Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

26 minutes ago, Tetelestai said:

Does anyone know what the total number of unique breeds is? I have 282, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

i also have a count of 282

that is: i have 261 breeds on my scroll, and 21 on the list of "Breeds i Don't Have Yet (Or Don't Want)"

2 minutes ago, trystan said:

that is: i have 261 breeds on my scroll, and 21 on the list of "Breeds i Don't Have Yet (Or Don't Want)"

Thank you! ❤️

XD

18 hours ago, trystan said:

Does anyone know what the total number of unique breeds is? I have 282, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I was finally able to trade for a Neglected after all this time.  It was just luck that I happened to have what the trader was looking for on my scroll. If they wanted Gold or something as rare as that, I wouldn't have had a chance.  This brings my total up to 282. :D

I don't know quite where to put this question, as it concerns a name, but it doesn't belong in the Name Check thread.

I have a new egg with the code "hob" in it (like hobgoblin, or goblin). I plan to use its code as the name. 

Historically, have hobgoblins been male? I don't mean in recent times; I mean in ancient lore.  What I've been able to dig up is that they are male.  (I read a bit about them here.) 

If they are, then I may influence it male, but would prefer female (but I am kind of a stickler with historical stuff).  

If anyone can help with goblin lore, I would appreciate it. (Odd question, I know ... but my eggie!)

Edited by missy_

In the midlands we had a story about farm spirits that were called hobs, sometimes dobbys. They'd do chores in exchange for fresh cream and would be offended and either leave, or start playing pranks, if you attempted to give them clothes. They supposedly looked like tiny old men, but I don't know if that meant there weren't any female ones. They must reproduce somehow right? :P

18 minutes ago, missy_ said:

I don't know quite where to put this question, as it concerns a name, but it doesn't belong in the Name Check thread.

I have a new egg with the code "hob" in it (like hobgoblin, or goblin). I plan to use its code as the name. 

Historically, have hobgoblins been male? I don't mean in recent times; I mean in ancient lore.  What I've been able to dig up is that they are male.  (I read a bit about them here.) 

If they are, then I may influence it male, but would prefer female (but I am kind of a stickler with historical stuff).  

If anyone can help with goblin lore, I would appreciate it. (Odd question, I know ... but my eggie!)

There have been allusions in various stories to families of brownies, (and my grandmother always told us they were families in the garden) female house elves in Harry Potter, and Hobbits also have some roots in the tales of hobs. 

Not historic, but one of my beardies was also nicknamed Hob, short for Hatshepsut, a female Pharoah.

Hobbles are used to limit the movements of livestock, horses, cattle and sheep.

Hobbies? Well, I think being here qualifies. XD

Also, hobby horse and Holly Hobbie, author and illustrator.

32 minutes ago, missy_ said:

Hobgoblins are hairy little men. The word is believed to be a diminutive for "Robert" - also suggesting only male.  

Some games, notably Forgotten Realms, have added females, who are treated as property. and have no rights within hobgoblin society. But as far as I know, females are sort of recent inventions. Nothing to stop you making it female if you want, though. They must breed, to keep the species going, after all.

hopefully this question isn't too muddled:

so: supposing i pick up an egg from the AP with, say, 4d20h left, one of my vamps bites it - and it gets repulsed. (or it stays, but i decided to abandon it).  will the egg then go back into it's place on the AP with all the eggs that are around 4d20h left for someone else to pick up? (since i can't)

Edited by trystan
to add something else

hopefully this question isn't too muddled:

so: supposing i pick up an egg from the AP with, say, 4d20h left, one of my vamps bites it - and it gets repulsed.  will the egg then go back into it's place on the AP with all the eggs that are around 4d20h left for someone else to pick up? (since i can't)

Yes, because the egg would still be at 4d20h.

1 minute ago, purplehaze said:

Yes, because the egg would still be at 4d20h.

that's pretty much what i thought.

this is what happens when i think about stuff XD 

Is there anyway to put all growing hatchlings and eggs at the end while having all other dragons order by breed? I don't want to have the hatchlings in the front but I'm also trying to find a non-custom sorting way to do it...

Sorry if that's a dumb question but is that supposed to happen? That I get a Floret colour that none of the parents have? (Please excuse the bad quality...)

Screenshot_20210715-162544_Chrome.png

Edited by Mukouno

2 minutes ago, Mukouno said:

Sorry if that's a dumb question but is that supposed to happen? That I get a Floret colour that none of the parents have? (

Yes, that is normal.

I guess it's possible !

You can check this topic : 

It says that for example, a Gold Alstro Floret (Brown/Bronze egg) can be produced by a (Pink Alstro x Og Iris Floret), so I think the colors can behave like that !

Edit : Thanks @purplehaze !

Edited by calona

Thanks, I was just really confused, it just seemed weird to me getting a colour that no parent has lol... These Florets are a little hard to understand. 🥴

21 minutes ago, Mukouno said:

Sorry if that's a dumb question but is that supposed to happen? That I get a Floret colour that none of the parents have? (Please excuse the bad quality...)

