidentally; it has seriously damaged a group of - people by making them look evil, co-ercive and violent, when they actually aren't...)

Gender correct for dragons?

I'd like that if it were free. DC actually includes everyone (well, besides the add-removal thing, but at least to me, adds are not too bad so I don't wish to remove them) and I would like it to stay that way.

Maybe there could be a one-time thing where you get one chance. Or two chances, if you want to swap it back. But defidently not for dragons with offspring, no. That would mess so many lineages up.

Well - Y-E-S - but - that person who caught the wonderful egg where both grandparents were female (some code recycling had clearly happened) - well, it did look VERY strange - a female canopy granddad, I think it was ! I'm not sure we'd all be thrilled with lineages that could change like that ?

(And I object to 50 shades, incidentally; it has seriously damaged a group of - people by making them look evil, co-ercive and violent, when they actually aren't...)

I think that's why people here insist on only allowing a gender swap for dragons without offspring. (I wouldn't go as far as needing them to be unbred, as long as there are no offspring due to refusals, no interest or no egg produced - none of which would be surprising if one of the "mates" wasn't the gender it's supposed to be.)

I think that's why people here insist on only allowing a gender swap for dragons without offspring. (I wouldn't go as far as needing them to be unbred, as long as there are no offspring due to refusals, no interest or no egg produced - none of which would be surprising if one of the "mates" wasn't the gender it's supposed to be.)

This.

I felt quite CERTAIN that something along that line was intended by limiting a swap to dragons that hadn't produced offspring yet.

As for me, well... it might be a useful thing to have.

THOUGH IF I had to pay to use it, I'd do without...I DO recall this was suggested as a paid-perk.

NOT sure if that is what the OP of this thread is thinking or not, tbh.

it could just be you wrote down the wrong information

you knew that Fuzzy the Apple was male but you wrote down female by accident, you realize this and correct your records

this happens, my older sister's original birth certificate lists her as Male but she is/has always been Female (its a family joke)

it could just be you wrote down the wrong information

you knew that Fuzzy the Apple was male but you wrote down female by accident, you realize this and correct your records

this happens, my older sister's original birth certificate lists her as Male but she is/has always been Female (its a family joke)

Haha, good point! I know that I've certainly put down one thing when I meant to write something different. xd.png

We can already influence the gender of an egg, I don't see how changing the gender of an un-bred dragon is a problem. I also don't see the need to be a paid feature. I've got this male pink who I forgot to influence female. I've bred him now, but if a gender swap option was available I would have used it.

touching on the implementation of paid features; it is fully possible to run a game where paid features don't give unreasonable benefit to paying members. I play a few games with premium accounts and buyable currency, and in none of them have I ever spent a penny. On Howrse I actually ended up very rich and very well off simply through buying in cheap, raising to better quality and reselling, as well as taking part in the raffles to win yummy prizes.

Paid features don't have to end in non paying players getting left behind. and in some cases it benefits the non paying players. again, using howrse as an example; some of the most generous people on howrse were paying players who would simply offer away gifts to people who were needing them. If you were smart about when you bought horses, and smart about when you put them up for auction, the premium members often paid just that little bit more for a horse. paid features will change the way we play, but it doesn't have to be in a negative way.

There's a massive amount of fear on paid features, but in my experience it's unwarranted. I can't afford to pay for perks, but if the system was put in place I wouldn't be upset. TJ seems to be very mindful of keeping the game fair and balanced. I might still be new, but I don't see any reason to distrust TJ's ability to implement paid features in a fair manner.

I don't think this is needed. Even though I DID influence HIM -and it was my first ever influence fail.

https://dragcave.net/lineage/iJbJ2

I would have been tempted, I confess, but no I STILL would not want to see anything IN GAME become a paying feature. This was just INCREDIBLY bad luck sad.gif

Edited by fuzzbucket

I don't think this is needed. Even though I DID influence HIM -and it was my first ever influence fail.

https://dragcave.net/lineage/iJbJ2

I would have been tempted, I confess, but no I STILL would not want to see anything IN GAME become a paying feature. This was just INCREDIBLY bad luck sad.gif

Once you go there, you're there.

The ad removal thing is an option to replace advertising revenue for a better playing experience - but *the ads are not part of the actual game*, merely providing funding for it.

Once some people with more money (and therefore being already more likely able to afford better computers/faster connections) become able to improve their playing experience by buying attributes/objects/abilities *from/involving the game itself*, you have a direct pay-to-play aspect where people having RL advantages can gain in-games advantages which other people can't.

Another aspect would be regarding concerns in the use of online services such as Pay Pal.

I've been getting a steady flow of scam mail involving (among other things) claims purporting to be from Pay Pal, which I fortunately haven't used in years, with the credit card used for online purchases long since defunct.

But while these chappies would evidently need to con me into sending them my information, there are keyloggers and other issues of concern, not to mention the vulnerabilities various spy agencies have been and are installing in our computers and making us more vulnerable to hacking.*

So some of us computer illiterates would be nervous about engaging in online financial transactions even if we ever had more than upcoming bank charges in them.

Personally, I probably wouldn't worry as much if I'd been able to have some of the rather odd issues which have come up checked out by someone, but while my trusty brother used to be over regularly when I was caregiver to our mother, I hardly see him anymore and he hasn't offered to look at my computer in ages, and the extra I paid to have services when buying this computer was wasted, as I was never able to get hold of a tech while the service was active.

And I'll bet a fair number of the people on here did not grow up with computers either and that there are others beside myself uncertain of how secure their computers would be in that regard.

*AND things like this:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/02/1...-DO-NOT-INSTALL

Sun Aug 02, 2015 at 10:21 AM PDT

Windows 10 comes with built-in spyware. If your work requires confidentiality, DO NOT INSTALL.

by OllieGarkey

... End User License Agreement which gives Microsoft permission to read your emails, record your location and activities, log your browsing history and what programs and applications you run, and share these with "trusted" sources. ...

... by installing Windows 10, you're agreeing to an End User License Agreement which gives Microsoft permission to read your emails, record your location and activities, log your browsing history and what programs and applications you run, and share these with "trusted" sources. You're also agreeing that Microsoft can turn over the content of those emails along with data about you mined from your computer, to any trusted partner, or to any law enforcement agency based on a "good faith" determination by Microsoft that the content is needed by that agency. There is no way for an ordinary user to disable these settings. Unless you're familiar with group policy settings, using an elevated command prompt, and editing the computer's registry, there is simply no way to disable Microsoft's data mining system. If you don't have a "Pro" version, you won't even have access to gpedit, and so there will no way for you to fully disable the pre-installed spyware. ...

Don't Want Windows 10? Follow these instructions

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/27/1...se-instructions

Thu Aug 27, 2015 at 03:48 PM PDT

Don't Want Windows 10? Follow these instructions

by Ohaeri for Ohaeri

Back in the halcyon days of July 2015, before I had heard anything about Microsoft's anti-privacy stance and embedded spyware in Windows 10, I reserved a copy of my very own. This was a mistake.

Just how hard was it to get Microsoft to stop prompting me to install Windows 10? Very hard. But after ten straight days of calling techs and posting in forums, I did it.

Please join me below the squiggly doobly-do of double infuriation for comprehensive instructions on how to get Microsoft to stop bothering you, as well as how to recover if you've actually told it to reserve your copy or, God forbid, if you actually went and told it to download Windows 10 in preparation for an install. You poor sod. ...

Edit: lol, speaking as the Typo Queen, you'd think I'd learn to proofread first...

Edited by Syphoneira