Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

You can use an ad blocker. On the forum you will just get no ads. On the cave you will get a banner reminding you that you can get an ad-free subscription.

2 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

You can use an ad blocker. On the forum you will just get no ads. On the cave you will get a banner reminding you that you can get an ad-free subscription.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, dragongrrl said:

What is the current position on ad blockers? I am having problems with offensive sexual content in ads both on the forum and in the Cave and reporting them to Google does nothing. The same ads come right back on the next page. I'm tired of seeing these sickening ads.

A few of us have reported sexual ads in the past. I think the consensus was that someone on your actual browser network is looking at it, so it can't really be addressed by TJ.  Using an ad blocker doesn't really hurt gameplay. It just makes a cute little kitty banner come up that asks you to unblock ads or buy a subscription. 

51 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

A few of us have reported sexual ads in the past. I think the consensus was that someone on your actual browser network is looking at it, so it can't really be addressed by TJ.  Using an ad blocker doesn't really hurt gameplay. It just makes a cute little kitty banner come up that asks you to unblock ads or buy a subscription. 

Yeah, I knew there were issue with ad blockers in the past but since there is nothing TJ can do, I've got to get rid of these.

BTW, this is on my phone, and I am the only one on the account. Never look at the kind of stuff in the ads, absolutely despise some of what is in the ads, so where does it all come from?

14 minutes ago, dragongrrl said:

Yeah, I knew there were issue with ad blockers in the past but since there is nothing TJ can do, I've got to get rid of these.

BTW, this is on my phone, and I am the only one on the account. Never look at the kind of stuff in the ads, absolutely despise some of what is in the ads, so where does it all come from?

If you're using your phone at work or somewhere with a shared network space/open wi-fi, it could be from that or if you searched certain keywords that might trigger it (even if it's not the same combination). I get ads for stupid stuff because I'm often playing DC on my phone at work. 

1 hour ago, dragongrrl said:

BTW, this is on my phone

So, just for your information, mobile phone IP addresses are a bit of a mess. Basically, each time your mobile phone connects to a different regional cell (the thing that gives "cell phones" their name), you get a new IP address. Especially if you're blocking advertising tracking through cookies, advertising might fall back to trying to guess your preferences via the IP address, so anyone connecting to your "home" cell (anyone in your neighbourhood) might be biasing the results (since you today might have the IP address they had yesterday).

That said, please continue reporting the advertisements to Google! They do care to prune stuff down to appearing only on appropriate sites, but it's both (1) a game of cat and mouse with malvertisement, which comes from advertisers who deliberately try to bypass Google's filters (which necessarily have to be automated, the ad volume through Google is way too large for manual moderation even of a large fleet of moderators), and (2) really tricky to keep in a stable state (whenever you're fighting the people from #1, sometimes bugs sneak in or edge cases change, and then you have the embarrassing effect that ads pop up in a context they're inappropriate in). The reports do add up to useful tickets, but yes, unfortunately you won't see immediate results.

In any case, good luck in getting rid of those ads!

I sent an actual report in to Google about a specific ad, and it stopped showing up for like a day, but that might have just been coincidence since it's back. I personally have nothing against the ads, but it's really frustrating and concerning to me that they are showing on a *game* site that plenty of *kids* play, so I'll continue to report them. 

Just now, HeatherMarie said:

I sent an actual report in to Google about a specific ad, and it stopped showing up for like a day, but that might have just been coincidence since it's back. I personally have nothing against the ads, but it's really frustrating and concerning to me that they are showing on a *game* site that plenty of *kids* play, so I'll continue to report them. 

Yes, please do! :D I realise the anonymity of the process and the lack of direct feedback can be frustrating, but it really helps.

Is there a best time of night for zombie attempts? Is midnight better than 5 a.m., for example? 

What about moon phases? Is a full moon a better time to try than a new moon, for example? What about a waxing or waning moon? 

I know it supposedly gets better near the 31st or end of the month (at least I think that is the case?) but not sure if time at night/moon phase/or even days of week might make a difference. 

Any insights appreciated. Thanks!

