Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

8 minutes ago, Charu said:

Are 2020 Valentines from the cave *that* rare or am I going crazy? It seems like I’ve never seen a single one but I’ve seen every other year dozens of times over. 

The most recent release holidays are always the rarest, either because there's only been one year to catch up (compared to older years) or because TJ intentionally made the drops rarer by youngest age to avoid the oldest being perpetually rare. So no, you're not imagining it.

5 hours ago, Nine said:

Why did mods lock the 'remove name exclusivity' thread instead of just warning the people doing whatever it is that's against the rules? Shutting down an entire topic hardly seems productive. The suggestion board is pretty much useless anyways since there's rarely any admin feedback or concrit, might as well let people discuss the philosophy behind idealistic changes.

What constitutes a heated topic anyhow. Is passive aggressive use of italics and capitals heated, or sarcasm? Were the offending posts deleted? Sometimes it's hard to follow anything on the forums these days, alas.

People sniping at each other, name calling, yes passive-aggressiveness, and the fact that its the second time they had to issue a lot of warnings at once. Which, is what the topic locked note said.

Though, the thread wasn't really going anywhere just constantly circular arguments. Thus the thread was not at all productive and locking it means people can maybe cool off and come back later should the topic be re-opened. Entire threads are shut down when few if any of the participants aren't involved in whatever the problem is.

3 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

People sniping at each other, name calling, yes passive-aggressiveness, and the fact that its the second time they had to issue a lot of warnings at once. Which, is what the topic locked note said.

Though, the thread wasn't really going anywhere just constantly circular arguments. Thus the thread was not at all productive and locking it means people can maybe cool off and come back later should the topic be re-opened. Entire threads are shut down when few if any of the participants aren't involved in whatever the problem is.

This. Nothing new but trading insults in pages and pages. Points that had been made hundreds of times were just being made again - over and over; it was just "I want it this way" "well, I don't so that's not going to happen" stuff. Basically it was meaningless. Unless TJ had come in to say it will/won't happen and the issues are this and this - there was no use to it.

I'm a bit confused (and annoyed). I don't remember when it first happened but I suppose it has been the case for the past couple Holiday breeding seasons.

When I try to breed some Holiday x (non-)Holiday pairs, even though this exact pair has produced Holiday offsprings before, the mate doesn't show up on top as it does normally with a previously successfully bred dragon. In other Holiday x Holiday pairs though, the mate DOES show up, as you can see below. (And no, I didn't breed the mate in the first example in the past seven days; after I took the screenshot, I proceeded to breed this exact pair and they now have two more children together.)

1748474974_RAxSolsticeprogeny.thumb.png.ec5558ebe91f4ac15ba9242aa5e5be86.png879846851_RAxSolstice.thumb.png.b3d8c6bc43829518f193914f697f3d34.png

1025892175_RAxSolsticeprogeny2.thumb.png.76f555f6a8f8968df91cd61ee3ae16e1.png1681090624_RAxSolsticebreedingpartner.thumb.png.f3563b7f69bec46c85b4e2a0cb3a7b3d.png

Why is that? Is it a bug? Has a change been made in the past that prevents Holiday mates being shown on top for newer pairs maybe? But then I also bred a Sweetling x Silver pair that had Sweetling children last year and hasn't been bred since and there the Silver mate didn't show up either?

Edited by MiaLily

There has indeed be a change, to avoid accidental refusals between mates that had only bred during a holiday before.

Before the change, holiday breedings could "calculate" that a given pair refused each other, which you would only notice when trying to breed them again afterwards.

This was never an issue or even noticed before Fertility was modified to prevent refusals. With the fresh Fertility, people would apply it to a pair that had only been bred during a holiday before and still possibly get a refusal - because that had already been calculated secretly during the holiday breeding.

Hence, a pair involving a holiday breed that has been bred during its holiday season for the first time will NOT store that it had been bred - that information will be lost as soon as the eggs pop into existence.

Pairs bred prior to that change still have that information stored, and apparently won't lose it.

8 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

This. Nothing new but trading insults in pages and pages. Points that had been made hundreds of times were just being made again - over and over; it was just "I want it this way" "well, I don't so that's not going to happen" stuff. Basically it was meaningless. Unless TJ had come in to say it will/won't happen and the issues are this and this - there was no use to it.

Whether the topic is productive or not is up for interpretation. The suggestion itself is innocuous and, imo, worthy of open discussion to anyone who has something worthwhile to add. If two people want to talk about the same thing ad nauseam then whatever, they can be asked to take it to PM, doesn't mean the discussion should end for everyone else.

