Obscure_Trash

Tiny Little Questions

I never noticed there are 5 different spirit ward sprites! Question - do frozen spirit ward hatchlings change their color? Or do they stay the color they are at when they got frozen?

Dont have one frozen myself so can't check, but curious because I saw that the hatchling sprite look slightly different too

Huh, never froze any ... but since frozen Nocturne hatchlings change according to time of day, too, I suspect that Spirit Ward hatchies do the same.

52 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

I suspect that it would show you the link if you viewed it at the time-of-day it reached your scroll. Spirit Ward adults and, hardly visible, also the hatchlings change their sprite - they glow during the night, and are completely dark during the day.

Those Spirit Ward eggs don't display any difference, but from your report it seems they still count as different sprites during the day/night as far as the site is concerned. So Fuzz is right: you may need to observe or catch (or breed) more Spirit Ward eggs at different times until all 5 eggs in your Encyclopedia are unlocked. Each individual can count for being owned, hatched, or raised only once, and observed once every 30 days (by which time your egg cannot be an egg anymore) so other eggs will need to do the trick.

@Fuzzbucket Actually, I found these links to unlock per stage. 1 owned for eggs, 2 owned/hatched per hatchling, 3 for raised adults - for standard breeds. Those with additional colours and variations need plenty of extra attention ...

Normally, when we get a new release, the Encyclopedia entry isn't there until a week later or so. You and I are usually on top of things on DC, which is why we never get to see the link on new release eggs XD

I've never found it at less than 5 for an owned adult. Now I have to go and look....

But this isn't about unlocking as such - I've never found the link shows till the main entry (sprite on the main encyclopaedia page) is unfogged.

ETA yes hatchies change - Ruby - look at your encyclopedia page - I imagine you have all  stages unlocked, so you can see.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

See, I was not lucky enough to catch a Staterae on that initial release drop, I had to buy them from the Market. This means I was NOT able to unlock all the sprites before the Encyclopedia entry even was up, which is what usually happens for a common release. That's probably why it looks to you that you need to raise heaps of them before the Encyclopedia entry lets you see what they're called.

So I can tell you: the link to the Encyclopedia shows up the moment you unlock the sprites for that stage you are looking at. edit: in case of breeds like Spirit Wards or Coppers, you need to unlock the sprites for that stage AND that colour.

I've unlocked the Staterae hatchlings by observing first because there were plenty of them in the hatcheries from the initial drop. 10 hatchlings observed: link shows up on the 11th.

I had to hunt down some eggs (5) in hatcheries to get it to unlock for me on the Market, which was already difficult because those darn things are frigging RARE.

Then I had to wait a while until adults showed up in hatcheries to unlock those by observing 15 of them. I knew that I had observed enough of them the moment the first one shows that link: that was the 16th I clicked.

So: Yes, this is about unlocking.

Try it yourself next time you happen to be unlucky for a new release.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

4 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

you may need to observe or catch (or breed) more Spirit Ward eggs at different times until all 5 eggs in your Encyclopedia are unlocked.

But I can see all the 5 egg sprites (although they look the same to me) when I go to the Encyclopedia page. Also for every other breed (I was away from DC for ~4 years so I missed a LOT of new breeds) I have owned 1 egg and everything else is 0, I can see the encyclopedia link on the /view/ of my egg page. It just doesn't work for Spirit Ward eggs.

The eggs are all the same. The hatchlings aren't. Can you see all the hatchlings and all the adults ?

image.png.8be6d2cf23d356446cbb024fe5355b55.png

Wow... You can see the stats I had to build up ! (I don't visit them very often, so that well be what I did to unlock ! I remember staying up all night to get the last lot... 

Can you show a screenie of your encylopaedia page ?

4 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

See, I was not lucky enough to catch a Staterae on that initial release drop, I had to buy them from the Market. This means I was NOT able to unlock all the sprites before the Encyclopedia entry even was up, which is what usually happens for a common release. That's probably why it looks to you that you need to raise heaps of them before the Encyclopedia entry lets you see what they're called.

So I can tell you: the link to the Encyclopedia shows up the moment you unlock the sprites for that stage you are looking at. edit: in case of breeds like Spirit Wards or Coppers, you need to unlock the sprites for that stage AND that colour.

I've unlocked the Staterae hatchlings by observing first because there were plenty of them in the hatcheries from the initial drop. 10 hatchlings observed: link shows up on the 11th.

I had to hunt down some eggs (5) in hatcheries to get it to unlock for me on the Market, which was already difficult because those darn things are frigging RARE.

Then I had to wait a while until adults showed up in hatcheries to unlock those by observing 15 of them. I knew that I had observed enough of them the moment the first one shows that link: that was the 16th I clicked.

So: Yes, this is about unlocking.

Try it yourself next time you happen to be unlucky for a new release.

Oh, this is exactly what I went through.  Lots of fun.  (not)

I was browsing the article about "The Change" on the wiki and came across this information about hatchling freezing:

TJ09 released a tool that let people take existing "S1 frozen" hatchlings (which are accomplished merely by low views) and "convert" them to proper S1 frozens.

Does it mean that frozen s1 hatchlings used to reach s2 if they had the stats to or that hatchlings would somehow freeze on their own if their views were low enough?

I think it's more likely to be the former but I thought I'd ask anyway to make sure since I joined after all that happened

1 hour ago, Chaos Rider said:

I was browsing the article about "The Change" on the wiki and came across this information about hatchling freezing:

TJ09 released a tool that let people take existing "S1 frozen" hatchlings (which are accomplished merely by low views) and "convert" them to proper S1 frozens.