@missy_  Zombie chances in descending order:  Halloween (any time of day), the 31st of months that have 31 days (any time of day), 12am-6am any day, then any other time. As far as we know moon phases don't affect it, and I haven't seen any difference in my attempts at different times between 12-6am.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

@missy_  Zombie chances in descending order:  Halloween (any time of day), the 31st of months that have 31 days (any time of day), 12am-6am any day, then any other time. As far as we know moon phases don't affect it, and I haven't seen any difference in my attempts at different times between 12-6am.

Right, I knew about Halloween, the 31st of the month, “12 AM to 6 AM” any day, etc., the typical Zombie creation guidelines.

I was specifically wondering if anyone had indications that, for example, 5 AM might be less effective than midnight. Or if times closer to midnight were more effective. It sounds like you haven’t noticed anything there. I’m going to peruse the Zombie thread to see if I missed anything.

And yeah, I was wondering about moon phases, although there may not be any known connection. Don’t know if it’s been tested, but since everything around here pretty much is, someone probably has XD

It seems like if any moon would be affiliated with a Zombie, it might be a full moon. 

Edited by missy_

7 hours ago, missy_ said:

And yeah, I was wondering about moon phases, although there may not be any known connection. Don’t know if it’s been tested, but since everything around here pretty much is, someone probably has XD

It seems like if any moon would be affiliated with a Zombie, it might be a full moon. 

If you want to experiment with the moon phases, keep in mind there are two moons for Valkemare! :D The next time both Aurax and Cirion are full is the 5th of May, if you want to try for that. (Contrast to the ones in real life, slated for the 26th of April and 26th of May.)

Posted (edited)

@missy_ the only tiers of zombie-making tj has confirmed are the date-based ones, which, at the time he answered and aside from the regular nighttime one, had the same odds for all 24 hours. Given he also exposed the existence of a previously-unknown tier (Halloween week), I don't think he secretly implemented anything regarding moon phases.

Edited by Shadowdrake

So for Itus/Orange Cantos does anyone know if an egg offered up for a pre-existing trade will hatch orange when it is accepted, or does just the first egg that was put up for the trade? Like if I wanted to receive a canto egg through a trade that I initiated would that count as using the BSA teleport on the received egg?

16 minutes ago, Arcy said:

@AmaNoGawa It doesn't matter which, as long as the trade is completed it will turn orange

Thank you! I was hoping it'd be like that

Am I right in thinking I can never get a red spinel from an earth dragon ? (I just got a female monarch from a red, and I will never be able to make a checker, will I ?) I just had a faint glimmer that something was tweaked to make it JUST possible ?

40 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Am I right in thinking I can never get a red spinel from an earth dragon ? (I just got a female monarch from a red, and I will never be able to make a checker, will I ?) I just had a faint glimmer that something was tweaked to make it JUST possible ?

I think the tweak was only for PB Spinels :(

Oh.

Woe.

Oh well :)

is there any way to tell what the now-vampire dragon was, before it was bit, if it's from a Sunsong Amphiptere x Seragamma Wyvern paring?

if not, it's all right - i'm just curious

29 minutes ago, trystan said:

is there any way to tell what the now-vampire dragon was, before it was bit, if it's from a Sunsong Amphiptere x Seragamma Wyvern paring?

if not, it's all right - i'm just curious

Nope, Vampires change the breed completely, unlike Undeads who retain their origin information.

Judging solely by the rarity of both Sunsong and Seragamma, I would guess that it used to be a Seragamma egg.

(That's my personal judgement of Sunsong and Seragamma rarity - they're both at 100 shards.)

1 minute ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Nope, Vampires change the breed completely, unlike Undeads who retain their origin information.

Judging solely by the rarity of both Sunsong and Seragamma, I would guess that it used to be a Seragamma egg.

ah, cool.  good to know.  thanks! :)

For some reason I no longer remember, I was using a blurry copy of my Water Walker banner in my signature.  Today, while looking around in some old files that I had saved from one of my old computers, I found what I believe to be the original of that banner.  So, I went right over and tried to switch them.  That was successful. IMHO, that banner looks as good as new. 

Unfortunately, in the process, my ARK banner disappeared and my other three banners changed to writing.  I copied another ARK banner and put it back in my scroll, but I have no idea how to fix my other banners.  Can anyone advise me what to do about this?