Methinks some people develop thin skin from the confrontation of differing opinions =o Regardless, mods shouldn't be babysitters-- warning the offending people serves the goal of ending conflict, making them aware of what lines were crossed, and spares a good discussion. If you think the suggestion was meaningless anyways then... well, don't know what to tell you.

2 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

There has indeed be a change, to avoid accidental refusals between mates that had only bred during a holiday before.

Before the change, holiday breedings could "calculate" that a given pair refused each other, which you would only notice when trying to breed them again afterwards.

This was never an issue or even noticed before Fertility was modified to prevent refusals. With the fresh Fertility, people would apply it to a pair that had only been bred during a holiday before and still possibly get a refusal - because that had already been calculated secretly during the holiday breeding.

Hence, a pair involving a holiday breed that has been bred during its holiday season for the first time will NOT store that it had been bred - that information will be lost as soon as the eggs pop into existence.

Pairs bred prior to that change still have that information stored, and apparently won't lose it.

It's actually really frustrating because on my phone it's a very very long way to scroll down to find that mate again. :(

3 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Thanks, Ruby! I actually kinda remember the Fertility issue now.

3 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Hooray, so I'm in luck for the few pairs that were bred before Val'18. So unfortunate that those are the minority...

1 hour ago, Lagie said:

It's actually really frustrating because on my phone it's a very very long way to scroll down to find that mate again. :(

It is super annoying. I either have to consult my off-site spreadsheet or first check progeny, copy the name and then go back to actions. It's good to know at least that it is not just me who struggles with this, sorry. I might even open a thread in Suggestions. I just don't know yet what to suggest. I mean, I get the issue with Holiday x Non-Holiday pairings but it doesn't make much sense for Holiday x Holiday pairings since they will never ever be able to refuse since they will always just be able to breed during their respective holidays. So I guess I want an exception for them that I will not be getting. -_-

3 minutes ago, MiaLily said:

I might even open a thread in Suggestions. I just don't know yet what to suggest.

Something along the lines of "Make holiday x holiday pairs remember their past mating in-season"?

12 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Something along the lines of "Make holiday x holiday pairs remember their past mating in-season"?

I do like that. But I can also already see how it will be shot down by arguments like "too difficult to code" or "why should those be specially treated" and "it should be consistent across the board" (which I kinda actually agree with :rolleyes: ).

I will ponder it while I breed all of my RA x Solstice pairs to flood the AP with them. Eventually.

Argh, it's just so frustrating that by solving one problem another was created.

1 minute ago, MiaLily said:

arguments like "too difficult to code"

Honestly, the only response to that one is "TJ needs to judge that."

And in my opinion, it shouldn't be too difficult for the site to check a dragon's progeny page for past mates ...

I thought black Sweetlings were a gift for the error in 2010 where a bunch of Sweetlings that were picked up suddenly disappeared. How come there are now black Sweetling hatchlings that have been born in 2021? Do they hatch like that now if they have a black Sweetling parent? Does it change if it's traded to someone else who was not affected by the bug? What happens if you breed it and you were not affected by the bug?

1 minute ago, Charu said:

I thought black Sweetlings were a gift for the error in 2010 where a bunch of Sweetlings that were picked up suddenly disappeared. How come there are now black Sweetling hatchlings that have been born in 2021? Do they hatch like that now if they have a black Sweetling parent? Does it change if it's traded to someone else who was not affected by the bug? What happens if you breed it and you were not affected by the bug?

You are correct, CB Black Sweets were a gift for scrolls affected by that glitch. Those scrolls used to strictly grow Black Sweets. Conversely, unaffected scrolls grow just Pinks. If you trade hatchies, they just converted to the colour, dictated by your scroll. 

This was controversial and eventually a change happened. Now, Black Sweetling scrolls can grow Pink Sweetlings, providing the Sweetling has pink parents. They can also have Black Sweets, if the parent Sweet is Black. 

Unaffected scrolls have just pink still, if you trade a black hatch to a pink scroll, I believe it just converts to pink. 

I hope that makes sense XD its hard to explain. 

Now I wonder. What would happen if a 2G Sweet Salt offspring landed on a Black Sweet scroll. Would it be black or pink?

12 minutes ago, Charu said:

The way black sweetlings worked from the start was if you (an alt sweet owner) got a sweetling, it turned black, if someone got a sweet from you, it turned pink. Think snow angels. Dependent on scroll not lineage.