Screenshot_20210715-162544_Chrome.png

The original gold florets can make original purples (and vice versa).

The original Florets can also breed three different variants when bred with the new peach Floret (just to add to the confusion!).

So you actually had a possibility of breeding 6 different eggs with that combination.

22 hours ago, _Ro_ said:

In the midlands we had a story about farm spirits that were called hobs, sometimes dobbys. They'd do chores in exchange for fresh cream and would be offended and either leave, or start playing pranks, if you attempted to give them clothes. They supposedly looked like tiny old men, but I don't know if that meant there weren't any female ones. They must reproduce somehow right? :P

I love this. XD It’s so specific and ... merry! ❤️  Doing chores for fresh cream, only fresh cream. Such a lovely thing to want. Your point about “they must reproduce somehow” is well taken!

22 hours ago, dragongrrl said:

There have been allusions in various stories to families of brownies, (and my grandmother always told us they were families in the garden) female house elves in Harry Potter, and Hobbits also have some roots in the tales of hobs. 

Not historic, but one of my beardies was also nicknamed Hob, short for Hatshepsut, a female Pharoah.

Hobbles are used to limit the movements of livestock, horses, cattle and sheep.

Hobbies? Well, I think being here qualifies. XD

Also, hobby horse and Holly Hobbie, author and illustrator.

I love that they are called brownies where you live.  Since they were families, I wonder if this means brownies were traditionally in your culture both male and female? (Now perhaps I understand why we were called Brownies (the club before one is old enough to be a Girl Scout). Love the name of your beardie! Yes, there were female elves in Harry Potter, although I consider that sort of a modern interpretation.  Not that I know much about elves.  I had not considered ever, despite being a huge LOTR fan, of the relationship between the word hobbits and tales of hobs!

22 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Hobgoblins are hairy little men. The word is believed to be a diminutive for "Robert" - also suggesting only male.  

Some games, notably Forgotten Realms, have added females, who are treated as property. and have no rights within hobgoblin society. But as far as I know, females are sort of recent inventions. Nothing to stop you making it female if you want, though. They must breed, to keep the species going, after all.

Thank you, fuzz. So that’s two of you who have said that traditionally, in your cultures, hobgoblins have been men. Plus the source I found.  (Not that I did a ton of digging. Figured it was more useful to ask people what was known about them in their own cultural tales passed down through generations.)  

True, I could make it female.  

~~~~~~

After careful consideration, I have decided to go the traditional route and influence it male. 

Thank you all for aiding my decision! ^_^

has the view/sickness mechanics been altered at all recently?

I've had more dragons get sick more quikly than I remember; while at least one of my eggs was viewbombed, i'm not sure why some of my eggs have been getting a lot of views, but not bomb-level views.

Also does it take more for them to hatch now?

I'm not sure what's going on but my view counts and point of hatching have been all over the place recently.

@_Ro_  Other people have noticed that it seems to take more overall stats to hatch/grow than it used to. I don't think there's been anything official said about it, but we've definitely noticed. That could also explain more sickness as well, if they need more stats than usual it may be easier than usual for them to get too many. Personally I've noticed an increase in views from hatcheries, as in my dragons seem to get more views faster after I put them in hatcheries, not sure if that's just an increase in people refreshing the hatcheries or what.

Thankyou, good to know i'm not just going crazy or forgot how to care for my eggies lol...

Would one of the devs/mods usually update us if there was a tweak to any mechanics or is that something that happens only behind the scenes?

Significant changes are usually announced in the News section, but smaller behind-the-scenes tweaks often aren't.

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

Personally I've noticed an increase in views from hatcheries, as in my dragons seem to get more views faster after I put them in hatcheries, not sure if that's just an increase in people refreshing the hatcheries or what.

I am not sure, because I haven’t kept close track of exactly what is happening, but for me, it seems like the problem is the hatcheries are not giving out enough views.  To clarify, those same views used to be enough to hatch my eggs and grow my hatchlings into adults.  But now, it seems like I have to put my eggs in a lot more hatcheries to get them to hatch and grow up.

Example/Clarification: Let’s say I used to put the eggs in Hatchery A, and that used to be enough to get them to a Stage 1 crack in X amount of time. But now, to get to that Stage 1 crack in X amount of time, I have to put them in Hatchery A, Hatchery B, and Hatchery C.

So for me, it doesn’t seem like they are getting more views from hatcheries (but maybe they are and I haven’t noticed, I could be wrong) but rather that they almost seem to be getting fewer views? Or if they are giving the same number of views, it seems like something has been adjusted to require them to need many more views in order to hatch. So much so that I have to put my eggs in numerous hatcheries to get them to grow. But again, maybe this isn’t what is happening at all. I haven’t kept records or anything.

It just feels like I have to work a lot harder now to get my dragons to grow up “on time.”  I think the italicized part above may be what is happening, but I’m not sure.