Does it mean that frozen s1 hatchlings used to reach s2 if they had the stats to or that hatchlings would somehow freeze on their own if their views were low enough?

I think it's more likely to be the former but I thought I'd ask anyway to make sure since I joined after all that happened

They did indeed change. I carefully created an S1 zombie which gendered a few days later. That tool made ALL the difference 1

A very strange question on the kind of in world concept of vampire and neglected dragon:

I just realized that you CAN bite and convert a xeno egg. So, how do they get legs and wings if they did end up turning? It's like undead before adding all the different sprites - I can't seem to make sense of that in world...is there an explanation for this in world (magic or something that allows them to grow extra limbs?) or is it a potential mistake and will be reworked on in the future?

6 minutes ago, Moriaty said:

A very strange question on the kind of in world concept of vampire and neglected dragon:

I just realized that you CAN bite and convert a xeno egg. So, how do they get legs and wings if they did end up turning? It's like undead before adding all the different sprites - I can't seem to make sense of that in world...is there an explanation for this in world (magic or something that allows them to grow extra limbs?) or is it a potential mistake and will be reworked on in the future?

Same reason we used to only have one zombie sprite. No one has made new ones for the other body types. Though I think there was(is?) a thread somewhere that was trying for vampires. Until new sprites are actually made and approved you get one version.

I personally see vamps as different than undeads in that sense, Vamps have a special ability to (somehow) change *what* is inside that egg. Whether it's a xeno or whatever else, it's not like an undead where it's just the 'undead' version of that body type, it's turning the egg into a completely different breed. And, since it's only possible with eggs, my thinking is the fetus just wasn't done developing and so whatever the vamp did changed the development of their body. 

I mean, game-wise it's obviously also because there is just one body-type of vamp in the game, but that's my head-canon.

Yep, since irl fetuses also look a lot different from what they're actually born as, vampires and neglected disease forces the fetus to develop a completely different way. (Plus, zombie dragons actually keep the info of what their original breed used to be, but vampires and neglecteds don't, so that would be a bit harder to make different body types for.)

Do hatchlings that die of low time or egg that die of vampire bite count towards kill limit? I'm really confused because two kill slots should've come back tonight for me and only one did and it must'd been either of these two things affecting the kill count...? I thought only using "Kill" like the button on the dragon action page counts, but apparently not...?

And btw thanks for answering that @DragonLady86 @HeatherMarie @Shadowdrake. Makes sense if we're messing around the egg when it's at fetus state it might go a completely different direction in development..

Edited by Moriaty

1 hour ago, Moriaty said:

Do hatchlings that die of low time or egg that die of vampire bite count towards kill limit? I'm really confused because two kill slots should've come back tonight for me and only one did and it must'd been either of these two things affecting the kill count...? I thought only using "Kill" like the button on the dragon action page counts, but apparently not...?

Accidentally letting anything die like newbies would (sickness, time-out) don't take kill slots, but having a dragon destroy an egg (vampires, green dragons) takes a kill slot.

so my plan, for one of my naming scheme (characters from a tv show), is a CB Purple and a CB Gold, and HOPEFULLY i get a Gold baby from them.

the question is - has it ever happened, that a Gold might be their first egg? or will there be lots* of purple babies running around DC before a Gold ever happens?

*and by lots i mean LOTS! (25? 50? 300? however many time i want to try to breed them before i just give up and breed my gold to an out-of-season holiday?) XD

Edited by trystan
proofread first, THEN post. *sigh*

12 minutes ago, trystan said:

so my plan, for one of my naming scheme (characters from a tv show), is a CB Purple and a CB Gold, and HOPEFULLY i get a Gold baby from them.

the question is - has it ever happened, that a Gold might be their first egg? or will there be lots* of purple babies running around DC before a Gold ever happens?

*and by lots i mean LOTS! (25? 50? 300? however many time i want to try to breed them before i just give up and breed my gold to an out-of-season holiday?) XD

Each breeding, including the first, has a chance of being a metallic, it's just a very small chance. The Release History of Dragon Cave Spiral breeding project, for example, got a Gold out of a Purple x Gold pairing after just two tries (we're still baffled by that!) --> https://dragcave.net/progeny/Ff3nu

2 hours ago, pinkgothic said:

Each breeding, including the first, has a chance of being a metallic, it's just a very small chance. The Release History of Dragon Cave Spiral breeding project, for example, got a Gold out of a Purple x Gold pairing after just two tries (we're still baffled by that!) --> https://dragcave.net/progeny/Ff3nu

well that's very cool though!

so.... i'll give it a try! maybe i'll get lucky.  if not, i'll be giving away a lot of purple eggies! 

(i'm still cave stalking for the purple anyway, i just started earlier today, and i haven't done a lot of stalking. XD)

I bought 2 market Stateraes, one to be a mate for my original Stat and another to pair off with a holiday on my scroll. I bred the wrong 2 together:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/eq3TT

If I kill the egg will it still show up under children? I had originally wanted to name my market stats after a pair of siblings but now I don't want to because of the mistake .-.

Edited by Serotina

20 minutes ago, Serotina said:

I bought 2 market Stateraes, one to be a mate for my original Stat and another to pair off with a holiday on my scroll. I bred the wrong 2 together:

https://dragcave.net/lineage/eq3TT

If I kill the egg will it still show up under children? I had originally wanted to name my market stats after a pair of siblings but now I don't want to because of the mistake .-.

It will for two weeks and then it disappears. I did that with a mistaken aquilo pairing.

So...what happens if you kill a leetle tree? Are you then able to grab another one from forest? I just realized that there is a kill action available under its action menu

You cannot. The leetle tree is too cute to kill. :)

Edited by Dirtytabs