A few years back TJ said 'black bred sweets are not a thing anymore, all will be pink' but everyone was like 'wHAt' so Now they can only be black if bred from an alt sweet and on an alt sweet. (I'm unsure if they must hatch on an alt scroll, i dont think so) killing alternating lineages and still making everyone nearly as upset.

it's more of a curiosity.  hollyday eggs drop december 25, 26 and 27.  valentine eggs drop feb 14. 15, and 16.

why do halloween dragons drop only october 31, and not nov 1 and 2 also?

why do new egg drops go from midnight until only like noon or 1 p.m. (maybe 2 p.m.) .... before new eggs start mixing in?

i mean, i get that it's up to TJ, and it's his site and his rules, so it's obviously ultimately up to him. :) 

maybe the new egg drops could be midnight til midnight before new eggs finally mix in?

just my random thoughts, is all.....

4 hours ago, trystan said:

it's more of a curiosity.  hollyday eggs drop december 25, 26 and 27.  valentine eggs drop feb 14. 15, and 16.

why do new egg drops go from midnight until only like noon or 1 p.m. (maybe 2 p.m.) .... before new eggs start mixing in?

i mean, i get that it's up to TJ, and it's his site and his rules, so it's obviously ultimately up to him. :) 

maybe the new egg drops could be midnight til midnight before new eggs finally mix in?

New release floods are, honestly, a mystery. To my knowledge there isn't a known number of hours they flood, it can vary drastically (last year we had a few floods that approached 24 hours!). I'm assuming it's based on things like ratios and rarity and internal stuff that no one but TJ knows. There have been a number of Suggestions regarding lengthening new release floods and such, but they all come with drawbacks (mainly, because of ratios, if a new release floods for too long then after the flood ends they will be super-rare and hard to find, that's happened a few times in the past). 

As for holidays... Well, there are different theories there too. Since Halloweens are unlimited, compared to v-days and holidays that only allow 2 cbs per person, they drop for a shorter amount of time so (in theory) people can only get one 'batch'. Of course that doesn't stop people from trading for a ton after their batch hatches, so I'm not sure that 'explanation' holds water. 

4 hours ago, trystan said:

Holiday drops do not have other stuff mixing in. Only valentines eggs will drop for all 3 days.

Halloween is about being greedy and grabbing all you can, thus why no limits. Persumably 3 days of this would be too much as people could hatch a full set and grab more.

Regular drops have other things mix in based on ratios. The rarer the dragon the sooner other eggs will seen. Otherwise it would skew the ratios toi much, and that egg would not be seen for months, possibly years. (Its happened see gold/silver flood)

thank you both @HeatherMarie and @DragonLady86!

that actually does help with a bit more understanding of how some of these things work.  you learn something new every day, and i've been here since December of 2008, too!

also, DragonLady, i LOVE your profile pic - i have two black floofy cats (and a total of 3-1/2 black cats!) XD 🖤

49 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

As for holidays... Well, there are different theories there too. Since Halloweens are unlimited, compared to v-days and holidays that only allow 2 cbs per person, they drop for a shorter amount of time so (in theory) people can only get one 'batch'. Of course that doesn't stop people from trading for a ton after their batch hatches, so I'm not sure that 'explanation' holds water. 

Well, it does mean that not everyone can load up to the max. ;)

Whats the max number of colours I can put on and egg for dragon requests? (incidently, max numbers for dragons would be nice to know too!)

Miss Haze? Since you are an  All knowing, Dragon Goddess, Can you please tell me if I stare at my eggs, my dragons grow slower? These eggs seem to take foReVer.🙄

14 minutes ago, Suzan said:

Miss Haze? Since you are an  All knowing, Dragon Goddess, Can you please tell me if I stare at my eggs, my dragons grow slower? These eggs seem to take foReVer.🙄

XD Yes, I can verify that! Or it certainly seems so!

1 hour ago, Murkydepths said:

Whats the max number of colours I can put on and egg for dragon requests? (incidently, max numbers for dragons would be nice to know too!)

Personally, I don't think there are specific limits on egg or dragon sprites, but I found this tidbit by a spriter you might know:

I hope this helps?

Someone just now told me to post my questions here... although I see that the last post here was in 2015.

All right then:

I've been away for quite a while, and could use a quick reference guide as to which dragons have which abilities.( I used to breed a lot, and I remember that there were special functions for red, purple and pink dragons, for example.)

Can someone provide a link to a thread or a place in the wiki that explains the various dragon abilities so I can start being active again?

Thanks if anyone can help!