Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

When does the breeding of christmas dragons begin and how long does it go for??

I believe it begins on the 19th and lasts a week. At least that is when it started last year.

When does the breeding of christmas dragons begin and how long does it go for??

For anybody with these questions, I suggest going through old news topics or looking back through the forum calendar. Different years should be pretty similar. :3

There was a thread in Site Discussion where people posted their highest and lowest Scroll view stats, and this is not the new or old DC Records thread.

I had posted the average views/uv/clicks for my scroll in the thread, and checked in periodically just to see what the latest comparison is, but can't find the thread now.

Does it still exist? My searches have not found it. sad.gif

There was a thread in Site Discussion where people posted their highest and lowest Scroll view stats, and this is not the new or old DC Records thread.

I had posted the average views/uv/clicks for my scroll in the thread, and checked in periodically just to see what the latest comparison is, but can't find the thread now.

Does it still exist? My searches have not found it. sad.gif

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...hl=stats&st=100 There's this one (I'll see if I can find more)

edit: This one might be what you are looking for - https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...09288&hl=lowest

Edited by rubyshoes

thank you, rubyshoes! The second one is it! biggrin.gif

You're welcome. I thought that that one might be it.

Just curious - when it comes to black alt hatchlings, what determines if it will be sitting or curled? Is one more common than the other?

Thanks!

It's random as far as I know. Neither seems to be more rare in my experience m but others may disagree.

Just curious - when it comes to black alt hatchlings, what determines if it will be sitting or curled? Is one more common than the other?

Thanks!

They come in phases sometimes one is "in season" (like now curled) sometimes its the other.

One has to be rarer overall, considering the troubles you have when trying to unlock "both" adult alt sprites. It seems quite a bit more adults come from one set of hatchlings (but I can't remember which one the difficult to find adults from was).

I think it is the curled ones that are somewhat rarer, but I'm not really sure how much rarer. As herk says they seem to come in streaks of one or the other.

For those with mostly-completed Encyclopedias... what habitats are shown for Whiptail dragons and Water Walkers?

For those with mostly-completed Encyclopedias... what habitats are shown for Whiptail dragons and Water Walkers?

Whiptails are forest and Water Walkers are coast, forest, and jungle c:

edit: You're welcome c:

Edited by Syferia

if you are looking for biomes, the wiki has that info as well.

Edited by dragonpuck

If the alts have 'seasons' that implies it is semirandom, meaning 'randomized' in a way that uses some nonrandom set of numbers as a reference, such as the current time of day. This would produce a satisfying appearance of true randomness but with deep patterns that would be noticeable over time and many runs. But ONLY with time and observation. That is, it isn't true randomness but it's close enough to be used where approximate randomness is needed. Many 'random' functions in games work that way.

Just because people have trouble getting both doesn't mean one is rarer, also. That would be true only if people consistently had trouble with getting the same one. But in my experience there is no such pattern. Some feel curling was harder to get than sitting, others the reverse. This implies roughly equal rarity over time.

I'm not talking about the hatchie sprites though. I'm talking about the adult sprites in the encyclopedia who are separated internally according to the hatchling they came from. Since you can't tell (as a user) once they've grown up, you are stuck with clicking tons and tons of adult alt blacks, usually on different scrolls and I'm pretty sure overall it's equally distributed time-wise when those critters grew up (in a curled or sitting phase). So I would have expected that the adult alt pictures would unlock around the same time (or at least close to each other) for most users trying to unlock them. There is no way to influence which adult to concentrate on first after all.

Nevertheless a lot of users experience that it's a lot harder to unlock one of the two sets, desperately seeking adults coming from a specific hatchling (I think it's curled) and you only need 15 to unlock the picture. Which implies that one variant is predominant in the overall population - it goes against my expectations how this should work, the data is probably too thin to allow for a real conclusion, etc. I still thought it was worth pointing out wink.gif

Edit: Of course you can tell IF the scroll is sorted by breed (and has at least one frozen sitting alt hatchie) because then they get separated by the sorting mechanism - but most scrolls don't fall in that category. Out of curiosity I did a temp sot thing and I have about double the number coming from sitting alts (hatchies and adults), not statistically significant with only about 30 alt Blacks but whatever.

I'm not talking about the hatchie sprites though. I'm talking about the adult sprites in the encyclopedia who are separated internally according to the hatchling they came from. Since you can't tell (as a user) once they've grown up, you are stuck with clicking tons and tons of adult alt blacks, usually on different scrolls and I'm pretty sure overall it's equally distributed time-wise when those critters grew up (in a curled or sitting phase). So I would have expected that the adult alt pictures would unlock around the same time (or at least close to each other) for most users trying to unlock them. There is no way to influence which adult to concentrate on first after all.

Nevertheless a lot of users experience that it's a lot harder to unlock one of the two sets, desperately seeking adults coming from a specific hatchling (I think it's curled) and you only need 15 to unlock the picture. Which implies that one variant is predominant in the overall population - it goes against my expectations how this should work, the data is probably too thin to allow for a real conclusion, etc. I still thought it was worth pointing out wink.gif

Edit: Of course you can tell IF the scroll is sorted by breed (and has at least one frozen sitting alt hatchie) because then they get separated by the sorting mechanism - but most scrolls don't fall in that category. Out of curiosity I did a temp sot thing and I have about double the number coming from sitting alts (hatchies and adults), not statistically significant with only about 30 alt Blacks but whatever.

Back a few years ago, we had about a 3 or 4 month period where EVERY bred black was a sitting alt. And I mean *every* single black egg that was bred was a sitting alt. You could tell the CBs in the Hatcheries: they were the only ones not sitting alts!

So why I think people find it harder to find the curled alts is because most of the readily found alts come from that 3 month period. And all of *them* were sitting.

I would not be surprised if the number of curled vs sitting was skewed in the favor of sitting, too.

Cheers!

C4.

The original question was about the actual hatchlings, or at least I thought it was, and so I thought that's what was being discussed. In any event, what you describe is quite possible in a semirandom system. Perhaps in six months (or whatnot) the situation will reverse itself. Also, randomness often doesn't look very random, especially with a small sample. We'd need access to numbers only TJ, if anyone, has, to know for sure.

... a lot of users experience that it's a lot harder to unlock one of the two sets, desperately seeking adults coming from a specific hatchling (I think it's curled) and you only need 15 to unlock the picture. Which implies that one variant is predominant in the overall population...

I have no TJ-based proof, but I'm pretty well convinced that pre-Encyclopedia no distinction was made between sitting and curled once they became adults, and that all adults were considered to have been sitting for purposes of Encyclopedia numbers. My proof for this is my own Alt Blacks. I meticulously sorted them based on which hatchling sprite they had, yet even clicking on the ones that I know were curled never did unlock the curled adults -- yet the overall adults viewed number did increase. The only way I was finally able to unlock them was to find as many post-Encyclopedia Alt adults as possible, in the hopes that they were recorded correctly.

I have no TJ-based proof, but I'm pretty well convinced that pre-Encyclopedia no distinction was made between sitting and curled once they became adults, and that all adults were considered to have been sitting for purposes of Encyclopedia numbers. My proof for this is my own Alt Blacks. I meticulously sorted them based on which hatchling sprite they had, yet even clicking on the ones that I know were curled never did unlock the curled adults -- yet the overall adults viewed number did increase. The only way I was finally able to unlock them was to find as many post-Encyclopedia Alt adults as possible, in the hopes that they were recorded correctly.

I'm not sure about this. Breed sort always separated adults based on what they came from, so while your encyclopedia issues are noted, I think the mechanic was there still.

I'm not sure about this. Breed sort always separated adults based on what they came from, so while your encyclopedia issues are noted, I think the mechanic was there still.

I hadn't even thought to see what breed sort does, good idea! I'm still not convinced, though. Sorting mine by breed results in all of my adult Alt Blacks being together, sorted by date, followed by all of the sitting hatchlings, followed by all of the curled hatchlings. If the adults had been distinguished based on their hatchling sprite, why would they be listed together, rather than being separated each with their respective hatchlings? Are you saying that you have pre-Encyclopedia Alt Black adults that are listed between the sitting and curled hatchlings when you breed sort? Or post-Encyclopedia Alt Black adults from curled hatchlings that are still listed alongside the sitting adults, all above both hatchling sprites? I have no post-Encyclopedia Alt Blacks to confirm that myself.

I hadn't even thought to see what breed sort does, good idea!  I'm still not convinced, though.  Sorting mine by breed results in all of my adult Alt Blacks being together, sorted by date, followed by all of the sitting hatchlings, followed by all of the curled hatchlings.  If the adults had been distinguished based on their hatchling sprite, why would they be listed together, rather than being separated each with their respective hatchlings?  Are you saying that you have pre-Encyclopedia Alt Black adults that are listed between the sitting and curled hatchlings when you breed sort?  Or post-Encyclopedia Alt Black adults from curled hatchlings that are still listed alongside the sitting adults, all above both hatchling sprites?  I have no post-Encyclopedia Alt Blacks to confirm that myself.

Yes, my breed sort puts adult blacks from sitting alts, then sitting hatchies, then adult blacks from curled hatchies, then curled hatchies. Both my curled adults are pre-encyclopedia (2010 and 2013).

Based on your results with sort and encyclopedia, it almost sounds like your dragons somehow changed from being classed as curled to sitting. That or you made a mistake with keeping track of which was which, but you sound like you were pretty meticulous about it.

Edit: wait, I'm using the sort by breed filter, not the sort by breed under scroll settings. Maybe that's the difference? Either way, the fact that breed filter can tell my old ones apart suggests the data was always kept.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

All of my Alts pre-date the Encyclopedia. However, when I use the Breed Sort on my scroll, all normal Blacks come first, 136 adults followed by 87 hatchlings.

The second group of Black adults are the 10 Alts raised from sitting hatchlings. The three sitting hatchlings follow them.

The third group of Black adults are the 2 Alts raised from curled hatchlings. My three curled hatchlings are the last of the group.

My current Encyclopedia Stats for the Blacks are:

Eggs Owned: 50

Hatchlings Owned: 60

Adults Raised: 29

Eggs Observed: 3

Hatchlings Observed: 239

Adults Observed: 866

My Curled Alt adults, and many from other players have been posted in the Encyclopedia Helpers thread, and through the dragons posted there, I was able to release the images for my copy of the Encyclopedia.